Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter | Stone Brewing

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut PorterKen Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-22-2009

Nice dark color with a creamy tan head. The head eventually fades into a bubbly thin film across the top of the beer. Some lacing is visible as well.

The aroma consists mostly of roasted coffee beans and some nutty malts. A tinge of metallic notes come through as well, but start to fade as the beer warms up a bit.

Well, the coffee flavor is what first hits your mouth. Its not overbearing or bitter, yet you can't miss it. Well balanced in my opinion. Beyond the coffee flavor are some toasted dark malts and a somewhat nutty flavor, which I'm guessing is from the macadamia nuts. Fairly subtle, but still there and they seem to smooth out the coffee flavor. The only thing I'm not really picking up on is the coconut. At times I think it is there, but then I can't taste it on the next sip.

The mouthfeel is smooth and somewhat creamy. Nice body for an American Porter. The ABV is well hidden, making this an easy drinker.

Overall, this is a very nice porter. Everything is well balanced. I think that people who are really looking for the macadamia nut and coconut to stand out will be somewhat disappointed, but those who want a more well balanced beer, that has some subtle differences from the standard porter, will be very satisfied with this beer.

3.95/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a snifter to reveal opaque black body and slight tan head. Smells like coffee grounds in black bean teriyaki sauce, but in a good way. Head dies pretty quickly, leaving little lacing.

Tastes well-roasted with lots of savory notes. Nice light bitterness. Hints of soy sauce. Good malt smoothness. I actually have some Hawaiian crushed coffee bean-candied macadamia nuts in the pantry and there are a lot of flavor parallels here. It's got all the roastiness of the porter with some nice nutty accents and a deep coffee undertone. Maybe even some coconut character, but it's always hard to get that last one. There's less bitterness at the end than what I'd expect from a Stone anything. Medium-bodied, lightly carbonated mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

Overall I dig it. If it were cheaper, I would consider buying more and totally marinate some chicken in it.

3.78/5  rDev -8%

Didn't wanna drop $7 on a single of this but I guess I did since it would be a one time only experience. Appearance was very weak, might have to do with the nuts? Poured a very dark brown almost black with a one finger fizzy head that died instantly, sounded like champagne. No topping or ring on the beer to speak of. No retention or lacing = eh. Smell was awesome here. Coconuts, coffee, nuts, roasted malts. The nutty aspect of the nose was very strong and by far my favorite part of the beer. The taste was good but it ended up fading to straight up nut. Hints of coconut, coffee and roasted malts. Also got some cocoa along the way. Mouthfeel is also weak on this beer. A tiny bit of cream but mostly watery with some warming. Coat of nutty flavor left in the mouth with appropriate carbonation. A bit more thickness would have been very nice. Drinkability is also weak. The taste is good but not good enough for $7 and it seemed to end up just tasting like straight up nuts and the balance was lost. The off mouthfeel also impacted the experience.

4.26/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After my lukewarm experiences with a couple of past Stone collaborations, I was hesitant to spend $7 to $10 a bottle on this one. Unfortunately, the decision was made for me and supplies dried up while I was out of town (thanks to consistently excellent reviews). I finally managed to track this down for $7.50 and was happy to pay it.

Lightly chilled bottle into a glass.

A: Pours a pitch black in the glass with the barest smidgen of mahogany translucence at the edges. A vigorous pour produces a fluffy, short-lived mocha head. As it disappears, it leaves nothing, not even a thin donut on the brew. There is no lacing.

S: The beer is hardly dead, though, and despite the lack of carbonation, it has quite stunning aromaticity. Tantalizing wafts of coconut, coffee, and dark chocolate tempt the nose. Roasted malts are surely present, but if they're in here I can't detect them.

T: Far richer than the nose suggested. Starts off with coconuts, toffee, toasted almonds, and oranges. The mid-taste showcases the coffee flavor, which is nicely roasted and bitter without becoming overbearing. The finish brings out dark chocolate. Oranges and vanilla reappear in the aftertaste. It tastes like a gourmet chocolate.

M: Medium-full body. Low carbonation, almost still even; but it delivers the flavor well and even cleans up to prevent the beer from becoming syrupy. Quite a nice sipper.

D: Well worth the price I paid. I won't be so quick to write off Stone collaborations in the future. Well done.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

12oz bottle served in a snifter.

Black brew with a creamy beige head that settles to a ring and leaves a bit of lacing behind.
Roasted coffee bean aroma, very nice.
Taste has plenty of roasted coffee beans with dark chocolate and some nuttiness taking a back seat. The nut taste is more evident in the burps after drinking this beer. I like it a lot.
Medium bodied with a velvety smooth feel.
Easy to drink as the 8.5% abv is not noticable at all in the aroma or taste, so tread lightly.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Had this a few times since the release. This review is from notes 10/22. Thanks to Shane and Mike for bottles as well as my homie Greg in NYC.

Pours black with a 1/2 finger head fading to a ring. Appears to be lightly carbonated.

Aroma is definitely coffee forward. Deep flavors of roasted beans. Dark Chocolate and roasted Malts. Marzipan and Coconut struggle to come through, but succeed more as it warms.

Taste is very coffee forward, slight bitterness initially from the coffee. Nuttiness is present. The first couple times I had this, I thought the coconut was too subtle to be enjoyed, but the most recent time I kept getting an intense, lingering coconut flavor in the finish. This flavor was not a sweet coconut, it was nutty and toasty in character. Quite enjoyable actually, and caused me to bump this up a notch.

Mouthfeel is almost creamy but this beer could benefit from a pinch more carbonation. Pretty drinkable considering it's ABV, but alcohol was noticeable as it warmed. Nice collaboration.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

The beer pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a small tan head on top. The foam dissolves quickly to a ring around the surface leaving behind a few spots of lace on the glass.

The aroma is not typical for any beer I've experienced. Black coffee, roasted malt, an earthy pistachio nuttiness and a hint of alcohol are present. I know macadamias are in this beer, but it smells like pistachio to me.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is very smooth on the palate with a very mild fizz on the tip of the tongue. The flavor is rich with notes of coffee, chocolate, nuts and coconut. The dark roasted coffee seems to dominate, but doesn't overpower the other flavors. It finishes sweet with a note of ripe fruit (grape? fig? something like that). Once gone the chocolate and coffee flavors linger on the palate.

This is an interesting beer to say the least. Very unique and full of flavor. I've only seen these types of beers brewed as homebrews. It's nice to see major brewers taking a chance with something different now and then.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours dark brown with about a half inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. Aroma is very nice, it smells like coffee, coconut, roasted malt, chocolate and some nuts. The taste is the same as the aroma, with a great mix between the sweet and bitter flavors (although I do think the bitter flavors are stronger than the sweet ones). There's also a slight lingering bitter coffee finish. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's thicker than most porters, not that I'm complaining! It's rich and coating, and has above average carbonation. Drinkability is pretty good, but it would be hard to drink more than a couple bottles of this at a time. The alcohol isn't noticable in the taste, although it does hit you after a while. I think this is a good overall brew, if you get a chance you should definitely try this one.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Thanks to Evan1023 for hooking me up with 2 bottles of this in a larger trade.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a fancy ale glass

Pours a deep brown with a distinct lack of head and bubble rising to the top of the glass. I know about the difficulties of brewing with nut and head formation and retention so while I was expecting the result I will still detract a little in points.

The aroma is hit you in the face black coffee; rich and bitter and inviting a taste.

The overwhelming taste is of a rich black coffee, once that fads away the coconut and macadamia nuts can be found. They pair and blend nicely but I was hoping for a little more umpf from the coconut and macadamia nut and a little less coffee. I mean many breweries make a coffee porter or stout but this is the only one with coconut and macadamia nuts! Show those bitches off! With that said I still love the taste and think it is one of the better coffee brews I have had.

Mouthfeel is pretty slick and smooth and I'm attributing that to the oils in the nuts used. The 8.5% ABV is well hidden and any alcohol taste is masked by the bitterness of the coffee making this beer very drinkable and enjoyable.

I'm really glad I got to try this one and am really happy I got two bottles so I can lay one down for a year and see how the flavors change. I have a feeling the bitterness from the coffee will die down as it does in my homebrewed coffee stout and turn into something even better.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

Received this brew from the main man from Florida Mr. tpd975 himself. This beer just sounds amazing and I'm freaking pumped to try this. Drank from my Surly Darkness snifter.

Appearance- Pours a midnight black with a fairly decent one finger dark tanned head that recedes fairly slowly. No cap remains but a thin collar does live on but unfortunately leaves zero lacing.
Smell- Very potent and so inviting it's just chocked full of roasted malts and roasted beans. The coffee is noticeable although not overwhelming and the toasted nuts are a plenty. Think something between toasted pecans and hazelnut. Not necessarily a coconut or macadamia nut smell but there all the same anyways right? Some chocolaty malt and caramel mix in the nose as well.
Taste- Starts out with a huge burst of bold rich coffee. It's very earthy and intense and I almost can't imagine drinking this coffee straight up. I'd be caffeine buzzed for weeks. Some alcohol and chocolate in the middle but nothing too crazy. The beer is dominated by the coffee and honestly I get zero coconut or macadamia nut until well into the finish. Once the alcohol warmth and coffee fade away a light woody nuttiness is present.
Mouthfeel- Medium to heavy body with some fairly aggressive carbonation for a sharp crisp feel.
Drinkability- Not bad. I was hoping for a bit more of the nutty flavors that come through so well in the nose but the coffee pretty much put those to rest. Don't get me wrong, coffee beers are about my favorites, I just was hoping for some coconut. Either way, great beer. Thanks Greg!

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

A welcome gift from my good friend brewtull.

Pretty dull on the pour (into a shaker pint). Head vanishes and leaves a lifeless ale. There is carbonation, just a few bubbles and nothing else to show for it. Maybe lipids from the mac nuts or coconut?

Amazing aroma, full of those toasty coconuts and mac nuts, plus the usual porter chocolate and hop notes. Maybe coffee, but it certainly isn't screaming at me like I thought it would.

Silky, creamy, nutty, toasty, chocolatey, hoppy goodness. It's really tasty. That coffee makes a real entrance here, it's got that spicy, thin mouthfeel type-coffee vibe.

The thing that's really bringing it down is the high gravity. Were it not so thick I could pound these all night. Bring this back to 6% abv and it would be a TKO. Just saying.

Cheers!

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Big thanks to 6daysbottomocean, bottle poured gently with little to no head. Dark, barely translucent brown with a couple bubbles left around the edges.
S- The name doesn't lie. There is a hint of coconut, a little coffee, and the rich smell of macadamia and dark malts. It really took me by surprise, I expected the coffee to dominate.
T- Very similar to the smell. Lots of rich nuttiness, some coconut, and bitterness provided by the coffee. Not a big hop presence, but it doesnt detract from the beer at all. The 8.5% abv is very well hidden. Overall, the flavors are very balanced.
M- Pretty thick for a porter, this one coats but isn't overpowering, carbonation is spot on. This is exactly what I expect from a higher abv dark beer. This beer has more body then some imperial stouts.
D- I have to say I am not a huge fan of porters but I could drink this all day. The best of the Stone collaborations that I have had so far, seek this out if you can.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

A - coal mine at midnight black, with a finger of bubbly dark tan head

S - smell is rich with sweet coffee, there is also some hard to place sweetness that since i know what im drinking i can identify as coconut at macadamias, without that knowledge i wouldnt pick out the coconut as coconut, and the macadamia would just be a nutty aroma

T - the coffee sweetens up even more, the coffee is distinctly Kona, the coconut strengthens as well, i like to think i would be able to identify it at this point, but the nuttiness would just be nuttiness, however delectable it is

M&D - an easy down porter, with an effervescent mouthfeel, nice flavor layering that is quite a palate challenge, glad this finally came to my area. these Stone Collabs are quite a collections

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Deep brown with a nice looking head of mocha that fades quickly leaving little lace and a thin topper.

I can get a sense of the macadamia's in the nose with a big chocolatey character and a slight roast. A hint of stale coconut leads into spent coffee grain and dark fruits.

Nice beer. Good complexity but a bitey acidity from the coffee that leaves an odd finish. Thick glyceryl before hand however with coffee, coconut, dark chocolates, macadamias and roasted goodness. One for the cellar.

4.64/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured into a dimpled English pub mug.

Dark chocolate in color with a nice one inch thick tan head. Ample lace with tight creamy bubble formation.

Smells of toasted nuts; aroasted almond quality. Coffee is huge in my nose along with some sweet maltiness.

Taste is dynamic and complex blend of rasted coffee, nuts, fig and coconut almond cluster cookie. Very satisfying shape shifting as it warms; even more blended flavors.

Very dangerously drinkable but look out this stuf will kick your ass.

Cheers!

4.55/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a DT tulip. Extra special thanks to Ineedabeerhere and errantnight for each sending me this in our recent trades!

A: Pours a dark brown/black french press coffee color with a one finger cap of mocha colored foam on top. The head has an amazingly silky texture and it some healthy rings around the inside of the glass.

S: Freshly roasted coffee dominates the nose when cold. However, as it warms, supporting aromas of dark chocolate, blackened malt, macadamia nuts, cherry, and toasted coconut each step out and take the spotlight.

T: Once again, coffee rules when this is right out of the fridge. And like above, all of the other sweet, semi-sweet, and savory flavors begin to creep out when it warms, gradually eclipsing the early domination of the coffee. Awesome!

M: Smooth and creamy with just a hint of dry bitterness. Lingering finish that lays out a bead of deliciousness across my tongue.

D: Damn! What a surprise. I love a well done coffee beer, but a well done coffee, macadamia nut, toasted coconut beer? Please!

4.72/5  rDev +14.8%

This one is quickly becoming a fave of mine.

A: Very dark color with mocha colored head

S: This smells fantastic! You can definitely smell the coffee aroma emiting out of the glass. No strong scent of coconut.

T: Very tasty. You are instintantly hit with the coffee flavor, though not overbearing. I've tried some coffee porters that tasted like chewing on a coffee bean, not for me. This one however, has the perfect amount of coffee flavor. Very faint on the coconut flavor. Didn't really notice the coconut on the first try. The macadamia nut flavoring makes this taste so smooth.

M: You gotta try it, that's all I can say.

D: This one is very easy to drink. Drink it slowly and let it warm up a little in your cup. Makes for a mighty tasty beer. Goes down smooth.

All in all this is in my top favorites. Was supposed to be in short supply, but it keeps popping up in stores around MA. Glad, because I need more!

A: black as night with a mocha colored head.

S: the bouquet is hardy with heavy notes of chocolate, caramel, and coffee.

T: sweet malt in the forefront followed by a mixture of macadamia and chocolate. Finishes with a gentle coffee presence that lingers between sips.

M: full bodied with a slight gritty texture and slight carbonation.

D: I was surprised not only by the fact that the macadamia pulled through, but that it hit the palette at the same time as the chocolate did, giving the impression that you were eating a cookie. This brew is outstanding and is worth seeking out.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

I got to try this earlier thanks to Joe (Ineedabeerhere) and Shane(HopHead84), and now, thanks to the very kind John and Chris, I have bottles to contemplate in their entirety while listening to Ensiferum's From Afar

The pour is black, with a dense brown head with excellent retention and some lace. Reddish brown highlights are apparent as well.

A great coffee character kicks things off, with a clean, medium roast character with low bitterness and a bright acidity. Coconut is present in quite a copious amount as well, and the intoxicating macadamia nut character brings to mind something I never thought I'd smell in a beer. Back home in India, at one of my friend's place, I'd occasionally have lunch where one of the featured items on the menu was dried red chili peppers soaked in yogurt for a while and deep fried in coconut oil. Not spicy in the least, I'm quite amazed by the semblance. That said - this beer delivers on all fronts - a great coffee character, a ton of coconut and a distinct nuttiness, all beautifully balanced. The base porter, while great with a mild bitterness and roast character, with some cocoa, isn't obtrusive in the least. Thoroughly enjoyable, it's definitely the best Stone collaboration beer that I've had yet.

Opening up with plenty of coffee, the other adjuncts added do affect the way I perceive the coffee, it seems medium-light in roast with a mild citrus character and a touch of refreshing acidity. Soon, though, the coconut really does take over, and I have to admit that I haven't tasted such a coconuty beer ever. Thoroughly natural, it is rich and deep with a great coconut meat flavor as well as a distinct coconut oil character. I can't say that I get huge macadamia nut character, it's not as noticeable as on the nose. That said, it's still present, noticeable, with the characteristic nutty sweetness of macadamias. Astringency is low, but that's not surprising given the character of the nut. All told, this is one beer where I welcome the novelty of the adjuncts overwhelming the relative simplicity of the base beer. While ample, I think the brewers made a good decision by keeping it simple - moderate chocolate, low bitterness, moderate roast, low hop character - and allowing their vision of what a balanced coffee-coconut-macadamia nut beer should taste like come through.

On the heavier side of light with moderate carbonation, this is great stuff. The finish is quite exceptional, really, with beautifully balanced coffee and coconut with just a touch of macadamia nut, and just enough bitterness to balance out the flavor of the fleshy coconut. I'm absolutely enjoying this bottle, and I have to ask myself - what if this beer met a bourbon barrel?

3.52/5  rDev -14.4%

Picturesque pour into snifter...perfect dark brown with a finger of cappucino head. Head rather quickly dissipates. Big aroma of freshly ground coffee. And as expected, big coffee on the nose. Huge actually, leaving some bitterness to be had. Some nutty taste there, but again drowned out by the coffee. Reading the label now, I guess this is why- Kona. Very big & bold...this coming from a coffee fan. Bitter, with some vanilla thrown in I guess. Getting no coconut sweetness, because the Kona is standing in the way. Difficult to enjoy all 12 ounces.

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a black with a small brown head, and a little lacing.

smell is of malt, cocoa, a little coffee, and some butter.

taste is dry, coffee, come cocoa, and roasted nuts, ends a little creamy, and somewhat bitter.

overall pretty good but not as good as the rating suggest.

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

12oz bottle poured in a snifter.

Pours a dark black with a small but creamy dark brown head, i gave it a really aggressive pour and even still it's a small head but it's sticking around. Nose is really bitter coffee. Malty notes round it off.

WOW! This is one smooth, clean beer! Not overpowering with coffee at all. It's got a light sharp carbonation that's really nice. Mouthfeel and body are a bit light but perfect for this. There are some light macadamia notes that come out as you drink it more. I'm really impressed with this beer, totally worth the slightly higer price.

3.68/5  rDev -10.5%

Of all the Stone collaberation brews, this is the one that I have been most interested in. I have tried all of them except the Black Pilsner, and have yet to be impressed. A coconut porter brewed with macadamia nuts sounds like a can't miss. Here is my review:

A: Pours a dark brownish black. Not stout black, but still very dark. Head dissipates rather quickly.

S/T: The first thing I smelled in the aroma was a strong nutty aroma, almost like Rogue's Hazelnut Nectar. Coffee is also present, but not as intense as I expected. Taste is good, but just doesn't live up to expectations. Coffee is the most dominant flavor. Its a nice, dark roasted coffee flavor, but not as flavorful as say Beer Geek Breakfast or Founders Breakfast Stout. I don't get a whole lot of chocolate, but it is there. There is a strong nuttyness, but I wouldn't call it coconut. Maybe it is the macadamia? I feel this could have been a lot more.

M/D: Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Not as thick as an Imperial Stout, but pretty close. Drinks rather easily. Would probably be a good breakfast beer.

This is much better than the Tripel and Holiday Spice beer, but still nothing to write home about. Plus, at $7.00 a bottle, there are better options out there. Where is the coconut? Nothing really sets this apart from the pack. Worth a try, but don't expect what is advertised.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a silky black with a quarter inch of head. Lacing is a beautiful dark brown.

Smells of intense coffee. Much akin to my morning cup of coffee, only colder. Hints of milk chocolate sweetness (creamer) are present as well.

Exceptionally thin, smooth mouthfeel. Feels of velvety chocolate, tastes of coffee with kiss of bitterness at the end. Roasted notes are evident along with a alcohol warming sensation. Some sweet molasses comes through at the end. Low carbonation, definitely a dessert beer.

Overall, alcohol lowers drinkability slightly. I probably wouldn't have noticed the coconut and macadamias had I not been trying to look for those flavors. Nevertheless, a nice beer to pair with a tart dessert.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Second time I've had this and I'm liking it a lot more than the first. Pours very dark brown with a perfect inch of tan head. Smells delicious - creamy coffee, coconut, and cocoa. Honestly, I don't even know what the hell a macadamia nut tastes or smells like, so I couldn't tell you if that's in here too. I take their word for it. Tastes of coffee, coconut, cocoa, vanilla, and sweet cream. Body is fairly thick, creamy, and well carbonated. Spot on. This is damn guzzleable.

Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee Macadamia Coconut Porter from Stone Brewing