Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Saison Du BUFF | Stone Brewing

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Brewed with Parsley, Sage, Estate Rosemary & Thyme. Checkout the video for more: http://vimeo.com/11419846

Added by Todd on 05-05-2010

Reviews: 546 | Ratings: 1,321
3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: Straw to pale gold.

Smell: Fresh hops out the wazoo, an almost canibus like aroma mixed with herb de Provence.

Taste: Not much malt character. It is dominated by citrus and pine notes.

Mouthfeel: A lingering bitterness in the centrer of the tongue is slightly off putting.

Drinkability: One is enough for me, a little too lopsided.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

poured from bottle into xtra large tulip.
A- yellow gold with 1.5 fingers of head. slight lacing
A- Herby, Hopsy citrus. some yeast.
T- Hopsy with a hit of sage then rosemary.
M- light with carbonation continuing throughtout the beer.
D- drinkable if you like hops and herbs. I love both so this is good for me. Kinda reminds me of a clean herby IPA. (dare I say)
I do have to say the high price is a turn off on all these "special" beers that have been coming out lately. Its almost enough to chase someone to drink hard liquor...

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Aroma: Heavy blend of herbal notes are forefront on the nose. Spices seem to lean toward Thyme and Rosemary, at least that's what I can pick up on the most. Some black pepper and hints of caramel and light malts, white bread, push through the herbs. No hop aroma.

Appearance: Pale yellow and slightly hazy with active carbonation bubbles seen rising to the top. Head holds low with a ring of white foam around the edge.

Flavor: Hops! A fresh blast of hops surprisingly hits the tongue at first sip. Grapefruit citrus comes out hard, but is quickly quelled by the herbal presence of Rosemary and thyme. There is a sweetness that seems to come not only from expected barley/caramel, but there is also an herbal sugar that seems blended in. Thin through the middle where the flavors all seem to fade for a moment, then the beer finishes with another visit from the hops and fresh grass herbs.

Mouthfeel: Light body with medium carbonation. The carbonation lifts the body somewhat but the beer still comes off light and refreshing in the mouth. Very dry finish with some lingering hop resin in the finish.

Overall: If you've never had a 'spice, herb, or vegetable' beer this is a very good place to start. The beer nicely demonstrates that herbs normally thought of solely for cooking, can be successfully applied in brewing. The hop bitterness and flavor are surprisingly high considering they're not recognizable in the aroma. In fact I wouldn't mind if the hops were backed off a little to Ellet the spices come through even more.

4.8/5  rDev +24.7%

The first thing that hits you is the amazing aroma of the hops when you pour it. This beer has a wonderful complex hoppiness and light mouthfeel. There are also some sweet fruit flavors on the backend. All round great beer. I don't think this is a beer you would be drinking a lot of, but it is certainly enjoyable with or with out food.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

I poured as much of the 12oz bottle as I could into my snifter before the head completely overtook the glass. The liquid can best be described as a hearty clouded goldenrod flitting with sunflower highlights, which made it very cheerful to look at by color alone, but add an awe-inspiring 4-finger thick creamy head on top and, ladies and gentlemen, you have yourself a craft beer. The head had great retention and lasted until I reached the bottom of my glass, leaving thick, spotty, medium-bubbled lacing that refused to let go without being dirty.

No sooner had I put my nose to the glass when summer seemed to erupt out of the top of the beer. It was an explosion of lemon zest, light pine, rosemary, hints of thyme, cloves, light yeast, and an over-exuberant grassy sage that stole the show. I wasn't sure if I was smelling an herbal potpourri or a beer! Despite the myriad of aromas swirling around under the top heavy sage, it had an airy feel to it and became intoxicating after a few sniffs. It reminded me of the beginning of summer, when obligations and worries are finally melted away by the sun and grass, when there doesn't have to be a care in the world. It was so refreshing before I had even tasted it and I still would have been happy without a sip. Though that definitely enhanced everything.

I was caught completely off-guard by the spiciness that blasted through my mouth coupled with a medium bitterness that quickly bit my tongue before being washed over with the other flavors. Once again, the earthy sage steam-rolled everything else into near submission, but a floral lavender, light lemon, rosemary, thyme and grassy cloves eventually reared their heads as I swallowed. I think the only part I didn't really enjoy was when I could still taste the oily sage sitting on the back of my tongue 5 minutes after each drink - it was reminiscent of what I can only imagine licking a sage plant would be like. Holding a light to medium body with moderate carbonation, this Saison was way thicker in texture than it was in scent, which further encouraged my surprise at the anomaly of it all.

This beer is definitely a sipper, not one to be gulped or tossed back. If you're going to try this beer, you need to really put your heart into it, you need to let yourself be taken over by the aromas and quality of the seasonings. At the same time, don't take this craft brew too seriously, it is the epitome of summer, after all. I would recommend pairing this with grilled chicken, maybe with a lemon marinade to further enhance the lemon hiding in the beer, and don't forget the herbs.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

A strange beer. Definitely an experimental one. Jam packed full of herbs, to the point it is actually distracting in my opinion.

Starts off interestingly, I was aware of the intended herb presence of this beer when I bought it so I was not surprised by the nose. Lemon, parsley spiciness, peppercorns. I like it. It has a very clean fresh scent which is great for a summer beer. But where is the yeasty farmhouse funk that I always enjoy about saisons? Not much to be found, at least not by me.

I didn't enjoy the taste as much as the smell actually, which is always a little disappointing when trying new beers. The taste is largely centered around the herbs, lots of sage and rosemary with some of that lemon freshness and spicy parsley from the nose. Grassy hops with a little bitterness to give the beer some balance, but again it doesnt quite have the yeasty horseblankety flavor that I enjoy so much about thte saison style. Mouthfeel is good, nothing spectacular. The herb quality doesnt really have me dying to consume this beer so the drinkability isnt great.

I love saisons. I like the concept. I like the freshness and spiciness. But the herbs are a little too overpowering for me. Tone down the sage and rosemary flavors and boost the funky yeasty component that is so essential to saisons and I think this beer would be more successful.

4.39/5  rDev +14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - a darker golden color with 2 fingers of white head.

Smell - a citrus smell with a background of hops

Taste - a bitter overlay throughout the whole drinking process with some citrus undertones. the citrus is very unique and unlike anything i've ever had. It is mighty tastey.

Mouthfeel - the bitter makes me have a dry mouth after i drink it. I have had bitter fruity beer that leaves me refreshed but this one makes me a little thirsty. but the citrus is refreshing, too bad the bitter qualities last longer than the citrus ones.

Drinkability - Despite the bitterness i am very intrigued with the citrus taste and want more of it.

Bought at Whole Food Market Pasadena (Arroyo Parkway), Calif.

Poured a golden yellow color into a tulip glass. Small head with a decent carbonation. Big smell of mints and herbs hits the nose. Almost "herb-like", mon. The taste of herbs and a light mint flavor on first sip. Mouthfeel of different herbs and light spices. The drinkability is interesting with different flavors staying on the tastebuds. A saison beer from three craft breweries definitely makes this an interesting beer. Ran out of beer just trying to figure out the taste. Should have bought another bottle.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz bottle poured into my Holy Mackeral glass

A-Deep cloudy straw yellow with a nice two finger thick head that settles into a solid perimeter ring with islands of bubbles on top.

S-Really a great smelling brew. Lots of spices (probably those listed on the bottle), lemon zest, yeast, bread, and dough.

T-Lots of breadiness with mixed spiciness. Some lemon and citrus zest along with fruitiness from the hops. Finishes semi-dry with a lingering hop bitterness. A little more hoppy than the typical saison - I would say it is an Americanized version of the style.

M-Carbonation is on the high side - quite prickly. Light and spritzy. Finish is semi-drying.

D-Quite good. I am enjoying this in the heat of the summer. Very thirst quenching. Hope to find some more of it. Again, not strictly traditional, but a solid brew.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Poured into a perfect pint. Head came up two fingers, fluffy, and quickly fell to a thin head holding at the edges. Color varied depending on where in the glass: piss-like at the bottom and orange-tinged at the top. Translucent at the bottom but not the top.

S: Strong floral hop notes. No noticeable hop presence.

T: Grassy. Citrus, perhaps orange.

M: Medium and creamy.

D: This has a kick-in-the-head hoppiness. For me, it isn't drinkable, but for hop-heads, I would think it would be a bit much too.

O: Not my cup of tea at all- I tried it because it was a one-off collaboration. Seems to be a pretty good beer for the style; it's like eating cardamoms to me though. So not something I'd buy again.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Had this out of it's 12oz. bottle. I saw that Stone and others collaborated to brew a saison, I had to give this a try...How can Stone make a saison that is not over-hopped? Well you just add herbs obviously.
A:Nice golden body, poured with a quickly dissipating head
S: very grassy, perfumy, and slightly funky-like grandma.
T: Bitter and saison-y all at the same time. I am very confused, and I like it. This is not a traditional saison, but the practices in making the beer are non-traditional to begin with so... the use of herbs replacing the hops, just like in the old days, but this is intensly different than I thought it might have been back in the good ol' days. but nice all at the same time.
M: Dry, good metabolized nmalt profile.
O: Again, this is not a standard saison, but it is a good beer. Draw the line where you will. I like the beer, therefore I will give it a good score, but it is definetly one-off of a true saison.

Sage rocks. I almost want to have this with cast ironed-skilleted pork chops with apples and sage.

2.52/5  rDev -34.5%

A: Golden with a nice white head, not cloudy in any way.

S:Very herbal with spicy pepper undertones. Almost like a really good herbal crusty bread at times. I spent a lot of time sniffing before I tasted as this smell is like no other beer.

T:Starts a little spicy, and then the herbs take over. Too overpowering, covering up the flavors of this brew.

M:thin to moderate mouthfeel. Pretty high in carbonation.

D: The herbs make this beer very undrinkable to me.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%

Drank 5/19/10
Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - Pours a golden straw yellow with a small white head that faded fairly quickly, although my pour was a very moderate one. There is minimal lacing

S - The smell is of hops as you would expect some Stone made or at least had a part in making. There is also that barnyard saison smell along with the herbs that are described in this beer. Although I could not really smell them individually they did make a pleasant nose together.

T - Taste is slightly hoppy on the front end with some light saison character in the middle and a strong finish of herb/spices. The taste and smell go hand in hand. The taste is pleasant overall but I times flavors can be out of balance and the herbs can be a little overpowering

M - Mouthfeel is good. I enjoyed the way this beer felt in my mouth as I drank it. Its light as you would expect and has the right amount of carbonation, along with some nice residue renaming in my mouth after taking a sip.

D - Drinkability is good and because this beer feels so light it is very easy to drink quickly. Although I think after a while a spices and herbs could become a bit overwhelming and keep me from drinking more.

Overall an interesting saison. I enjoyed the herbs but I felt that they could be a bit overwhelming at times. I had it with a BBQ chicken dinner and I though it went well but I am glad a split a glass because I feel this beer may be a bit unbalanced. An interesting and good saison interpretation from Stone DFH and Victory.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.
a: slight orange straw colored. thick fluffy head with nice lacing and plenty of carbonation.
s: It smells very belgiany. The aroma of yeast and spices are most noticeable
t: The herbs used in the brew, parsley sage rosemary and thyme are definatley noticeable but not overpowering. They are very pleasant. It seems these herbs are used the same way hops would be used to impart flavor. Very different.
m: Thin, dry and highly carbonated.
d: Although I really enjoy this beer I doubt I would be able to drink more than 1 or 2 of these in a sitting.

2.74/5  rDev -28.8%

Certainly a unique beer.

Pours a light golden color, puffy white head that laces well.

Aroma is intensely herbal, which follows through into the flavor. Hints of hops, malt, barnyard, but a bit overwhelmed by the herbal aromatics.

Taste is dominated by the aromatics, sage, thyme, pepper.

From the fridge and poured into my blown flute stone IPA glass. Chilled from 40f warmed to 55f in a room temperater ware.

12 ounce bottle.
A - hazy orange with a big foamy head.
S - smells like fresh earthy herbs. Piney.
T - Great spicey notes with some hop character that just hits the nose. Gotta' love it.
M - light and fizzy.
D - very drinkable. Such a great summer beer.

Shared with the wife after work on a Saturday night.

4.44/5  rDev +15.3%

A - Golden, nice head
N - Cucumber, basil, peaches, grapefruit - fairly complex, very interesting
T - More herby basil flavor, citrus, with crisp/refreshing flavor, nice hops balancing it out
M - Medium bodied, slightly hoppy
D - Very drinkable with alcohol at a reasonable % and quite interesting

3.19/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A malt beverage brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme.

A - A hazy golden body with a bubbly white head that dissipates within a few seconds. The lacing on the glass leaves a sticky white bubble layer that glimmers while you're drinking.

S - Lots of citrusy lemon notes, sweet honey, some clove, and an underlying citra hop body.

T - Tastes like it smells but there's a ton of other flavors from the herbs listed above. Some orange citrus at the back along with the bitterness from the hops. On the front there's a strong cinnamon clove presence.

M - A thin body rests on your tongue that goes down smoothly. Not a ton of carbonation.

O - I wouldn't buy this again. It's not a bad beer, but I wanted to say that up front. I hold all three breweries, Dogfish Head, Stone, and Victory, in high regards, so I guess my expectations were set higher than what I experienced.

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme... and it definately comes through in the mouthfeel. The bouquet clearly transcends all of those herbs, and this is a very pretty beer, but I wasn't looking for a girlfriend.

Hey, I like all of those herbs, even grow them in my garden, but just didn't like the way it came through in the brew. The effort is to be admired, but this concoction was recommended to me by a knowledgeable expert on Saison's and if you're looking for some of the genuine stuff from Belgium then you'll have to look elsewhere.

V8 is great, but not in a carbonated beverage.

3.54/5  rDev -8.1%

A: Golden, bright white head.
S: Hay and lemon. Green herbs definitely there.
T: Upfront punch fo citrus; really nice Quickly dissipates to bitter herbs. Primarily rosemary & sage. Wet hops figure in. Very complex actually. Nice.
F:Light body; dry finish.
D: Easy to drink but not for everybody.

4.62/5  rDev +20%

This past Sunday my buddy John and I had the opportunity to stop at Moe's Tavern in Lee, MA for a very special treat: Saison du BUFF on tap! Saison du BUFF is a collaboration beer from Dogfish Head, Stone and Victory breweries. I have two bottles at home that I've been saving, and now can compare them against the kegged beer. This beer is brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme... yep, a big ol' glass of Simon & Garfunkel.

Appearance: Nice hazy straw color beer with frothy white head.

Smell: Quite a bit going on here. A tart spiciness that was peppered with herbs. Mainly sage and thyme coming through as far as the four herbs go. Some tacky sweet notes to the nose as well, like the faint aroma of honey that's been stirred into tea.

Taste: Wow! Even more going on here! Initial light sweetness breaks quickly to lemon zest, rosemary and yes, parsley (so the other two herbs come marching in). Nice back end herby notes, again with more tartness and now some bittering.

Mouthfeel: Thinner feel than it looks in the glass. Clean, somewhat dry finish. Very enjoyable.

Drinkability: This goes down like water on a hot day. The sweet-tartness up front combined with the clean bitter finish really lend this beer to be finished off quite quickly (as we discovered first hand).

Overall: I am exceptionally pleased with this beer, and can't wait to try it in bottle. Perhaps that will be on the menu this evening. If you see this beer, get it. It's limited, and is worth trying. And if you live within radius to Moe's, call to see if it's still on tap!

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Three style pushing breweries creating an American Saison- sounds good! The aroma is a herb bomb with big rosemary and thyme notes. The taste brings a nice saison spice along with big herbal flavor. At the end there is a warming from the alcohol and some dark fruit. Overall, not a beer I would drink everyday, but a great example of what all three of these breweries are all about.

3.81/5  rDev -1%

Pours a nice golden color with a nice white head. Seems fairly clear - just a slight haze to the beer. The aroma is where this beer is exceptional. You get the hops mixed in with the herbs with a slight sweetness. Taste-wise, I'm not sure how this compares to other saisons since I haven't tried many and it's been awhile since my last one. But I think they did an excellent job blending the hops with the herbs such that it doesn't over power the malt. It finishes a bit sweet with some piney notes in the palate at the end. Goes great with spicey food.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer and didn't think I'd like it as much as I do. I had it on tap days after the release and it had a bit more bite in the bitterness to it than what I'm tasting in the bottle right now (could just be my taste buds today).

I'm looking forward to tasting the other collaborations that Stone has coming up.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Hazy yellow with a pretty thick one finger head in a pint glass. Retains pretty well and nice lacing is left on the glass. Beautiful looking beer.

S - Full of spices. Just smells sweet and crisp.

T - Wow. Full of spices. Rosemary stands out to me. Just so sweet and delicious. Very refreshing.

M - Pretty standard with the medium body and good carbonation. Just what you would expect it to feel like.

D - I could definitely put down a few of these. The abv is non-existent as you drink it. Kind of regret only buying one. At least its easy to get here.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass at Green House Tavern. Drank with the other two SdB, Dogfish Head and Victory, in one session for comparison.

A - Hazy grapefruit with a moderate 1 1/2 finger head that settles into a fluffy head that is maintained well with a rising chain of carbonation throughout the drinking. Leaves a lacing that starts out strong and moves into a spottiness.

S - The best of the three, there's a even balance of herbs with a nice backing of grapefruit citrus and mint, with a light funk behind it.

T - Pepper and Lemon on the front moving into some Belgian yeastiness, with a little sourness as the beer warms up. The malt and hops balance is nice as well, the citrus hops work better with the herbs than I thought.

M - Nice scrubbing mouthfeel full of carbonation, with a dry crisp finish.

D - The most drinkable of the three, this beer is enjoyable enough to try again.

Personally I thought this collaboration was nice in theory, but fell short in execution. Stone, however, brought on a beer I'd try multiple times.

Saison Du BUFF from Stone Brewing