Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

4.3

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 60 | Ratings: 110
4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Deep mahagony body pours with a moderate tan head that seems very dense and creamy. The head slowly fades to a more modest layer of foam that leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Sweet and fruity aromas are barely perceptible as the beer sits on the desk in front of me. Close up, a strong dark fruit and chocolate aroma similar to raspberry hot chocolate dominates the nose, but some smoky roasted notes and a bit of hops are present as well. The taste is phenomenal, with sweet malt, strong coffee, roasted malt, burnt marshmallows, and smoldering pine all assaulting my taste buds. Ghostlike alcohol esters hover above the action, filling the rest of my mouth with the prescence. But then the sultry body massages the tongue, and I seem to forget about the brash assault it just recieved. The only memory is a lingering smoked pine taste. Drinkability is very good. This is another masterful brew from Stone. Maybe I should go track down a case of the 7th Anniversary Ale, eh? This is truly a treat.

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance – Nice, dark brown color with a big, tan, foaming head that went down slowly and laced the hell out of my Ruination glass.

Smell – Big, giant, smokey roasted malt aroma with a huge hop balance. The dark cherry and tobacco come out as well, along with a bit of overripe apricot and a lot of brown sugar.

Taste – The smoke flavor here is awesome. It’s like eating a nicely-roasted steak. Behind that, the huge fruits and big malt flavors give this the classic Porter taste. I can also pick up some fine espresso beans and bitter coffee notes. This one has it all, and it all is done up just right.

Mouthfeel – The smoothness of this ale is incredible. This is full-bodied for sure, but extremely creamy. It’s amazing.

Drinkability – I like the Stone Smoked Porter, but it’s kind of heavy on the smoke. When I drink this ale, which I rated a 4.5 overall, I find myself wishing for a little less smoke and more fruit. The 6th Anniversary is it – big, giant fruit, smoked but not overly so, and creamy smooth to the point that it’s almost impossible to stop sucking down. This is unbelievable.

Comments – I chose this as my 600th review because I knew that it would be special. This is easily one of the best bottles that I have opened to date. A huge, BA thanks to francisweizen for hooking me up with this exceptional ale. BA Buds are the best!

4.77/5  rDev +10.9%

Was very fortunate to try this last weekend at a homebrew party I attended. I've been dying to try it for quite some time but figured it a lost cause.

A: Pours almost jet black. A beautiful, creamy, long lasting head.

S: Big roasted/smoked smells. Charred oak and chocolate over load. Hints of coffee as well.

T: Wow. Possibly the best porter I've ever had, and that is saying a lot. I only wish I had more. Smoke, coffee, chocolate, maybe even roasted barley flavors, even though it doesn't fit the category. I would have killed to try this a couple years ago to see what 4 years of aging has done to it. Can't imagine it being better.

I could see why the Stone boys said this was one of, if not, their favorite beer they have brewed. They should definitely consider re-releasing this one. Much better than their standard smoked porter.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Label says its from August 2002. My local beer supply still has a few dozen on a shelf, lucky for me!!!!. Poured into a Duvel tulip with virtually no head, just a little lacing. Color is nearly black, with ruby dark cherry coming through at the edges of the glass. Aromas are characteristic Stone smokeyness, maltiness, a tad of alchohol. Tastes like a classic Stone with smoke, chocolate, jerky-like meaty flavor, medium maltiness- lightly sweet, Alchohol is well hidden. Hoppyness pulls it all together tightly. Solid as a stone. Mouthfeel is full and velvety. This could very well be my favorite Stone and one of my favorite beers.

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%

Originally reviewed 31 August 2002.
Simply Beautiful. Explosions of coffee, chocolate & malt flavor. Smooth on the tongue, w/ a nice balance of malt & hops.
A special occassion beer for special occassions. Not meant for the novice, this is another big, beautiful beer from Stone

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Beer review #400 for me.

Appearance: The 6th Anniversary Porter pours a near-black inky darkness with only a miniscule amount of ruby highlights at the edge of the glass. Thick, long-lasting tan-colored head boils up initally, settles quickly to a thin layer yet manages to coat the glass nearly 100% as the glass emptied.

Smell: Aromas are enchanting. Hefty dose of chocolate, smoke, and toffee assails the nostrils. Freshly-brewed strong coffee notes as well. Amazing.

Taste: If the smell was great, the taste in mind-blowing. A simply fantastic combination of dark, bitter chocolate, toffee, coffee, "smoky campfire", roasted malts....everything combines into a symphony of flavor that was a joy to behold. Finishes with a sweet sugary bitterness that lasts and lasts, reminding you of what just crossed your palate.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Amazing how smooth a beer can be from a bottle. This one is like a big velvet Elvis painting shoved in your mouth. So very smooth and large in the body department. Quite low carbonation which adds to the creamy factor. The ABV is very subdued, making for a very easy-to-drink beer.

Gang...this is one kick-ass beer. A joy to experience. Huge thanks to the classy BA RoyalT for this gem. I am deeply indebted to him for all of the freat beers he has sent me so far.

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours black with just the barest hints of light around the edges witha thick brown head that slowly fades and leaves a nice lace. Very roasted on the nose with nice big chocolatey tones along with some light smokiness and light piney hops. Wow, this brew is absolutely loaded with flavor. Nice hoppy bitterness is mixed in lightly at the start before the roasted and smokey maltiness comes into the picture in a big way. The tangy hoppiness rears its head again before the brew finishes with a nice malty sweetness with strong chocolate flavors left lingering on my tongue. Smooth, creamy and absolutely excellent. I could drink this stuff from sunup to sundown and not get tired of it, although I would be rather drunk. An excellent brew, standard fare from Stone though. Highly recommended.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Poured a deep rootbeery brown with a light brownish head. Dark coffee scents wit a little bit of chocolate in there....

Amazing tastes of espresso... burnt toast... chocolate... portwine... sherry... alcohol....

Just... so... good...

Warming and wonderful.
Smokey and dark..
Absolutely amazing...

4.92/5  rDev +14.4%

Clear dark ruby red. Small creamy brown head that recedes very gradually. Lacing is intricate and web-like. Beautiful deep roasted malt tones on the nose. They are speckled with a light smokiness (that I assume was a bit heavier a year ago). Hop aromas seem to have that "West Coast" feel to them....pungent, citric....piney. The taste is marvelous as well. WOW! This is smooth and tasty. The roasted malt profile lays down a very sturdy foundation. Overatures of chocolate and dry cocoa are HUGE. The lingering bitterness is quite appealing. The smokiness is a little meaty, but quite delicate at this stage of the game. Hop bitterness and roasted bitterness blend to perfection. The mouthfeel is silky smooth. Body seems to check in at about medium. Man this is good. What I could do with a keg of this liquid gold.

LongBeachBum, you've done it again. You are the man! Thanks for sparing one of your last ones.

This was the beer I chose to be my 5000th beer sampled lifetime, and I dedicate it to all the truly great “Beer Persons” on this site. Please excuse the sentimentality, but it is the way I feel about “Beer” and the “Beer Drinking Community” both here at “Beer Advocate” and at “Ratebeer” the other home of great beer and great beer drinkers. It is basically the way I wrote it on August 30, 2002, but updated to reflect my new style of reviewing.

If I may wax nostalgic, and take a line or two from Lewis Carol’s "Through the Looking Glass", "The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things: Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings." Since I sampled my first sip of "Beer" some 50 plus years ago, as a "Wee Lad At My Daddy's Knee" and as I will be 57 a week from today. Memories become much more important than you can imagine, so if I may preach a bit. "Live each day as if it will be you’re last"; Take the time to be with your parents, your brothers and sisters, your wife, your friends, but most especially your children. "Love them, nourish them, be with them", as one day you wake up and realize that "Life" has moved on" and lost opportunities are seldom regained. I'd like to thank the “Arrogant Bastard” himself for this magnificent beer and the signed bottle that's going into my new cabinet.

The Beer pours that magnificent deep brown to black that I rave about, the head prodigious in size, creamy in its texture, the lace in thick sheets that clings to the glass till the very end. The aromas of toasted grain, coffee, lightly hop floral and sweet, a real treat to the senses. Front is ambrosial, the top thick and full in its feel, the finish is modestly acidic, devastatingly hopped dry chocolate malt and alcohol bitter aftertaste. Strong, robust, nicely hopped, high ABV can't ask for more than this.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last