Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter | Stone Brewing

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

This one is quickly becoming a fave of mine.

A: Very dark color with mocha colored head

S: This smells fantastic! You can definitely smell the coffee aroma emiting out of the glass. No strong scent of coconut.

T: Very tasty. You are instintantly hit with the coffee flavor, though not overbearing. I've tried some coffee porters that tasted like chewing on a coffee bean, not for me. This one however, has the perfect amount of coffee flavor. Very faint on the coconut flavor. Didn't really notice the coconut on the first try. The macadamia nut flavoring makes this taste so smooth.

M: You gotta try it, that's all I can say.

D: This one is very easy to drink. Drink it slowly and let it warm up a little in your cup. Makes for a mighty tasty beer. Goes down smooth.

All in all this is in my top favorites. Was supposed to be in short supply, but it keeps popping up in stores around MA. Glad, because I need more!

4.73/5  rDev +15.1%

Bottle purchased at K&L Wines in Redwood City, CA. Served in 12 oz wine glass at 57 degrees.

My first review, but I figured this beer was a great place to start.

Tied with FWXII for my favorite beer of 2009. Spoke with the STone guys at the SF Holiday Beer fest. I didn't realize Ken Schmidt was "just" a home brewer - great work sir! Also, they said only 30 cases were made, so thanks to the guys from K&L for giving me the second to last bottle!

A - No lacing, pours dark brown almost black, slight foam dissipates quickly
S - Caramel, coffee, little bit of nuttiness and chocolate and a hint of bourbon. Coconut appears and stronger coffee aroma as it warms up.
T - So good. Starts with chocolate sweetness and some coconut and expands with heavy roasted malts, nuts and coffee taking over. Flavors blend together perfectly. Sweetness from the coconut at the end. Lingering aftertaste I don't want to go away
M - Smooth, almost oily but not heavy, the mild carbonation complements nicely
D - Little bit of lingering alcohol complements the coconut aftertaste. I could knock back a few. Already bummed about not having a second one

Reminiscent of the Maui Porter but not nearly as complex. Less nuttiness or heavy roasted malts, but until I can track down another bottle, the Porter will have to do

4.73/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

4.77/5  rDev +16.1%

Whenever I see a beer from Maui Brewing Company, I always get excited. When I first went to Maui 2 years ago, I was highly impressed with the beers that they were creating at Maui Brewing Company- Coconut Porter, Black IPA's, Stouts aged in Rum barrels and my friend's favorite, Red Cock Doppelbock- my kind of 'Hawaiian' beer. AND I have not been able to find any of their special releases outside the brew pub besides their Bikini Blond Ale (my least favorite but still a good beer), Big Swell IPA (actually this IPA is one of my favorite IPA's) and Coconut Porter (delish). These are so worth trying- they sell them at Whole Foods and it comes in a can; which by the way, is ecofriendly , it keeps your beer fresher longer and it gets colder faster.

SO I was very very excited to try a collaboration beer with Maui Brewery, Stone Brewery (another great brewery) and the home brewer Ken Schmidt. I enjoyed a bottle of it at Monk's Kettle...for $16..expensive but it is a 8.5% beer and you can no longer buy it at a store. It is a porter brewed with Kona Coffee, Macademia nuts and toasted coconut...It was definately full of flavor- it was nutty, smokey with a coffee finish- definately meant to be sipped and loved!

Oh how I love you Maui Brewing Company...I hope you end up distributing more beers out to California soon or just twist my arm and make me go to Maui to get some aloha.

4.79/5  rDev +16.5%

This gem is courtesy of Bitterbill, cheers! Very thrilled to get this one!!!

Pours chestnut tinged mahogany with 3 fingers of mocha head. Good lacing & above average head retention

S: Dark chcolate & tons of coffee, plus some creme de cacao as well

T: Coffee, charred grain, baker's chocolate, a touch of booze, coconut & cream up front. Coconut & charred grains as this warms along with a nice coffee flavor, some cocoa & vanilla hiding in the background. Finishes dry with some nice coconut sweetness, coffee & vanilla

MF: Chewy, fairly smooth, but a touch of grainyness as this warms

Drinks pretty damn easy, there is a touch of booze roughness & grainy mouthfeel holding this back just a little, otherwise perfection! Not sure this is worth the price on this sticker though, ouch!!! Stellar none the less!

4.79/5  rDev +16.5%

There are not many things that I would wait in line 30 minutes for, but the idea of a Kona coffee, macadamia, coconut porter was just too good to pass up. The brew did not disappoint and the 4 ounce taste at the StoneFest was just enough to wet my appetite and put me on edge waiting for the eventual bottle release. After a month of waiting, speculating and spreading the word, I finally got my bottles last night and was not disappointed!

Smells terrific, I get lots of macadamia on the nose with hints of reminiscent familiarity, Maui coconut porter, it's definitely in there. On the buds, it's Kona coffee up front for sure. As the beer warmed it evolved into a more complex meld of Hawaiian goodness. The macadamia and coconut work more as accents and are perfect compliments to the rich Kona coffee flavor. Full bodied and viscous with perfect carbonation and a small pleasantly stiff hop under bite, perfect in just about every way, you can taste the craftsmanship and artistry that went into this beer.

This is not only the best of the Stone Collaborations, but it is the first of the series that actually validates the mission of bringing brewers together to passionately redefine what beer can be.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

A - This beer poured a dark brown color that produced a nice fluffy dark tan color that had great retention and laced the side of the glass very nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were dark malts, bitter chocolate, coffee beans, coconut, and nuts

T - The taste of this beer had dark, toasted malts, bitter chocolate, smooth, freshly ground coffee beans, sweet coconut, and a light taste of nuts that I would guess is the Macadamia, which I do not have much experience with

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium to heavy body with a light amount of carbonation

D - This is probably one of the most expertly crafted beers that I have ever tasted, everything blends perfectly, everyone should really have a chance to try this great beer

4.85/5  rDev +18%

I was thrilled to be able to track this one down. Needless to say I needed to get a hold of one as it was made to be had by me for sure. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this gem was enjoyed on 10/22/2009.

The pour was fabulous. Rich dark brown in color with a huge tan head that just leapt over the top of the glass. Seriously impressed here I have to say right from the start. Thick lacing just dripping down the sides of the glass with each moment getting further and further down the rabbit hole so to speak. Enormous aroma of rich roasted coffee, hints of nuts and vanilla just dripping off of it as well, so ridiculously sweet and delicious, I was in heaven here to say the least. Warming brought out more vanilla and hints of wonderful touches of brown sugar and thick coffee notes. The I took a sip, suck a luscious full bodied feel, it was amazing at just how nice this one came together. Rich notes of sweet brewed coffee and mingled in seamlessly with touches of wonderful nuts and vanilla. Hints of like woody notes as well as brown sugar just rippled all over this one. So sweet it was just a pleasure to be able to try it. No hint of the ABV at all, in fact, it was beyond well hidden,

Overall this was one of the best coffee beers I have ever run across. Just solid from top to bottom and not a thing I could say to complain about it at all. No wonder people have been raving about this one, it really is just that good. Got to go out and find another few.

4.87/5  rDev +18.5%

Had this out of a snifter at Holiday Wine Cellar's special event for San Diego Beer Week 2010: "Stone Vintage Archives & Decadent Chocolate Pairings" hosted by Dr. Bill Sysack of Stone Brewing. Paired with North Park's Eclipse Chocolat - Vanilla Bean Sassafras truffle. Refereed to by Dr. Bill as "Aloha Plenty".

Notes from Ken Schmidt (who was present for the entire tasting) - 300 lbs of Kona Coffee, 300 lbs of Macadamia Nut and 100 lbs of toasted coconut

A: Pours an extremely dark hue with a solid head revealing some brown hues around the edge of the glass, leaving amazing lacing from start to finish.

S: Herbal/medicinal flavors with roasted coffee up front in a big way,nutty coconut and sweet roasted malt that is very unique and pleasant. The coconut comes through with perfect execution.

T: Very similar to the nose, but even more roasted malt, big buttery flavor from the macadamia, finishing with a sweet cafe mocha flavor that rounds out the overall flavor perfectly. I am not a fan of porters but man this is something else!

M: Medium bodied, buttery and creamy, with a good carbonation that lends to the overall mouthfeel perfectly.

D: All night long - no problem!

4.97/5  rDev +20.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. Beer pours out fairly close to black in color. When the liquid gets thinner it's sort of a cola color. A hard pour gives a thick foamy head that goes away fairly quickly. Not much in the lacing department, probably because it's been aged a bit, but this guy's been cellared properly! There is a ring of the head that stays the whole time.

Smell is amazing. A "wine swirl" sends a sweet then bitter combination of aromas. Sweet, very malty, sweet decadent and bitter chocolate (ore than I expected) then some coffee. Coconut is present, but more like coated in chocolate. I'm not talking Mounds bar here, I'm talking high class chocolatier chocolate. Not much in the way of hops here, but it doesn't need it.

Taste is effing amazing! Again, it's like a coconut chocolate while drinking a cup of black coffee, soooo good. A bit of toasiness and roastiness in the malt department. Slight bitterness in the finish, but more from the malts than hops I would say, not much of a hop flavor again.

Mouthfeel is superb. Silky smooth with an excellent carbonation feel. Such a delightful and sweet start with a crisp slightly bitter finish. The hops are detectable in the mouthfeel, just for a bitterness aspect. Sort of earthy, maybe even tropical because there's a slight coconut milky feel. Unbelievably drinkable, I wish this was a bomber, heck a 3 liter!

I've been awaiting this one for a looong time, I missed it when it first came out. If I had known how good it would be I would have done whatever I could to find it and stock up big time. Best collaboration beer from Stone so far.

Huge props to huadog for the trade, you're the man Russ!

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing