Saison Du BUFF | Stone Brewing

good
Read the review
Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more: http://vimeo.com/11419846

Added by Todd on 05-05-2010

Ratings: 1,338 |  Reviews: 550

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

Sure, this beer is innovative (although Right Brain Brewery did a better version last year) but the flavors just don't mesh too well. The rosemary, sage and thyme are nice, but I swear the parsley (which dominates with grassy chlorophyll) was just thrown in to match the Simon and Garfunkel song. And, while I generally love saisons, the slight sourness makes everything even more confusing. While this is appealing from a novelty perspective, palate fatigue sets in about halfway through one beer.

2.51/5  rDev -34.8%

On Tap

Pizza Port
Carlsbad, CA

Clear goldenrod and yellow with a thin white crown. Spotted lacing down the glass.

A strange, herbal aroma consisting of spicy pepper and rosemary (and thyme?) along with some alcohol presence. This is very strange right off the bat, and nothing at all like I was expecting--even with zero expectations! There's some hop/citrus aromas, but they're not the highlight or standing out.

Strangely herbal flavor dominated by rosemary, thyme, ?garlic?, and a high level of bitterness and some alcohol sting. Nothing marries here particularly well, and doesn't make for an enjoyable drinking experience.

Medium bodied. Ample carbonation.

Perhaps my least favorite beer from Stone. I did not like this, though it was more of an interesting experience/experiment, than it was a bad beer.

2.52/5  rDev -34.5%

A: Golden with a nice white head, not cloudy in any way.

S:Very herbal with spicy pepper undertones. Almost like a really good herbal crusty bread at times. I spent a lot of time sniffing before I tasted as this smell is like no other beer.

T:Starts a little spicy, and then the herbs take over. Too overpowering, covering up the flavors of this brew.

M:thin to moderate mouthfeel. Pretty high in carbonation.

D: The herbs make this beer very undrinkable to me.

2.54/5  rDev -34%

- Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow color with a huge, soapy white head. Head has descent retention and leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Smell is herbal, yeasty and a hint of bread dough.

T- Taste is yeasty funk, herbal and a bit of pepper. Quite a bit of herbs almost over kill.

M- Light in body and good amount of carbonation.

D- Pretty interesting ingredients listed on the bottle for sure. Just think they go better on food rather than beer. Found this one on the harder side to drink. Just didn't have the beer taste that I really enjoy.

2.56/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours a slightly turbid orangey yellow with a nice frothy head. Laces well.

The aroma is all c-hops and parsley, thyme, tree bark and light potpourri with fresh tangerine peels. Maybe even a little sweet orange soap.

The taste is blech. Soapy. Piney. Waxy. Fresh, grassy herbs. Slightly medicinal. I want to say cactus. Detergent. Decently bitter. It's not awful and definitely one that makes you ponder. But is it good? That you're going to have to find out for yourself. Because I'm not entirely sure if I like it or loathe it at this point.

Mouthfeel is light, crisp yet creamy with just the perfect amount of carbonation.

This was, for me, a saison in name only. More like an American pale ale brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme which registers on my palate more like pumpkin pie spices than anything. Overall this just isn't what I look for in a saison, much less a beer. This could well be a textbook case of "too many cooks spoil the broth" or quite possibly a case where taking traditional English ballad lyrics literally is a really horrible idea. Scarborough Fair is, after all, a song. Not a recipe.

ETA: Not that it matters, but the artwork on the label leaves much to be desired. Which is surprising as Dogfish Head, Stone, and Victory's labels are usually topnotch.

2.58/5  rDev -33%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

Nice light golden orange color with good carbonation. Smell is of coriander, cracked black pepper, yeast, typically Belgium wheat beer. Taste is herbal tea, coriander, blelgium wheat, funky grass. I have been there done that and I'm not really a fan. I can appreciate it for what it is but that's about where it ends for me. Would not purchase again. Don't know what I was expecting but the description should have been enough to turn me off. Much like other reviewers, I thought if it's a collaboration it must be pretty good. If herbal saisons are your thing, then this is probably up your alley. If not, I would recommend staying away from this one.

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme... and it definately comes through in the mouthfeel. The bouquet clearly transcends all of those herbs, and this is a very pretty beer, but I wasn't looking for a girlfriend.

Hey, I like all of those herbs, even grow them in my garden, but just didn't like the way it came through in the brew. The effort is to be admired, but this concoction was recommended to me by a knowledgeable expert on Saison's and if you're looking for some of the genuine stuff from Belgium then you'll have to look elsewhere.

V8 is great, but not in a carbonated beverage.

2.61/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a bright, clear yellow with just a bit of chill haze. The beer had under an inch of nice white head that had decent retention and minimal lacing.

The aroma has a bold herb and lemon scent (maybe this would be a good marinade for chicken breasts?), with the expected spicy yeast scents buried in the background. On the tongue all that herbiness combines into a slightly unpleasant mess. The yeast flavors I'd been hoping for just barely showed up at the back of the tongue.

The body was average for the style, light and crisp. Drinkability was a little on the hard side, I wouldn't have a second 12oz bottle in a row, and I suspect that a pint would be hard to get through. Overall, I'm not too impressed with this beer, but it's probably worth a shot.

2.67/5  rDev -30.6%

May 2012 review: Pours cloudy yellow gold color with a 2 finger foamy white head that was full of bubbles and faded very slowly, leaving nice spotty lacing and a creamy layer on top.

Smells of herbs up front, like a spice rack; after a few more sniffs I could make out thyme, rosemary, mint, parsley, allspice or cumin and other floral herbs and spices. There was some elements of biscuit, yeast and bread, but the herbs dominated the nose and made the whole smelling experience off – it does not smell like beer at all.

Tastes like a Belgian initially, with thyme, rosemary, pepper, coriander, parsley, light floral hops, yeast, grass, hay, straw, toasted grains and vegetables; like the nose, the herbs seem over the top and were too much for my liking – this tasted better than it smelled, but it was too spicy and herbal to be refreshing.

Mouthfeel is very smooth with very light carbonation, a light/medium body, and a semi-dry earthy herbal finish that was spicy and trailed off with a very complicated mix of herbs and spices.

An interesting experiment, but not what I expected and another beer I’m glad I tried but I would not try again unless it was a food pairing designed to compliment this beer. Each sip had sensory distortion as the aroma coming up through my tulip glass just blasted me with herbs and kept the overall experience out of synch. Gotta support the cause and the craft beer movement, but these misses are like collateral damage in the war to keep the beer machine flowing. One and done on this collaboration.

2.71/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Ok, I don't like giving reviews this low for any beer, especially one from three breweries that I love. However, I have to say I was disappointed with this collaboration.

Appearance: Polished, cider colored ale that left very little head retention and lacing on the glass.

Smell: Upon the first deep wiff, I immediately thought of a lemon herb ricola. Had a strong smell of herbs, spices, lemon cleaner, like pledge and menthol.

Taste: Unfortunately, the taste mimicked the smell. Some herbal flavors with a very strong lemon chemical flavor and a cold taste of almost like menthol.

Mouthfeel: Very bitter mouthfeel, such as something you would get from extracted tannins. Also a bit of the cold tingling feeling from sucking on a menthol cough drop.

Overall, a very interesting beer, for sure. However, the overall aroma and flavor of this beer was not pleasing. Again, I hate giving this low of a score for these three breweries, but this beer left me dissapponted.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

This is a very mixed beer in many many ways. The look is paler than expected with magnificent white head!

The smell is very herbal like a garden full of herbs but excluding hops.

The taste is actually of parsley and basil and thyme very different - pleasant enough at first.

The second half of the bottle is very challenging to finish though...

Certainly a unique beer.

Pours a light golden color, puffy white head that laces well.

Aroma is intensely herbal, which follows through into the flavor. Hints of hops, malt, barnyard, but a bit overwhelmed by the herbal aromatics.

Taste is dominated by the aromatics, sage, thyme, pepper.

2.74/5  rDev -28.8%

I really wanted to like this beer, and the pour was nice enough- nice golden color, and a very white head with nice loft to it. Unfortunately, the rosemary destroys this beer. Very powerful aroma and flavor that just overwhelms everything else. Very singular note here. Sharp and herbal in the mouth, this just isn't my cup of tea.

2.74/5  rDev -28.8%

A- Pours a bright sunny golden color, pillowy white head, ample carbonation.

S- Smells like one of those incense and candle stores that the girlfriend or wife drags you into. An amalgamation of herbs and spices...

T- This little number is trying to do too much! Over powering herbal and soapy flavor. I'm taken back to kindergarten and having my mouth washed out with soap for saying F#$K on the playground.

M- If you can get past the feeling of being drowned in a tub filled with perfumed bath salts, it does have a nice crisp and effervescent character.

D- I had to try it, I'm glad I did, and I'm glad this one was priced reasonably...

2.74/5  rDev -28.8%

I attended the kick-off event a few weeks ago when Dogfishead and Victory were at Stone Brewing to kick-off the collaboration and got to taste some of the wort made that day.

Last Sunday, I had the final product on tap at Stone Brewing.

I appreciate when brewers push the envelope and encourage collaborations but this one just didn't work.

The appearance is a nice clear yellow with little carbonation. Pleasant enough.

Smell, Taste and Drinkability are all highly interrelated in this beer. It is very herbal. I don't know which herb gives it the grassy flavor but it is a little overpowering. This beer might be ok in small samples but too earthy to make it enjoyable for a full pint.

Mouthfeel is as expected. Light and not very malty.

I bought a few bottles at Stone and will give it another try later to see if my opinion changes.

Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing