Stone 13th Anniversary Ale | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Added by seaoflament on 06-29-2009

3.45/5  rDev -15%

Poured a bomber into a pint glass. A deep mohagany beer with a very nice lacey off white head.

Very aromatic, citrus, piney, spicey, earthy. Tends mostly to the citrus hops, lemony and pineapple. A very faint smell of malt sweetness comes through in the end.

It tastes a bit more on the piney side than I had expected and then the sweetness comes in. I would have liked a little more balance in terms of hops and malts, as I feel the two taste don't meld together as well as they could. The pine notes also linger for a while on my tongue than I had hoped.

The mouthfeel is slightly creamy and I don't think I could or would want to drink more than one. I am a little dissappointed as I have such high expectations for stone. Perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for a beer like this, but other than the appearance and smell this beer was just average. Another go around may be in order, but I am glad I tried it.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

01.20.10

A: rich, deep mahogany; head dissipates quickly

S: oaky

T: boozy, lingering finish; heavy malt and maybe some cigar flavors

M: pretty smooth for something that seems heavy, with more carbonation later

Good-bye, Stone 13. Had to share my last bottle of this case. I have no more, and the bottle says to drink it fresh, so this is probably my last dance with this beer.

Poured into a snifter on 7/31/09

A - Dense brown, with plum highlights. Poured 2 fingers of billowy foam. Sure looks good. Good retention with spotty lacing.

S - Potent floral hops with some fruit notes (something in there comes across as raisin-like). Marginal malt characteristics present.

T - Good hop character & bitterness: floral, earthy & lingering. There is a burnt malt taste that seems a bit too forthright. Something that strikes me as medicinal also hangs around on the finish & has a numbing effect.

M - Medium-bodied. Wet at the onset & dry on the finish. The tingly numbing sensation mentioned above does not subside.

D - This one is strange to me. It's decent enough - and worth a shot - but it has some aspects that seem unbalanced & rough around the edges. Maybe that was Stone's intent.

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

A- Pours from the bomber a deep mahogany brown color with a 1.5 finger head. Phenomenal retention, and reasonably nice lacing.

S- Big time hop forward in this one... Bitter grapefruit, and a touch of pine. There is also an odd woodiness, that almost resembles citrus pith. Dusty, almost mildewy malt aromas are present deep in the back.

F- Bone dry from front to back, with no residual malt sweetness. Very little malt character at all. Firm, assertive hop presence, with a smooth bitterness that isn't harsh, but lingers for quite some time. Fairly one dimensional, but well made.

M- Aggressive carbonation helps lift the hop flavor and aroma, but leads to a slightly thinner mouthfeel that I'd like to have.

D- Quite good considering the alcohol. There is some warming as the beer coasts to room temp, but nothing to be concerned with.

Overall, pretty good, but not as sublime as many of Stone's other beers. It is well worth trying, at less that $8, but personally, I won't be rushing out to buy a case.

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Always interested in what Stone's offering. Giving this a bid.

Appearance - Very deep ruby color. Almost black, but the light goes through it nicely. A couple of inches of nice, solid head. Very good looking beer.

Smell - Surprisingly hoppy up front. A real nice, floral with a hint of grapefruit. But the back seems to have some coffee or malt. Definitely a roast quality lingering in the background. Also a real hint of booze. Interesting, to say the least.

Taste - Follows the nose. It's got some nice hop up front, but it's followed by the roast malt taste. It gets very bitter, almost burned on the end. Also some real pine hop flavor. The aftertaste is not making friends with me.

Mouthfeel - Surprisingly creamy. Decent carbonation. Seems to sit a little heavy.

Drinkability - Not the best. That roast aftertaste is sort of dimming my enthusiasm.

Didin't know what to expect with this beer. It's interesting, especially on the nose, but in the end it just didn't do it for me. Not quite sure what they were going for with this one, not clear that they knew either.

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured from Bottle into Tulip glass.

Pours a deep, slightly murky red color with a creamy light khaki-colored head that leaves a nice layer atop the glass. The aroma is grapefruit rind, burnt toast, caramel malts and resinous hops. The flavor is sticky hops upfront, some dried fruitiness, more resinous hops and some faint hints of malt. Its bitter and sweet with a lasting bitterness and a hot alcoholic finish. 13 has creamy mouthfeel and is medium-bodied. This beer is very sweet and would most certainly be considered a hop bomb. Its pretty good at being a hop bomb but definitely would hope for just a little more complexity. All around, an enamel peeler.

3.49/5  rDev -14%

My first impression when pouring this brew into my glass was that it looked beautiful. Nice, light creamy mocha head that had decent lasting power. Then I smelled it. Not good. Not bad. Interesting, for sure. Kind of hard for me to place. Sort of a decaying vegetable smell to it when the head is thick and fresh. Not wholly unpleasant, just different. Certainly fades quite a bit as the head shrinks down. Settles into a pretty common dark strong ale scent. Hops and alcohol.

Rather malty when it first hits the tongue and is finished with the typical Stone Ale bitterness that so many of use love about their brews. I am very middle of the road on this one. It is worth a try, interesting to describe, but not much of a drinker. I am glad I only bought the one bottle. Nice try fellas. Can't wait for the 14th Anniversary.

3.49/5  rDev -14%

On tap at the Rose & Crown.

A: Pours a murky chestnut brown with reddish tint when held to the light. Head is a minimal half-finger of tan foam that vanishes quickly into a donut. No lacing.

S: Tons and tons of citrus hops. I smell a lot of grapefruit, some pineapple, and pine. I can barely smell any malt, but there is some toffee and a roasted grain aroma.

T: The taste is so over the top on this one. Lots of tropical citrus, with grapefruit, pineapple, orange, lemon, and possibly tangerine. A really nice variety, but it starts to get grassy pretty quickly. Malts are very well-hidden, as they should be in a red. But after searching I detect hints of caramel, toffee, and grain. Finish is dry and piney, with a hugely resiny grassy aftertaste (not a fan of that).

M: Medium to full-bodied, with moderate carbonation. Very oily aftertaste, but it's not too boozy.

D: I liked it more out of the bottle. It was very hard to finish this glass.

I fought largadeer for half of an after-dinner peppermint and tossed it into the glass and swirled it around.

The smell and taste took on characteristics of peppermint that worked very well with the brew. The slight mint sting complemented the dryness and helped cover up the grassy flavors. Congrats to me on a job well done.

3.52/5  rDev -13.3%

Lucky #13! My favorite number. I've loved the Stone Anniversary beers in the past, so hopefully this one will continue that trend. 22oz Bomber poured into a pint glass. Split with fellow BA Infestaxion.

A: Dark Ruby Red brilliance with a small amount of head. This is one damn good looking beer. Let's hope the carpet matches the drapes!

S: I'm not getting much from the XIII, even as it warms up. The hops and malts seem to even each other out, yielding some faint caramel/fruit fragrance.

T: Malty smoothness upfront is shattered by the heavy handed hops which dominate the finish. Not only that, but they linger around. As I work my way down to the bottom of the glass, I notice the malt backbone a bit more, but the hops are still prevalent. Virtually no sweetness at all.

M: Average carbonation with a medium body. Nothing crazy here.

D: I suppose it's decent for such a hopped up red. The 9.5% ABV is hidden pretty well. Not sure if I'd drink a whole 22oz of this, the bitterness definitely fatigues the pallet.

One of my least favorite offerings from Stone, and somewhat of a disappointment. I think I would have enjoyed it more if there was more malt presence and sweetness to balance the massive hops.

Found on tap at Half Time

dark ruby brown clear body. loose brown head with adequate retention.

Hops up front in the nose with roasty sweetness in the back ground

bitterness up front, with a deep resiny hop flavor to follow, mostly pine notes. somewhat good balance but the high carbonation kinda throws it off for me, adds too much sharpness and carb bite.

drinkability is ok but not fantastic.

22ox bottle in a snifter glass

Appearance: dark amber with a firm head head

Nose: strong hops, chemical, very slight dark fruit

Taste: aggressive hops, slight malty sweetness, flowery but not in the traditional IPA way, almost like a Belgium double as it warms up, the complexity deepens as the temp went up

I normally like Stone's product but this one struck me as way too aggressive and difficult to drink. It was very hard to get past the intense bitterness of the hops. I think I'll stick with their Arrogant Bastard and Double Arrogant Bastard Ales.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy chestnut-mahogany-brown, very small amount of spotty lacing, average head

Smell: medium-dark malt, light hops, biscuity-bread, toffee

Taste: "Balanced" in all the wrong ways, tastes like an encyclopedia entry for the style - a bit boring with some sticky grapefruit for a bit of life. Typical stone.

Mouthfeel: Bit thiner than I expected; also a bit oily.

Drinkability: Not a beer that disappears.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle. Pours dark amber with a creamy tan head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is piney hops, molasses, anise, some fruits and a little tar.

The flavor is sweet caramel malts and some fruits with a big piney, charred hop finish. As it warms, the fruits start to overwhelm the charry nature. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, a pretty simplistic "black IPA". It's got some good hops and sweet malts. This seems pretty similar to the 11th / SSR Ale. I remember liking that one a bit better.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Paid $5.99 for a bomber from BevMo in San Jose, CA. Poured into a snifter to review.

Nice light beige head of about an inch consistent of medium sized bubbles. Nice retention of fine bubbles about a quarter inch in height. Good lacing.

Smell is strong, complex and very well balanced. Herbal hops mingle perfectly with sweet caramel malts. The strength from the alcohol is detectable but plays nicely with the balance of the beer.

Taste is equally strong with the sweet caramel malts taking the forefront. Hops still quite present, backing this one up nicely.

Most of the mouthfeel seems to be somewhere in the middle road; medium body, finish, thickness and carbonation.

It is hard for me not to compare this to Arrogant Bastard and in doing so, I think it that this is the older brother who is even more of a bully. I've always been amazed by the balance and strength of flavor in Arrogant Bastard. This one pushes the envelope and if I had to choose, I think I'd go for a bomber of the Arrogant Bastard, but I'd still recommend this to any Stone fan. I've read reviews of this beer recommending cellaring this one to let the booze settle down a bit; not a bad recommendation, but it would be at the expense of a more subdued hop profile. I'm curious to know how it works out for them.

Consumed Feb 19th, 2010.

Beer pours a hazy mahogany. Though few, tiny bubbles rise steadily for quite a while through the glass, repleneshing a pale tan head that's really more of a foamy skin. Good lacing.

Aroma is yeasty with resiny, sappy hop notes still apparent after many months in the bottle. Slight spicy note (cinnamon? ginger?) as well.

Flavor is different from fresh draft I consumed seven months ago! Bready malt up front, though relatively fleeting, is a mildly sweet launching point. Strong resiny hops form the middle, borrowing a page from the Arrogant Bastard playbook. The finish is slightly woody and significantly bitter. Some warming.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and a little bit oily. The evaporative finish I noted on draft is not present here, though the end of each quaff is RELATIVELY clean and dry. Except for the lingering bitterness, of course.

Not as special as some of Stone's other anniversary ales and not especially drinkable due to the overwhelming, barleywine-like hop midtaste.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

From a 22 oz bomber at 52F.

A - Real pretty ruby red with a thick, billowing tan head. Very little lacing however.

S - Lots and lots of hops - mostly pine, a bit of grass and citrus. Some malty molasses there as well, and definitely some alcohol.

T - Served fairly warm, it starts off sweet with some dark fruitiness and molasses, and quickly switches to that piney hoppy bitterness. Personally, I thought maybe they tried a bit too hard on this one and overshot the mark as the pungent piney hops overpower the other flavors making this one pretty one-dimensional. It is surely not bad - actually quite decent - but not as complex, interesting or unique as I hoped. Kind of like a reddish, even slightly more hoppy Arrogant Bastard. Not a bad thing, but was expecting more.

M - Thick and oily resins. Light carbonation. Good, not great. Nothing really stands out.

D - Pretty low. The pungency overpowers and drinking the one bomber, with a sip for the wife (who disliked it) was more than enough. A sipper for sure, but I have no issues with this being a limited release that I won't try again. Not Stone's best effort - a bit too predictable and not really worth the premium price over AB.

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

"enjoy in 2009"; yeah, didn't get to it until 10/5/2010

Pours a deep amber with three fingers of head, leaving nice lacing behind.

Smell is mostly grapefruit rind and rind, followed by some caramel malt and some quite apparent alcohol.

Still a decent hop punch in the taste, mostly grapefruit and pine. Balanced with caramel malt, and a faint taste of bubblegum. Quite bitter on the aftertaste, and the alcohol makes no attempt to hide itself.

Medium, slightly oily mouthfeel.

Overall this is bitter with some obvious alcohol, but still enjoyable even if it was past it's prime.

Stone 13th Anniversary Ale from Stone Brewing