Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic AleStone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

This ninth edition of our Stone Vertical Epic Ale series takes two interesting left turns. A Belgian-style golden triple is the starting point of this beer, but the first left turn is nearly immediate with the addition of dried chamomile flowers, triticale, and Belgian amber candi sugar. The second, and rather unusual left turn takes us half an hour up the road from Stone to Temecula courtesy of the addition of just-pressed Muscat, Gewurztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grapes from our friends at South Coast Winery. As the Stone Vertical Epic Ale series has moved through the calendar, we found that the brewing schedule for a 10.10.10 release coincided nicely with the grape harvest, neatly providing an interesting twist in this epic ale.

Added by JohnGalt1 on 10-02-2010

Liked:
3.76/5
Alströms:

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

This beer sat in my cellar for a few months because I wasn't that sure I wanted to drink it. The information on the bottle just didn't sound that enticing. Finally tried it, and very glad that I did.
In a tulip glass the beer was a gold color with a small white head. Very still, little carbonation.
Very fruity aroma, tea in the background.
Great taste: cotton candy, grapes (very much so), tea. On the tart side.
I liked how it progressed from sweet to tart in my mouth.
Would buy this again.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz. bottle served in a Blvd. Tank 7 tulip. Poured a bright gold with less than a finger of white head that quickly dissipated. Plenty of fruit in the aroma as well as a bit of floral spice. Fairly light bodied for the abv. The grapes are really upfront. The chamomile lingers in the finish. Very white wine like. Fairly dry. Not a lot of hop presence. Interesting beer, but I wouldn't go out of my way to seek it our again. My wife, who is more of a wine lover, really enjoyed it.

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a well-rounded head. Color is mild yellow. Smell is a bit fruity, very belgian. I can always tell Belgian ales apart from other ales by the very distinctive smell that they give off. This one has it in abundance.

First sip is a mix of traditional belgian flavor qualities with something a bit more sugary in nature. Overall, the flavor is quite mellow and mouthfeel is overall very well contained.

Sadly, I did not wait until 12.12.12 to try this bottle; however, as I've found it to be quite enjoyable, chances are that I'll come to own another one very soon.

2.16/5  rDev -42.6%

Pours a golden straw color with a fingers worth of soapy head that quickly dissipates and leaves little to no lacing.

Smell is grass, typical slightly funky belgian yeast, grape and a hint of spice. Smells more like wine than beer to me. Can't smell any hops.

Tastes like carbonated white wine. Not at all what I look for in a beer. There is some nice belgian yeast, but it is completely over-shadowed by the grapes. There is the faintest hint of some hop notes, but again, it is completely swept under the rug by the grapes.

Mouthfeel is prickly and over-carbonated, dry finish.

I can appreciate the craftsmanship of this brew, but the flavors just do no agree with me at all. It was a struggle to finish the bomber I purchased. Some people may love this type of beer, but I am certainly no one of them.

4.17/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. The foam gently recedes to a ring, but sticks around as a small cap. Light lace is left behind.
S: Musky yeast up front. Followed by a delicate grape aroma. Spicy, grassy, and floral. I get some other fruits like pears as well. Lots going on in the nose, and it is excellent.
T: Musky and spicy yeast. Bread and biscuit. Light buttery notes along with the grape flavor. Though the grapes are not as pronounced as the nose. A lingering bitterness. Very nice.
M/D: A medium to full body. Very crisp, dry, and clean. I am thinking there are some tannins in here as well, though that could be my mind playing tricks on me? Easy to drink. The alcohol is noticeable, but still a good beer to sip on.

This is very nice. I am really enjoy it. A nice BSPA in the vain of Duvel, but has a bit more going on because of the grape juice. Something that I would recommend.

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Used a stemless wine glass for this one...seemed appropriate.

The head is fluffy and dissipates quickly, but the color is a gorgeous, clear amber.

On the nose, I think apple/pear is the most striking fruit edge, but there's almost a deep berry hint reminiscent of Chambord, perhaps because of the boozey, chardonnay notes. In fact, I find it to be more "alcoholic" than "funky" as the other reviewers have stated, though I agree the Belgian yeast is apparent.

The taste is mild in a good way, although the wine-y flavors (again, primarily chardonnay) linger a bit too long and leave an unwanted alcoholic flavor, probably a central reason the beer should be aged (and why I've tucked a few bottles away for next year). There are the typical spice notes one tends to expect from a beer of this style (nutmeg/clove), and it works okay off the highly alcholic and lingering wine flavor, but the grapes are still a bully at the party for right now. There's a Geuze-like heavy sour quality that is really interesting but it seems to clash with the lingering wine-y character instead of enhancing it. If it were better melded, I think it could work, but right now the flavors feel a bit dissonant.

The mouthfeel is nice...a bit chewy, but not overly so, and it lets the spices linger and bounce off the grapes.

I think it's drinkability is pretty high - it almost has a refreshing edge to it, and the carbonation helps here (though it reminds me a bit of a sparkling wine).

I predict that next year my score for this beer will greatly increase, and I recommend if you find a bottle that you hold off on drinking it, as the label recommends. While that's generally the case with the VEs, I feel like it's especially pronounced here unless you're trying to win over a wine lover with beer.

4.3/5  rDev +14.4%

Pours very hazy, golden-orange in color. Head is mild and quickly dissipates to a dense soapy ring and a thin sheen.

Aroma is reminiscent of a farm ale or a saison. Rich in yeasty spices (corriander and clove really stands out), along with a musty basement funk.

Taste is pale and caramel malt up front. Belgian candi sugar brings a great deal of sweetness. Apricot and orange fruit qualities make an appearance. Then the rather intense yeasty spice takes over - corriander and clove from the nose, along with white pepper heat. Finishes with a tart fruit quality, and lingering alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is a slick medium body.

Overall, an interesting brew with a multitude of flavor experiences. Sweet and fruity, then spicy and yeasty funk. I'll stick with my first impression of a farmhouse ale.

3.46/5  rDev -8%

Poured a nice hazy orange with a light yet sticky head.

The nose is a strong mixture of belgian pale yeast and big sweet fruits, must be from the grapes.

The taste is much milder than the nose with a light tartness and a big spicy flavor, the fruit notes, which are more citrusy than grapey, are much more subdued with some nice german hops and a long lingering belgian yeast finish.

The mouthfeel has a nice bit of carbonation, but finishes very dry.

Overall It I enjoyed it more than I thought I might coming in with low expectations due to the strangeness of it. Still wouldn't make my top list of Belgian Pales, will be interesting to try again several years from now.

3.78/5  rDev +0.5%

As a natural and true wine lover, I found this to be somewhat amiss. The pour was nice, the aroma was easy and somewhat not pronounced.
What lacked for me was the taste. It didnt have the feel I was expecting. It was a bit too soft, perhaps because of the grapes that were being used. I think in making a beer, some more aggressive grapes might have been used. But who am I to challenge the brew master!
While tasting it, it was almost like a wine, not a beer, so from that point of view, I said, OK, it was easy to drink

3.43/5  rDev -8.8%

Tasting notes from 1-11-11

Bomber purchased at Wegmans in State College, PA and enjoyed in my hotel room.

A - Medium yellow colour, one finger of foamy white head. A lot of visible carbonation.

S - Belgian yeast, some bitterness and some faint sweet grape notes. Not a very interesting nose.

T - Yeast, cloves, some floral hop notes, a sweetness but no specific grape taste comes through.

M - Medium body, chewy, smooth. Light to moderate carbonation.

3.94/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy golden orange color with very little head...not nearly as much as I was expecting. The little bit there is vanishes quickly. Scent is delightful Belgian yeast with a lot of sweetness. Fruity scents as well from the grapes. This beer smells like it's gonna be a delicious tripel. Taste is very unique. It's what you would expect from a tripel (tasty Belgian yeast, bready notes, fruitiness, slight bitterness, nice bite), but the grapes really add a distinct taste to it. It's got a bit of a sour-ish edge to it, that I kinda like. Mouthfeel is nice, although it could use a little more carbonation. Interested in how this beer ages. Can't really tell if it'll get better or worse. Only time will tell I suppose. Drinkability is medium-high.

3.79/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: Lemon colored with a clear coat

Smell: reminds me of a good IPA with an perfume spray of fruit

Taste: like i was going for a beer and became shocked thinking i was drinking wine

Mouthfeel: thin with a bubbly bitterness

Drinkability: Good may be better with an age thats why you buy 2

On tap at the Common Table in Dallas.

The beer pours an orange color with a white head. The aroma is a nice mix of white wine grapes, Belgian yeast, biscuit malt and a lot of sugary sweetness. The flavor is more of the same. I get a lot of notes that remind me of a tripel - candy sugar, citrus, biscuit malt and alcohol - along with a lot of white wine notes. There is a strong grape presence to the flavor which is expected in this beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.39/5  rDev -9.8%

Huge 2 finger plus head, tons of carbonation, cloudy golden color

Didnt really get much out of the smell, had to inhale deep to get fruity floral notes

Taste like a triple finishes like a glass of wine

Mouth feel is mild, light lingering fruit taste

Very easy to drink, does not Taste like a 9.5 % , can't wait to try the 2nd one I bought in 2012

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

22 oz bomber my Fiancee go me for xmas...what a thoughtful girl. Pours a murky golden orange color, with a one finger head that quickly disappears. I get orange, yeast, and spice, nothing too complex. Yeast hits the palate first, clove makes an appearance grape definitely appears in the end and the beer has a nearly wine like finish to it, with bitterness lingering afterwards, and the ABV is hidden. Mouthfeel is full bodied and highly carbonated, and the subtle taste and hidden ABV combine to make this one about as drinkable as a 9.5 percent ABV beer can get

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

22oz bomber pulled from the fridge and allowed to warm up for roughly a half hour before opening. poured into a bulb style glass.

pours out a hazy golden orange color with about a one finger of soapy white head that faded to pretty much nothing within 5 minutes or so. poor retention and pretty much no lace. very beautiful looking color to the body of the beer however.

in the aroma there is bubblegum, flouride, and a bit of spice from the yeast, solvent alcohol, lots of crisp fruit, grapes primarily with bits of apple, and hints of pale malt and candied sugars. as the beer warms, the aroma becomes a little more focused towards alcohol.

lots of belgian flavors mingling with fruity grape flavors. very vinious and that seems to come out more as it warms and the carbonation dwindles. bubblegum, flouride like belgian yeast. crisp apple, pear, and lots of white grapes. pale malts, just a bit of alcohol noticable with a warming, slightly sweet wine like finish. light spice.

heavy bodied with ample carbonation at first that settles out towards the end of the glass. as far as mouthfeel goes, it feels like an authentic belgian. a very dry finish, most likely from the grape juice.

one glass would prolly be enough, but i didnt have too much of a problem finishing the bottle.

overall, out of the 3 epics ive had including this one, id have to say this is my least favorite. but like the last 3, i do have a second bottle to age and im interested to see how that goes. if your not into trying every one of them and aging them, i wouldnt suggest this one.

4.07/5  rDev +8.2%

Served from bottle into a 12 ounce glass. Poured one finger of head with some retention. Light amber color. Small amount of sediment.

Honey scent comes right off the bat followed by the grapes.

Initially tastes strong with honey and grapes, the alcohol is hidden quite well. The camomile also comes through but just a hint. Delightful for any time of day. I've even had it in the morning.

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a tiny hotel room glass.

A: Pours a clear golden orange with a half finger head that results in no lacing.

S: Smell is predominately Belgian yeasts. Some spice and grapes as well.

T: A zesty Belgian Strong Pale. Strong esters, some cloves, and apple juicy notes - which is muddled with the grape juice noted on the label.

M: Kind of wanting this one to finish a bit more dry. Moderately high carbonation and medium body. Very spritzy.

D: This one was alright and somewhat refreshing. The fruity notes detract a little from what could be a solid BSPA.

3.45/5  rDev -8.2%

Cloudy, pale color, almost white head settling and lacing nicely.

Smells like a funky, strong belgian. Hints of tart fruit, wet paper towel, faint spice.

Mild up front, then a blast of spice and clove followed by an astringent winey finish. The added grape juice really comes through at the end and lingers in the aftertaste.

If I had to guess the abv, I probably wouldn't have said quite as high as 9.5%, but I can believe it.

It's not terrible, but unless you've een making a tradition of trying every year, I wouldn't go out of your way for it.

2.73/5  rDev -27.4%

Pale, clear, bubbly, with a light half finger of head that produces no lacing.

Aroma is sweet, with a hint of caramel, grapes and tart citrus.

Taste is slightly malty, slightly tart and sour, with a bit of funk to it. Hops are spicy, with a touch of zesty citrus.

Feel is crisp, and light, though upper light in body. High effervescent carbonation.

Fair drink. It's unique and I will finish my pour, but it is not my bag..not even close. Shouldn't be a problem holding onto my bottle for a few years; we'll see what happens.

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at Good Time's pub with a steak sandwhich. Brew arrived in a long stemmed tulip. Color was a straw yellow with mild to light bubbling and carbonation with no head. Smelled nice with all of the usual suspects in the nose and taste. The one thing that stood out to me was the dessert wine quality of the brew (must be the muscat grapes?). Mostly soft and subtle and a bit on the sweet/white wine side. Glad I got to try it, but not something I will be looking for. Mouth was light and it's an easy drinker, just a BPA on the sweeter end of the spectrum.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Bomber poured into goblet

A: Pours a deep gold with one finger of fluffy white head that dissipates slowly, leaving some nice lacing.

S: Smells of yeast, wine, grapes, spiciness and citrus. Kind of like a tripel mixed with white wine.

T: Starts off with wine and grape skin, followed by pale malts. Then comes the spicy, yeastiness. Finishes with citrus and floral notes. Very different.

M: Very dry and heavily carbonated with a medium body.

D: Its definitely a sipper, but I found each sip to be quite enjoyable.

Overall, this was a very unique brew and I personally found it to be quite enjoyable. I plan to grab another bottle and age it for a while, because with time I think this will be truly amazing.

3.28/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a transparent dark golden color with one finger of fluffy white head and moderate to high carbonation evident. Little bit of lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of spices, wine, grapes, yeast, light citrus, and some floral notes.

t - Tastes of wine and grapes, spices, pepper, yeast, fruity malts, and tart apple.

m - Medium body and high carbonation that stings the tongue.

d - A decent beer but not one of the better Vertical Epics. The smell and taste was very wine like, and it was too carbonated. Have another bottle I'll hold until 2012.

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

22 oz bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 9.5% ABV, "Cellar at 55°F or below", no date.

Thanks to cjacobsen for this one in a trade as Stone has recently pulled from my market!

A - Thin powdery sediment floats in the otherwise clear goldenrod-colored brew. A loose off-white head has ok retention but doesn't leave much lace as it lowers.

S - Lemon citrus with white grapes is all over the nose. The chamomile pokes out nicely adding a little spice to the already spicy Belgian yeast aroma. A pinch of bugs in here? I get a very light funk to the nose - slight barnyard and wood. Awesome complexity and depth.

T - Not as complex or deep as the aroma but I like it regardless. Heavier on the chamomile with a bi dry grape flavor impeding on the Belgian yeast a little too much.

M - Medium-bodied, heavily carbonated and spicy with a bitter/spice finish that beckons for another sip. Inviting feel.

D - 10.10.10 asks to be split with it's complex, bold profile but gets better and better with each sip. A good installment in the Vertical series, I think I may pick up another bottle or two for aging next time I'm in Illinois.

A -
clear copper medium to high carbonation pours with a thick white head fades really quick

S -
muscat grape sweet malts

T -
muscat grape sour sweet spice huge malt very slight hop
flavors to me felt mushed together no order

M -
fairly bubbly light on the tongue dries the mouth of a lot

D -
very disapointed with this brew didnt like it at all

Stone 10.10.10 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing