Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by jeffthecheff on 06-19-2010

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

With a huge cap of chunky white foam, that lasts forever in the glass... and upper lip... you get lots of thick lacing. The beer itself it golden yellow and strongly carbonated... Fizzy Yellow Beer indeed! Sharp, spicy hop nose with almost imperceptible traces of alcohol. The hops carry over as expected into the taste, but as the initial wisp of sweetness gets run over by the hop train, things go downhill a bit. The hops are more bitter than flavorful and have a unpleasant, astringent aftertaste. The flavor from initial sip through to finish is a roller coaster that oscillates between very good and not so great. Overall, interesting, but nothing I would stash away for the future... unless to see if it smooths out and tames some of the grubbiness.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Old.

Pour is straw gold with some hints of orange. quite hazy and thick.

Nose is surprisingly potent. Lemon, orange, little booziness, little mustiness.

Taste starts off alright, some little bursts of melon and tangerine. Follows with rather odd, dry, woody boozy malt. Really tastes like plywood in some ways. Not totally in bad way.

Feel is pretty medium full. Not syrupy.

Neat. Would love to go back in time and try it fresh to compare. Oh well. Still a decent IIPA, but clearly has fallen by the wayside and had some interesting metamorphosis go on with time.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Purchased from Riverside in Kent, OH. for $7.99 for the bomber.

Poured into my Sam Adams glass. An easy pour produces a golden apricot yellow beer, with a 1" head that has good retention and some nice lacing.

Nose is quite hoppy, but then, this is Stone isn't it? A mixture of citrus and pine in the nose with underlying toffee sweetness.

The taste is big, with hops to the forefront. Some grapefruit and lemony zest, with a piney or spruce backup. Pretty awesome hop profile. There is a sweetness behind the malt, which is almost completely buried by the hops. Not quite bready and not quite toffee ... just a sweetness which I would equate with fresh sweet citrus fruits. Mouthfeel is medium, with pretty good carbonation ... just on the edge of prickly. I'd guess close to 2.5 volumes.

Drinkability is always tough for me to vote on for these big beers. If I just based it on the pure joy of the flavor and in-your-face hops, I'd have given it a '5', but this beer is *not* a session brew. I think I'll be nicely mellow after finishing the bomber ... any more and I wouldn't be able to drive. Enjoy this one responsibly!

Stone is one of my favorite breweries. They consistently put out great beer after great beer. This is just another one to add to their portfolio. I luv Stone .. I think you will love this one too. Highly recommended!

Na Zdravje!

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Split a 22 two ways, poured into a deschutes globe. Reviewed 7/5/2010.

Ar: Fresh hops, light floral, herbal, spicy, mild citrus, great hop aroma, alcohol

Ap: Fine haze straw, creamy head, great retention, lacing

T: Earthy/herbal hop, good bitter end, light floral, fresh hop, clean pale malt, lightly sweet in balance, nice lasting hop bitterness, helps dry beer out, light alcohol, hints of candy sweetness

M: mouth coating resin, medium fine carbonation, light alcohol warmth at end

O: good and unique, i like a good us ipa more but good

2.92/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured from a deuce-deuce (22 oz. bottle) into a beer taster.

Appearance: Cloudy pale golden color with moderate carbonation visible through the murky liquid. Head settles to a thin layer of foam on the surface of the beer and leaves moderate lacing on the way down.

Smell: There's a great deal of pungent citrus (lemon/lime/grapefruit) in the initial scent. Certainly a floral hop element, and even some light breadiness towards the end. From the scent, I could see it pairing with Indian/Pakistani cuisine or fishy seafood quite nicely. No unpleasantness.

Taste: Slightly repugnant. The scent is superbly misleading. First sip yields bitter nastiness. Burned popcorn and heavy fusel-type alcohol flavors battle voraciously, while a nearly cloying sweetness (of caramel malt, perhaps) creates a layer of strangeness underneath it all. Aftertaste is bitter and pungent. Not my favorite take on an IPA of any kind.

Mouthfeel: Lightly hop-oiled, ample carbonation, slightly chewy. Leaves a light coating upon imbibation.

Drinkability: I fear I may have to offer this as a libation to the beer-gods.

My only regret is that I drank the Lagunitas Hop Stoopid first tonight. *Sigh* if I could turn back time.

3.76/5  rDev -2.3%

Appearance> Oh heck yes. This looks to me like a perfect English IPA as I would see Stone do it. Beautiful golden colour (that's the English spelling, in homage to the beer's style) with a big vanilla coloured head that has good retention and heaps heaps HEAPS of lacing. The ale is very hazy with medium liveliness.

Smell>Almost too wonderful to be an English IPA. It is easily a Stone beer by its arrogantly hoppy nose. Other notes are sweet grasses and honey.

Taste>Nicely done, Stone. The beer isn't overly complex, like most Stone brews, which is good because English IPAs are also not too complex. This beer gives you a a nice wallop of hops and a bitter hang, and doesn't leave you questioning too much more. The only thing stopping this from being a 5 is the fact that it is just too hoppy for its style. I'm giving it a 4 because it is still hella tasty.

Mouf>easy

Drinkability> not as easy as it's style should be, but good.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%

22 oz. bottle into a pint glass

The appearance is a clear golden yellow with a thin white head. Head diminished to the one-bubble layer on top of the beer that remained throughout.

The smell was what you would expect form an IPA. Sweet, alcoholic, pungent hop tones that were fighting for airspace.

The taste was as sweet as it smelled, but not heavy on the alcohol. Started off with an up-front approach of hops and light bitterness, hints of citrus and then mellowed out to a soft, almost grassy after taste.

Not an overly impressive IPA if comparing it to others, but well enough to stand alone. I don't quite understand the purpose or reasoning behind wanting to Imperial-ise an IPA other than the fact to say that it was done. Perhaps to set it apart from the past anniversary IPAs that Stone has done...

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

I got this bottle at the Common Market and the Flying Saucer in Charlotte.
Pours a faint yellow amber body with a thick, froathy head.
Smells of obvious east kent goldings and dry herbal hoppiness.
Tastes of citrus, pine and huge grassy notes with some dry malts that taste more like rye than any other grain. The finish is EXTREMELY dry and almost like sand. It's amazingly bittering and very very dry.
Drinkablity is up for debate but the dryness is more than most of my beer drinking advocates can even handle, I don't hate it but it's very hard to drink alot of it. I think this beer will be very nice in about 5-6 months after mellowing out.

3.96/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked up a year-old bomber at VBS in Lafayette. Tons of brown sediment at the bottom of the bottle slightly distrubed on the ride home.

Poured yellow/green over straw with more head that I was expecting (having read some reviews before pulling the trigger on buying). The closest I've had was a new wet-hopped ale form Idaho I described as "hop tea." This is similar with all piney hops in the nose. Taste follows with very little discernable malt presence. It's aged quite well, but with this much hop bitterness now after a year, I would have enjoyed a shot at it when it was new.

Doen't finish particularly complexly or long: it's just a really nice lighter hop bomb. I think I would have enjoyed it even more had I filtered it or waited for the sediment to settle a bit more.

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

22oz poured into pint.

A: Light golden color. One-finger head. Medium carbonation.

S: Very strange smell. Earthy, grassy. Different than any beer I have ever smelled before.

T: Grassy continues. Long, lingering, bitter, earthy aftertaste. Unlike any beer I have ever had.

M: Smooth and properly carbonated.

D: Not for me. I ended up gulping my half down.

This beer seems like it didn't know what it was up to in life. I will not buy another one.

2.69/5  rDev -30.1%

Bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

I really like the look of this sucker. It pours an unexpected yellow with lots of haze. It actually looks a bit like a glass of grapfruit juice.

Not much grapfruit in the smell, however. The hop scent is on the citrus side, though, but didn't have much bite or impact.

The flavor changed a little bit throughout for me. The first few foamy sips had a bit of an oddly metallic aftertaste that was a bit off-putting. Once I got down into it, serious dry bitterness took over. This sucker sticks to the back of the tongue like Elmers. Ever eat fresh dandilions when you were an adventurous little kid? That's the sticky dryness we're talking about here. The good news is that the 8.9% is pretty well hidden. Believe it or not, though, the flavor is just mild enough and hoppy enough to hold my interest.

The mouthfeel would be much nicer if it wasn't so... so sticky. The head is nice and lingering, which makes each sip pleasant, if slightly metallic-y.

It's not drinkable so much as it's nice to look at. Not worth 6 bucks/bomber to just stare at a nicely-colored beer, however. On the flipside, it'll get you drunk without much booziness.

Not sure what to make of this beer. Stone's reputation is superb, so I'm left a little disappointed by the weird flavors of this one. The bottled date is June 2010, and it's September, but I'm not sure staleness was the issue here.

4.27/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Nice slightly cloudy orange/golden body with a small quickly dissolving white head that was poured in to a small brandy snifter. Spicy nose, some pine, mostly white pepper a little caramel, fresh cut grass and a little citrus. The taste is awesome, the spicy pepper hits hard and then is washed away with a sweet malt and then the earthy not quite bitter hop flavor takes over. The finish is a little bitter but there is enough malt to keep it down. The thing that impresses me is that you can taste all the individual parts and they don't step on each other. It has a slick/oily mouthfeel with small biting carbonation. I can feel the alcohol burn, but it is so tasty I have to drink more.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

22 oz. bomber served in a standard pint glass

A - Beautiful hue of apricot-orange. It's cloudy, but I can still see through it. Features good lacing and a small white head.

S - Lemon, lemongrass, and yeast

T - Floral and citrus hops right away, with honeysuckle, clover, and freshly cut grass showing up soon thereafter. There are traces of pepper in the back half. All of the above blend with the hops for an earthy, herbal bitter end.

M - Medium bodied; a little chewy at points. The carbonation is spot on, and the complex flavors make this a joy to swish back and forth over the different regions of the tongue.

D - If money weren't an object, I'd be drink another bomber right away.

Very impressive despite high expectations. Stone rarely disappoints and certainly not here. Highly recommended.

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield Il, served in a 12oz. snifter

The beer pours a hazy golden yellow with a very lacy white head. A decent layer of lasting bubbles adorn the top of the beer.

The nose is strong but not too over the top like I expected from a Stone anniversary beer. Strong herbal and grass hop aroma with just a a tinge of lemon at the the end. A semi-sweet malt backbone backs up the barrage of hops.

I'm enjoying the bitterness in this beer. With most Stone beers the bitterness is overly harsh but this is much smoother. The hop flavor is very earthy with herbal flavors. A sweet finish for an IPA with some alcohol flavor at the end. A really unique hop profile that I kind of enjoyed and a nice diversion from my usual preference of citrus hop bombs.

The mouthfeel and carbonation is near perfect for my tastes. This beer is dangerously drinkable and I finished my snifter without much effort, palate fatigue. I applaud Stone for taking a chance with this beer. While not my favorite DIPA, I can't see all the hate this beer is getting.

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

poured from the 22 oz bomber into my new belgium goblet:

A: Bright yellow cloudy brew pours a bit thick - eggshell white 2 finger head settles leaving thick lacing.

S: LEMONY! really attractive to the nose, but not at all like any other brew I have smelled.

T: OK here goes: this has a hoppy, tarty bite that is as citrusy as any hops I have ever tasted.

M: not bad, but not as much body as I expect from STONE.

D: to quote rufus the stunt bum: call that a beer? I'd rather have another! (God love him!)

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

from notes...22 oz. chug into a pint glass...aroma is definitely different than the regular "Stone IPA" wheel (a great wheel nonetheless). Big malt tempered by hops, but as they say on the bottle, it's more of an English type of bitterness than a classic West Coast IPA like many of their brews. Strong beer...the alcohol isn't masked quite as well as it could be. It's its own beer though, and I dig it. Great mouthfeel. Unique beer. Recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

22 ounce bottle into a Brooklyn tulip.

Bright golden and slightly hazy with a bright white head, lots of lace as it drinks.

Very crisp spicy hop character, some mint and tree sap (birch, cedar, faint pine) malt profile is baked bread, biscuit and pie crust with slight sugary note. Alcohol is well masked.

Flavor is very hop forward, spicy more mint and herbal character. Nice firm bitterness, crisp and what a true IPA should present

one of my favorite anniversary beers that Stone has put out. Might not have the wow factor found in 10, 12 or 13 from a hopheads perspective, but the balance and hop bitterness make it an IPA that would be a welcome year round brew. Reminds me a great deal of Youngs Special London Ale in character and profile.

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer after all I've heard about it. Totally unimpressed by it though once I had it. Aroma was extremely floral, almost prfume like. Flavor was pretty well balanced but it tasted more like an IPA than a Double IPA. The hop bitterness may have been there but the alcohol was really missing. Give me a Ruination over this beer anyday.

4.32/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Hazy orange body with a white frothy head that subsides quickly but still hangs around enough to leave some lacing on my snifter.

S - Awesome. IPA but not American (not that they are bad). Hops are very aggressive but not the typical "C" hops that give off pine and tropical fruits. These are more grassy and herbal, still some citrus but that may also be attributed to the English yeast a bit. Aside from the hops which are the main show you get a sugary sweet character.

T - Just like it smells this thing is all business with a ton of hops up front, grassy but pungent. There is a mildly fruity thing in there, not sure again if it's yeast driven or hops or both. Malts really don't come through much except towards the end and even then it seems to be a simple recipe, clean but nothing fancy. Overall really enjoyable and I'm just starting the bomber. ABV so far is not an issue though I suspect as it warms it will pop up.

M/D - Full body but backed up by the huge hops additions and strong ABV it seems appropriate. Dangerously drinkable.

Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA from Stone Brewing