Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter | Stone Brewing

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter
4.12/5

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a solid black color with a huge creamy tan head that leaves nice lacing.

S- The nose is full of brewing coffee scents and a bit of smoke. Full dark coffee aroma with dark chocolate coming through. I must say that this is one of the strongest coffee noses that I have had so far.

T- A strong rush of roasted coffee bitterness with a slightly sweet finish. Some cocoa and milk chocolate makes a quick appearance but this baby is all coffee. Waves of espresso and creamy mocha flavor meld together to leave a wonderful coffee aftertaste. The alcohol is hidden quite well. There is just the slightest bit of macadamia nuts and coconut although I'm not sure if I would have picked them out if I didn't know they were in there.

M- Medium/full bodied with a gentle carbonation.

D- Truly a fantastic brew. If you love coffee, this is a must have.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

From the bottle:

Instant smell of coffee as I poured this dark brew into my glass. First sip of roasted bitterness, chocolate, and coffee. The coconut must be in the background as I didn't notice it at first. Wait - yup, there it is.

Medium body and mouth feel is a little more thin than I was expecting.

Very very drinkable and the abv is well hidden. A solid brew that I would drink again. Is it worth $8 for a 12oz? Mmm...not so sure.

Next!

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

Picked this up at 99 Bottles. Not sure it will be available at home. As it turns out the bottle won't make it home as I am enjoying it on my last night in Seattle.

Dark, dark brown... like a deep root beer. In fact darker. Like French roast coffee the more I think about it. Thin tan head forms and quickly recedes. There is small amount of lacing that remains.

My God this smells exactly like Founders Breakfast or Peche Mortel. Coffee, boozy, wonderful..

Well my first comment is that I don't taste any coconut. Strong, smooth wonderful coffee/espresso flavor. Some vanilla and I would almost say it tastes barrel aged. I don't think it is. This is really growing on me as I enjoy the bottle. Dark roasted notes linger with a slight nuttiness, but I would have never guessed macadamia nuts.
At the end I can definitely sense the abv, but it's not "hot" It works.

Semi bold and thick body, oily slick and smooth. Slight carbonation.

Very drinkable and I hope I can find more at home. I really like this.

Well done!

A very caramel brown dark body with a brown hue. Quickly fading mocha head that lases the glass.

Roasted nutty smells accompanied by toffee and vanilla. Very rich chocolate.

Bitter dark chocolate roasted malt and coconut all complement each other. Coffee and vanilla flavors carry over nicely as well.

A nice carbonation cuts the beer to make it almost have a light mouthfeel. A dry finish. I can't really taste the ABV. A very well done beer not quite as special as I would've hoped but not bad all the same.

4.77/5  rDev +15.8%

Whenever I see a beer from Maui Brewing Company, I always get excited. When I first went to Maui 2 years ago, I was highly impressed with the beers that they were creating at Maui Brewing Company- Coconut Porter, Black IPA's, Stouts aged in Rum barrels and my friend's favorite, Red Cock Doppelbock- my kind of 'Hawaiian' beer. AND I have not been able to find any of their special releases outside the brew pub besides their Bikini Blond Ale (my least favorite but still a good beer), Big Swell IPA (actually this IPA is one of my favorite IPA's) and Coconut Porter (delish). These are so worth trying- they sell them at Whole Foods and it comes in a can; which by the way, is ecofriendly , it keeps your beer fresher longer and it gets colder faster.

SO I was very very excited to try a collaboration beer with Maui Brewery, Stone Brewery (another great brewery) and the home brewer Ken Schmidt. I enjoyed a bottle of it at Monk's Kettle...for $16..expensive but it is a 8.5% beer and you can no longer buy it at a store. It is a porter brewed with Kona Coffee, Macademia nuts and toasted coconut...It was definately full of flavor- it was nutty, smokey with a coffee finish- definately meant to be sipped and loved!

Oh how I love you Maui Brewing Company...I hope you end up distributing more beers out to California soon or just twist my arm and make me go to Maui to get some aloha.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Got this as a extra from Jerz thanks for the great trade!!!

A - Dark pour with a chocolate head with minimal lacing and a small head.

S - Light chocolate, nutty, some coffee notes.

T - the coffee flavor comes through this one is similar to the Stone RIS in some ways but with a but of the nutty flavor coming through.

M - leaves a bit of the chocolate feel behind as well as a the nuttyness from the tasting as well.

D - really good, really smooth might be perfect if the price was lower(I know it was a extra but the price was still on it) either way looking for another if given the chance.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Interesting bottle, randomly picked this up and was interested to learn that it was a collaboration between Stone brewery, a home-brewer, and a Hawiian brewery.

A) Very dark cola-esque brown with small dark fizzy brown head. Slightly thick and viscious layer against glass.

S) Coffee definitely stood out. Dark, roasted malts, some mild sweetness of the coconut as well. Not a super strong smell.

T) Very flavorful - the roasty coffee, malts, smokiness, and nuttiness all stand out. This is a big flavor, very robust. No overt sweetness but the coconut while subtle balances out some of the bitterness.

MF) Medium, somewhat chewey, thick on the tongue.

D) Good - great taste, and I don't detect the 8.5% alcohol. It's pleasant but one was plenty with so much flavor.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

pours a good looking dark rootbeer color with a bit of a cream colored head that doesn't last too long.
the aroma is big a rich. it's got all the stuff your expecting, espresso, nut (macadamia i guess), and soft coconut. besides that there is vanilla, dark chocolate. a touch boozey.
the taste is similar to the aroma, but rounder and more complex. the nuttiness especially plays of the coffee nicely. there is a nice burnt aspect, due partially or fully to the coffee, that very nicely balances out the sweetness. you pick up more roasty coconut as you exhale after taking a sip.
the mouthfeel is just shy of full bodied and perfectly suited to the taste. the burnt dryness couples with the smooth creamy body to create something really special in my opinion.
the drinkability is fantastic. remeniscent of peche mortel with a few different things going on. well worth the somewhat steep price.

4.38/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into chimay goblet...

A: Pours a beautifully rich dark chocolate bordering on black, nice creamy two finger mocha head forms and falls slowly leaving behind pretty good lacing, nice 1/2 inch cap remains throughout...

S: Definitely get the coffee upfront, smells of a dark roast with the macadamia nuts coming through along with some roasted caramel malt. Don't get any of the coconut, but didn't really expect to get it in the nose...

T: Huge flavors here!!! Wow, this is a massive porter with a lot of complexity. Coffee starts the show backed by the caramel malts, not as sweet as I expected which is a good thing in my opinion. Just a hint of the nuts comes through mid-palate and especially lingers in the finish. The coconut is ever so faint, guessing it might reveal itself more as it warms up. Bittersweet chocolate lingers long after it goes down and the abv is completely hidden. This is fantastic!

M: Just a hair heavier than medium bodied and the carbonation is as close to perfect as it could get, very smooth and just a slight tingle on the tongue to wake up the tastebuds.

D: Incredibly smooth and drinkable, abv is completely hidden and this is a wonderful beer all around! Highly recommend!

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

One of the longest names for a beer there could possibly be. I think Stone needs to think of some sort of system for nicknaming their collabs.

A- Pours really thick and dark. This beer looks like a stout. Its really dark red/brown with nearly no light passing through at all. A big khaki colored head rises up and stays around for the whole glass leaving good lacing.

S- Strong smell of coffee, coconut, nuts. It smells like a box of chocolates almost.

T- Really surprising taste. The first sip was a shock. There is an unexpected sourness to this porter. Its also quite bitter. I was expecting something a lot more sweet. That being said this isnt a bad tasting beer by along shot. Its quite good. Very complex, there is a lot of stuff going on here.
The front comes in nutty and earthy and is quickly followed up by a sourness that underlies a black coffee bitterness. The middle holds a flash of milky coconut. The finish leaves with a hint of hops and more coffee that remains on the palette.

M- Really smooth medium body, medium carbonation. Slightly drying. A little bit of stickiness remains on the lips.

D- Allow yourself to get acclimated to this beer. It may take a few sips but it quickly grew on me. I wish I had another.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

I discovered this one in one of my local grocery stores. I am ever intrigued by the idea of an exotic porter, particularly a coconut porter. I was curious to see how this one stacks up against the Maui Brewing offering, particularly since this one looks like a partnership between Stone in CA and that brewery.

Pours a thick, dark black with an initially robust toffee colored head and a low to moderate amount of carbonation. Aroma is very grainy and smells of roasted barley with a hint of molasses. Toasted coconut is there, but a bit less obvious than I anticipated, even after I let it warm a few more degrees.

Initially, while it was still a bit cold, it had a lot more bitterness than I was prepared for, but as it warmed the coconut stood out and a balanced this somewhat. Body is surprisingly smooth. The finish is slightly sweet, very malty and not at all overwhelming in regards to the coconut. I understand there's some macadamia in this one, but I'm not getting much of a nutty character. The Kona coffee blends in so well with the roasted malt and coconut, I would have had trouble picking it out among the mix if I hadn't seen it on the label. It does have a slightly oily feel, which may be derived from the macadamia influence; I can't say. It would also explain the head dissipation, since any oil introduced by the nuts might well disturb the proteins forming the head.

Overall, this is a good porter. I really like the balance between the roasted malt, coconut and hoppy bitterness. I especially appreciate the smoothness. This is a bigger beer with a reasonable amount of alcohol, but it takes a few sips for that to become very noticeable. I don't know that I could drink more than one of these in a sitting, but I'd call this a sipping beer to enjoy once in a while. It's a bit costly at $8 a pop, but given that the unusual and expensive ingredients require a bit more expense per bottle, I don't regret having given this one a try.

3.84/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle, another from the series of collaborations between Stone and one (or more) brewers. Poured to a pint glass. The final inning of Game 6 of the World Series, Yankees win it 7-3.

A: Very dark, a striking brown-ness that glows with auburn at the fringes. Head never builds above 1/2-finger, falls rapidly to a slender ring and broken film. Little lace, just a few dabs of cream.

S: A nostril-stinging noseful of acrid coffee and burnt nuts...first sniff was a bit off-putting...not that it's 'bad' it's just, well, strong... Sweeter notes of toasted macadamia, vague coconut, a little cocoa.

T: Wow, NOT what I expected...a tart/sour porter? Not as harsh as that sounds, but I expected a much less astringent coffee roast, a sweeter malt, a more notable 'tropical' flair, I suppose. Chewy coffee and bittersweet baker's chocolate, a liberal lemony squeeze

M: Crisp, almost biting, carbonation. Hefty build-up of malty grain filling the mouth, a long-lasting bitterness. Medium/full body, alcohol isn't blatant but warmth is apparent.

D: Only moderately drinkable for me, an intense porter with a tart twist and a lofty ABV...OK to sip on 12 oz. for a while but nowhere near the upper echelon for me...cost is high per bottle ($8+), which doesn't necessarily factor into drinkability, but does factor into 'repeat buy-ability'...worth a try.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Reviewed from notes, drank on October 25th. Poured into a founders brewing pint glass. Picked this one up at De cicco's after the CL flaming fury release.

KSMSKCMCP holds a oil stain black color with some rusty brown spots towards the edges and bottom of the glass. A cascading dark brown head turns light tan on top when it settles down. The foam reaches a 1/2 inch and has a nice creamy look. Good retention and some soapy lace but over time it fades into a ring around the glass.

Deep rich scents of kona coffee followed by chocolate and a sprinkle of cocco. This reminded me of a very light chocolate milk at times. The macadamia nuts used come out with warming. Roasted malt and a small hint of smoke. The coconut is minimal and does not really register.

The kona coffee is very big when this beer is cold so if that's what your after drink it on up. Over time the macadamia nuts integrate with the coffee making for an interesting mix. This is a nutty porter with a light but noticable chocolate touch. Some french vanilla shows up while the coconut remains minimal. Coconut is a hard ingredient to brew well so im not upset that it's not that large here. Any hops used don't make a dent with any significant taste, but im sure they have something to do with the overall flavor.

This porter holds a above medium body with some thickness to it, nowhere near watery. It goes down pretty simple. A mix between light milk chocolate and alot of coffee in the mouth with a short lasting aftertaste. OTOH, once this reached true room temperature the taste really went downhill in a sense because all I could taste was the M nuts and a some burnt flavors came up which struck me the wrong way. Drink this baby cold, warming does not help it IMO. No bitterness and low but noticable carb.

Not the most drinkable porter i've had, I was not sulking when I was done my 12oz. The ABV is slightly high but it's well hidden. Im glad I only bought one bottle of this because it's not something I would go back to. I enjoyed it enough though and porter fans should seek it out as it is kind of unique. This is probably the closest I will ever get to try products from Maui brewing so im glad i tried it.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz bottle received from hoppymcgee. Thanks for this one! Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours an opaque, extremely dark brown, almost black in color. A variable one finger of creamy tan head forms on top - lasts a couple of minutes before descending to the surface into a layer of bubbles and a nice collar.

S - Smells of sweet coconut, creamy coffee. Not really picking up any nuttiness in the aroma. A touch of chocolate.

T - Sweet, creamy coffee flavor - smooth and rich. Sweet coconut, burnt dark chocolate. Some caramel maltiness offset by hop bitterness. No macadamia character that I can detect.

M - Surprisingly thin and on the watery side. Carbonation is medium and gives a nice prickly feel on the tongue and roof of the mouth. Overall pretty smooth, even a touch oily in feel.

D - Not detecting the 8.5% shown on the bottle. Similar in character to the Maui Coconut Porter (not surprisingly). Very smooth and goes down easy. For a strong porter, this is quite drinkable. Very much a coffee beer more than a coconut beer. Coconut is subtle - coffee dominates.

4.8/5  rDev +16.5%

A - This beer poured a dark brown color that produced a nice fluffy dark tan color that had great retention and laced the side of the glass very nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were dark malts, bitter chocolate, coffee beans, coconut, and nuts

T - The taste of this beer had dark, toasted malts, bitter chocolate, smooth, freshly ground coffee beans, sweet coconut, and a light taste of nuts that I would guess is the Macadamia, which I do not have much experience with

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium to heavy body with a light amount of carbonation

D - This is probably one of the most expertly crafted beers that I have ever tasted, everything blends perfectly, everyone should really have a chance to try this great beer

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees
Super thanks to my main man, normyk, for hooking me up with this one!

This pours a very dark brown color with a tiny hint of ruby highlights. The head of foam is a medium brown in color, almost two-fingers thick and creamy and dense looking. Retention is excellent and the lacing is thick and sticky.

Roasted malts and a definite presence of dark roasted coffee beans dominate the nose. There is a slight hint of coconut sweetness.

Very nice notes of medium-dark roasted coffee beans. Not in-your-face, but highly tasty and enjoyable. A mild level of coconut sweetness, along with a hint of toastiness. Solid roasted malt base. The beauty of the flavor is the macadamia presence, which brings a mild nuttiness to the profile. It also seems to provide a nice level of smoothness to the whole thing, not unlike oats can do.
Very, very good.

This has a full body and a great, medium, level of carbonation. It is smooth, rich, and quite creamy. More than silky, but not quite velvet yet.

This is a very tasty beer and I hope that they produce it again, hopefully in a larger scale, which would make it more accessible to more people. The 8.50%abv is quite well hidden, only showing up as a light hint of warmth, in the back of your throat.
Very drinkable.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%

Reviewed with speedwayjim served out of a surly pint glass.

Appearance: poured a 1 1/2 finger of frothy and bubbly light caramel head which dissipates quickly and black amber in color.

Smell: Straight black coffee.

Taste: opens with dark coffee and a malt profile as a subtle dark chocolate intertwines with the coffee till the end. A nuttiness comes in at the finish and a hint of coconut as the finish carries into the aftertaste which consist of chocolate, coffee and malt. This was a big let down until we had this as it warmed up a bit and the coconut becomes more prominent in the middle to finish.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied, moderate carbonation and silky.

Drinkability: I would definitely have this again and recommend this to those who enjoy a coffee, dark chocolate and subtle nutty and coconut profile toward the end. Serve this one chilled and let it warm up to room temperature and enjoy the way this brew evolves as this warms up.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours just shy of being opaque. The head pours a nice light brown color and dissipates down to a frothy cap leaving patchy lacing.

The smell is sweet. I get the sweetness of the coconut as well as roasted coffee aromas. Some alcohol comes through, also.

The taste starts out chocolaty and sweet up front with coffee and more roasted flavors coming in next. I can see where the nutty and coconut flavors come into play throughout. I imagine the silky smooth mouth feel is a result of the coconut milk used, giving it an almost milk-stout smoothness.

Overall, an interesting combination of flavors that worked out really well. The coconut comes through, as well as some other sweet, nutty and roasted flavors.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

12 fl. oz. bottle poured into stout glass.

A: Pours with a not-quite-opaque dark brown body. Light tan head with a medium amount of lacing. Decent retention.

S: Smells a bit grainy and roasted, nothing too big.

T: A coconut like sweetness that is reminiscent of a sweet/milk stout. A very nice toasted nut quality along with a roasted coffee flavor are in the finish.

M/D: Nice and thick milky body from the coconut. Carbonated well. Slight signs of alcohol on the back of the throat.

Overall, pretty good. Thought of it as more of a milk stout. Too bad Stone keeps jacking up the prices on these collaborations.

3.82/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours a deep dark chestnut brown color that's almost completely black and opaque except for slight mahogany edges when held to a light source and a slightly fizzy frothy dark tan head that slowly fades into a lasting ring. Minimal spots of lacing.

Very roasty malt aroma with a prominent sweet coconut presence that is slightly lactic with hints of dark chocolate, roasted coffee bean, vanilla, toffee, oatmeal burnt toast and subtle hops. The sweetness of the coconut balances out the roasted nutty malt flavors.

Again, the flavor and mouthfeel are dominated by a slightly viscous deep roasted coffee flavor. There is plenty of silky and smokey bitter chocolate malt along with hints of roasted coffee bean, caramel, toffee, oatmeal and burnt toast. There is also a nice sweet coconut, lactic flavor that provides a nice balance without taking away to much from the deep roasted notes. Dry hop presence that along with the bitter dark chocolate and roasted notes provide a nice dry finish. Very complex and decently balanced with no trace of alcohol warmth, but the dominant roasted flavors slightly hurt the drinkability. A nice twist of the coffee beer style.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

this is one of those beers i feel would probably be better now over later but we will see.

A- good sized head with a moderate pour for a darker beer. liquid seems on the thin side but i love imperial stouts.

S- such and odd smell with the coconut coming through at the end with the coffee and malts that you would expect being in the lead. theres a buttery taste in there that i think will have a bigger part in the future.

T- i wish stone would make more beers that are sweeter over being super hopped. i do the the smell is more complex than the taste. theres the coffee you would expect all over the place but i expected this to be sweeter after hearing all that went into it and this does effect the finish as it is a bit just a tiny bit dry at the end.

M- great mouth feel other the the very very slight dry finish but if you like an English porter you might not even notice.

D- if the price wasnt so steep you could drink many of these in a single day if the alcohol let you.

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%

A - dark, cocoa brown with a very small (1/8 in), quickly dissipating, light tan head. no lace.

S - coffee is, of course, the dominant olfactory hue here. However, bits of dark chocolate, licorice, and a hint of black cherry all shuffle amongst one another in the background.

T - As an avid Kona coffee drinker, I can appreciate the Kona shining through, but I feel its a bit too dominant here for what is supposed to be a collaboration of flavors, and brewers. The coconut flavor and macadamia nuts could have been allowed to shine through a bit more, but instead they are relegated to secondary flavors by the Kona. Cocoa is the third heat. A solid, if unconventional, porter.

M - the mouthfeel makes this beer work. Its flavor is a bit sharp, but the a slightly uncharacteristically heavy amount of carbonation keeps the coffee from coating the tongue too over-whelmingly. Nice and light, yet a bit creamy.

D - Moderate. A good food pairing.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic.

A- Very deep mahogany, and completely opaque. Pours with ~1 1/2 fingers of brown head, which fades into a thin, oily film and a few bubbles for a cap.

S- Big coffee notes from the get go. Chock full of roasty goodness.

T- Roasty coffee, nuttiness, and toasted coconut....I don't know why, but I'm a bit shocked that it actually tastes like 'em all crammed in there. Solid malty sweetness counters the coffee bitterness and light astringency.

M- Moderate carbonation and a nice full feel. Creamy and reasonably smooth.

D- Very good. An enjoyable sipper with nice aroma, flavor, and feel.

Future outlook: I'm digging coffee stouts right now, and this more or less fills the bill, plus a nice complexity beyond some of the others that I've enjoyed. No doubting that I really enjoyed this one, but the problem is the price...just waaaay too much to justify it beyond a one-off trial.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

Bottle poured a clear dark brown with a lasting tan head. Aromas of coconut, coffee, dark chocolate and light vanilla. Flavors of dark chocolate, coconut, coffee and light roastiness with a lingering chocolatey coffee finish. Mouyhfeel was medium bodied and smooth. fairly drinkable but a bit pricy.

3.6/5  rDev -12.6%

Shared this one with capra12. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Surly pint glass.

A: Poured a 1.5 finger coarse light caramel head with moderate retention. Brew itself was black amber, near opaque. Lacing was close to non-existent.

S: Coffee nose is overwhelming here with just a tiny tiny hint of nuttiness. However, the strong black coffee aroma really just seems to cover everything else.

T: Nutty roasted coffee, dark chocolate. Coconut taste really makes itself apparent as the brew warms and comes in towards the middle, end. Taste is like coconut shavings.

M: Deep bodied and rather carbonated. Brew is filmy in the mouth and finishes clean and quick.

D: I'm not really sure what the hype surrounding this beer is. Yes, its pretty good, but nothing outstanding, just very very different. That being said, its sweeter than other porters I've had and more complex. Deserving, but not outrageously good.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing