Cambridge / Brewdog / Stone Juxtaposition Black Pilsner | Stone Brewing

Cambridge / Brewdog / Stone Juxtaposition Black PilsnerCambridge / Brewdog / Stone Juxtaposition Black Pilsner
Liked This Beer

Liked:
3.96/5
Alströms:

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Served from bottle into a Grolsch pilsner. Poured a massively dark reddish brown with a two finger fluffy light tan head that subsided to one finger very slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, banana, dark fruit, and alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, rye, banana, dark fruit, alcohol, and pineapple. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. Very unique take on the style if I'm honest. This one was very well balanced and quite enjoyable. Definitely had a nice Belgian influence going on in this one with the fruit aspect I picked up on. Definitely worth trying if you have not already.

2.27/5  rDev -42.7%

Poured into a shaker pint. Very dark black stout looking with a nice tan thick head and decent lacing.

Aroma is weird. Lots of off flavors. Smells like beers I've tried from breweries just starting up. Or like a bad homebrew.

Taste is like black liquorish. Super malty sweet.

Mouthfeel is thick. Nice carb though.

Overall I might end up dumpin the rest. It's too much. Don't know that they were thinking with this brew. It's nowhere near pilsner tasting or looking. It's not a pils. We can't keep making beers and calling them a style that is noting like it.

2.42/5  rDev -38.9%

Pours very black with a single finger of tan head that dissapates quite quickly. The smell is a cross of black marker and licorice. The taste is just that as well. Lots of licorice, very nyquil-ish. There is also some roastiness and it has a good mouthfeel. Overall I don't get this beer, I personally don't care for carbonated nyquil and I also don't see how this is a pilsner. Won't be drinking this again.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Black, almost opaque, pilsner with an off-white head. Decent retention. Interesting nose of deep roasted malts, a hint of coffee, and herbs.

Wickedly fun herb and grapefruit hop notes are the star players in this interesting pilsner -- along with full-flavored notes of dark chocolate and brown sugar. A touch of chew in the initial mouthfeel. Beautiful bone-dry finish that makes the drinking that much easier. A bit boozy but overall the alcohol is well hidden.

This might go good with roasted lamb that has been heavily spiked with rosemary.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

poured into a shaker pint

appearance: It's black, thin layer of head, a little bit of lace.

smells like: Mostly aromas of chocolate, coffee and a bit of bourbon like booziness.

tastes like: Chocolate, bourbon, hints of coffee and just a hair of bitter hop finish

medium thick in body, medium carbonation

I don't know how this is a pils. I mean it's way bigger then a pils, I suppose it's lagered and it tastes like it's single hopped but seriously, this is a porter or something and a decent one. It tastes pretty good and I could see this becoming regular

181st review on BA
Bottle to pilsner glass

Sitting in cellar for a while. Forgot I had it.

App- This poured an almost black color. A fact that escaped me when I poured it. A nice 1/2 inch head to it as well.

Smell- Big time smells of roasted malts with a little touch of hops and dark fruit.

Taste- Such a unique flavor profile. It's very roasty with a burnt bready flavor.

Mouth- Medium bodied with a a medium carbonation.

Drink- It's different to say the least. I like people expanding bounderies of beer but I think we have enough styles. No where close to a pilsner.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

A - This beer pours a very dark brown, almost black color. When held to the light the bottom edge of the glass glows a bit red. It has a nice frothy tan head, that has very good retention. The head also left decent lacing on the glass.

S - It smells of dark roasted malts up front. There are also notes of caramel, vanilla, chocolate, dark fruits, some hops, some booziness, and a touch of maple syrup.

T - The taste follows the nose a bit. It has a nice bit of roasted malts and a charred bitterness. There is also a nice sweetness that sits behind the bitterness. Also, there are notes of caramel, vanilla, licorice, dark fruits, hops, and some smokiness. The finish has a touch of booze and warms the mouth.

M - This has a fuller body with medium carbonation. The hops leave a bit of a bitter feeling that lingers in the mouth. There is a roasty bitterness that lingers as well.

D - I think this beer has really good drinkability. It goes down smooth, and it has great hop flavor. I think this is a very good beer for this time of year. The alcohol is hidden very well in this, and that definitely helps with the drinkability. Overall, I think this is a really good beer, and I'm glad I got the chance to pick this one up. Good job Stone, cheers.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

A - Pours motor oil black with a fingers worth of mocha colored head. Crazy good retention that lasts throughout the drink; sticky lacing

S - Malty and sweet smelling, with a good dose of herbal, grassy hops

T&M - Full bodied with a relatively smooth and almost creamy character. Lots of sweet malts with blasts of raisin and an almost bourbony, sugary note. Leafy, grassy hops try to balance the thick, heavy malts, and are felt mostly mid swallow; finish is sweet and the bourbon and sweet fruits revisit

D - Highly drinkable considering the style. I don't think I'd want more then one in a sitting, but the one I have is going to be sipped and enjoyed

3.88/5  rDev -2%

Pours black with ruby red highlights. Nose is sweet molasses and dry roasted barley. Taste follows, quite sweet with roasted overtones and an underlying earthy hoppiness. Finishes dry. Mouth is thin/medium with ample carbonation. Drinks very nice for a 10% pilsner, reminiscent of a thinner dopplebock.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Pours black with a thin tan head that leaves some lacing.

Nose is roasted malts, molasses sweetness and chocolate.

Taste is sweet malt, molasses, licorice, raisins, chocolate with a nice hop finish. This one is much like a black IPA, but not as hoppy and with some more complex flavors going on. Alcohol is well masked for 10%.

As it warms, licorice becomes more pronounced, cutting down on it's drink ability.

A great beer, a little pricey, buy worth a try.

A - Poured a black color with a tan head that leaves lacing behind

S - Is of sweet malt with some dark fruit scents

T - Follows the nose with the sweet malt and dark fruit plus some alcohol in the finish

M - This beer had a fuller body with medium carbonation to it

D - I liked this beer it has a good interesting flavor however just because you can do it doesn't mean you should come on black pilsner do we really need a new fad style that tasted like a Belgian dark ale and nothing like a pilsner

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

12oz bottle, served in a Stone Levitation glass. thanks to a74gent for the trade and knocking this off of my wants list. Cheers!

A - pours with about half an inch of very creamy and tight, milkshake colored foam. the beer is a *very* dark ruby/brown color, close to black. chalky and spotty rings of lace are left behind.

S - dark roasted malts, yet held just before the point of being charred. balanced by ample sweetness: vanilla, milk chocolate, toasted nuts, and coconut. some hints of booze and rum as well as weak coffee and black tea.

T - whoa! follows its true colors with many porter-like qualities. dark malts provide hints of charred bitterness, ash, and light smokey flavors. sweetness comes into play as toasted nuts, brown sugar, vanilla beans, and chocolate. earthy hops add some ample yet not distracting bitterness. finishes with some hints of coffee and licorice.

M - medium body, with moderate and slightly sharp carbonation...cuts easily and nicely through the robust flavors. leaves a lingering roasty bitterness, earthy hops, and slightly sweet malty finish.

D - defines all logic of what a lager is capable of. insanely dangerous at 10% and delicious to boot. a sipper for sure but goes down very easy. hands down my favorite Stone collaboration to this point, which is saying a lot considering I've been a huge fan of all of them.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

A: Deep black with a nice ruby hue as it is held up to the light. Some medium tan head tops the brew.

S: Dry malt notes, slightly bready. There is a little bit of a nice syrupy/ caramelized scent going on. There is a nice earthy hop aroma in the finish.

T: Earthy hops come out right away, then some nice maple and malt notes come out. The finish rounds out with some hop bitterness featuring earthy, and pine notes.

M: Medium in body, smooth, with possibly a little too much carbonation, but it isn't too off.

D: Quite an enjoyable beer. Good balance with the hop and malt flavors clashing in a thoroughly enjoyable way.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

This Black Pilsner, a collaboration between Stone, CBC, and BrewDog was an incredible juxtaposition of styles and flavors well executed to yield a fresh and unique tasting beer. I bought this bottle because I have been meaning for some time now to give Stone a fourth (or fifth) chance. Stone has been somewhat of an anomaly to me, it is generally highly regarded as a top caliber microbrewery, and offers a full range of styles, vintages, and special beers that would make any beer drinker interested, but yet, to this day, several years into my beer drinking obsession, I have not had a Stone beer I've liked, until now. If you had asked me yesterday, I might have attributed this to Stone putting out an inferior product, or the claim that there are far better beers for the money; but, after drinking Juxtaposition I am convinced that ill favor and plain old bad luck are to blame for the half dozen or so different Stone beers I've tried being sub par.

As I poured this beer I was surprised by it's stout like blackness, and mid-brown head that filled the top finger of my glass. Immediately I thought the beer smelled strongly similar to an IPA; however, as I smelled the beer again I began to notice it's strong roasted coffee malt profile paired with dried fruit, and noticed almost a spiciness to the hops. My tasting of this beer closely followed the experience of smelling it. I think anyone trying a small sample of this beer could be severely mislead by its initial flavor profile and miss completely the subtleties and careful balances present.

Though the bottle claims inspiration from Winston Churchill on driving a point home bluntly, I think the first taste of this beer is a far cry from what it will build to. At 10%ABV the alcohol is well masked, and the flavor profile is rich, yet there is a lot in the balance between IPA, Pilsner, and Stout that can be found, if given the chance.

Final thoughts: This beer reversed 3 years of bad beer luck for me with Stone. Juxtaposition is quite the oddball in terms of style, my first thoughts were that it was more like a Black IPA similar to ones offered by Deschutes and several other breweries. Unlike the many Black IPA's on the marked claiming to be new and innovative styles, Juxtaposition delivers on the claim.

Try this beer if you find it, you just might not find something like this again. I'm very happy, albeit a little confused.

***Edit***
A few other reviewers noted the taste of rum and molasses being present, this was among the stranger tastes in the beer, that oddly filled out the beer's flavor profile, despite my not liking rum. Also, in response to remarks about this beer's alcohol not being well masked, at a decently cold temperature I was hard pressed to taste the alcohol, and only when the beer had been poured for 20 or 30 minutes could I taste it.
Cheers.

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to Doodler for this extra...

A - One fingers worth of frothy creamy reactionary light to medium tan colored head... Average retention gives way to a creamy ful lace and collar... Dark but slightly less the opaque... Deep rich brown color with a ruby hue...

S - Dark fruit... Fig... Raisins... Molasses... Mild chocolate... Brown sugar... A very mild earthiness lies deep beneath the surface... Surprising maltiness for Pilsner...

T - We have a trifecta of hops, malts, and booze... After a very quick malty burst, the hops that were more than absent in terms of scent materialize in an assertive fashion and take on a piney character... The hops are joined on the finish by a not so subtle booziness and licorice presence...

M - Full bodied... Smooth... Sleek... Creamy... Rich... Dense... Turns slightly bitter and slightly dry on the finish...

D - Perhaps more of an American Strong Ale then a Pilsner, but a quality brew none the less... A definite sipper... Definately not what I expected, but quite enjoyable none the less...

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint glass.

A: Pours a super dark ruby red that looks just about black with a large milk chocolate head that slowly faded into a thin film that left patches of sticky lacing.
S: Notes of dark fruit, light chocolate and dark malt. Very roasted scents.
T: Very strange. Nothing like a pilsner at all. I pick up burnt malt, licorice, coffee, dark fruits, rum, marshmallows, mint, cigarettes, slight vanilla, citrus hops and spices. Tastes like a light stout. Lots of alcohol flavor in the finish from the high ABV, but not too warm.
M: Dry, medium body with decent carbonation. Could use a little more though.
D: This beer is not really for me, although about half way through it started growing on me a little more. This beer is hard to compare. Tastes like a light grand cru, or a strong ale. Not bad, but I wish I hadn't wasted seven bucks.

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%

Alright, I've never before tried an imperial pilsener, and here I go with a BLACK one. No comparison possible between this and a normal imperial pilsener, but then is it possible to compare this to anything else anyway?

Pours a murky cola colour, black for the most part but transparently brown at the edge. Head is lacklustre in size but not appearance. Cream colour, small but retaining some filmy bubbles and some nice speckly lace residue. Pretty nice.

Nose is wonderfully sweet, and spicy. Beautiful. Absolutely gorgoues. I'm just going to fill this review with positively valenced adjectives because conjunctions and prepositions just don't do this smell justice. Lots of chocolate. Licorice. Spicy coffee. Soapy notes. Kahlua. Lavender, definitely. Floral, chocolatey, sweet. Bloody brilliant. Fucking love it. Can only be described with gobsmacked sentence fragments. Embalm my dead body in this shit, please.

Yeah, huge licorice all through that palte. Starts with a star anise spice, then gets sweeter but spicier in increasing dosage but maintaining their balance with each other. Fair amount of mint, with mild chocolatey notes and a slight rum hit (distilled sugar flavour) as well. Touch of vanilla towards the back and a hint of alcohol bite, but really well hidden. I can imagine people disliking this if they dislike black jellybeans but to me this beer is just beautifully handled between sweet, dark and spice. Doesn't finish with quite enough gusto but an overall brilliant palate.

Mouthfeel is the slightest bit of a letdown as it feels a bit thin, especially for the strength and the fullness of the flavour. Has a smoothness and a light nip on the back, but just a touch watery.

I'm surprised, actually, that a collaboration could produce something this good. I feel like with something so experimental it would have to be a singular madman's vision that somehow came good. But in this case three mad geniuses have produced something ultra-special. If I ever need to be euthanised I will choose to drown in a huge vat of this beer, after being chased in there by a stampede of naked Japanese nurses.

4.44/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a deep and heavy black colour, with twinges of ruby when held to the light. Head is only languidly formed, a creamy single finger of beige foam. Body looks dense, and there's some carbonation that stays static in the glass when it's swirled. Little lacing, otherwise a very good looking brew.

Nose is incredibly hoppy, a huge burst of fragrantly pungent and spicy West Coast hops. It almost smells like an IPA - big passionfruit characters, stonefruit, resin. Under it though, there are big twinges of darker things - a little oak perhaps, a bit of roasted malt, and something very classically Stone that I can't quite put my finger on. Something sweet but spicy in it as well, almost like liquorice or juniper. What a nose. It's so unusual, and so beautiful. I know it doesn't really fit into any category stylistically - and as a result, it's hard to score, but damn it's delicious.

Taste just adds another layer of bizarre attraction to it. If I were served this completely blind, I'd be shellshocked by the taste, because after the subtly tweaked heavily hopped nose, I'd be expecting a rush of hop characters. But here the dark characters come to the fore, notes of chocolate malt, roasted grains, rye bread, stilled underpinned by a strong and everpresent hop bite.

What's perhaps more extraordinary is that despite its weight, the mouthfeel stays relatively clean. It doesn't cloyingly layer on the tongue, but clears out once the message has been delivered. Still, there's certainly slickness on the palate, which is only to be expected.

What a great beer. I love Stone's three-way collaborations, they always come up with something so unusual, but something that feels as though it should always have existed this way. This is a classic example - a black pilsener, loaded with hop character and brewed to 10%. In a world where novelty is valued, you can't argue with that.

3.81/5  rDev -3.8%

I poured this into a pilsner glass from a 12oz. bottle.
At first look it pours pitch black, but thanks to the glass you can see dark brown with ruby highlights. Nice one finger, tan head that leave some lacing but not much.
A little bit of fruit gone bad on the nose, this might be due to the aging, it isn't too strong but still noticeable. Rich malts and still some hops in the bg.
Wow, roasted malts prevail but the hop bitterness is still easy to detect. A very earthy tasting beer, I enjoyed the feel and flavor. It does seem to fit with the description of the style though it is above the normal ABV, which might account for some of the differences. If you can find one I would suggest giving it a go.

3.35/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours dark brown with orange corners and a thin, wet, khaki head. Smells and tastes like black tea with candied orange. Very bitter. What the hell. This is nonsense. As if the ridiculous name, collaboration gimmickry, and ludicrous made-up oxymoron 'style' weren't enough, they had to make it taste like Celestial Seasonings? This is a slap in the face, but it tastes okay I guess.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%

Found this still in the fridge of a local bottle shop! Have one sitting in the fridge from a six pack I bought when it was first released. I was really excited to see how this newy acquired bottle would be with more then a year on it and from a random store!

Poured in my duvel tulip. Nice inch of brown coffee head with lots of bubbles on the side.

The scent is sweet yeasty goodness. A bit on the sweet side.

The taste is amazing. A strong dark/sweet malt flavor upfront. Then goes into a buttery creamy bitter finish...if that even makes sense. Then finishes with a strong bitter hop bite! WOW the hops have really held up over the past year!

Think I am going back to get some more bottles!

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a standard 12oz brown bottle into a pint. It appears a dark brown color that has hues of a more reddish brown around the edges. It displays a head with more than 2 fingers of browned mocha fluff that retains pretty decent and sticks in small patches about the glassware. Sweet aroma has characteristics of both malty goodness and also citrus hops. The blend of citrus in the nose comes together with a fruity scent almost like grapes. Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting that from a beer this dark or a ahh... imperial pils? Rounding out the nose is some floral citrus notes along with an ever increasing amount of alcohol making itself know as the beer warms. The flavor of this beer is really something different, but in a good way. It is bitter chocolately malt upfront with a big alcohol presence and malty flavors like dark fruits a bit like prunes laden with alcohol. The finish is quite bitter with flavors of dark chocolate and some citrus hops. Lingering bitterness clings in the mouth along with a slight alcohol sting that warms the back of the throat. Medium bodied with a modest amount of carbonation, this beer was really good.

I hope I can get another to lay down for awhile to see what happens. I don't know what to make of this beer as far as placing it into a category. If you acquire this beer looking for a doulbe or imperial pils you might be a bit disapointed with the dark malt characteristics present. However, enjoying this beer for what it is regardless of the category really made it worth while and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

Ok, a double pilsner that's black. Soo, is it a pilsner? Oh, well, enough thinking...

pours black with reddish tints, dark brown. A nice head appears, rocky, off tan, 2 fingers. Looks darn good, but since it doesn't look like a pilsner, no 5 :)

Interesting aroma, too. Malty and sweet, but not too much so. It has a slight roasted coffee blended in, some soft chocolate and snappy hops. Citrus and pine mix.

I still would not call this a pilsner, and the label's story is pointless, albeit kind of cool. The hops are not light, but not powerful, and the soft biscuit and water found in pilsners is not here. To be sure, it is delicious. Roasted malt is nice, almost perfectly balanced with the hops. A bit minerally too.
It's a very good beer, but the category of style makes me wonder.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

12 oz bottle. This was $7.89 from Beer Run in Charlottesville.

Appearance: Black with just a hint of dark red highlights around the edges. Big, thick, dark brown head with good retention. Spotty lacing gets pulled down by legs.

Smell: Sweet malt, roasty chocolate and coffee, spicy hops, and a strong, earthy pine tar smell. Phenolic. Strange and good.

Taste: I think if I didn't know what kind of beer this was, I'd call it a hoppy, weird tasting stout. Its mostly sweet and roasted malt flavors with some burnt charcoal in the finish. Again, spicy and earthy hoppiness.

Mouthfeel: Definitely the fullest mouthfeel of any pilsner ever. Like a big stout, but not as creamy or lush as an RIS. Very nice though.

Drinkability: I bought this a long time ago, and practically forgot about it. I didn't think I would be happy with it, but the first smell of it changed my mind. Its a really good beer, and different than anything else. Worth a try, but not a good deal really for the price.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to Jon for picking this one up for me. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Harpoon Pilsner.

A: Moderate pour yields a gigantic, upwards rising 4 finger head that completely overflowed the glass. Head is a frothy, solid, faintly reddish coffee color with good retention. Beer is a dark, near opaque amber. Lacing is thick and with good stick.

S: Coffee, licquorice, brownie, cocoa, honey, and creamy toffee hops. Mouthwatering flavor with a slight background of booziness. Absolutely delicious.

T: Yeasty and chocolatey upfront with a sweet coffee flavor. Slightly nutty also, this may be the single most uniquely flavored beer I've ever come across. Hops mixed up with toffee invade my palate as does an almost tea like quality. I'm not really sure what to think here and my mouth definitely isn't helping. Almost like an imperial stout but not as heavy and with a more upfront hop character. Finishes hoppy accented by a sweet molasses that lingers in the aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied, slightly carbonated, and relatively smooth and oily. Sticky also and surprisingly easy drinking considering the abv. This is a beer that'll sneak up on you. Finish is messy and lingers.

D: A unique beer to say the least, I've never had anything even remotely close to this so there's nothing to compare to... YET... I know a good beer when I experience it, and this one is one of Stone's winning collaborations. Try to seek this one out. I promise that if anything else, it'll be memorable.

Cambridge / Brewdog / Stone Juxtaposition Black Pilsner from Stone Brewing