Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic AleStone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 10-02-2010

Liked:
3.76/5
Alströms:

A: Poured a light golden color with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Pepper, some fruits, chamomille

T: Plenty of flavor and pop upfront. Pepper, spice, chamomille with a hint of bubble gum and white grapes

M: Good feel, well carbonated, nice amount of booze

D: Not one of the best VE's

Saw it on tap, debated between a few belgians, but knew they all could afford to wait a few days.

Appearance:
This beer was poured into a 5oz tulip with a dense, white head of about one inch. The beer was a golden yellow with light brushes of orange against the midday sun. It's a well carbonated beverage, but the beer's head still disappeared as soon as the grease from my lips hit the rim.

Smell:
I am surprised by this beer at this point because I thought it was going to be a typical Stone strong IPA, but it was instead a Belgian! WIN. I would recognize that distinct funk anywhere. Aside from the yeast, I noticed nice notes of fruity sweetness accompanied by a little spice.

Taste:
The taste is that of a Belgian strong ale, if you're experimenting with this beer as your first of its class, try the real thing because although Stone did a nice job, it's still no Chimey or Saison Dupont (although...I don't think there is a pale ale to come from Belgium yet...).
Looking at the website I am noticing that there were 3 different grape varieties added along with chamomile, it would help to explain the beers capacity for complexity. I wouldn't mind trying the beer again now knowing that the sweetness comes partially from this tri-grape infusion. Little of the chamomile came through, but I felt quite relaxed after drinking!

Mouthfeel:
Dense, mysterious, yet bubbly, and summery like all Belgians seem to do. I wasn't getting bitter as much as I was the sweet or funk. The beer went down smooth, light, and refreshing. I was forced to sip (given the generous abv and weak man's glass size), but easily could have gulped this beer down.

Drinkability:
Excellent beer to drink mid winter, heavy and complex, yet light like a summer's treat. It broke up the porter-trippel-stout loop that I'd been in. I'm definitely glad I went out on a limb in trying it, I would definitely get again knowing that it's also bottled. For the price ($7.50 at the blue tusk in syr, ny) it's steep and there are other beers I'd probably get instead (ie. the same size ye' olde barley wine by dfh on tap for $5.50). However, I would definitely try this beer bottled, possibly let one sit until summer rolls around.

Cheers.

Pours with a foamy/whipped egg white head that shows some nice structure as it collapse. The beer is a bright clear brass color with some slowly rising carbonation making it's way to the surface. Some spider web lacing remains.

Aroma is mostly candied sugar with some yeast and a very slight floral note.

Ok, so I admit that I saw this is currently rated as a "B" My first thought after a few sips is, how the hell is this averaging a "B" It's pretty damn good. Pear, peach, candied sugar with a strong bitter/yeast like finish. Very herbaceous. Some white wine notes for sure. You can detect the higher abv here.

Finishes quite dry. Fairly light bodied. The sweetness comes out more as you continue to work through the bottle.

In the end this almost does drink more like a white wine. Pretty good. Will be interesting to see how this ages for a couple years.

Pours a nice gold in color with a thin white head.

Nice Belgian yeast aroma mixed with spices.

The flavor is a winner too. A hint of earthy dryness at the start that then makes way for sweetness and an alcoholic bite. It hits all the Belgian Strong Pale Ale notes, and hits them well. I may be able to detect the grapes and chamomile, which bring another layer of wine-like complexity to this beer.

The body has substance; it's not watery.

Overall a very nice Belgian beer. It doesn't have Stone's hallmark notes of hop bitterness or flavor, but that doesn't matter. Seek it out.

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing