Saison Du BUFF | Stone Brewing

good
Read the review
Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more: http://vimeo.com/11419846

Added by Todd on 05-05-2010

Reviews: 550 | Ratings: 1,334
4.24/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz bottle into my New Belgium globe.

Looks nice, a golden color with some orange highlights. Head recedes to a ring with some lace but it eventually slips back into the beer, leaving a slight film left ontop. Looks nice but nothing exceptional.

Smell is off the chain. This is a perfect smelling saison IMO. Starts off with some sweet Belgian malt, then some wonderful yeasty esters giving impressions of some cardamon and clove ad even some lush ripe fruit. Then the spices take over. Rosemary and sage are so expressive I can smell them 4 feet away from the glass. Parsley and thyme are a bit more reserved, but still add to the overall boquet. Some spicey pepper notes are also present. Sublime. My mouth is watering. On to the taste!

Ah, this is complex and deep, but a bit too crazy. This reminds me of a story of Garett Oliver's visit to a local powerhouse of a brewery. When tasting their spring seasonal, a highly herbed beer, he commented 'just because you can put everything in it doesn't mean you should'. I get the "hook" here being the Simon and Garfunkel song. But there's a lyric in that very song that I think is appropriate to keep in mind here:

"Without no seams nor needlework"

What I mean is that this beer is very interesting, deep, and masterfully crafted. However, there are seams visible on every sip. The sweet Belgian malt and some hints of lemon begin the deep dive into the herbal depths. Rosemary begins to overwhelm the fades. Sage makes a big impression. The parsley lingers on, and thyme seems to slip away. This could stand a bit more balance and it would be phenominal. Just a touch of apple skin and pepper finish with parsely. Nice experience but not a world class taste to back up the phenominal nose.

Mouthfeel is nice, medium body with nice carbonation. Only slight complaint is a touch of medicinal alcohol apparent from time to time (some sips appear to have a touch more spice than others).

Drinkability was also very much above average. I'm picking up a few of these for an upcoming tasting since the nose is so appealing. Will buy again, not the best tasting saison I've ever had but very complex and well crafted.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

On tap at the Philly Beer Week release party with all 3 brewers in attendence...

Pours a hazy yellow straw color with active carbonation but little head and lacing. First scent brings medicinal herbs and lemon... almost like a cough drop... some pepper and yeast on the rear end. Taste brings more of the medicinal herb notes backed with a more pronounced lemon, yeast and pepper notes. Medium bodied, low carbonation, dry and lingering taste. Decent to try, but not my bag of chips.

4.12/5  rDev +7%

A - Pours a golden hue with a slight haziness. Thick white head that slowly recedes to a pretty solid cap, leaving some nice lacing behind.

S - The herbs are very forward in the aroma, with notes of rosemary and sage coming through. There is also a lemony citric quality in the background as well as some earthy yeast. Very unique and appealing nose.

T - Complex flavor which, like the aroma, is very focused on the herbal qualities. Rosemary and sage are most noticeable although the parsley does shine through a bit as well. Bready, earthy yeast and a hint of malt back the herbal flavors up. There is also some crisp citrus in the flavor. Finish is moderately dry, and leaves herbal flavors lingering into the aftertaste.

M - Medium body with good carbonation

D - A pretty unique brew that turned out very nicely. The herbal flavors taste really fresh and add a nice touch to a solid base. I hope I can get my hands on another one or two of these before its gone.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

A: The beer poured golden yellow in color with a finger high white head. A light amount of carbonation is visible from the rising bubbles.
S: There are strong aromas of herbs in the nose; rosemary stands out in particular.
T: Like the smell, there are lots of complex herbal flavors in the taste, which lend a certain uniqueness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very crisp on the palate with some dryness in the finish.
D: The beer is relatively drinkable, but only if you are accustomed to lots of herbal flavors such as those found in gruit beers.

3.62/5  rDev -6%

Poured a bright straw color into a Duvel tulip with three fingers of fluffy white head.

Strong aroma of hoppy lemon. Herbal taste up front followed by fruity hops, parsley, and a bit of soapiness. Moderate-to-high carbonation and a nice light mouthfeel. Very refreshing and easy to drink, but I couldn't quite get over the overall flavor, which was an odd combination of a very nice IPA and lemony dish soap. Glad I tried it, but one was plenty.

4.46/5  rDev +15.8%

Cheers to errantnight for this one!

Pours an effervescent bronze with a finger of pearl colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Lemony with white pepper & orange peel

T: Follows the nose, also some breadyness & candi sugar, apple peels & general spiceyness up front. Fruittyness & lemons dominate as this warms, along with white pepper & orange peel. This reminds me as much of a wit as a saison, so I will deduct half a point for that. I am picking up more the advertised spices once way warm. Finishes with apple peel, lemony & herbal hops & a lovely spiceyness & just a bit of grapefruit at the apex

MF: Medium bodied, lively carbonation, very nice balance

Superb drinkabilty I could stay on this all night!

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

12 ounce bottle, $3.99 at DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY. Pours hazed light tangerine, golden amber, off white head, tiny bubble, that stays, goes to a thicker film and leaves fine sheeting and plentiful bits of fine lacing. Bright nose of the advertised spices, floral, perfumey, fruity, peppery. Highly spiced and flavorful. More pepper, flowers, pizza spicing, lime. Love the style, love the twist pulled off here. Bright, boldly flavorful, zesty and enjoyable collaboratory effort. Stinky cheese, smoky meats, spiced up Thai food? This beer can stand up to the boldest foods out there...interesting possibilities...

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

Served in a Stone shaker pint glass at Rustico. A collaboration between three of my favorite breweries and a saison none the less, am I in heaven? Or is this a cruel joke. Unfortunately it was a cruel joke. This beer was not so good.

Beer is yellow and clear with a thick white head of small and medium bubbles, looks like meringue. Carbonation is high and there is a lot of lacing on the glass. So far so good.

Aroma is quite surprisingly hoppy. Very piny and mildly sweet. Interesting....

Well my notes say basil tasting, strong basil taste but after talking with Greg from Stone he said its parsley rosemary sage and thyme. Sounds great if I'm making sausage but this beer just didn't do it for me. It wasn't offensive but I doubt I'll go there again. Finishing was rather bitter and it has a creamy mouthfeel with a medium body. Too bad.

3.01/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a thick white head that dissipates in about a minute.

Aroma is quite interesting! Herbs, rosemary and sage come through first, thyme and a hint of parsley. I grow all of these herbs and use them frequently and they come through quite well in the nose, as well as a distinct oregano aroma. There is also some light malt and a bit of herbal hops. Really one of the more unique noses on a beer.

Taste is very interesting as well. Starts out light malt, then transitions into an herbal taste, the thyme and sage come through a bit (as well as that oregano flavor, even though there is none in the beer) and this leads to a finish of parsley and earthy hops. A bit dry but not overly so. Overall the taste is good, but a bit odd. The saison taste doesn't really come through, not very yeasty, citrusy or spicy.

Moderate carbonation and medium mouthfeel.

Drinkability is low, I could hardly finish this beer.

Overall this is an interesting beer but I don't think that these herbs really belong in a beer, at least not this one. I wish it were bottle conditioned as well (I don't think it is) because this wiould lend a bit more authentic saison taste, depending on the yeast used.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A great story behind this collaboration! Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Allagash tall chalice/snifter. Brewed at Stone. Pours a pale creamy looking golden. HUGE frothy white head. Appearance is cloudy/hazy...a great looking beer!

Wow, this beer has a strong aroma! In the pour alone, the spices and ingrediants fill the room! Tons of spices in the nose, rosemarry and citrus are dominant. A very faint saison funk lingers...which appeals to me.

Flavor is very interesting. Its good, but not great. A little too much going on for my liking. Good complexity, but spices-galore! There's a hoppiness that comes on strong on the back side of the flavor...followed by a dry pale finish. Mouthfeel is crisp and carbonated. Booze is low...a decent saison.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Poured a straw yellow color with excellent carbonation leaving a big fluffy white head

S: Parsely, sage, lemon

T: Nice crisp feel upfront with lemon, grass, parsley and sage. Did not detect thyme until midway to the end

M: Crisp, light hops and grains, light on booze.

D: Good

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

appearance: amberish cloudy mess.

smell: very herbaceous, had to indivdually indentify

taste: liek it smells, very herby, not very traditional but I really liked it. great with some roasted poultry. nice and hoppy flavor too.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: loved this beer depsite the low rankings so far. it's not on style, but its a great change of pace. I think we should rate this beer for the enjoyment instead of saying it's not a saison.

4.12/5  rDev +7%

Deep golden color with about an inch of white head. Brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. The spice bill couldn't come through in a more clear and obvious way. Personally, I like the nose a lot. The taste is a little weaker, but still clean and packed with earthy spice rack. Lighter bodied, crisp and dry. There's nothing misleading about the label of this beer. So if you like the way the despription sounds, you'll probably like the way the beer tastes. Well done. Fun to share.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

A strange beer. Definitely an experimental one. Jam packed full of herbs, to the point it is actually distracting in my opinion.

Starts off interestingly, I was aware of the intended herb presence of this beer when I bought it so I was not surprised by the nose. Lemon, parsley spiciness, peppercorns. I like it. It has a very clean fresh scent which is great for a summer beer. But where is the yeasty farmhouse funk that I always enjoy about saisons? Not much to be found, at least not by me.

I didn't enjoy the taste as much as the smell actually, which is always a little disappointing when trying new beers. The taste is largely centered around the herbs, lots of sage and rosemary with some of that lemon freshness and spicy parsley from the nose. Grassy hops with a little bitterness to give the beer some balance, but again it doesnt quite have the yeasty horseblankety flavor that I enjoy so much about thte saison style. Mouthfeel is good, nothing spectacular. The herb quality doesnt really have me dying to consume this beer so the drinkability isnt great.

I love saisons. I like the concept. I like the freshness and spiciness. But the herbs are a little too overpowering for me. Tone down the sage and rosemary flavors and boost the funky yeasty component that is so essential to saisons and I think this beer would be more successful.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

So this one sounds like a garden in a bottle. Pours a light golden, clear-clean body. Topping head billows up to about 2 1/2 fingers, so it seems the carbonation is there.
Aroma is herbal. I get parsley and thyme up front with rosemary coming behind. Not much else, some biscuit.
Ok, so this is an interesting beer. As far as the style goes, it misses on coriander and citrus, but the herbs used are dominant. Very green and sharp. Thyme, sage and parsley dominate. I think they overtake the carbonation feel as it seems a bit flat. The herbs totally take over, malt and yeast are out gunned.
Starts off drinking nicely, but when the novelty wears off it's a tad boring. Still good, but nothing changes at is warms. Not sure what food would do well against this; powerful.

4.92/5  rDev +27.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle onto a wine goblet
Hazy gold in color, with a big, billowy head of foam
Aroma-Wow! Big aromatic rush of hops and herbs-Like putting your head in a sack of chopped up herbs and hops-incredibly fragrant
Taste-Wow! Huge hops and herb infusion assault, and then make quick friends of my tastebuds. Juicy hops meld together perfectly with rosemary and sage and other spices into mindblowing flavor. A game-changing saison that would be an excellent summer refresher or an excellent complement to a Thanksgiving dinner.
I am blown away with the complexity and yet refreshing drinkability of this beer. All I can say is more, more, more! I raise my glass high to this "holy trinity" of brewing. Cheers!!

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a De Glazen Toren tulip.

A: Pours a chill hazed bright gold. Sitting on top is about a finger of puffy, bright-white foam. A surprising amount of lace came from that relatively thin layer.

S: The initial aroma was all herbs and fresh cut grass. As it warmed, I picked up some yeast (cardamom/clove) and a touch of red apple. Towards the very end of the glass I picked up a bit of tropical fruit.

T: At first this was mostly all fresh picked herbs and grass clippings. Just like the smell, as it warmed I was able to pick out subtle nuances of clove/cardamom (yeast), red apple, wheat, fresh ground peppercorns, and doughy-fresh baked bread.

M: Dry, through and through, from the get go. Herbal astringency coupled with a hoppy, peppery bite. I really liked how this felt.

D: I was kind of hoping for a little more of the traditional Saison fruitiness. But with the herbs listed on the bottle (parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme) maybe traditional wasn't what they were going for? Just a hunch.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a clear pale yellow color with a fluffy white head that leaves little lacing.

Smells of grassy and herbal notes.

Tastes of plenty of herbs. Parsley is dominant with rosemary and thyme undertones. Grassy notes and a little yeast also make a presence. Some peppery spice also comes through.

Mouthfeel is light with a crisp amount of carbonation.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

How awesome is this? A beer by three of the veritable warriors of craft brewing. There appears to be not an ounce of wimp in the bunch and less than that in this beer.

I opted for a simple goblet as a receptacle for the pour from a 12 oz bottle. The reveal is a saison of light honey color and white head with little lacing (bad cleaning maybe).

The nose resembles both Thaksgiving turkey and a walk in the wooded desert. I am floored by the smell and the ingredients are just now being read...stuffing comes to mind. Damn fine beer and kudos to the brewers as vanguards of the craft. Don't get me wrong, there is grain here, plenty I would expect, the backbone is balanced and strong enough to hold the adjuncts (good kind!) high.

Taste is round and reminiscent of some of the best Christmas beers I have had. Spices and malts combining for a sweet vegetable bread (think zucchini) or spicy candy (red hots?)

Yum. I drank it and now I have to buy more. Twelve ounces is not much.

Updates as you afford me...

Slainte..!(I hope)

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance -- Pours a pale straw with two fingers of fluffy, stiff, lily white head. Lacing was moderate.

Smell -- The nose was like walking through the garden. Herbs as advertised up front, citrus hop aroma, clove, belgian yeastiness, and bready malt. Frankly, it was a little intimidating.

Taste -- Incredibly herbaceous up front, mostly rosemary, along with some grassy/citrus hop character. Malts are bready and a little on the sweet side. Finishes with the aforementioned belgian yeast character and parsley sweetness.

Mouthfeel -- Lighter body, with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability -- Wow, very unique. Herbs aplenty. This beer probably sat in my fridge for two weeks because I wasn't sure if I made a solid decision buying it. However, it's pretty good! Crisp, very refreshing. Can't see wanting this on a regular basis, but it has broadened my definition on what works for beer. Additional plus: fresh breath. So there you go.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

A: When I first smelled this beer, I pulled alot of citrusy hop aroma upfront with rosemary herbal and grassy notes on the back, rounding out the aroma you have the signature saison yeast blend. The herbal aromas are the most interesting note on this beer.

A: Pours clear golden yellow with a thin white head that quickly dissipated.

F: Rosemary herbal and citrus hops upfront. Midway through comes light sweet malt, and there was a slight saison presence
on the back end.

M: Light to medium bodied, with low carbonation.

O: The herbs and the hops play really well with each other. Definitely one of the more interesting beers ive tried and very inventive on the brewers parts. Herbal and hoppy with a tinge of herbs, lots of nose and sweet body. I can only suggest more on the mouthfeel and carbonation.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

A: Mineral rich piss yellow coloration. Decent head and lacing. Head soon becomes weak. Very small film covers the glass. Decent amount of bubbles rise from the bottom.

S: Lots of HERBS. Mostly rosemary. However, all these S&G herbs are noticeable. Baked bread is very obvious in the nose as well as a tangerine citrus.

T: First off . . . great saison. The base for this beer is spot on. The herbal elements only increase this beers character! The rosemary may overtake the other herbs. . . .but for this beer it works. There is a subtle sweetness of coriander and spice that is quickly overtaken by these herbs. Yet this is not a spiced ale! Rosemary, coriander and herbs followed by a subtle sweet malt, finished with a slightly bitter finish define this collaboration.

M: Medium to slightly heavy body. Good carbonation for the style. Herby finish that lingers.

D: Drinkable. Strong in the herby flavor. One will do ya.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thick white head that slowly recedes. Leaves ample, coating lace. The beer is gold with a mild chill haze.

Very spicy aroma that reminds me of pizza. To me, it reminiscent of oregano. It's also peppery. Mildly floral (Dogwood?).

Quite peppery on the tongue almost immediately on the initial sip. Unusual flavor but still appealing. Moderate body with an above average level of carbonation. The aftertaste is very dry, even astringent, featuring a long lasting white ground pepper bite.

I love the experimentation. This is worth seeking out if only to try something completely unusual.

3.09/5  rDev -19.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a big creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is spices, floral, some fruits with a touch of weird sourness.

The flavor is a little sweet fruitiness followed by a pretty strong weird bitterness and slight sourness from the spices. Tastes a bit like a gruit I made but not as harsh (we added wormwood too). The mouthfeel is medium bodied with full carbonation.

Overall, interesting to try, but the spices kind of killed it. Experimenting is fun, but doesn't always work.

4.11/5  rDev +6.8%

The beer pours into my Duvel tulip a brilliant gold color. A lovely white head forms, 2.5-3 fingers worth. There's some lacing, but not quite enough to earn a 5. The nose is decent, but fairly straightforward, as the sage and rosemary are pretty much all that come through. The taste is a bit more complex (thankfully), as the other spices begin to come through and there's some traditional clove/pepper notes that I'd expect in a saison. There's a little bit more bitterness than I usually encounter in a saison, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The body is nice and dry, and the aforementioned bitterness is crisp. There's a nice, high level of carbonation. The beer is very drinkable, as the spice presence stops just short of being overbearing. I'm going to have to track a few more bottles down, as this was outrageous with a simple dish of pasta with garlic and oil.

Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing