Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter | Stone Brewing

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

Very dark brown with mahogany edges and a thin, light brown cap of fine bubbles. Good head retention with a bit of sticky lace clinging to the glass. It smelled sweet and nutty as soon as the bottle was cracked, roasty with mild coffee, a bit of toasted coconut. Fairly bitter from the combination of roast, hops, chocolate and coffee. Flavours of dark chocolate, toffee, malted milk, creamy and nutty with slight alcohol. Lingering coffee bitterness and macadamia nuts. Medium to full bodied with a nearly creamy texture and light warmth. Pretty good for a big porter. I found the coconut to be fairly subtle compared to the nuts and coffee, but everything came together nicely.

Poured into a stange glass.

Pours about a finger of light tan head. Decent retention with some splattered lace. Color is a dark black.

Aroma: Lots of roasted malts. Fresh coffee flavors. Chocolate as well. The coconut isn't very present here. The nut flavor is nice though.

Taste: Big roasted profile. The coffee is really well done here. I get a little more coconut here, but still not that much. A good amount of chocolate here also. Some grassy hops balance it out.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, fairly roasted. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends with a roasted and slightly dry feel to it.

Overall, I really liked this beer, but the price was so expensive. I also wish there was more coconut flavors as that was supposed to be one of the highlights of this beer. Worth a try!

Wow. Right place right time. Huge thanks to Michael for opening this while I was standing in the same room. Beer servd in a snifter. Beer is brown / almost black. Tan head small bubbles, wispy, no real lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is nutty, sweet, mild coconut. There is a slight roast as well.

Beer is medium to light in body, some bitterness on the backed. Again very nutty but only slight coconut. Good though. I'd have it again.

Nice dark color with a creamy tan head. The head eventually fades into a bubbly thin film across the top of the beer. Some lacing is visible as well.

The aroma consists mostly of roasted coffee beans and some nutty malts. A tinge of metallic notes come through as well, but start to fade as the beer warms up a bit.

Well, the coffee flavor is what first hits your mouth. Its not overbearing or bitter, yet you can't miss it. Well balanced in my opinion. Beyond the coffee flavor are some toasted dark malts and a somewhat nutty flavor, which I'm guessing is from the macadamia nuts. Fairly subtle, but still there and they seem to smooth out the coffee flavor. The only thing I'm not really picking up on is the coconut. At times I think it is there, but then I can't taste it on the next sip.

The mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat creamy. Nice body for an American Porter. The ABV is well hidden, making this an easy drinker.

Overall, this is a very nice porter. Everything is well balanced. I think that people who are really looking for the macadamia nut and coconut to stand out will be somewhat disappointed, but those who want a more well balanced beer, that has some subtle differences from the standard porter, will be very satisfied with this beer.

Let me start off by admitting that I bought this because I knew it was very limited and thought I might not get a chance to try it if I passed. I don't really even like coffee beers and I wondered why this was so expensive until I realized they used Kona coffee which is costly. The color was solid black, short head, looks like a porter. The smell was overwhelming coffee but in a great way, very nice. The flavor was more of the same and while my friend said he could taste the coconut, all I got was delicious coffee and a hint of a porter hiding in the back. I'm starting to realize that its not that I don't like coffee beers, I don't like bad coffee beers. Overall this was still a little to costly for my tastes but this was a solid beer from Stone/Maui/Ken Schmidt. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 10-25-2009 23:01:34

Found this bottle in the cellar. Pours a deep black with dark brown hues around the borders. Head is medium tan in color with fairly large carbonation bubbles.

Aroma is of chocolate, bitter malt, and some alcohol. Flavor is all about the coffee with a strong underlying cherry/kreik taste. I think the kreik is coming from the acidity of the beer and it having possibly soured a bit. The off flavor is great, but a bit overpowering to allow for any other subtleties to come through in the beer.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

I spent about 15 bucks on one 12 oz bottle in a little shop in Temecula California and I must say, although this beer was good.. I believe the 15 bucks only was able to be charged due to its rarity..not the production of the beer itself..although it was good...it wasnt that great. Poured a jet black color into a rocks glass giving way to a quarter inch caramel colored head. The aroma of this beer is very welcoming...a lot of coffee, chocolate. At 8.5 percent abv the alcohol is hardly present to the nose. I wanted to get more coconut and macadamia in the flavor as well of the nose but sadly was almost not there at all...to me it just came off as any imperial stout.. a ton of coffee and chocolate.. some burnt sugars and roasted malts were present along with a sweet finish but no nutty flavor like i wanted...i definitely suggest trying the beer however..not for 15 bucks a 12 oz.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

eyes...
dark in the suburbs, light cocoa head rises up to 2 fingers and retreats quickly, lacing is good, the bubbles are very uniform and the head regenerates quickly with a little swirl of the glass, nice.

nose...
cocoa fighting coconut, at first sniff it is really strange, this takes some time to get down to what is going down here, the combination sometimes smells "sickly sweet", you do get a nice dose of coffee but it smells too dark, as an avid kona fan this doesn't smell half as good as my morning brew (I drink medium roast from Richard's on the main island).. not bad but I have stuck my schnozz into better coffee-ish porters.

taste etc...
the heaviness is offset by the carbonation almost perfectly (and I do mean almost, it is a 'touch' too prickly for my preference), coats the mouth well leaving a really pleasant nutty/cocoa aftertaste, the macadamia is very subtle and melded well with the coffee playing in the back as bitter notes (I love bitter), the alcohol is no where to be found, this drinks really easy, considering the amount of ingredients and the pedigree this is just a really nice beer, I wouldn't sell my left nut to get it but if you like starbucks instead of dunkins you might want to check this out.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz received as a great quick turnaround trade with AndrewK.. Thanks Andrew!! Sharing with Brenda.. Mine is poured into my Delirium goblet.

1/2" tan head.. no real lacing.. the cap is pretty flimsy.. the brew is pretty much black.

Nose is pretty much a pretty good American Porter.. I'm not getting anything that resembles coconut or macadamia nut.

I am really digging this one.. but I still don't really pick out the coconut or the macadamia nuts.. just a nice coffee porter.. nice coffee element mixes well with the dark malts.. a bit of sorta lactose sweetness..

Great body and carbonation... I like this one, but don't get any of the "collaboration" aspects of this beer other than the coffee.

Thanks Andrew.. another fantastic trade.

3.5/4/4/4/4

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Had this a few times since the release. This review is from notes 10/22. Thanks to Shane and Mike for bottles as well as my homie Greg in NYC.

Pours black with a 1/2 finger head fading to a ring. Appears to be lightly carbonated.

Aroma is definitely coffee forward. Deep flavors of roasted beans. Dark Chocolate and roasted Malts. Marzipan and Coconut struggle to come through, but succeed more as it warms.

Taste is very coffee forward, slight bitterness initially from the coffee. Nuttiness is present. The first couple times I had this, I thought the coconut was too subtle to be enjoyed, but the most recent time I kept getting an intense, lingering coconut flavor in the finish. This flavor was not a sweet coconut, it was nutty and toasty in character. Quite enjoyable actually, and caused me to bump this up a notch.

Mouthfeel is almost creamy but this beer could benefit from a pinch more carbonation. Pretty drinkable considering it's ABV, but alcohol was noticeable as it warmed. Nice collaboration.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Interesting bottle, randomly picked this up and was interested to learn that it was a collaboration between Stone brewery, a home-brewer, and a Hawiian brewery.

A) Very dark cola-esque brown with small dark fizzy brown head. Slightly thick and viscious layer against glass.

S) Coffee definitely stood out. Dark, roasted malts, some mild sweetness of the coconut as well. Not a super strong smell.

T) Very flavorful - the roasty coffee, malts, smokiness, and nuttiness all stand out. This is a big flavor, very robust. No overt sweetness but the coconut while subtle balances out some of the bitterness.

MF) Medium, somewhat chewey, thick on the tongue.

D) Good - great taste, and I don't detect the 8.5% alcohol. It's pleasant but one was plenty with so much flavor.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Great to see that this one arrived in Mass. This will be my first time trying anything from Maui, so this is a treat. Pours a black color, with a quickly fading tan heading. Musty nose of coffee that is not quite as in your face as I would have expected. The nuts also make their way in to the smell in a minor way. It tastes exactly as it is marketed....coffee, macadamia nut and coconut. None of the tastes are too over the top. The Coffee dominates, which is cool, but I would love to have seen the coconut come out a bit more. Mouthfeel is between medium and heavy. Alcohol is hidden well, and drinking this one is easy. Let this beer warm up for sure, as more comes through that way. Not my favorite from the collaborative series, but still damn good and worth a purchase.

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

A welcome gift from my good friend brewtull.

Pretty dull on the pour (into a shaker pint). Head vanishes and leaves a lifeless ale. There is carbonation, just a few bubbles and nothing else to show for it. Maybe lipids from the mac nuts or coconut?

Amazing aroma, full of those toasty coconuts and mac nuts, plus the usual porter chocolate and hop notes. Maybe coffee, but it certainly isn't screaming at me like I thought it would.

Silky, creamy, nutty, toasty, chocolatey, hoppy goodness. It's really tasty. That coffee makes a real entrance here, it's got that spicy, thin mouthfeel type-coffee vibe.

The thing that's really bringing it down is the high gravity. Were it not so thick I could pound these all night. Bring this back to 6% abv and it would be a TKO. Just saying.

Cheers!

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing