Stone 6th Anniversary Porter | Stone Brewing

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by hyuga on 09-02-2002

4.12/5  rDev -2.1%

4.73/5  rDev +12.4%

I'd been hoping to hang on to this bottle for a bit, but for some reason, it just felt right to crack this out tonight. Maybe I just needed an extra excuse for happiness...
Pours out a deep, dark black, utterly impenetrable, with only the slightest cracks seeping out slight ruby reddishness, with a big, blooming, luscious tan head.
Aroma: ah! there's that smokey factor, big, but not too, with cocoa and mocha character as well, very smooth, never a bit bitter at all.
Taste: repeats the aroma, smokey character is there, all the way, as well as porter-y qualities in abundant, but not overwhelming supply. Richly roasted, fully flavored, immense in body, very mellow and groovy, with the smoke sitting relaxedly, yet firmly in charge and on top of the palate. As we continue, it settles back, this smokiness, it hangs on the back porch, still wafting it's effect, but never harshly. After 16 months since the bottling this must be just the height of perfection. There can't be a thing wrong with this. Fullness, no harshness, yet with a unique flavor that never sticks you wrongly.
Yum.
Have I said that yet?
Yum, and I'll say it again, yum-my.
I'm just gonna sit back and luxuriate in this one.
Oh, nice, nicety, niceness!
Large-sized thanks to Mr. LongBeachBum for delivering this magnificent ale into my possession!

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Many thanks to SawDog555 for this bottle!

A - Pitch black pour with a massively thick, creamy, sticky, toffee colored lacing.

S - Chocolate mocha.

T - Chocolate all the way through with an extremely bitter pine finish.

M - Nice big medium body with a creamy finish.

O - This beer defies the style. But I'm enjoying it.

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured a black body with two-finger khaki head that slowly died. Aroma is mostly roasted malts with hints of bitter chocolate and coffee. Heavy bodied, slightly dry, the beer has a roasted malt, almost toasted, and grainy, slightly bitter hop body with bits of coffee, dark fruits, chocolate and vanilla mixed in with a dry finish.

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Sampled Sep 12, 2003
This is a pitch black beer with notes of deep brown. It pours with a dark brown head which is dense, creamy and pretty persistent. The aroma is one of malt, roasted malt with a bit of smoke and perhaps a hint of alcohol in the nose. There is a nice thick mouthfeel to this one, and it gently coats your entire mouth. The finish has a hint of alcohol. There is lots of smoky malt flavor in this beer as well. The roasted notes remind me of coffee. A bit of sweetness becomes evident as it warms up. This beer feels thick, almost oily on my tongue, the smoke only reinforces this perception. This 22 oz bottle is a meal unto itself. Overall a fairly solid beer, I like it.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

4.44/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.92/5  rDev +16.9%

Clear dark ruby red. Small creamy brown head that recedes very gradually. Lacing is intricate and web-like. Beautiful deep roasted malt tones on the nose. They are speckled with a light smokiness (that I assume was a bit heavier a year ago). Hop aromas seem to have that "West Coast" feel to them....pungent, citric....piney. The taste is marvelous as well. WOW! This is smooth and tasty. The roasted malt profile lays down a very sturdy foundation. Overatures of chocolate and dry cocoa are HUGE. The lingering bitterness is quite appealing. The smokiness is a little meaty, but quite delicate at this stage of the game. Hop bitterness and roasted bitterness blend to perfection. The mouthfeel is silky smooth. Body seems to check in at about medium. Man this is good. What I could do with a keg of this liquid gold.

LongBeachBum, you've done it again. You are the man! Thanks for sparing one of your last ones.

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

This is one hell of a beer...pours black with ruby highlights...nice 1/4 inch light brown head...very nice peaty maltiness on the nose...mouthfeel is full. and creamy....hops bite you harder on the taste than on the nose...a nice dark cocoa/java flavor complemented by a subtle pea smokiness....starts on the maltiner side in the mouth but finishes dry and bitter..

Top notch effort here....but a bit tto much of a hop bite for a porter in my opinion...

A big thanks to the Bum (Long Beach style) for sending this to Hugey for me to try.

This was the beer I chose to be my 5000th beer sampled lifetime, and I dedicate it to all the truly great “Beer Persons” on this site. Please excuse the sentimentality, but it is the way I feel about “Beer” and the “Beer Drinking Community” both here at “Beer Advocate” and at “Ratebeer” the other home of great beer and great beer drinkers. It is basically the way I wrote it on August 30, 2002, but updated to reflect my new style of reviewing.

If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carol’s "Through the Looking Glass", "The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings." Since I sampled my first sip of "Beer" some 50 plus years ago, as a "Wee Lad At My Daddy's Knee" and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. "Live each day as if it will be you’re last"; Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children. "Love them, nourish them, be with them", as one day you wake up and realize that "Life" has moved on" and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I'd like to thank the “Arrogant Bastard” himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that's going into my new cabinet.

The Beer pours that magnificent deep brown to black that I rave about, the head prodigious in size, creamy in its texture, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. The aromas of toasted grain, coffee, lightly hop floral and sweet, a real treat to the senses. Front is ambrosial, the top thick and full in its feel, the finish is modestly acidic, devastatingly hopped dry chocolate malt and alcohol bitter aftertaste. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high ABV can't ask for more than this.

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

This was a pleasant surprise on a $28 round-trip cab ride from the Anaheim Mariott to the Hollingshead Deli 4.5 miles away. This is another classic from Stone. Thoroughly black with a nice ruby halo and a medium beige head. Aroma is not as smoky as I remember the Smoked Porter being, it is definitely more subdued. Warm flavor of chocolate, licorice and black cherry. Finish is as smooth aa suede. Great stuff!

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.77/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance – Nice, dark brown color with a big, tan, foaming head that went down slowly and laced the hell out of my Ruination glass.

Smell – Big, giant, smokey roasted malt aroma with a huge hop balance. The dark cherry and tobacco come out as well, along with a bit of overripe apricot and a lot of brown sugar.

Taste – The smoke flavor here is awesome. It’s like eating a nicely-roasted steak. Behind that, the huge fruits and big malt flavors give this the classic Porter taste. I can also pick up some fine espresso beans and bitter coffee notes. This one has it all, and it all is done up just right.

Mouthfeel – The smoothness of this ale is incredible. This is full-bodied for sure, but extremely creamy. It’s amazing.

Drinkability – I like the Stone Smoked Porter, but it’s kind of heavy on the smoke. When I drink this ale, which I rated a 4.5 overall, I find myself wishing for a little less smoke and more fruit. The 6th Anniversary is it – big, giant fruit, smoked but not overly so, and creamy smooth to the point that it’s almost impossible to stop sucking down. This is unbelievable.

Comments – I chose this as my 600th review because I knew that it would be special. This is easily one of the best bottles that I have opened to date. A huge, BA thanks to francisweizen for hooking me up with this exceptional ale. BA Buds are the best!

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%

My introduction to stone(courtesy of fellow BA Hyuga, cheers m8!). Where do I begin? Well let's just say that I have been looking forward to trying Stone brewings products for some time now(pretty much since I joined this site almost 3 months ago:-)and I had very high expectations for this brew, which was my first stone brew. Let's just say I was not dissapointed at all and I look forward to trying EVERY other brew that this brewery makes(that I can get my hands on:-) Anyway, this brew pours a deep, dark, darker than guinness, you are-not-worthy, storm-king like black that I was not expecting in a porter. This smelled wonderfully like dark chocolate malts, bittering hops, smoked and roasted barleys, and many other things. The nose, kind of reminded me of an aged bottle of storm king, or brooklyn black chocolate stout, but it also reminded me of Adam, or Skullsplitter as well, so I was a bit worried. This tasted wonderful! Like a combination platter of all of the above. It had some of those funky adam-like, old ale flavors, but this time around they did not bother me at all. Maybe it is the blending that stone used for this beer, but to me this is an almost perfect offering. This had the notes, profiles, and flavor aspects of an IPA, a Porter, a Stout, and an old world ale. How do they do it! This also had a T.H.I.C.K., smooth and heavy mouthfeel that is perfect for warming you up on a cold winters day! The drinkability factor for this is lowered a little bit because of it's thickness and fullness, but this is a wonderful beer.
BA is a great place to be
Cheers!
F.

4.69/5  rDev +11.4%

6th Anniversary Porter, Aug. 2002 - Sampled at just over 4 Years Old.

Served up in a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 7th, 8th and 9th past Anniversary Stone brews throughout the next few days, before I sample the latest 10th Anniversary Stone offering.

Appearance: The silvery blue bottle design put me in mind of the Imperial Russian Stout, so what better glass to use than my IRS goblet. Black body on the desk but when held to a powerful desk lamp at night it revealed a rich deep mahogany body with deep chestnut with ruby hues and gemstone clarity. The head rises on the viscous pour. The carbonation is still here, producing a leathered tan head that tends to fade quickly but leaves a broken covering and a bubbled halo. Conditioning is very good and a gentle swirl soon reinstates a decent cap.

Nose: I recall past examples of the 6th always had an excellent nose, but after 4 years it is exemplary. Rich aromas, dark roasted coffee and darker chocolates mix with an aged Sherry and Port like alcoholic whiff that backs the complex nose. Some dark brandy soaked fruits add yet more depth. Crisp, peat laden smoked malts are still here and never seem to fade.

Taste: The bitterness has developed in the 6th, but it seamlessly merges with smoked malts, peat, dark fruits and a dry charcoal finish. Cinders punctuate the dark roasted coffee whilst a satisfying complex smokiness relaxes.

Mouthfeel: Thick feel with a rich consistency. Smooth conditioning. Like a black hole the depth in this is endless.

Drinkability: Effortless. A rich satisfying yet complex brew which is a classic late night sipper. Sadly it has a rather annoying quaffability, I know I should savor this one, but I just can’t stop sinking this one.

Overall: Definitely my favorite of the Stone Anniversaries, even considering the much vaunted 5th IPA, sadly that one faded rather too quickly. The 6th Porter was, and still is, the one to beat for my money. And right now, it is still developing nicely though probably close to reaching a peak. Even so, with care, this could easily go another year with little effort I feel. A real Gem!!

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 Oz bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is a pitch black presentation with a tan colored head. The aroma was chocolate, malt and coffee. The taste was a smooth rendition of the aroma. An outstanding beer.

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

Black. Texture is hardened water but has good weight. Brown hue. Smell and taste are good. Good yeast presence adds a honey sweet. Moderate smokey roast. Light chocolate. Molasses bitterness.

Medium body. Biting carbonation.

Go for it.

3.95/5  rDev -6.2%

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

In many respects this is the most quintessential porter you could imagine. A veritable archetype for the genre, capable of defining the standard. It is black with a slight suggestion of black cherry color. Has a gentle tan head that lasts and a graceful, relaxed mouthfeel. The fragrance is somewhere between molasses and a good campfire.

The taste itself is so elegant and profound, I'm not going to waste language on it. All the usual adjectives sound cliche here except for the "bread-like" descriptive which applies.

This beer doesn't leap out at you and get in your face. It just sits there and commands an audience. Like a king. My only complaint is that you'll need a time machine to return to 2002 and get some more.

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%