Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter | Stone Brewing

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter
4.12/5

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Very deep brown in color with tons of lacing. All Stone beer have a ton of lacing even old guardian.

S: Just a rich and deep aroma of coffee and chocolate. Not that complex but damn is it nice.

T: Macademia really comes through in the taste and just makes this beer. The coffee is crisp and clear as well. Amazing balance.

M: Luscious. Just a joy. Creamy. Full bodied. Amazing. Everything you want in a porter.

D: Amazing. We did this next to Central Waters Coffee stout and this one killed. Both are good beers but this had a definite edge.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

A: Dark but light does pass through. Since this is a porter and not a stout, I'll allow it. There is a deep red garnet light that manages to get through. Phenomenally fluffy mocha head.

S: Delightfully abrasive. Rich roasty bitterness. Simply divine.

T: Damn. Very smooth despite the bitterness. Almost creamy with some nuttiness. Macadamia nuts are super evident in the middle and ending. I don't specifically detect any coconut but I'm not sensitive to coconut in general.

M: Actually not as heavy as it should be.

D: Very good. Beat the Central Waters Coffee Stout in a head to head.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to Mike in Gardena, CA for this one.

Pours a jet black with a thin dark tan head which leaves some lacing.

Smell is over the top coffee, lots of it.

Taste is strong coffee and some other flavors which are hard to identify because of the overwhelming coffee flavor.

A thick body with not much carbonation.

A very likable beer if you like coffee porters. If you don't, stay away from this one. I happen to like coffee porters, so I enjoyed this one. Definitely not a session beer. The 8.5 ABV is well hidden, but the strong coffee does not bode well for more than one.

3.84/5  rDev -6.8%

On tap at Maui Brewing. Didn't have the Santa's Little Helper I was looking forward to, nor did they have any glass for growlers. I leave in a few days back to SD. Damn. Oh well, back to the review.

A - Very dark body, small tight bubbled head. Very coating tight lace.

S - Heavy cocoa powder, coffee mixed in.

T - Thick coffee flavor, cocoa mixes well and nice cocoanut nutty flavor in finish.

M - Chewey, thick, well carbed and coats well.

D - Too big too heavy. Not a session. Kills palate and fills you up.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours black, looks like a stout. Smell, something else going on besides coffee, but doesn't jump out as immediately identifiable.

Taste, this is the most aggressive coffee beer I've ever had. Like there is coffee, and you can tell this is some high end ultra rocket fuel type of coffee. Somewhat mutes the toasted/burnt? coconut/nuts feel to the beer. Coffee really dominates.

Maintains consistency, you wish you had more, but its not the kind of beer you're going to pound a bunch down.

2.87/5  rDev -30.3%

Gotta say I really wanted to like this beer and was very excited to try it. It had an excellent porter smell to it. Nutty, chocolatey, bready, it was going so well.

However, the pour was flat, no head and seemed weird. I hope I just got a bad bottle as I found this beer to taste flat, with a really slick, bitter burnt and almost red wine taste. Not what I was expecting.

Porters are my favorite style and love the Maui coconut porter, maybe I got a bad bottle, because the beer in bottle I drank, sucked ass.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz received as a great quick turnaround trade with AndrewK.. Thanks Andrew!! Sharing with Brenda.. Mine is poured into my Delirium goblet.

1/2" tan head.. no real lacing.. the cap is pretty flimsy.. the brew is pretty much black.

Nose is pretty much a pretty good American Porter.. I'm not getting anything that resembles coconut or macadamia nut.

I am really digging this one.. but I still don't really pick out the coconut or the macadamia nuts.. just a nice coffee porter.. nice coffee element mixes well with the dark malts.. a bit of sorta lactose sweetness..

Great body and carbonation... I like this one, but don't get any of the "collaboration" aspects of this beer other than the coffee.

Thanks Andrew.. another fantastic trade.

3.5/4/4/4/4

3.85/5  rDev -6.6%

Reviewed on 12/11/2009. Bottle. Pours black with a small tan head. Aroma of roasted nuts, coffee, bitter roasted malt, and a touch of coconut too. Flavor of sweet roasted malt, residual sugars and lactose initially with a bitter roasted malt finish. Pretty tasty and quite drinkable. This one lived up to my expectations.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Been looking for this for awhile and picked it up, in all places, in Penn Station NY. (There is a beer vendor there at the night rush that gets some pretty awesome stuff....retired vertical epics and such, and sells them to the commuter crowd)

A-Deep opaque brown with a rich creamy tan head with very nice lacing.

S-Pow! This is one fragrant porter....Malty roasted coffee with a nutty background. Mild and odd, but not offsetting dishwater note. Pungent and mouthwatering.

T-Strong, bitter sweet chocolate syrup and coffee start the palate. Surprisingly, the macadamia nuts shine through as well midrange. Power packed with flavor, the finishing hops last forever and work in harmony with the astringent coffee bitterness that rounds out the finish.

M-Silky, chewy, oily, smooth...damn near perfect

D-What a beer...going back to get another tomorrow....I've never seen it anywhere else. Not one to knock back quickly, but a true sipper to savor. A real treat. I am not a huge porter fan, but this has got to be my favorite to date.

Re-review of this beer: Second time around I did this at cellar temperature, and the beer seemed to have lost a bit of its impact and picked up a much hoppier boozier note, almost like a different beer. The two were purchased about a month apart, so they might have been from a different batch, but in any case, this is one to try. Wild ass West Coast take on the style, as is to be expected.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Stone imperial pint glass. Pours a nice dark brown color with deep ruby amber, blood red highlights when held to the light. The tan colored head is a nice inch thick when poured, eventually settling to a nice thick ring lining the inside of the glass and a decent surface coating. Decent lacing. Aromas of roasted malt and coffee along with a nice brown nuttiness and chocolate. The flavor is perfect in my opinion, nice roasted malty sweetness with a hint of caramel and even more chocolate, flowed by a tasty bitter coffee presence and the nuttiness is certainly there on the back end. Slightly crisp, but mainly smooth and frothy, full bodied mouthfeel with minimal carbonation. Almost too easy to drink considering what the ABV of this beer is. Good thing I have one of these aging in my basement, I am interested to see what some time will do to this already fantastic beer. You must try this if you get the chance! Wow!

Eric

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours very dark with a nice inch of creamy tan foam head. Head disappears and leaves a small hint of head as it settled.

Smell: Strong Kona coffee and roasted malts.

Taste: Very strong coffee and chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel: Creamy mouthfeel with a heavy roasted, slightly boozy finish.

Drinkability: I would definitely buy this on a semi regular basis if they were to make it a year round offering. The price is a little steep, but it is what it is.

4.67/5  rDev +13.3%

The beer pours a deep, black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a warm, roasted malt and coffee scent along with delicate hints of chocolate and nuts. The coffee character is top notch with loads of dry, earthy character. The taste is perfect! It has a damn awesome coffee, roastedness. It's incredibly smooth and full bodied with just a hint of macadamia in the finish. It's a dark one for sure with adequate warmth and a ton of black malt/coffee flavor. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is one of the top porters I've ever had. It's incredibly complex with a shit ton of flavor; simply awesome.

4.47/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours an opaque darkness with a HUGE two finger stiff tan head that fades slowly leaving spotty patterns of Belgian lacing behind. The smell is really nice; big blast of Hershey's chocolate syrup light creamy coffee almond and brown sugar. Lightly carbonated, the mouth feel is medium full bodied and the texture is creamy smooth with a nice lingering oily character that compliments the taste nicely. Full flavored, the choco-latte nutty anise taste is really appreciated. The 8.5% ABV is well integrated and is slightly warming in the chest on the way down. One incredible drinker! I really appreciate a porter that has body to it...too many are watery, which has turned me away from the style some. It's a little pricey but worth every penny. I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to consider it. Not your 'average' porter, by any stretch!

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle down the center into a DFH snifter. Not much head, though I may have fudged the pour. Deep, dark brown appearance. Looks great. The aromatics of this porter are exceptional. I didn't know what to expect with so many flavors on the label, but everything is so well layered. They did a great job here. Taste, taste, taste.. hmmm. First thing that popped in my head was hersheys chocolate syrup. Really. Not the best first impression, as I was expecting the coffee flavor above all from the reviews I've read. I can taste the macadamia and coconut on the back end. As the drink warms a bit I'm getting the coffee flavors more and more. Something in this drink brings me back to my youth and I keep thinking about chocolate syrup, chocolate syrup. Mouthfeel is good. Not too thin, not too thick. Very much a "treat" beer. I would drink one and be done.

4.32/5  rDev +4.9%

A - Poured along the side of a tulip glass with a very attractive two-finger head. The head is a beige/mocha color that eventually dies down to an espresso-like film that is quite inviting. Good retention & lacing throughout.

S - Lots of different smells going on during the first sniff. Coffee is most dominant but is accompanied nicely by a subtle, macadamia & coconut scent. There is a presence of roasted malts in the background that ties everything together nicely.

T - Immediate, sharp coffee taste that has almost an espresso-like bitterness to it. After the coffee, the macadamia comes in nicely as well as a hint of chocolate. The coconut comes in towards the end & during the aftertaste. Alcohol presence is minimal until the very end with the warming sensation.

M - Very crisp & carbonated at first but mellows out quickly to a flavorful, smooth, creamy liquid that rests nicely on the tongue. Full-bodied but not too thick/syrupy.

D - I could definitely drink a few more bottles of this. Makes me wonder what it's like on tap.

Overall, this beer is awesome. Even though it can be quite pricey, I definitely recommend this beer to all coffee & beer drinkers, and to anyone who wants to taste something unique!

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

A: Poured straight down the center of a tulip glass. Thick 4 finger head developes and slowly recedes leaving stiky lacing on the glass. A creamy mocha head sits on top of a jet black liquid. Looks appetizing.

S: The beer is still very cold, but Kona coffee hits me in the face immediately. Roasted coffee dominates initially, but as the beer sits and warms up aromas of coffee, chocolate, and little hints of coconut come through.

T: First sip and without a doubt there is a lot of coffee in the flavor. Not just any coffee, but delicious Kona coffee. There is also a good amount of bitterness on the finish. This beer just has a really good aftertaste. As my beer gets closer to cellar temp, the coconut makes appearances now and then. I think the macadamia may have contributed to the mouthfeel more than the taste.

M: Ample amount of carbonation, almost has a zing too it while my beer is at its coldest. As this one warms up the mouthfeel actually gets better. It becomes softer and even creamier. With the softer mouthfeel and CO2 I can't imagine the mouthfeel could be any better. Silky and creamy.

D:Great porter. Flavor is just packed w/ Kona coffee. High quality brew that is perfect on a colder day. This beer is all about subtleties. The Coffee shines, luckily its really good coffee while the supporting flavors round out the flavor really well. Top notch brew.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally found one of these elusive creatures, but pricey at 9 dollars for a 12 oz bottle.
Pours a solid black with a two finger mocha head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smells of fudge, chocolate and coffee mostly. Slight dark fruit in the background. Traces of vanilla and alcohol round out the nose. I don't pick up any coconut or macadamia in the aroma. Taste is coffee and dark chocolate up front, bitter roast that melds into coconut, finishing semi dry with a long lingering roasted grain and coconut finish. Creamy sticky mouthfeel, thick body with a semi dry finish, light carbonation. I really enjoyed this one. I was a little nervous because I really hate coconut, but its subtle enough in here that I could actually appreciate it and I think it works really well.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

This is a twelve ounce into a pint glass. Pours dark, dark nutty brown. I don't find it black, but as brown as it gets with a nice, puffy mocha tan head that stays for awhile. Leaves a web o' lacing around the glass as I drink.

Smells like coffee. I like coffee. I drink coffee all the time so it smells quite good to me. There is also a sweet, almost honey barbecue smell as it warms and lingers.

It tastes like a sweet coffee, getting nuttier as it warms. I taste a little subtle coconut, but not much. I would like a bit more coconut. There is also a bittersweet, roasted chocolate. I dig this honey smoky barbecue that I'm getting. This would probably go great with some chicken wings. Mmmmm.

Carbonation is spot on and smooth. Warming and tasty on a snowy evening.

Not super creamy, not a big alcohol taste, just really easy drinking and goes down quickly despite the underdeveloped coconut.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter pours a very dark chocolate fudge color. Save for a few burgundy highlights at the edges, it's black. A mocha stained tan head covers the top. It stands nearly two fingers tall. Retention was good, but lacing was on the light side.

The nose is very good. If you're into coffee, this certainly smells like a brew for you. Roasted coffee is paramount and is strong throughout. Chocolate malt is strong and complements the coffee scent very well. There's perhaps even a little roasted malt, as well. It has a distinct praline scent, in addition to a healthy dose of vanilla. Perhaps it's just me, but I'm not appreciating much coconut. Alcohol is noted, but doesn't smell strong. I like it, but would've liked it better with more of a coconut scent.

The flavor tracks the nose very well. This is tasty stuff. No question. I'm a coffee fan, so I can appreciate it. Roasted coffee is very strong throughout. I'm not sure the non-coffee crowd could really get into this. It features a nice chocolate and roasted malt base. The chocolate flavor is bittersweet and works extremely well with the coffee element. It does have an interesting praline or nutty flavor. Some vanilla is also present. I'm still not getting much in terms of coconut. That's a shame. It should be stronger. Alcohol doesn't seem too strong. It's mixed nicely. It finishes chocolaty with a strong coffee flavor.

KCMCP has a medium body that's nice and smooth. It seems to grow more substantial with warming. It never quite feels creamy and would benefit from a bit more body. Drinkability is very good. I love coffee in my beer and this is no exception. It goes down way too easy for an 8.5% beer.

This is another fine beer in Stone's growing collection of collaborative efforts. The coffee flavor is easily the highlight and really drives the flavor. I'm a little disappointed that coconut doesn't have a more prominent role, but it's still very tasty beer. If you're not into coffee, you might want to skip this one. Coffee is front and center. However, if you're as much of a coffee drinker as I am, you should definitely seek it out. You won't be disappointed.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Picked this up at Jungle Jims in Fairfield, OH.

A: Pours a pitch black color with a nice 3 fingered khaki colored head that settles down to just a slight layer of bubbles.

S: Smells of freshly ground roast coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, bakers chocolate, slight amounts of lightly toasted coconut

T: very similar to the smell except the roasted malts comes out more in the flavor and is the prominent taste - coffee, vanilla, bakers chocolate, still just slight amounts of toasted coconut...only a tiny alcohol flavor

M: Nice and creamy with a full bodied mouthfeel and smooth carbonation

D: I'd say above average drinkability due to a solid flavor and very little alcohol taste, but it doesn't taste spectacular enough to really knock one out of the park.

3.55/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours black with a small frothy head. Litle sustain or lacing.

S: Light smell of vanilla cream with light coffee aromas.

T: Well-balanced with flavors of mocha, coconut, and light oak notes. A bit of heat.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate-high carbonation. A lingering coconut flavor.

D: This scores points for originality and uniqueness, and it is an enjoyable quaff, but it ultimately falls short of greatness and is not worth its price tag for me. Definitely worth trying though.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Pours an extremely dark brown with one finger of mocha colored head that quickly recedes, leaving only hints of lacing. Held to the light, a ruby tint comes through on the edges, providing enough light to see carbonation bubbling up.

S: As soon as the bottle was opened, a wave of coffee smell comes bursting forth. Once in the glass, the coffee is still dominant but is joined by chocolate, vanilla, and roasted nuts with some oak-like hints. The nutty scent really comes forward as the beer warms.

T: Coffee is still strong, but the vanilla really comes through with the nuts and coconut being noticeable, albeit subdued. Very little in the way of hops, but the coffee provides enough bitterness to achieve an excellent balance. As a whole it leans slightly towards sweetness, but without ever getting anywhere near cloying.

M: Somewhat creamy, but ends up a bit on the thin side. I'm not looking for outright chewiness but I could've gone for a bit more viscosity.

D: The ABV is well hidden and as the beer progresses, the coffee's dominance receds to create a well-blended array of flavors. A pleasure to drink and if not for it's rarity would be easy to drink several of in a sitting.

It's hard to say if it lived up to the hype and hoarding that preceded it, but I can safely say it's a great beer and my favorite of the Stone collaboration beers thus far. Had I not stumbled upon a couple bottles I don't think it would've been worth the effort of trading or going all over town for, but I'm certainly glad I had the opportunity to try it and look forward to seeing how it evolves over the next few months.

Pours black and fairly thick with faint chestnut at the edges. Nice tan head settles slowly, with a good amount of lacing.

Aromas of strong coffee, faint coconut, crisp hops, and a vague alcohol in the background.

A solid porter, with strong flavors of coffee, cocoa, some faint notes of coconut. Some crisp, dry hoppiness and a vague alcohol-warmth. Lots of malt here-- sort of wish coconut and macadamia flavors would come through a little more.

Nice and syrupy body with good carbonation.

Again, an all-around great porter, but I'd like a little more of these flavors listed on the bottle. Overall, a little disappointed. Delicious, but not at seven dollars a (12oz) bottle.

3.95/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a clear, ruddy dark garnet with a wispy head and great legs. Smells like a mocha latte with a shot of vanilla.
Tastes very smooth but where did the coffee go? It's all about chocolate and vanilla. No real macadamia comes through, which is a shame because that would have made it a very interesting brew. The coffee finally comes through in the lingering finish which is dark and roasty. Not much coconut either, in fact, none was discernable.
Overall a nice, creamy porter, much like a stout in presentation. Unfortunately the price is over the top. There are many stouts and other porters out there just as good for half the price.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%

Special thanks to my buddy Bardwashrind for hooking my up with this "birthday brew".
Cheers Andre!

Comes out a deep and dark CocaCola colored body that looks thick and sticky. A brown fizzy head sits proudly on top and has some decent staying power.

The nose is full of freshly roasted coffee beans and rich dark malts. Vanilla beans and oak come through as the beer warms a bit. Dark chocolate and a nutty smell also develop and add character to the party.

The flavor is full of roasted malts and coffee(imagine that huh?)I also taste a nutty flavor but I would not be able to pinpoint macadamias as being the culprit if i wasn't told. Midway a slight sweetness creeps through with a toasted coconut flavor that lingers and makes things interesting before a superbly bitter and earthy ending.

The Feel is pretty silky smooth and creamy with a medium sized body.

Good drinkability. Bitter with a slight sweetness. definately worth a shot if you can find it.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing