Stone 13th Anniversary Ale | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by seaoflament on 06-29-2009

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

22 oz. bomber poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Very dark, hazy, cherry red color. the pour produced about one and a half fingers of tan head that receeded to a thin rim, and left some, yet unimpressive lace.

A: Very hop forward in the nose, I could smell them as soon as I cracked the bottle. Also get a good amout of caramel, and sweet malts.

T: This one is balanced quite nicely. I get a healthy amount of sugary, sweet malts, and a good dose of citrusy, and grassy hops. The beer finishes dry, with just a touch of the alcohol heat.

M: Rather full body. Has a syrupy mouthfeel, with light to moderate carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is above average here. At 9.5% ABV I will have no problem finishing the bomber. Overall, good offering from Stone, not my favorite of their anniversary seires, but none the less a solid choice. Skal.

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Pours a cola color with amber hues. Head is unimpressive.

S: The best part about this beer. It is like sticking your nose into a bag of American hop cones.

T: Darker roast caramel malts do their best to compete with the hop bitterness. The complexity rivals that of black coffee.

M: Medium bodied with somewhat of a lingering finish.

D: I doubt I'd want to follow it with another bomber, but it was a good beer.

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Told not to cellar, BUT I'M A MAVERICK. I had a few of these fresh a few years back and thought they were quite good, so I saved one for a 5 year tasting. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Dark red with pretty decent head formation. Reading previous reviews, it seems the head does develop over time. The agitator in the Duvel tulip certainly doesn't hurt, I'm sure.

S: I read the 2012 reviews and saw a lot about the alcohol. I'm really only getting a little of that, so I guess the extra 2 years have really helped on that front. Some toffee and sweet malts up front, with a slight hint of currants.

T: Very, very sweet, caramel and molasses dominate. I think a year earlier would've been a better call for this, but I was bound and determined for a 5-year review. That currant/raisin flavor sticks around a bit. Decently long finish - honestly, a minute or so after the last sip is when this beer gets really interesting, with the raisins and molasses dominating.

M: Medium- to full-bodied, surprised the rest of the flavors don't stick around longer.

O: This one was pretty solid fresh (wish I would've reviewed it back then), but 5 years really is too long. I could see maybe 3 or 4 being worthwhile. I don't really get Stone's insistence that you "Do Not Cellar. Enjoy in 2009." I had this as part of a 3-year vertical in 2010, with 2008, 2009, and 2010 anniversaries, and I recall 2009 standing out above the others (and those were pretty solid fresh). I remember thinking I had a gem on my hands but I guess it was just slightly too long.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a very dark ruby with earthier tones near its heart.Solid white head hangs out on top. Fades fairly quickly but leaves a solid ring around the top of the beer. Tons of lacing left on the glass. Awful Perdy.

Smells yummy. Huge pine with some sweeter grapefruit notes. Underneath is a touch of alcohol. Lots of nice caramel hitting up the back with some toasted nuts.

This is nearly a highly hopped barley wine. There's lots of dark fruit going on. Some fig and date and raisins. You've got the other side coming through now, some grapefruit, lemon, orange, and small pine. Heavy on the bitter side.

Sticky and chewy. Nicely carbonated. Finding it pretty smooth here.

The drinkability is good from a "the alcohol is not overwhelming" perspective, but the high bitterness puckers the lips a bit and devastates any other flavors you hope to experience.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

After having enjoyed a few Stone beers in Southern California recently I found this beer at my favorite local beer store. Expecting another strong Stone beer I was not disappointed but rather a bit confused. This was a good beer start to finish but was unlike some of the other Stone products. I have not been fortunate enough to try some of the previous anniversary products but will stay on the look out now.

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a chalice glass this beer poured a mahogany red amber with a tan full fine head. The head dissipated quickly and left some lacing at the top of the glass but little down the sides. Some head remained on to the finish. The floral hop profile was not as prominent as some of the other Stone beers which allowed the malts to show through. The immediate taste was also the malts with a tinge of hops and a long clean finish, which is highlighted by aspirating as you taste this beer. The body is medium to full and had a good amount of carbonation which was nice for the balance.

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone you weird bastards what the hell is this thing?

The appearance is cool. It has a really really dark amber color and if I am not totally losing my mind I think that it has very faint hues of purple in it. It came with a small half finger head and left quickly. The lacing on this one it thick though, just molesting my glass with gooey mess.

The smell is awesome. You can smell the Stone hops that they use, terrific.

The taste is weirdly good. I do not believe that this is a strong ale, but an Imperial Red Ale, wait is that the definition of a strong ale? The strong ale definition is so loose that a lot of brews coming out these days are strong ales. Either way, malt and hops, but more light malt than anything. Did you hear what they did to this thing?!?
"This is the first time we've ever released the Imperial/Double Red style.
2 We used more pounds of hops per barrel than any beer we've ever made.
3 We used Chinook hops in the brewhouse for bittering and flavor, then dry-hopped this beer with a 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Centennial.
4 As an added bonus, we then dry-hopped it again, just prior to filtering and packaging. That's right, our popular double dry-hopped process, for the first time ever in one of our bottled beers! "

Unfortunately it is not as good as it might sound. I think they might of overloaded this thing with two many ingredients. It kind of tastes a little blundered and confused. There is deffinetly a malt and hop presence, but I feel like they are fighting each other too much.

I would buy this again and drink it for sure. I recommend for anyone that likes Red Ales, Stone IPA, and hop bombs. It is for sure a unique brew.
J

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

22 picked up at the COOP on Friday.. I think for about $7.. but I don't remember exactly... poured into my shaped SA glass... I could easily smell this one at arms length even with the ceiling fan moving the air around.

Fairly aggressive pour brought up a thick custard like 2" tan head... the brew is an obvious hop hazed deeep amber brew.. very red and fairly hazy.

Wow.. the aroma is as advertised... thick nose hair coating hoppiness with a fair amount of caramel malts.. toasted biscuits come to mind.. and pithy grapefruit zest... already seems like too much of a good thing... a bunch of maltiness for sure.. but the hops blow things out of the water.

Flavor has the blast of almost tannic hoppy bitterness at the front.. gives way for a moment to a thick bodied caramel/toasty maltiness and that gets drenched in an oily hoppiness... citrus zest... white pith bitterness.. pine sap.. and chewing on evergreen needless with a punch of tangerine zest.

The body is thick... and carbonation pushes everything to the front.. hoppy burps that seem more flammable than any where near pleasant... finish just lingers for days.. sticky and oily.. wow.. I want to know how they did this one... impressive.

Unapologetic.. and no where near balanced.. but I am digging this one, but it is too brash... there is just toooo many things going on... the only reason I want another sip.. let alone another bottle is just to reaffirm the punishing beating my palate is taking..

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into two St. Bernardus goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

A: Pours a dark, rusty, copper-brown color. Small cap of off-white head left just a bare minimum of lace on the glass.

S: Aromas of dark, roasty malt, dark fruit, metals, caramel, toffee, and nuts.

T: See above, with hints of citrus, cherry, and more toasty/roasty malt.

M: Bitter, dry, and twangy. Rough, astringent finish.

D: Drinkability was better than I expected, but we felt a little let down by this beer. I guess maybe we weren't in the mood for the style.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is very dark red or amber in color. It has a nice tan head and good lacing.
S: This is the best part of this beer. It has typical Stone hoppy aromas that smell Like citrus pine and grapefruit. Very typical smell of California DIPA's.
T: This is where it falls apart for me. It tastes like they used too many bittering and dry hops and not enough late addition. Very bitter and grassy flavor at the end. Very strong body so it needs the hops to stand out, but I much prefer SSR or Ruination.
M: It has good carbonation but leaves a sticky hop oil residue that is umpleasant compared to some of their other beers.
D: I don't think I would ever want to drink more than one. This is the 2nd time I have had this and I won't ever buy it again even though it is almost gone. SSR and Ruination are much tastier and easier to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

13 already? It seems like 10th was just the most current one. Oh well, bottoms up!

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Victory willibecker a dark reddish copper. A 2-finger high cream-colored head forms on top and shrinks slowly to an undulating, large-bubbled cap.

SMELL: Though subdued, an excellent balance of malt and hops. The hops are resinous and sticky citrus and pine. Signature Stone. The malt is rich with deep caramels and a touch of roast and breadiness. Really, it's like a mini Arrogant Bastard.

TASTE: The hops come first in the same form as they did in the aroma. But they're presence in the forefront is short-lived as the bready malt asserts itself as the dominant flavor in the beer. As it crosses the palate, it only becomes more rich, but without any cloying sweetness. The finish is all roastiness and deep caramels, now with a bit of sweetness, ending in completely the opposite fashion of how it started.

MOUTHFEEL: Pretty significant in body, perhaps a bit much. Though it isn't terribly slick. The carbonation is at an average level.

DRINKABILITY: Good considering how beefy this beer seems to be. It does suffer from the same things that AB does in that all the flavors are so intense that you need to almost pace yourself with it. Still good though.

Not a bad choice, but the previous few anniversary ales have been so good that this one doesn't measure up. It's good to have a couple more bottles though.

look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark mahogony with a thick cap of kakhi-colored foam that endures for quite some time, leaving ropes of foam lacing in its wake as I drink it down.

The smell is bitter hops and carmel malts that brought a little bit of tenuous excitement from me, I was a little apprehensive from the nose but also interested.

The taste was molases sweetness that hit the mouth up front quickly followed by a dry bitter hop and a lingering sweetness that hovers around in the mouth long after the brew has been swallowed.

3.76/5  rDev -7.4%

i found this beer to be a typical stone beer. the color was more of an amber color, something simular to hopback by troeg. the taste was quite hoppy with a clean finish. the several different hops used created a wonderful layered aroma. personally i was disappointed by this beer, being a stone limited release project i wanted more than what i got. that being said this a wonderful expression of what good hops can do in a beer.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Slightly hazed red ochre with a two finger thick head of rocky foam that lingers long.

Aroma of bright citrusy hops.

Flavor initially of big hops, lots of orange peel and grapefruit, morphing to pine. Malt slowly emerges, inserts some notes of caramel and dark bread, and then gets pushed back down again by assertive hops and aggressive bitterness. Distinct ABV warmth.

Mouthfeel is even, but has moderate carbonation, lots of tingles and warmth from hops and alcohol. Average drinkability. Tasty beer, but perhaps a bit out of balance for the style? Thanks to barleywinefiend for sending this one my way.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Had this D's in Monroeville, PA.

Poured in a goblet, a dark molasses color with cola highlights, a finger of head that rests at a thin gauze with bubble islands. No lacing.

Smell hit me with bright, pine hops all the way. The taste was similar: hoppy, bitter, some woody flavor. A bitterness like edible fruit skins (apple, grape) hit around the middle, followed a tiny bit of chocolate-y malt.

Mouthfeel is strong but smooth, coats the mouth & leaves things bitter. Spit-thickening, I assume from the residual sugars.

This was definitely a big brew, with lots of flavor but a little too much for this wussy. The big flavor & encroaching booze makes it a sipper. Good, but I think I'll stick with the one. Gotta say, the 12th Anniversary was more up my alley.

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing