Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter | Stone Brewing

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Poured a very dark brown with almost no head and little carbonation. Almost looked black until I held it up to the light.

s - Smells strong of coffee and roasted malts. Also get some smells of sweet nuts, but unfortunately no coconut smell.

t - Initial tastes are strong coffe, but also smooth and creamy which I think are the coconut/macadamia nuts. Very rich in coffee taste and very good, but unfortunately I don't get a lot of the nut flavors. Also tastes of chocolate a little bit and roasted malts.

m - Medium body and carbonation, it is pretty smooth and creamy. Very nice.

d - Overall, I enjoyed this porter quite a bit. It had a very rich and distinct coffee taste to it, as well as some roasted malts and cream to it. While it was very good, I was a little disappointed because I was hoping the macadamia and coconut smell and tastes came out more in it. I would definitely try this again.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

A: I poured this into my Cigar City snifter to reveal a thick, black, beer with a small mocha colored head.

S: The coffee is very dominant in this beer. It overwhelms the other scents at first. However, a bit of sniffing lets the chocolatey porter aromas come through, and the coconut really lends the beer a sweet smell. The nuttiness from the macadamia nuts is present, but mild.

T: As with the nose, the coffee flavor is really the star of the show. The coconut gives the beer a definite sweetness, and becomes more pronounced as the beer warms up. The macadamia nut is also subdued when the beer is chilled, but allow it to come closer to room temperature and it makes an appearance. There is a slight bitterness, which I assume is from the coffee, but it is balanced nicely by the coconut.

M: This beer has a nice viscosity to it and a smooth mouthfeel. The carbonation is much higher than you would have expected, but it provides a nice contrast.

D: I'm generally not the biggest coffee fan, but I am in love with this beer. There are such a variety of flavors and aromas that make it such an interesting beer to drink. I'm glad I've got a few more stashed away.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Big thanks to GoGriz for this guy!

Though not new (save for me), the concept of a coconut porter intrigues me, though not without some trepidation. Here we go... It pours an opaque used charcoal with around a finger of khaki head. The nose comprises coffe, milk chocolate, coconut, walnuts, dark wheat, and cashews. Beyond the warning provided by the name, this melange is quite unexpected. Not what you'd think would come from a beer bottle, baby. The taste starts with a straight porter base, then adds some milky coconut and vanilla action, and throws in a bushel of nuts (I have never had a macadamia nut before, so I'm not sure if that's what I'm tasting...but there's definintely some nuts, baby). It all blends nicely in the finish, creating a truly unique flavor. The body is a strong medium, with moderate carbonation and a fairly dry finish. Overall, a nice change of pace, but not something that I'll be turning to all that often. A strong collaboration, indeed.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Finally found one of these elusive creatures, but pricey at 9 dollars for a 12 oz bottle.
Pours a solid black with a two finger mocha head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smells of fudge, chocolate and coffee mostly. Slight dark fruit in the background. Traces of vanilla and alcohol round out the nose. I don't pick up any coconut or macadamia in the aroma. Taste is coffee and dark chocolate up front, bitter roast that melds into coconut, finishing semi dry with a long lingering roasted grain and coconut finish. Creamy sticky mouthfeel, thick body with a semi dry finish, light carbonation. I really enjoyed this one. I was a little nervous because I really hate coconut, but its subtle enough in here that I could actually appreciate it and I think it works really well.

3.19/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a dark brown color that appears fairly clear with deep ruby red hues when held up to the light. The head appears with more than a finger of creamy tan head that retains very well and sticks all along the glassware. Nose is fresh roasted coffee upfront with an underlying hint of dark malty grain that comes across a bit sweet and with notes of chocolate and a bit of some earthy/nutty character. Some sourness is mingled in with the dark fruity maltiness of the nose. Taste includes all of the aforementioned characteristics that were present in the nose. Upfront there is the bitter coffee character intertwinded with the flavor of dark chocolate. Along with those flavors is a bit of an acidic note maybe influenced by the coffee but it has a slight sour twang to it before the rest of the flavors of this brew come into play. All through the medium to full body of this brew are notes of dark grain suggesting a bit of a roasty nut-like flavor along with dark chocolate and coffee. Long flavorful finish includes the coffee and dark roasty malt. Medium to light level of carbonation with this brew. As this brew warms, the alcohol really starts to come out and the coffee character is still noticeable yet the sourness starts to become overwhelming. The nose starts to smell very vegetative almost like cabbage and the taste is quite acidic to the point where it just isn't very enjoyable like it was straight out the gate and a little too cold.

I am having a hard time feeling this one out to review appropriately. If I reviewed it based on my initial (too cold serving temperature) it would be an "A." However, after letting it warm up to proper temperature it is not enjoyable at all and would be a C-D rating for me. I guess I will average it out with the flavor and aroma as that is only the fair thing to do.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

12 ouncer, $6.99 at DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY (blown away by the price, till I saw it was pretty much in line with what other places are charging, even in Ca.) anyway this one pours the expected near black, with a medium sized dark mocha head, and leaving spotty lace. The nose is richly of dark coffee and bitter dark chocolate. Flavorful sipper with deep and rich notes of more dark chocolate, expresso, brandy soaked oranges, getting some coconut and nuttyness, especially as it warms. Complex and simply yummy. Rich and thick over the tongue. Over the top sipper, night capper supreme. A must try, h/e kind of expensive for multiple revisits.

Wow. Right place right time. Huge thanks to Michael for opening this while I was standing in the same room. Beer servd in a snifter. Beer is brown / almost black. Tan head small bubbles, wispy, no real lacing, moderate carbonation.

Aroma is nutty, sweet, mild coconut. There is a slight roast as well.

Beer is medium to light in body, some bitterness on the backed. Again very nutty but only slight coconut. Good though. I'd have it again.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle share thanks to Toby. Dark and rich, elements of coconut, chocolate, vanilla. Very easy drinker. All of the elements play very well together for a well rounded beer.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

The beer pours a deep, black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a warm, roasted malt and coffee scent along with delicate hints of chocolate and nuts. The coffee character is top notch with loads of dry, earthy character. The taste is perfect! It has a damn awesome coffee, roastedness. It's incredibly smooth and full bodied with just a hint of macadamia in the finish. It's a dark one for sure with adequate warmth and a ton of black malt/coffee flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is one of the top porters I've ever had. It's incredibly complex with a shit ton of flavor; simply awesome.

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%

I didn't think I would find this, but there were two bottles left at Ramona Liquor in Rancho Cucamonga, CA. $6.99 for the 12 ounce bottle. On to the beer:

Let me see...it is black. You can see a few rows of carbonation bubbles running along the glass. The head is soapy and low density on top with scrawny retention. Lots of coffee in the nose. Dry roasted coffee. I can also find a little macadamia and chocolate.

Very coffeeish and coconutty. A little bit of smoke, some roasted notes....alcohol is nowhere to be found. Pleasant thick mouthfeel, though the carbonation could be toned down just a smidge. The aftertaste takes this beer to the next level. It leaves a very pleasant bittersweet marriage of coffee and creamer.

This beer reminds me why I love coffee stouts/porters.

Thanks to exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours dark brown to black with a tan head. The aroma is bitter black coffee. The flavor is black coffee with some cream and nuttyness. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation. A very good porter, but I expected it to be more complex.

3.7/5  rDev -10%

Reviewed from notes, drank on October 25th. Poured into a founders brewing pint glass. Picked this one up at De cicco's after the CL flaming fury release.

KSMSKCMCP holds a oil stain black color with some rusty brown spots towards the edges and bottom of the glass. A cascading dark brown head turns light tan on top when it settles down. The foam reaches a 1/2 inch and has a nice creamy look. Good retention and some soapy lace but over time it fades into a ring around the glass.

Deep rich scents of kona coffee followed by chocolate and a sprinkle of cocco. This reminded me of a very light chocolate milk at times. The macadamia nuts used come out with warming. Roasted malt and a small hint of smoke. The coconut is minimal and does not really register.

The kona coffee is very big when this beer is cold so if that's what your after drink it on up. Over time the macadamia nuts integrate with the coffee making for an interesting mix. This is a nutty porter with a light but noticable chocolate touch. Some french vanilla shows up while the coconut remains minimal. Coconut is a hard ingredient to brew well so im not upset that it's not that large here. Any hops used don't make a dent with any significant taste, but im sure they have something to do with the overall flavor.

This porter holds a above medium body with some thickness to it, nowhere near watery. It goes down pretty simple. A mix between light milk chocolate and alot of coffee in the mouth with a short lasting aftertaste. OTOH, once this reached true room temperature the taste really went downhill in a sense because all I could taste was the M nuts and a some burnt flavors came up which struck me the wrong way. Drink this baby cold, warming does not help it IMO. No bitterness and low but noticable carb.

Not the most drinkable porter i've had, I was not sulking when I was done my 12oz. The ABV is slightly high but it's well hidden. Im glad I only bought one bottle of this because it's not something I would go back to. I enjoyed it enough though and porter fans should seek it out as it is kind of unique. This is probably the closest I will ever get to try products from Maui brewing so im glad i tried it.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

I sometimes find beers this flat and opaque to be a little drab - unfortunately, this is one of those times. To be fair though, the beer does deserve some credit as it happens to be of a shade of black that honestly must trump all other shades of black; the chances of light getting past this thing are as good as me ever owning the Dallas Cowboys.

Upon hearing of this combination of flavours I figured the macadamia and coconut might be overrun by the coffee; indeed, the first few sniffs support that inclination. It is smokey, it is bitter, it is - in no uncertain terms - very coffee-esque. Fortunately, there is at least a sparing amount of baker's chocolate that goes with it.

With a name that boasts coffee, macadamia nut and coconut in it, I think it's only fair to expect something a little extra tasty. That this is flavourful is never, even for an instance, in doubt. However, that it is sensually titillating or heavenly delicious is likely dependent on its taster. For my palate, this is too full of roast and grain to be considered decadent.

In other words, I think this beer sounds more delicious than it actually is. You'd assume for every added ingredient there'd be an added flavour or texture, but this is disappointingly one-dimensional; the coconut and macadamia are but flies that surround the smokey, bitter coffee roast that is the elephant. I just wish I could be tasting more of them.

This beer is otherwise a very serviceable porter. It is uniquely rich and, although it may not make a full dessert in and of itself, I can only imagine what a sinfully indulgent treat it would be if only I had some worthy sweets or fresh berries to pair with it. Warming has proved to unchain both of the nutty flavours, but it's too little too late (and still too acrid).

The more variety and the greater diversity in the market, the greater incentive there is to be different. For a time, that was easy for Stone to do. Since then, however, they've helped spawn a new generation of talented, creative brewers that have exemplified and realized their vision of a world with bold, arrogant, distinguished beers.

And so perhaps a Coffee/Macadamia/Coconut beer was the only way left to be different, but is the point of being creative just to be creative? Rightly or wrongly, I expected more from this beer. I'll admit: had it of excluded the full ingredients list from its name I likely would have scored it higher... but I'd still of enjoyed it just the same.

3.51/5  rDev -14.6%

Sampled November 2009
A solid pour into my large Triple Karmeliet tulip produces an almost four finger thick, nicely browned head that leaves some nice, light lacing on the sides of my glass as it slowly subsides. The beer is quite dark, almost pure black, but it shows just a touch of diffused, rich red color when held up to the light, though the beer remains quite opaque. Aroma is quite acrid, sharp and burnt smelling. It doesn't seem to well balanced really. If you can get past the dominant burnt character, there is a nice toasted coconut note to the nose with some vanilla notes. There is a bit of a roasted vegetal note at times to the nose.

The flavor is a bit smoother than the aroma as there is a sweetness to this beer that helps cut the acrid roast, but the beer still finishes with an acidic burnt note that lingers a bit on the tongue. There is a solid, roasted nuttiness to the beer that is a combination of coconut and some other rich nut character that must be the macadamia nut notes (but I don't know this flavor well enough to place it). The body of this beer is actually pretty well balanced, I think the texture is hurt a bit by the acrid roast character, but this also helps to lighten the body up just a touch, but without overwhelming the soft creaminess that this beer has.

As the beer warms up it gets a bit more balanced, though it is still heavily roasted. This is certainly not a bad beer, the roast character really is a bit too harsh to call this great though. The mash schedule and perhaps the water treatment for this beer where a bit off from where they should have been, but this might soften up with 6 months or so of age.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

12oz received as a great quick turnaround trade with AndrewK.. Thanks Andrew!! Sharing with Brenda.. Mine is poured into my Delirium goblet.

1/2" tan head.. no real lacing.. the cap is pretty flimsy.. the brew is pretty much black.

Nose is pretty much a pretty good American Porter.. I'm not getting anything that resembles coconut or macadamia nut.

I am really digging this one.. but I still don't really pick out the coconut or the macadamia nuts.. just a nice coffee porter.. nice coffee element mixes well with the dark malts.. a bit of sorta lactose sweetness..

Great body and carbonation... I like this one, but don't get any of the "collaboration" aspects of this beer other than the coffee.

Thanks Andrew.. another fantastic trade.

3.5/4/4/4/4

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Picked up a bottle of this at John's Marketplace during my last trip out to Portland.

The beer pours a blackish brown color with pretty good head retention and decent lacing. The nose on this beer is pretty interesting, and it seemed to improve and change as it warmed in my glass. Initially, I thought the beer was dominated by an intense coffee ground aroma, with some noticeable black chocolate in the background. However, as the beer warmed, I also got some nutiness, black cherry, milk duds and dried pipe tobacco. The aroma profile in this beer is pretty attracive. Flavors on the palate replicate the nose in a moderately sweet flavor package. There is also a hint of hoppy bitterness in the finish, which is an attractive addition. Mouthfeel is no more then medium bodied, and the beer finishes pretty well. Alcohol is generally well disguised, and drinkability is quite good. In fact, this beer has a depth of flavor I don't see too often in a porter, and it added to the beers enjoyability.

Not sure this beer is/was so good that I'd want to plop down another $7 for a 12 ounce bottle, but nevertheless, this was a solid, very enjoyable porter. Interesting stuff.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours black with a one finger white head, good retention, light lace.

S: Really pretty coffee smell, slight hint of nuts. After the brew is completed a teriyaki sauce type smell comes out of the glass.

T: Robust sweet coffee, coffee-infused chocolate, with a nice secondary flavour of coconut. Light notes of vanilla in the finish.

M: Smooth, silky, with soft prickly carbonation. A bit of ethanol is evident, not as robust as I thought it would be in the end.

D: This is quite a tasty and interesting beer. After all the hype I expected to be blown away, even though I wasn't I still enjoyed this intriguing, drinkable effort.

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing