Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a hazy pale straw color. Medium viscosity. Egg shell thin head. Super small bubbles make a creamy head. Soapy splotchy lacing. Nose is very revealing of a citrus type ipa. Pineapple is dominant with hints of pine and grapefruit shining through at moments. Initial sip is a little spicy on the lips. A resinous bitter reconizable IPA malt starts at the front and then transforms into a odd roasty finish. Almost like a roasted nutty type taste. Really odd and off-putting for an IPA. Everything was awesome about this beer until the finish kicked in. Kind of odd brew to have a Stone label on it. Maybe thats why this isn't an A rated beer. It has all of the makings for a great example for a strong IPA profiled brew but gets lost with its finish. A usual hop head may even think this beer isn't fresh with the finish it leaves. Still a solid brew but im not digging the finish. I would advise to drink this fresh due to the type of nose/smell it produces.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Pours a nearly opaque gold/amber with a beautiful foamy head booming to the rim. A solid 2 fingers worth that settles to a rocky 1 finger seafom that really lasts. Sticky lacing abounds. Overall a GREAT looking IPA

S - Citrusy hops with a lot of pineapple and grapefruit coming through strong. Very fruity nose with just a hint of the ABV

T - The taste of crisp grapefruit up front giving way to a sweeter, more tamed maltiness. Finishes with a sticky bitterness that hints of grapefruit. Very nice IIPA.

M - Great feeling beer. Very big bodied with enough carbonation to make it feel incredibly crisp and fresh. The heavy carbonation pairs harmoniously with the grapefruit notes to make this one smooth as butter without too dry or bitter of a finish.

D - Very Drinkable, especially for the alcohol content. Clean, crisp, and citrusy without any off flavors to be found. I would like to pair this next to Ruination and see how my taste buds discern between the two.

2.71/5  rDev -29.6%

A - Gold in color, good head, nice lacing on the side of the glass.

S - Lemon zest, citrusy smell, with a touch or earthiness. Not as hoppy as I would expect based on the style of beer.

T - Taste is very surprising malty sweetness followed up with an earthy bitterness.

M - Very crisp beer to start, and leaves a dry feel on the tounge.

D - Not my favorite brew from Stone. Very creative on their part in come up with a very one of a kind beer. But I feel there are better tasting beers in its class. Worth trying once, since this will be the last time that they make it.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured into a bulbous tulip

A - Super hazy, golden glow reminiscent of an American Wheat. Soapy white respectable head with spotty lacing.

S - Citrus like orange pulp, pine, faint apple, wood, earth and sweet malt.

T - Pretty close to the nose, lots of mild citrus and apple and a sort of earthy English hop tinge and more wood. Long lingering bitterness that isn't as punchy as an all American hop IPA, just kind of meh. Malt is present put nothing to wax poetic about and a slight tinge of alcohol.

M - Nice medium mouthfeel, a little oily and middle of the road carbonation.

D - Really easy to drink for nearly 9% but if Doc Brown and I were to hop in the Delorean and go back to the super market I probably would have picked up Ruination or Sublimely-Self Righteous. Not one of Stone's best offerings but a worthy experiment.

A - Light orange with a bit of haze in there. Nice white fluffy heady. A very clean looking IPA.

S - Lots of sweet caramel malt notes mixed in with pine and citrus hop aroma. There is a lot of West Coast in this glass blended nicely with the English malts. A Very interesting aroma.

T - Definitely a British style beer. Lots of malt character mixed nicely with that Stone hop character of bitterness and pine. A nice balance overall but nothing mind blowing.

D - I would definitely seek this one out again but with that said it is not the best Stone brewed IPA I have had. Its an interesting mix of the two style but ultimately comes up a bit short of being a great beer.

4.82/5  rDev +25.2%

Beautiful golden color. Very clear. Soft white head that left behind a lot of really nice lacing. Smell is fresh citrus all the way (grapefruit is the main smell I picked up). Taste was amazing! Very crispy fruity taste with a nice hop bitterness on the back end. Mouthfeel is very good not to full but not thin by any means. Wow what an amazing brew! I've always been a big fan of Stone and this beer definitely furthers my love. Very drinkable with no sign of alcohol. I would love for this to be a year round or atleast seasonal release. I'm going tomorrow to pick up a few more bottles for my collection.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Even before pouring I noticed this brew had the appearance of a wheat beer; cloudy, unfiltered wheat style. Poured nice with sufficient head to release a nice hoppy aroma... not unique in any way but very nice nonetheless.

The taste was very pleasing. A bit of citrus and pine with a heavy bitterness. As with other IPA's, it left me with a want for more sweetness to balance out the bitter. The feel was light on the tongue with a full body experience... interesting balance.

Another solid edition to the IIPA family but with not much new going on here. I could have another, but I wouldn't dream about it after it was gone.

Cheers

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

A. Orange cloudy color with a good head and good retention

S. Citrus hob smell

T. orange with slight alcohol taste dry feel

M. full bodied smooth with slight carbonation

D. Very drinkable enjoyed in pint glass

Another great beer from Stone Brewing.

2.01/5  rDev -47.8%

A- Nice pale yellow straw color with a good foam head. A chill haze present.

S- Hops. sweetness, some citrus- lemon and grapefruit

T- Noble hop bomb. Extremely bitter to the point of assaulting your taste buds. A little hot from the alcohol. Feels like Im sucking on grapefruit rind. No malt whatsoever.

I love Stone beers and everything they do. They are one of my fav breweries and still will be after this review but...This is the first beer from Stone I do not love. Matte of fact I think it completely misfires.
This beer is a noble hop bomb but not in a good way. This beer assaulted my tastebuds to the point where it ruined my palate fairly quick. Mind you, I love Stone Ruination, so for a beer to do this to my tongue is fairly impressive. After about half way through my first glass from the 22oz bomber, my taste buds were shot. Stone usually has a way for even thier most ambitious beers to have a certain balancing act as not to completely ruin your mouth. This didn't deliver
Sorry Stone, I love you guys, but this beer missed.
I actually have another bottle Im going to age for a couple years, just to see what it does. Should be interesting.

2.55/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured from 22oz into a tulip.

I had two bottles brought to me in August straight from the brewery. Drank one that night, cellered the other one, but did it wrong and it started to skunk, so drank it while it was still saveable. The below is from notes on the first beer, which was in bottle for less than 72 hours.

A: When poured correctly into the tulip a pronounced head is left that will support the bottle cap. The head isn't going anywhere either leaves lacing all the way down that clings fast and doesn't slowly migrate down the glass. The beer is a hazy yellow, but a little darker than other IPA's, such as Stone's Ruination.

S: It's an IPA, so first off you smell hops, followed by more hops, then a little pine smell, followed by hops again. Once your olfactory senses have been sufficiently stunned into submission, other nuances of the beer become apparent such as citrus notes and some flower essences that I can't peg exactly. The effect is to definitely let you know this is an IPA, but nothing really stands out above the rest.

T: Citrusy and hoppy are the two best adjectives here. They both combine in equal amounts to give you a unique IPA taste. This is however, a lot lighter on the hops presence then one would expect from an Emperial IPA and especially from Stone. It comes across a bit reserved as if Stone pulled back at the last minute from making a more substantial IPA.

M: The feel is OK, but a bit over carbonated for an IPA, this combined by an overly dry feeling, leave me less than impressed.

D: The brew didn't live up to what I've come to expect from DIPA styles and from Stone. While I wouldn't turn a glass of this down, I wouldn't spend my own money on another bottle or glass. Instead, for a good IPA and Stone product, I would turn back to Ruination.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

Wow! I got 2 bottle of this beer in the cellar and did not want to open them due to the rarity of the beer in my location. A local bar had it on tap so I had to try it. It was simply incredible. The hop character was very earthy and not as citrusy as a normal IPA. I am getting ahead of myself. It poured a nice golden hew with a minimal white head that laced all the way down the glass. The aromas that came out of the beer were fantastic. Earthy, hoppy, and some pale malt came through. Now, back to the flavors. It was a very drinkable beer for the ABV and the smoothness kept me wanting more. Hats off to Stone on their 14th anniversary beer. I cannot wait to see how it tastes in a year or two.

CHEERS!

4.9/5  rDev +27.3%

Exceptional on all fronts.

Appearance - Beautiful gold/pale with lots of floaties. Wonderful dense and frothy head.

Nose - deliciously hoppy nose! As soon as i popped the cap you could smell the citrusy hops. Mind blowingly intense nose.

Taste - Fascinating! Very bright and fresh malty notes combine with an aggressive tropical hop profile. Some tropical fruit notes - possibly pineapple with some passion fruit? The brightness of this beer is wonderful. Really glides across the palette and sparks the wonder factor hugely. Malty notes are sparkly and refreshing with a bitter finish that is very refined and appreciated.

mouthfeel - exceptional. perfect mouthfeel - bright and hoppy with a fullbodied but not cloying in any way.

drinkability - excellent. potent brew though.

conclusion: one of the most exceptional IPAs i've had the pleasure of drinking. Absolutely spot on for the style and my favorite of all the stone brews. Three thumbs up!

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Hazy and murky with a golden yellow color, poured with a rich head. Smell- complex. At 100 IBU I have to say this is too bitter for my taste, but there is a richness there that everyone must step up and recognize. Wouldn't go back for this one, I much prefer the Ruination. However, that night I dreamed that I was drinking this and the hops were so strong that it made me sneeze. Points for puncturing my subconscious.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

As an English IPA it misses the style; it is an Imperial IPA . The ingredients were English, except the treated water, but the style is Imperial as implied in the spelling Emperial which implies something different has been done.

Aroma - Hops with no detectable malt

Appearance - gold with orange tint. Little to no head.

Flavor - aroma did not mis-lead all hops. Very little malt tasted. Long aftertaste of hops a little harsh and bitter.

Texture - light body but astringent.

Overall a strong hop tonic. Never sure what "drinkability" means (Bud Light?) but one was enough.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

I'll apologize in advance for this thin review, but this was the final beer I had at a Stone tasting and while I remember citrus notes, particularly grapefruit and lemon, the hops were the star of this brew...as you might imagine.

In a word, it was a MF'er. Huge nose, Huge taste, and Huge (but not overpowering) alcohol. Finished dry...almost tart.

I don't know if I could many of these, but I sure enjoyed what I had.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Glass: Chimay beer glass
A= Poured a bright, cloudy orange. One finger of light, tan head.

S= Somewhat malty. A touch of pine.

T= Malt sweetness giving way to a bitter hop finish. Some floral and pepper notes.

M= Smooth and sweet, with a dry hoppy finish.

D= An easy drinking IPA. As their 14th anniversary IPA, I was anticipating a big flavored, complex beer, but was left with a drinkable, but not exceptional IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone has been, for me, one of those breweries that I have to be in the mood to have a beer from. I received my Emperial from my brother (liquor store manager) for my birthday. While I was very happy to get one because of what it is, I was iffy simply because I'm not a huge hophead. I've had a lot of IPA's that I do love, but I know how Stone likes take their brews to the extremes. But, I got in one of my Stone moods, so I cracked it open and poured the first half into a glass.

A: First thing I noticed was how brightly colored it was. It's the the most vibrant yellow/orange beer I've ever seen. Head was pretty standard for an IPA, quick to recede.

S: Strong hop smell as expected, but incredibly strong citrus aromas to accompany. It smelled liked its color: vibrant.

T: Huge rush of hops, bitter enough to kick your tongue back, but then fades into bright citrus flavors to match the color and smell. Very interesting to let sit on your tongue and analyze. Finished with bitterness comparable to most strong IPA's, and that unique Stone aftertaste (I'm sure some of you know what I mean)

M: Dries you right out, lots of carbonation. Not bad to start, but I personally don't like the finish.

D: I don't think I'd pick this up again, simply due to my personal tastes. Overall: harsh hitting, but one of the better IPA's I've had, and uniquely Stone. Perhaps I'm just not worthy for this one.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Served from growler into tapered Stone glass

Appearance - a very clouded light amber color with a bubbly thick cream colored head.

Smell - certainly the hops come across in the smell both in the nostrils and the back of the throat.

Taste - fir fans of imperial IPA I think this will be an enjoyable beer to try. What you ask for when it comes to imperial is hops and Stone never fails to impress. It combines nicely with a fruitiness, almost apricot like that gives the beer a nice balance of flavor as opposed to pure bitterness.

Mouthfeel - what I really enjoy about this beer is that the carbonation doesn't weigh too much on the tongue. It allows you to focus on the flavor. That is not to say there isn't carbonation because there is, but that the carbonation doesnt mask the wonderful hoppsy flavor.

Overall - stone IPA's hold a special place in my heart, and the 14th anniversary dies a fantastic job at defining an emperial IPA. That said, it is not doing anything to redefine, which is what i imagine 5's are reserved for. Regardless, it reminds me of the Stone tours hops room and just brings a smile to my face.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Looks like I'm first to review it on tap! Served up at The Daily Pint in Santa Monica.

A: poured much oranger than I'd expected. A light, bright orange with a finger of white creamy head that disipated quickly and left little lacing.

S: I smell a little bit of the pine others mention, but not much grass. Some tangerine and grapefruit. Light malt.

T: strong grapefruit bitterness, very little of the pine I smelled. Not a lot of complexity, just strong bitter hops. Malts? We don't need no stinking malts! Slightly medicinal finish. Not entirely unpleasant but very strong; finish lingers and lingers.

M: medium body, slightly thin for the boldness of the taste. Carbonation balances that thinness to a pleasant, well Dundee mouthfeel anyways.

D: I'll be honest. I don't need another one. I'm fine with assertive beers, but this one felt a little one-dimensional, and infind that overpowering. My palet is amped up but is ready for... Something else.

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%

After pouring this beer I wasnt very excited about drinking it. It had a cloudy yellow/orange color to it almost like a wheat beer. It did have a pleasant, citrus aroma. The bitterness of the Imperial style was apparent on the first sip and almost overwhelming.

The beer was not very carbonated yet had a thick mouthfeel. The citrus, almost lemony bitterness had a slightly sweet after taste.

The citrus flavors were a refreshing change for an Imperial and overall a fun beer to try.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing