Stone 6th Anniversary Porter | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by hyuga on 09-02-2002

4.69/5  rDev +9.3%

6th Anniversary Porter, Aug. 2002 - Sampled at just over 4 Years Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 7th, 8th and 9th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the next few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: The silvery blue bottle design put me in mind of the Imperial Russian Stout, so what better glass to use than my IRS goblet. Black body on the desk but when held to a powerful desk lamp at night it revealed a rich deep mahogany body with deep chestnut with ruby hues and gemstone clarity. The head rises on the viscous pour. The carbonation is still here, producing a leathered tan head that tends to fade quickly but leaves a broken covering and a bubbled halo. Conditioning is very good and a gentle swirl soon reinstates a decent cap.

Nose: I recall past examples of the 6th always had an excellent nose, but after 4 years it is exemplary. Rich aromas, dark roasted coffee and darker chocolates mix with an aged Sherry and Port like alcoholic whiff that backs the complex nose. Some dark brandy soaked fruits add yet more depth. Crisp, peat laden smoked malts are still here and never seem to fade.

Taste: The bitterness has developed in the 6th, but it seamlessly merges with smoked malts, peat, dark fruits and a dry charcoal finish. Cinders punctuate the dark roasted coffee whilst a satisfying complex smokiness relaxes.

Mouthfeel: Thick feel with a rich consistency. Smooth conditioning. Like a black hole the depth in this is endless.

Drinkability: Effortless. A rich satisfying yet complex brew which is a classic late night sipper. Sadly it has a rather annoying quaffability, I know I should savor this one, but I just can’t stop sinking this one.

Overall: Definitely my favorite of the Stone Anniversaries, even considering the much vaunted 5th IPA, sadly that one faded rather too quickly. The 6th Porter was, and still is, the one to beat for my money. And right now, it is still developing nicely though probably close to reaching a peak. Even so, with care, this could easily go another year with little effort I feel. A real Gem!!

4.62/5  rDev +7.7%

I found the 6th Anniversary Porter at a small liquor store. Thinking, "Wow, I bet there aren't many of those left around here", I quickly snatched it up. Boy, was that a good idea!

It poured out of the 22oz bomber looking almost jet black except for the ruby-tinged edge that allowed in the faintest amount of light. A small yet persistent mottled tan head perched on top.

The smell was a nose-grabbing blend of strong espresso-like coffee, hints of dark chocolate, plums, prunes and other dark fruits, and a mild hops aroma. Also lurking in the background was a faint sweet alcohol smell.

Taste was magnificant. A huge shot of roasted coffee flavor which reminded me of some of the best coffee I've ever had (a Kenyan/Ethiopian blend), a sweet prunish taste asserted itself next, followed by the suggestion of bakers chocolate bitterness. A soothing warmth issued forth as the alcohol hit home.

Feel was full-bodied, with a velvety smoothness. The smallest sip fills your mouth.

A very satisfying beer. Only the alcohol content slows down the drinkability of this Stone creation. Even then, I just had a tough time pacing myself. A great follow-up to Stone's superb Smoked Porter. Get them if you can find them.

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

My introduction to stone(courtesy of fellow BA Hyuga, cheers m8!). Where do I begin? Well let's just say that I have been looking forward to trying Stone brewings products for some time now(pretty much since I joined this site almost 3 months ago:-)and I had very high expectations for this brew, which was my first stone brew. Let's just say I was not dissapointed at all and I look forward to trying EVERY other brew that this brewery makes(that I can get my hands on:-) Anyway, this brew pours a deep, dark, darker than guinness, you are-not-worthy, storm-king like black that I was not expecting in a porter. This smelled wonderfully like dark chocolate malts, bittering hops, smoked and roasted barleys, and many other things. The nose, kind of reminded me of an aged bottle of storm king, or brooklyn black chocolate stout, but it also reminded me of Adam, or Skullsplitter as well, so I was a bit worried. This tasted wonderful! Like a combination platter of all of the above. It had some of those funky adam-like, old ale flavors, but this time around they did not bother me at all. Maybe it is the blending that stone used for this beer, but to me this is an almost perfect offering. This had the notes, profiles, and flavor aspects of an IPA, a Porter, a Stout, and an old world ale. How do they do it! This also had a T.H.I.C.K., smooth and heavy mouthfeel that is perfect for warming you up on a cold winters day! The drinkability factor for this is lowered a little bit because of it's thickness and fullness, but this is a wonderful beer.
BA is a great place to be
Cheers!
F.

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

An impressive appearance... the very deep brown - almost black - body shows only a thin edge of clear mahogany at the base, and the creamy tan head holds exceptionally well and leaves solid sheets of lace throughout most of the glass. The nose expresses a distinctly smokey roastiness with a touch of fruitiness, citrusy hops, and a noticeable alcoholic strength. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The flavor is surprisingly complex with notes of bittersweet chocolate, peat-smoked malt, bold citrus hops (lemon, mild pineapple), caramelized sugars, alcohol, and black coffee. A dense bitterness anchors it and it finishes astonishingly long and quite dry with a deep roastiness, some peat-smoke, mild but bright citrusy fruit, pine, and a touch of soft chocolate. It's quite the massive beer with great strength and impressive complexity. A beer of Promethian proportions! A 'must try' for hop heads, smoked beer, or porter fans!

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

An absolutely superb beer that I was lucky enough to have on tap at the Taphouse in Bellevue. The first thing I noticed was that absolutely inviting appearance of the beer which was jet black with a nice thick dark brown head. Hoppy and roasted smells rose from the glass. Upon the first sip, I knew I was in for a treat. The beer is a very big porter... lots going on here with complexity out the wazzoo. Bitterness is very noticeable but not heavy enough to drown out the malts. Malt flavors range form caramel to chocolate and roasted coffee to a smoky feel. The brew just fill your mouth with flavors and I wanted to keep drinking more to discover all the other hidden flavors. This beer has so much going on it truly is amazing. Cheers out to Stone for another quality brew.

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

I was lucky enough to find a bottle of this on ebay.com It was bottled in August of 2002 so it had already aged for a little over a year. This was extreamly tasty! Unfortunately, I made the mistake of having a Double Bastard right before I had this beer so I think my palate was somewhat shocked and numb.

This beer poured pitch black with a nice tan head that melted quickly into the liquid. Some small traces of lacing but a little too slippery....damn.

The aroma was intense. Huge chocolate hits the nose. Some smoke as well and a little bit of alcohol. Maybe some dark fruits in there as well. Nice...

This was one HUGE porter. The hops definately died down from the aging. This was the first tasting but it just seemed like the hops were not well pronounced but well hidden and balanced. Nice. Huge coffee flavor with some suddle chocolate and dark fruits. Alcohol was well hidden but still apparent. Very smooth and drinkable with a fantastic mouthfeel.

Sad that I only had one bottle. This was very very good!

4.56/5  rDev +6.3%

Dark black color, medium off white head. A BIG full-bodied porter, almost chewy. Roasted malts, chocolaty. Big chewy hoppiness. WOW whatta porter. Stone is usually over the top with their beers (this is NOT a bad thing) and this beer is no exception. Big and bold flavor with a very pronounced hop bite, yet it has a very smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. No alcohol bite, despite an 8.1% ABV. Etched beer bottle. Look very classy.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Appears a dark brown in the glass with a small tan head that left a couple of rings of lace around the glass. Roasted malts, some smokiness and a bit of chocolate covered dark fruits make up most of the aroma. Some alcohol is noticeable as well. The flavor also has a big roasty/smoky component over a nice dark chocolate. This is quite bitter and the hops are still alive in the flavor. Fruit notes are in the background. Very tasty. Good solid mouthfeel with a creamy fairly thick body. Easy drinking stuff for me as well. I would love to have a few bottles of this too bad I missed getting any when it came out. This held up fantastically over the last few years. Highly recommended. Thanks Ben.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Opened up a few of my treasures this week: this was high on the list. Gorgeous bottle, though I won't be grading that.

Pours a dark brown, with ruby highlights. Really attractive. The nose is exemplary. Roasted fruits, some coffee and chocolate, and a whiff of malts.

Still a fine tasting brew, it's clear that this may be a bit past its peak (the flavors, while still strong, have gone just a tad flat ... which makes me wonder how amazing this beer must have been a year or two ago). Roasted dark fruits, chocolate, and roasted coffee. One of the stronger flavored, and best tasting, porters I've ever had. Can't think of a better one off the top of my head, actually.

Could, and would, drink this every week. Sadly, it is now but a memory.

4.44/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

In many respects this is the most quintessential porter you could imagine. A veritable archetype for the genre, capable of defining the standard. It is black with a slight suggestion of black cherry color. Has a gentle tan head that lasts and a graceful, relaxed mouthfeel. The fragrance is somewhere between molasses and a good campfire.

The taste itself is so elegant and profound, I'm not going to waste language on it. All the usual adjectives sound cliche here except for the "bread-like" descriptive which applies.

This beer doesn't leap out at you and get in your face. It just sits there and commands an audience. Like a king. My only complaint is that you'll need a time machine to return to 2002 and get some more.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Five plus years old and still holding strong!

A-Dark brown color with a thick tan head. Reduced nicely into generous lacing.

S-Smokey roasted malt with a nice hop presence.

T-Great smokey malt flavour with a generous hop kick to let you know that this is a Stone product! This is some very tasty stuff.

M-Medium heavy body with an amazing smoothness.

D-I really was impressed with how this beer held up after 5+ years. A great smoked porter that I wish I could get more of!

4.42/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.41/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber. The color is dark brown, with a bubbly beige head. The smell is very chocolatey. The taste is a nice chocolate and anise, with a nice bitterness in the aftertaste, and the alcohol isn't noticable. Mouthfeel is nice and thick. Drinkability-wise, could have a few.

Thank you to HiroProtagonist for this trade...I never thought I was going to get my hands on a 6th Anniversary Porter. Fortunately, I was wrong! An enjoyable beer, and hopefully Greg will bring this one out again in the future.

Stone 6th Anniversary Porter from Stone Brewing