Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010

2.81/5  rDev -27%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into an over sized English pint glass.

Noteworthy, the beer did gush upon opening.

Appearance- Beer pours clear and amber golden with a huge head of foam. Head is quite impressive, rises and coats the sides of the glass leaving ample lacing on the sides.

Smell- Something smells not English about this IPA, there's a Belgian smell here that seems a bit off. Strong English style noble hops which I'm sure is exactly what they were going for. Earthy and grassy. Malt is bready and may provide enough backbone for the aging that many are sure to do, me included.

Taste- This strange Belgian thing is going on still, it isn't entirely welcome in an English IPA. The noble hops are here, the stone yeast (if they even use a standard yeast strain) is there. The beer attempts to be solid but there is just something very off that I just can't pinpoint, and perhaps it's over hopping, perhaps the bottle is infected as it was a gusher.

Mouthfeel- Resiny, hoppy, overly bittering, not entirely warming which is a plus considering the gravity, highly carbonated, medium bodied.

Drinkability- Unfortunately I will have to drink my 2nd bottle at some time, I hope by then it is more drinkable. I can't recommend this fresh at all.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a hazy, yellow-orange with a 2-finger white head. Minimal lacing.

Smell is very subtle--floral and lemony hops with some caramel, toasty hops. There are flavors of bitter, floral and earthy hops with pepper. Mouthfeel is light-bodied, slightly acidic. Some alcohol burning.

This is a pretty good beer, but it's not a traditional English IPA, it's sort of a combination English IPA-Imperial IPA. It could probably use some aging to mellow out and bring forward some better flavors.

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from 22oz bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a light golden color with a finger of fluffy foam.

Smell: Floral hops at first followed by a blue cheese aroma.

Taste: Bitter hops and grapefruit. Very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a bitey finish.

Drinkability: I usually enjoy Stone beers and their Anniversary beers. I might try this on draft, but I'm thinking I might pass on it in the bottle again.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

A - pours a nice golden color. sort of cloudy. but nice looking. thick white head when poured but dies down very quickly. spotty lacing.

S - at first the hops overwhelm everything but as it warms some bready malts come through as well as some fruit esters.

T - some malt sweetness is apparent. pineapple. lots of piney citrusy hops. nice.

M - medium bodied. low carb.

D - another good job by stone. it sort of reminds me of sculpin but less estery and more bitter. but either way this is a nice beer espically on a warm night like such.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

I tried this first at Stone's NYE celebration ringing in 2012. Thought it was interesting and then I saw it in a bottle at Lone Hill Liquor. Decided to grab it. Glad I did.

It should be noted that this is incorrectly labeled as an American Imperial IPA. According to the bottle this is an English Imperial IPA.

Somewhat opaque pale gold with a dense white head. Aroma is (unsurprisingly) hoppy. Mostly a perfume of flower and nectar notes with some grapefruit and lemon. Slight alcohol and biscuit. Flavor starts with white bread crust and lemon rind. Fades to bitter orange and then grassy, earthy bitterness of aforementioned hops. Feel is appropriate and finish is dry. Actually, the finish is the most unorthodox thing about this beer. The hops and malt are English, but this is more floral than I'm used to, so I view that as Stone's take on the style. The dry finish is a bit grating, the only flaw really. Definitely like this one. A different take on a tried and true style that is overlooked in the states. Glad I tried it, now I wish I had it fresh to compare.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Hazy light golden, with orange dominating yellow.
Ample head, solid lacing.

Aroma is very pungent.
Immense amounts of grassy floral notes.
Dry, assertive, and lingering.
Citrus background with lemon zest, grapefruit, and ethanol.

Taste is familiar to the nose, with some primary differences.
The citrus stands out this time, with lots of lemon, and grapefruit leading the way.
Grapefruit dominated, leading to that familiar West Coast vibe.
Midway, seems to lean towards the dry hoppy side with lots of grass, hay, and robust earthiness.
Finishes with some bitterness, and zest, while remaining excellent drinkability.

Although, this wasn't near the top echelon of Stone Beers, it was indeed quite enjoyable, while remaining it's extreme drinkability. Quite nice.

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a nice hazy gold color with some bright apricot highlights. The initial 2 finger head of smooth, thick white foam retains excellently at a solid finger and leaves behind tremendous amounts of lace. The foam holds so well that it continues to lend nicely to the overall feel of the beer throughout the drink.

Not as much aroma as I expected out of this one, especially with the overwhelming flavors in the taste. I just get hints of the grainy malt and a bit of the citrusy, grassy hops. Overall it smells really dry, if dry can be a smell.

Wow...taste in this beer was not really what I was expecting at all. I typically find English IPAs a little more mild and balanced than American, but that is certainly not the case in this one. It is Stone, so perhaps I should have expected that more. When first held in the mouth, not much flavor comes out. I get a nice foundation of crispy grain and a hint of the hops. The burst of hop bitterness really explodes when I start to swallow the beer and it hits the back and upper parts of the palate. There's huge bitter citrus and some grassy hops as well. The hop concentration is so high that I feel a thick layer of sticky film all through my mouth and across my lips. The well-retained head really helps cut the stickiness, giving the beer a smooth and creamy dimension to match. End of the drink is crisp, probably in part due to the sharpness of the finish, and the aftertaste holds for quite some time.

Not very high drinkability on this one. I do like the taste, but the overall sharpness might mean the second half of the bomber gets left behind.

2.61/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured from the bottle into my Duvel tulip. I had this a couple days ago at a tasting but my palate wasn't up to snuff at that time so I didn't review it.

A - Golden with an orange hue. Big eggshell colored head. Lots of lacing sticks to the side of the glass.

S - Interesting aroma, different than anything else I've had before, maybe a little like a less pungent Gubna? Definitely a lot of herbal hop flavor and kind of reminds me a bit of a piece of cheese. Kind of smells a little salty.

T - Grassy/herbal type hop flavor up front before finishing with a flavor similar to grapefruit rind. Pretty bitter but the bitterness quickly fades and leaves a more subtle bitter flavor in the mouth. A little salty. Not much of a malt backbone in this one and while it has a hint of grapefruit flavor it doesn't have a sweet citrusy flavor. The more I drink the more I pick up the saltiness.

M - Medium body with a good amount of carbonation.

D - Not really that great of a beer. I really dislike the saltiness and it just builds and builds as I drink this beer. My lips feel a bit dryed out like after taking a swim in the ocean. This beer is unique but not really all that great. If you can get a hold of this beer I think it is worth trying but I won't be picking up any more of this and will not be seeking it out again.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Pours a cloudy orange body with a fast receding white head that leaves some light lacing.

S: A nice hoppy aroma balanced with some pale malts, tropical fruit, and spices.

T: For some reason, I felt like I am drinking hoppy orange juice. Lots of bitter citrus hops in the flavor balanced with some sweet malts. Also getting some grapefruit and spices. Finishes slightly boozy and dry.

M: Creamy texture; appropriate carbonation; medium body.

O: I enjoyed this beer a lot. Really refreshing, but nothing too interesting. Although very balanced, this isn't one of those "complex" DIPAs. Glad I tried it, but wouldn't go out of my way to get more... not that I could because it's a limited brew.

Appearance: A nicely hazy golden-orange body capped by a finger and a half of creamy white head that burns off quickly and leaves patchy lacing.

Aroma: Lots of juicy, floral, and herbal hops over a pale malt body; this is a unique blend. A little bit of booze as it warms.

Flavor: Up front, a blast of herbal, citrusy, peppery, and nicely bitter hops take center stage. Underneath, the malt is pale and a little sweet, but pretty much stays out of the way. It's not terribly unbalanced, but certainly leans heavily on the malt side (which is appropriate for the style). Nice spice from the alcohol throughout. Herbals hops and crackery malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied and a little oily with medium carbonation and a dry finish. Burn from the booze throughout.

Drinkability: Drinks just a little quicker than the alcohol content would suggest and much faster than the average Double IPA.

Verdict: As I had hoped, Stone 14 is a thoroughly unique and totally enjoyable brew. It has a lot of the impact and punch of an American IPA, but a totally different set of flavors. Mission accomplished, Greg.

Special thanks to bamadog who hooked me up with this out of his fridge full of beer! :)

A: Yellow-orange with a lot of cloudiness - leaves a good white head and lace on the glass

S: Nose is malt, citrus, and some orange rind

T: wow - bitterness comes through from the hops - mellows after a while with a good malt finish

M: Carbonation is moderate-high - sits well

D: high - love stone and this beer fits well in their inventory.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber bottle pours a yellow golden colour with the very slightest tinge of cloudyness to it. Smells so damn fresh too. Glad I got to this when I did. Tastes just as the description on the bottle suggests. Very earthy hop/piney notes with a slight peppery not quite spicey finish to go with the hops and slight sweetness. Drinks down so goddamn smooth and there is no hint of the 8.9% alc at all. Its been so long since an ipa/iipa actually effected my palate. Thank you Stone for something different from the norm of the ipa style.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Presentation: 22oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a clear golden color with a fluffy white head and moderate lacing.

S: Hops, spices and mild smokiness. Not much on the nose, but it could be my allergies.

T&M: Definitely has the characteristic bitter hop taste of typical English IPA's. Very dry and full-bodied. Some citrus fruit and alcohol presence. Big, bitter, dry, earthy, spicy finish.

Very nice, different flavor that is completely hopped up. The bitter hops hang around forever, but don't rip your tongue apart. Nice.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%

22oz bomber poured into a Midnight Sun stem. From notes.

A - Pours a nectarine-orange with a fluffy white, retained, head.

S - Relatively subdued, in a good way. Mainly piney hops followed by citrus.

T - Piney/resiny hops up front which then gives way nicely to grapefruit, pineapple, orange and some dry malt.

M - Medium body with a nice dry finish that hides the alcohol well. Lingering stickiness to finish.

D - The style tones down the hop 'slap' typical with large IPAs (and Stone brews) making this an easy drinking, delicious, IPA. Love this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Ok, I have to say after the first sip of this I was taken back, but it grew on me. Poured into tulip, hazy golden with nice white head and good retention and nice lacing. Smell is very bitter, dry hops. Almost foul but not quite, a slightly sour citrus smell with some dry malt. Taste was again, odd at first. The first sip knocked my head back, definitely different than an American IPA or any other Stone beer. A very dry, bready malt combined with some bitter sour hops is an interesting combo. A very slick, velvety mouthfeel with an fresh hop oily residue left behind, along with some bitterness again. Overall a good beer. Not my favorite of their last couple anniversary beers but different and welcome.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The pour is a hazy golden straw color with a dense white head on it.

S: The nose is quite inviting (at first). Initially there is plenty of fruitiness to it--pineapple and grapefruit, especially. Then some lightly floral and spicy hops come into the picture along with a very distinct grassiness.

T: Initially I really liked the flavor of this as it matched the nose nearly perfectly. As the beer warmed up a little bit, the hop flavor became grassy and very spicy. A good bitterness to it without much in the way of malt (typical Stone beer).

M: The body is perhaps on the light end of medium with a moderate and tingling carbonation.

D: I usually like Stone's anniversary beers, but this one just didn't quite do it for me. I guess if I'm going to have any more of these, I'll have to drink them quickly.

4.44/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Light, orange-straw color that pours with about a half inch of head that slowly dissipates, leaving quite a bit of sticky lace on the sides of the glass.

S- Big, juicy hop aroma of blood oranges and very ripe strawberries accented by hints of basil and mint. Very interesting and complex. Outstanding.

T- Starts out with a gooey candied berry sweetness that is quickly overwhelmed by some intense earthy hop flavors. Grass, pepper, dirt, and even a hint of melting plastic come through in the highly bitter finish. Extremely complex and, despite how it may seem from the description, enjoyable.

M- Fairly thick, but balanced nicely by the carbonation.

D- Well, it's a pretty intense flavor experience, and one that would prevent me from drinking more than one bottle in a sitting. However, that one bottle will definitely go down, if only to see what sort of flavors will emerge.

One could easily consider me a Stone fanboy by looking at my reviews. Perhaps one would be correct. I don't really care how it seems; I simply love Stone's beers, and this one is no exception. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it, but it definitely won me over. It's very complex and one of the most interesting beers I've ever had. It is by no means an English IPA, but it's not meant to be, so I won't penalize the beer based on its classification on this site. I highly recommend it for people who are looking for something a bit different.

3.58/5  rDev -7%

22oz bottle into a perfect pint glass.

A - Hazy pale straw color, nice two finger head. Minimal head retention, but lacing is good, leaving rings around the glass.

S - Very interesting. At various times I get spiciness and bitterness of the hops, and an almost cotton candy-like sweetness. Probably one of the more unique smelling beers I've had to date.

T - Pretty damned bitter. It's bitter in the front, bitter in the middle, and bitter in the long, dry finish. Bready and maybe a little funk in there, but only hints. Maybe just a bit of alcohol.

M - Similar to many Stone beers, medium body, good carbonation. Not oily, pretty light.

D - Okay, so I wasn't sure at first. But after the first third, I found myself reaching for this one over and over. The ~9% abv hurts it a little, but not much.

O - After having their Saison Du BUFF, this isn't a complete shock to me. I honestly don't get the ugliness directed at this beer in the forums. I think a lot of people don't really understand the style, especially using hops that many Americans aren't familiar with (not that I really am either). At any rate I enjoyed it, and will be buying a few more.

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Had on tap at the Total Tap Takeover Tour at the Rattle n Hum in NYC. Served in a pint glass.

Look: hazy straw color with a little orange. Big off white head that leaves a good deal of lacing behind.

Smell: hops dominate, obviously. Citrus, pine, and earthy hops are present.

Taste: citrus hop flavors followed by toasted malts. There's no alcohol taste.

Feel: medium bodied. Carbonation is fairly light.

Drink: drinkable but not exceptionally drinkable. I think this is a case of it being sessionable but why would you want to?

Overall, this is decent but it is not in the same league as Ruination IPA. Not even close. Worth a try though if you get a chance.

A-Pours a hazy light gold with a sizable head that has good retention and lacing.

S-Somewhat tart citrus hop aroma leads with a biscuity malt backbone coming in late, a bit of spice as well.

T-Bitter, earthy and citrus hops take the lead here and hang around through the middle and finish in a more subdued fashion. A pleasant, bready malt backbone is there as well, but it serves as a subdued compliment to the hops.

M-Medium body, somewhat creamy and oily, crisp carb bite.

D-Its a sipper, but it is a pleasant experience all the way down.

Another good job from the fine folks at Stone.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing