Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic AleStone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 10-02-2010

4.63/5  rDev +23.5%

This is one of those beers that you probably have to have another session with to truly appreciate. But, first impressions are what counts right? I picked up a bomber earlier today and poured it into a Stella Artois chalice. Golden yellow with a hint of orange, and a pleasant head. I really like this incarnation. It is like a hybrid of a belgian and a light Chardonnay. I imagine that this will become a much more pronounced beer as years go by. But I do enjoy the lightness in comparison to the usual hoppy beers Stone offers. I am happy they came up with a light faire this year as last year was a little too dark for my tastes. Really well done and I am sure a year from now it will be even more exceptional.

4.6/5  rDev +22.7%

This ale appears a light golden color with a small white head.

.It smells slightly of a sweet white wine. The grapes are quite noticeable in the smell. There is a sweet sugary smell as well to the beer. As well as some floral notes. It smells quite complex.

It tastes slightly like a white wine. There is an acidity and earthy flavor that I associate with white wine. There is a very floral and herbal flavor going on in the beer as well. I also get a bit of a honey flavor to the beer as well. There is also a bit of alcohol heat to this beer, but it blends nicely with the other flavors. The taste ends with a slight bitterness. A nice floral flavor lingers on the palate.

The carbonation seems natural. The carbonation is moderate low. It complements the beer perfectly.

The drinkability is pretty good for being high in alcohol. Though all I can drink is one 22 ounce bottle of it.

Overall an amazing, creative, complex beer that pushes the boundaries. It seems to be a fusion between a semi-sweet white wine and a tripel. I can see why many don't like this beer as the flavor is quite unlike most beers. i think this is a beer your either going to love or hate. I am going to pick up a few more of these.

4.57/5  rDev +21.9%

When I heard a relatively accessible bar was going to be tapping Vertical Epic I knew I had to schedule my day around it. All activities were leading up to that fantastic moment as I sat on the couch of Lincoln Park Whole Food's and began sipping this beer. Seemingly twelve ounce pour into a tulip-like glass.

A- Honeyrod golden body with a generous collar, middle of the lake cirrus clouds float until this beer was finished being consumed. Tons of carbonation. Absolutely truck loads. Dozens of streams danced their way up the fluid. It was a bit turbid and hazy to see through. The lacing never lasted long enough for me to be ultimately happy with it.

S- Heavily reminded of a super sweet belgian. Almost sickeningly sweet, almost. Initially it was floral notes and a hint of funk. The aroma evolves throughout the experience. Brown sugars and what has to be the chamomile come forward as it lingers in the glass.

T- Heavily sweet. It borders a candied beer with nausea. Borders, though. It never fully crosses into that territory. The funk exists in the finish along with a noticeable hop presence that fades quickly. Great residue on the tongue that reminds me of creme brulee burnt sugar. The middle flavors should be noted as acetic sourness with love. Tender, like I like it sprinkled on food.

As the beer warmed, the sweetness fades and is replaced with a new bittersweet complex. The sour starts coming out more into its own place, which is obviously the grapes. Some nice wine qualities. Awesome.

M- Full, heavily carbonated, residues on the lips, tongue, and soft palate all differ from each other. Each one lovely in their own way. Hops to the lips, creme brulee to the tongue, and a varying mixture elsewhere.

D-Here is a beer I would love to drink on a weekly basis. It tastes great, never overwhelms, blends the alcohol in perfectly. There are zero real complaints, and all compliments for stone on this one. Room for improvement of course, but not much. Easy, easy, easy to consume and love all at once.

4.52/5  rDev +20.5%

4.52/5  rDev +20.5%

22 oz. -> Duvel Tulip. Paired with spicy black bean soup and fresh French bread. This is my 4th or 5th time with this brew, decided I should sit down and review it. BA review #51

A - Hazy dark gold, 1 finger white bubbly head

S - yeasty, sweet, light spice, grape notes

T - if I had done a blind taste I would have called this a tripel. It has a rich flavor profile of sweet, light spice and hints of grape. It's sweet on the lips and finishes like a white wine. Opens up wonderfully as it warms.

M - Coats and leaves pretty quick, but the sweetness stays on the lips.

D - Good sipper. Split the big bottle in to two servings. I'm curious as to how this one would age. At $7.50 a bottle it's a fair price. I'd definitely drink again, in fact I'm going to visit my local shop to pick up the last of what they have.

4.5/5  rDev +20%

While I've always been intrigued by the Vertical Epic releases, and admire the creativity endowed in each, none of the releases so far have really hit it out of the park for me - until now - this 10/10/10 version is one impressive beer. Not sure that I can grasp all the brewing elements, but the grapes are clearly evident. Interestingly, they lend a fruityness without imparting a noticeable wine aspect. Lively without being fizzy and a nice bit of spicyness to the beer. There is a touch of a raw edge that I'm curious to see if a little age might smooth it down a bit. Normally, I put back one of each of these for the eventual vertical, but I think a few more of this year's edition will find a home in the cellar.

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing