Stone 6th Anniversary Porter | Stone Brewing

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by hyuga on 09-02-2002

Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 125
3.82/5  rDev -11%

On tap at Lucky Baldwins in Pasadena, CA.

Pours a clear dark brown with a foamy khaki head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and caramel. Taste is much the same with a mild roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and has held up well for being so old.

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%

Didn't expect to enjoy this one as much as I did. Tried this from a couple of different peoples bottles at winter storm on sunday. The beer was black and no light shone through. Not sure if the beer was just hazy or if it was supposed to be that dark, can't tell with aged beers. There was a tiny bit of foam but it was relaitvely uncarbonated. The foam that did appear was tan in color and thin.

The smell was very sweet for a porter. There was some nice dark fruits going on as well as plenty of roasted malts. For once the coffee smell didn't bother me as this one was balanced by the fruitiness as well as the sweetness. The flavor was real nice as well but it was a bit more aged (possibly past its peak) than the aroma. I found this kind of interesting. It was basically a milder version of the aroma. After each tasting the flavor grew on me more.

This is a very drinkable beer but I would recomend doing so over the next year or two as theres no telling what it's going to be like in a couple years.

4.58/5  rDev +6.8%

An impressive appearance... the very deep brown - almost black - body shows only a thin edge of clear mahogany at the base, and the creamy tan head holds exceptionally well and leaves solid sheets of lace throughout most of the glass. The nose expresses a distinctly smokey roastiness with a touch of fruitiness, citrusy hops, and a noticeable alcoholic strength. The mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The flavor is surprisingly complex with notes of bittersweet chocolate, peat-smoked malt, bold citrus hops (lemon, mild pineapple), caramelized sugars, alcohol, and black coffee. A dense bitterness anchors it and it finishes astonishingly long and quite dry with a deep roastiness, some peat-smoke, mild but bright citrusy fruit, pine, and a touch of soft chocolate. It's quite the massive beer with great strength and impressive complexity. A beer of Promethian proportions! A 'must try' for hop heads, smoked beer, or porter fans!

3.54/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours an effervescent mahogany, with a sliver of mocha colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, roasty, some dark cherry

T: Follows the nose, a little char as well, plus dryness. Roasty, smokey & dryness; astringent, some Baker's chocolate as well, woody hops as well, once warm. Finishes woody, smokey, dry & just a whisper of coffee

MF: Light/medium body, firm carbonation, smooths out as this warms

Wanted to like this more, to many detractors in this one to rate this any higher, worth a try for sure

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle shared by brother Murray.

Dark chestnut body with hints of crimson. Sticky tan lacing coats the glass. Aromas of baker's chocolate, earth, pine, resinous hops. Cocoa powder finishing with pine and bitter hops. Tasty.

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Dark almost black, deep ruby brown tone with a nice sized tan moccha head leaves copious amounts of lacing around my Stone Imperial Russian Stout glass. Aroma: Toasted malts are good haven't had a nice strong Baltic porter in awhile, floral notes sit on top from some gentle hop dosages and nice fruit layer is in their to alcohol is barely evident blends together with the rest of the beer very well. Taste: I don't think Stone knows how to brew a bad beer, this has survived since August of 2002 without a problem dark chocolate soft fruit esters and alcohol are infused into a beautiful combonation of pure tastiness. Excellent beer that I'm sure will be re-released in the future, it's too solid to keep in the vault. Mouthfeel: Full to mediumb bodied porter with a nice smooth carbonation. Drinkability: I can't believe this beer is this drinkable finishes a bit dry with a dark chocolate alcohol tone but it's so nice keeps you wanting another sip to re-wet the palate, nice.

4.73/5  rDev +10.3%

I'd been hoping to hang on to this bottle for a bit, but for some reason, it just felt right to crack this out tonight. Maybe I just needed an extra excuse for happiness...
Pours out a deep, dark black, utterly impenetrable, with only the slightest cracks seeping out slight ruby reddishness, with a big, blooming, luscious tan head.
Aroma: ah! there's that smokey factor, big, but not too, with cocoa and mocha character as well, very smooth, never a bit bitter at all.
Taste: repeats the aroma, smokey character is there, all the way, as well as porter-y qualities in abundant, but not overwhelming supply. Richly roasted, fully flavored, immense in body, very mellow and groovy, with the smoke sitting relaxedly, yet firmly in charge and on top of the palate. As we continue, it settles back, this smokiness, it hangs on the back porch, still wafting it's effect, but never harshly. After 16 months since the bottling this must be just the height of perfection. There can't be a thing wrong with this. Fullness, no harshness, yet with a unique flavor that never sticks you wrongly.
Yum.
Have I said that yet?
Yum, and I'll say it again, yum-my.
I'm just gonna sit back and luxuriate in this one.
Oh, nice, nicety, niceness!
Large-sized thanks to Mr. LongBeachBum for delivering this magnificent ale into my possession!

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%

Sampled Sep 12, 2003
This is a pitch black beer with notes of deep brown. It pours with a dark brown head which is dense, creamy and pretty persistent. The aroma is one of malt, roasted malt with a bit of smoke and perhaps a hint of alcohol in the nose. There is a nice thick mouthfeel to this one, and it gently coats your entire mouth. The finish has a hint of alcohol. There is lots of smoky malt flavor in this beer as well. The roasted notes remind me of coffee. A bit of sweetness becomes evident as it warms up. This beer feels thick, almost oily on my tongue, the smoke only reinforces this perception. This 22 oz bottle is a meal unto itself. Overall a fairly solid beer, I like it.

3.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a black body with two-finger khaki head that slowly died. Aroma is mostly roasted malts with hints of bitter chocolate and coffee. Heavy bodied, slightly dry, the beer has a roasted malt, almost toasted, and grainy, slightly bitter hop body with bits of coffee, dark fruits, chocolate and vanilla mixed in with a dry finish.

4.05/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to SawDog555 for this bottle!

A - Pitch black pour with a massively thick, creamy, sticky, toffee colored lacing.

S - Chocolate mocha.

T - Chocolate all the way through with an extremely bitter pine finish.

M - Nice big medium body with a creamy finish.

O - This beer defies the style. But I'm enjoying it.

4.92/5  rDev +14.7%

Clear dark ruby red. Small creamy brown head that recedes very gradually. Lacing is intricate and web-like. Beautiful deep roasted malt tones on the nose. They are speckled with a light smokiness (that I assume was a bit heavier a year ago). Hop aromas seem to have that "West Coast" feel to them....pungent, citric....piney. The taste is marvelous as well. WOW! This is smooth and tasty. The roasted malt profile lays down a very sturdy foundation. Overatures of chocolate and dry cocoa are HUGE. The lingering bitterness is quite appealing. The smokiness is a little meaty, but quite delicate at this stage of the game. Hop bitterness and roasted bitterness blend to perfection. The mouthfeel is silky smooth. Body seems to check in at about medium. Man this is good. What I could do with a keg of this liquid gold.

LongBeachBum, you've done it again. You are the man! Thanks for sparing one of your last ones.

This was the beer I chose to be my 5000th beer sampled lifetime, and I dedicate it to all the truly great “Beer Persons” on this site. Please excuse the sentimentality, but it is the way I feel about “Beer” and the “Beer Drinking Community” both here at “Beer Advocate” and at “Ratebeer” the other home of great beer and great beer drinkers. It is basically the way I wrote it on August 30, 2002, but updated to reflect my new style of reviewing.

If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carol’s "Through the Looking Glass", "The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings." Since I sampled my first sip of "Beer" some 50 plus years ago, as a "Wee Lad At My Daddy's Knee" and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. "Live each day as if it will be you’re last"; Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children. "Love them, nourish them, be with them", as one day you wake up and realize that "Life" has moved on" and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I'd like to thank the “Arrogant Bastard” himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that's going into my new cabinet.

The Beer pours that magnificent deep brown to black that I rave about, the head prodigious in size, creamy in its texture, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. The aromas of toasted grain, coffee, lightly hop floral and sweet, a real treat to the senses. Front is ambrosial, the top thick and full in its feel, the finish is modestly acidic, devastatingly hopped dry chocolate malt and alcohol bitter aftertaste. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high ABV can't ask for more than this.

4.18/5  rDev -2.6%

This is one hell of a beer...pours black with ruby highlights...nice 1/4 inch light brown head...very nice peaty maltiness on the nose...mouthfeel is full. and creamy....hops bite you harder on the taste than on the nose...a nice dark cocoa/java flavor complemented by a subtle pea smokiness....starts on the maltiner side in the mouth but finishes dry and bitter..

Top notch effort here....but a bit tto much of a hop bite for a porter in my opinion...

A big thanks to the Bum (Long Beach style) for sending this to Hugey for me to try.

4.33/5  rDev +0.9%

This was a pleasant surprise on a $28 round-trip cab ride from the Anaheim Mariott to the Hollingshead Deli 4.5 miles away. This is another classic from Stone. Thoroughly black with a nice ruby halo and a medium beige head. Aroma is not as smoky as I remember the Smoked Porter being, it is definitely more subdued. Warm flavor of chocolate, licorice and black cherry. Finish is as smooth aa suede. Great stuff!

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance – Nice, dark brown color with a big, tan, foaming head that went down slowly and laced the hell out of my Ruination glass.

Smell – Big, giant, smokey roasted malt aroma with a huge hop balance. The dark cherry and tobacco come out as well, along with a bit of overripe apricot and a lot of brown sugar.

Taste – The smoke flavor here is awesome. It’s like eating a nicely-roasted steak. Behind that, the huge fruits and big malt flavors give this the classic Porter taste. I can also pick up some fine espresso beans and bitter coffee notes. This one has it all, and it all is done up just right.

Mouthfeel – The smoothness of this ale is incredible. This is full-bodied for sure, but extremely creamy. It’s amazing.

Drinkability – I like the Stone Smoked Porter, but it’s kind of heavy on the smoke. When I drink this ale, which I rated a 4.5 overall, I find myself wishing for a little less smoke and more fruit. The 6th Anniversary is it – big, giant fruit, smoked but not overly so, and creamy smooth to the point that it’s almost impossible to stop sucking down. This is unbelievable.

Comments – I chose this as my 600th review because I knew that it would be special. This is easily one of the best bottles that I have opened to date. A huge, BA thanks to francisweizen for hooking me up with this exceptional ale. BA Buds are the best!

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

My introduction to stone(courtesy of fellow BA Hyuga, cheers m8!). Where do I begin? Well let's just say that I have been looking forward to trying Stone brewings products for some time now(pretty much since I joined this site almost 3 months ago:-)and I had very high expectations for this brew, which was my first stone brew. Let's just say I was not dissapointed at all and I look forward to trying EVERY other brew that this brewery makes(that I can get my hands on:-) Anyway, this brew pours a deep, dark, darker than guinness, you are-not-worthy, storm-king like black that I was not expecting in a porter. This smelled wonderfully like dark chocolate malts, bittering hops, smoked and roasted barleys, and many other things. The nose, kind of reminded me of an aged bottle of storm king, or brooklyn black chocolate stout, but it also reminded me of Adam, or Skullsplitter as well, so I was a bit worried. This tasted wonderful! Like a combination platter of all of the above. It had some of those funky adam-like, old ale flavors, but this time around they did not bother me at all. Maybe it is the blending that stone used for this beer, but to me this is an almost perfect offering. This had the notes, profiles, and flavor aspects of an IPA, a Porter, a Stout, and an old world ale. How do they do it! This also had a T.H.I.C.K., smooth and heavy mouthfeel that is perfect for warming you up on a cold winters day! The drinkability factor for this is lowered a little bit because of it's thickness and fullness, but this is a wonderful beer.
BA is a great place to be
Cheers!
F.

4.69/5  rDev +9.3%

6th Anniversary Porter, Aug. 2002 - Sampled at just over 4 Years Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 7th, 8th and 9th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the next few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: The silvery blue bottle design put me in mind of the Imperial Russian Stout, so what better glass to use than my IRS goblet. Black body on the desk but when held to a powerful desk lamp at night it revealed a rich deep mahogany body with deep chestnut with ruby hues and gemstone clarity. The head rises on the viscous pour. The carbonation is still here, producing a leathered tan head that tends to fade quickly but leaves a broken covering and a bubbled halo. Conditioning is very good and a gentle swirl soon reinstates a decent cap.

Nose: I recall past examples of the 6th always had an excellent nose, but after 4 years it is exemplary. Rich aromas, dark roasted coffee and darker chocolates mix with an aged Sherry and Port like alcoholic whiff that backs the complex nose. Some dark brandy soaked fruits add yet more depth. Crisp, peat laden smoked malts are still here and never seem to fade.

Taste: The bitterness has developed in the 6th, but it seamlessly merges with smoked malts, peat, dark fruits and a dry charcoal finish. Cinders punctuate the dark roasted coffee whilst a satisfying complex smokiness relaxes.

Mouthfeel: Thick feel with a rich consistency. Smooth conditioning. Like a black hole the depth in this is endless.

Drinkability: Effortless. A rich satisfying yet complex brew which is a classic late night sipper. Sadly it has a rather annoying quaffability, I know I should savor this one, but I just can’t stop sinking this one.

Overall: Definitely my favorite of the Stone Anniversaries, even considering the much vaunted 5th IPA, sadly that one faded rather too quickly. The 6th Porter was, and still is, the one to beat for my money. And right now, it is still developing nicely though probably close to reaching a peak. Even so, with care, this could easily go another year with little effort I feel. A real Gem!!

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

In many respects this is the most quintessential porter you could imagine. A veritable archetype for the genre, capable of defining the standard. It is black with a slight suggestion of black cherry color. Has a gentle tan head that lasts and a graceful, relaxed mouthfeel. The fragrance is somewhere between molasses and a good campfire.

The taste itself is so elegant and profound, I'm not going to waste language on it. All the usual adjectives sound cliche here except for the "bread-like" descriptive which applies.

This beer doesn't leap out at you and get in your face. It just sits there and commands an audience. Like a king. My only complaint is that you'll need a time machine to return to 2002 and get some more.

4.42/5  rDev +3%

Five plus years old and still holding strong!

A-Dark brown color with a thick tan head. Reduced nicely into generous lacing.

S-Smokey roasted malt with a nice hop presence.

T-Great smokey malt flavour with a generous hop kick to let you know that this is a Stone product! This is some very tasty stuff.

M-Medium heavy body with an amazing smoothness.

D-I really was impressed with how this beer held up after 5+ years. A great smoked porter that I wish I could get more of!

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

22 ounce bottle courtesy of Bill, thanks for the opportunity my friend, ordered this and Winter Storm a few years ago and was told the guy next to me bought the last one, also sold out at Stuffed Sandwich a while back, glad I get to try this, poured into my Port Brewing nonic, color is nearly black with barely a small amount of red around the edges, one inch tan creamy and foamy head that leaves great lacing, decent retention too, aroma consists of vanilla, milk chocolate, coffee creamer, roasted malts, burned toffee, burnt sugar, anda great oaky scent, starts off with different chocolate and roasted taste, more roasted malts in the middle along with some leather, some vanilla in the finish along with eathiness and some wood, pretty dry and works well with mild sweetness, lots of roasted malts and burned caramel later on, good amount of oak in the finish once it warms, cannot find anything wrong with the taste, drinks very easy and is simply complex, slightly sweet, dry, malty, oaky, and roasted mouthfeel, medium to full bodied, moderate level of carbonation, taste lingers pretty long for the style, drank this whole bottle without hesitation tonight, not even a little heavy on the stomach, only minor flaw is how dry and full of oak it is by the end, but it still goes down well and has great smoothness, my favorite of Stone's anniversary beers hands down, this has aged better than any porter I have ever had, hard to believe this is seven years old, stoked that I have another bottle to cellar for years to come, I hope Stone rebrews this someday as it is great beer, highly recommended

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to Skyhand for this bottle
Poured dark, depp red and brown with a dull light tan head that leaves some spots of lace on the pint.
Aroma is vinous, smkoy malt, roasted and some alcoholic tannins.
Flavor is strong smoky chocolate malt and some raisins with a resiny and gritty bittering. Excellent representation of style and great transitions of flavors.
Mouthfeel is sweet on the front end with a heavy roasted note and semi-floral and resined bitter note at the finish. Medium-bodied.
Drinkability is very solid. Well-blanced between chocloate and roasted notes with just the right of finish bittering. Stoen continues to amaze with their ability to produce such a broad array of beers that are all great.

4.56/5  rDev +6.3%

Dark black color, medium off white head. A BIG full-bodied porter, almost chewy. Roasted malts, chocolaty. Big chewy hoppiness. WOW whatta porter. Stone is usually over the top with their beers (this is NOT a bad thing) and this beer is no exception. Big and bold flavor with a very pronounced hop bite, yet it has a very smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly bitter. No alcohol bite, despite an 8.1% ABV. Etched beer bottle. Look very classy.

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 Oz bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a pitch black presentation with a tan colored head. The aroma was chocolate, malt and coffee. The taste was a smooth rendition of the aroma. An outstanding beer.

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Opened up a few of my treasures this week: this was high on the list. Gorgeous bottle, though I won't be grading that.

Pours a dark brown, with ruby highlights. Really attractive. The nose is exemplary. Roasted fruits, some coffee and chocolate, and a whiff of malts.

Still a fine tasting brew, it's clear that this may be a bit past its peak (the flavors, while still strong, have gone just a tad flat ... which makes me wonder how amazing this beer must have been a year or two ago). Roasted dark fruits, chocolate, and roasted coffee. One of the stronger flavored, and best tasting, porters I've ever had. Can't think of a better one off the top of my head, actually.

Could, and would, drink this every week. Sadly, it is now but a memory.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Taste and nose are nice roasted chocolate malts. Very highly roasted. A by of smokeyness. Finishes with a typical stone herbal bitterness. Great beer. Very easy drinking for the abv. Will be disappointed to see this go.

Stone 6th Anniversary Porter from Stone Brewing