Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010

Reviews: 577 | Ratings: 766
1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

Pours a beautiful rich hazy gold with a solid head.

Aroma is... what the eff is that? Dirty dishwater? Moldy lemons? Stinky cheese? There's some good things in there somewhere but they are masked by the moldy smell.

Taste, not much better, though it grows on you a bit. The first half a beer was actually kind of hard to take down. Eased up a tad over time, but only a tad. The moldy taste overpowers anything pleasant. The only thing nice I can really say about the flavor is it isn't as bad as the smell.

I hate to do this because I love Stone, but this doesn't live up to their reputation.

P.S. Warmed up a little better, but I still don't want to drink it.

1.78/5  rDev -53.8%

Hophead84 and I usually see eye to eye on beer, but whoa, do we differ on this one.

Pours a billowy orange-gold. Big off-white foam head. Bit turbid.

Smells herbally, medicinally, faintly of toasted malts, and ... I don't know .. pungent.

Taste is a mess. Shouldn't be called an IPA, frankly. It's more like an uber-ESB that's been dried out on medicinal herb twigs. So much herbaliness it destroys the malt/toastiness component, plus a hint of pine, grass, and hay components, and ... ugh. A sort of drying (other people mention salt, but to me it's just dry) aftertaste that lingers and lingers. Not citrus-y, no hint of sweetness, just a chore to drink. The acrid-ness combined with an alcohol tone really made me feel like I was drinking a cleaning solvent.

1.55/5  rDev -59.7%

Dammit, I was so excited about this beer, right up until I poured it. Looked weird, pale and milky and raw like The Bruery's Mischief on tap. And the smell was RAW and old. Like something that's been souring under a leaky washing machine over the summer months.

Then I drank it.

Well, at least it felt like a beer in my mouth. But that thing under the washer? Yeah, it was a tangerine. The hops? I don't know how that happens, but it was like sucking on an old unpeeled tangerine. I didn't expect bright citrusy American hoppiness, but what a weird twist. It's aimlessly bitter and too dry and acrid and alcoholic. My friend's first reaction: "it's pointy". Well said. After suffering through a few more gulps (not sippable) I suggested that it tasted sick, like ill. Not infected in the fun way, more like cancer of the malt. She agreed, and said that the aftertaste was like bile. Again, very well said.

1.53/5  rDev -60.3%

Pours a hazy golden color with a large white head that stuck around for some time and left some good chunky lacing on the glass. Aroma was strangely Belgian-esque upon the first whiff. Earthy, like a damp basement, some lemon and light sweetness, herbal hops. This is an English IPA? I don't know what the hell is going on with this beer. The taste is throwing me for a loop. It's bitter, earthy, dry, and has a strong solvent alcohol flavor coupled with bandaid and powdery yeast. WTF? No sweetness in the taste whatsoever, incredibly dry, almost harsh finish. Ugh... Mouthfeel is drying, bitter, and just not good, needs some body and sweetness to balance out the awfulness of the hop schedule. I like bitter, but I want flavor. This is alcohol, medicine, and bandaid. Fuck me, this is bad.

1.49/5  rDev -61.3%

Another year has gone by and its time for yet another stones anniversary beer. I must admit up front I wasnt stoked for an English Style IPA. However being the Stones fanboy I am I had to have it when it came in. The beer was served chilled and in an Imperial Pint glass. As a wise man once said, "Hey Ho Lets Go!"

Appearance: The body of the beer is peach to honey coloration. The head of the beer is off white and quickly resolves into a thin foam.

Smell: Herbed pine hits my nose. Thin bready maltyness supports the hops.

Taste: I think I just licked a grass filled herb encrusted whicker basket. I swore I had a bit of citrus the other day but none to be found in this bottle.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability: The body of the beer is light. The beer gives me a sense of creamyness to the mouth. Very low carbonation noted. Perhaps this is an attempt to get a cask feel. I was gob smacked with dryness on this particular bottle. This beer is not worthy. I like the idea of experimenting with beer styles and ingredients. This is kind of like an off flavored ESB. Hoping next year that the old arrogant bastard returns to form.

1.45/5  rDev -62.3%

Always try not to review an obviously bad beer as long as the brewery will at least compensate or replace the beer in question. Not the case this time, as the brewery said they would look into the handling and sample the batch, that is all !!. This IPA was obviously bad. The aroma as I opened it smelled like S**T, literally. I gave oit the benefit of the doubt and tasted it. It tasted the same, like a spoiled saison, so funky, stinky and undrinkable that it went into the drain. 40+ different beers from Stone and the first one like this. Obviously a problem, whether handling or something else. Kind of turned me off a bit from their response. Always been a big fan of Stone and also of great customer service, too. I'll think twice before buying another anniversary beer, because overall, they have not been the better of the Stone brews and collabs.

1.28/5  rDev -66.8%

Chilled bomber into a glass. Shared by alfrantzell at a weekend tasting. Thanks, Arne.

A: Pours a cloudy apricot body with a finger of short-lived beige head. No lace. The lack of clarity is really unsettling -- it makes the beer look like turbid pond water.

S: Old towels and urinals. There were four of us seated around the table, and I purposely took the last pour and made the last comment so that people wouldn't be influenced by what I had to say. But when I did, that became the consensus of the tasting. There's a peppery, salty, organic note to this that distinctly reminds me of urine and old towels. It's unpleasant.

T: Toasted malt and biscuit, I can pick out. But that weird organic smell I noticed is back, here. It presents the flavors of mildew, decay, and salty pee. I don't think the beer is infected, exactly -- I just have this reaction to certain flavor / aroma combinations (see Nugget Nectar and Tongue Buckler, which smell like urinal cakes to me). This beer goes a step beyond that and carries the unpleasantness into the flavor. And this time, I had 3 witnesses to agree with me.

M: Some alcohol to this, an astringent (tea-like) finish, and a semi-dry body. Nothing about this works at all: it needs more sugar to cover up the booze and bitterness.

D: A complete misfire. Terrible. Between 4 hopheads, we drainpoured half the bottle. And I'm very forgiving toward Stone products, so I'm sad to give this the score I am.

I'm actually half-wondering if they made this to mock Ding. Not cool, Stone.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing