Levitation Ale | Stone Brewing

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by xlperro on 09-27-2002

Reviews: 1,202 | Ratings: 3,885
4.73/5  rDev +21.9%

I am quickly becoming a fan of stone! First of all, I'm not sure how old the bottle was that I bought. If it still has "The Great American Beer Festival Gold Metal Winner 2007" on the neck then it's current. This is just one of those beautifully rounded malt and hops, push and pull, yen and yang if you will. I see me going back and buying more to age a little and try more!!

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

One of my favorite beers!

Appearance: Dark/Burnt Amber Ale w/ slit carbonation, about a finger of head. Beautiful in a pint or tulip glass.

Smell: Floral notes, malt, pine, and mango notes.

Taste: Smooth and refreshing, low abv, floral and mangos notes are still present.

All and all excellent beer!

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hard to believe this is a 4.4 abv beer. All aspects of this beer point to it beeing a slightly lighter version of Arrogant Bastard. Complex flavor, great mouthfeel, awesome aroma, and great drinkability. This is truly a fine choice for a session beer from one of my favorite brewers.

4.69/5  rDev +20.9%

i had the pleasure of trying this beer at the brewery and although it is their lowest alcohol content beer, i must say that it is one of the best amber ales that i've had in a long time, so much that i got a 2L growler to take back to michigan.

what really got me was the hint of saddle wood on the start but then it warmed over to a very nutty beer then a very smooth clean finish with a little bitterness to finish it up. wow, was the expression that comes to mind it was just a lot of moving and shaking for an amber.

well recommended especially for the hot summer months, this brew chilled would be a very refreshing treat during the day.

4.66/5  rDev +20.1%

A: OMG. So much foam, 3 fingers at least of off white thick foam. Foam sticking to the sides of the pint glass. The color is a dark golden and it is cloudy.

S: Sweet malts, bready. Makes my mouth water

T: I didn't get too much hops, just a hint, sweet and malty, like a complex brown ale. One of the most delicious beers I've ever tried. Slight sour notes on the finish.

M: Decent mouthfeel, we'll say medium.

D: Off the charts. This is the best session craft beer in history! Day in and day out, this is my goto beer. I absolutely love it, especially if I am just chillin' and not feeling adventurous or in the mood for a fancier, less drinkable brew.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a dark mahogany with a small head.

The smell is malty with citric hops cutting through. Very juicy aroma.

A big, bold flavor for such a modest ABV. Opens with creamy malts and a hint of smokiness that slowly gives way to rindy hops that linger for a good while after the swallow. Delicious, as expected from Stone.

So much flavor with such a low ABV--it looks like I've found a perfect session beer. Truth is, I'd been wanting to try this and I finally found a sixpack. I'd have rather picked up a single, but after tasting it, I don't mind having another five waiting around. In fact, I'm glad I do.

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is probably my favorite amber ale. It's a shame it's being discontinued. Wonderful citrusy aroma and very nicely balanced. It has a much bigger body than many of the numerous new session ipas around these days. I guess it's designation as an amber sealed it's fate. I rate my beers by style, and I think this is as good as it gets in this category.

4.64/5  rDev +19.6%

Oh man, what a great beer. I'm in the midst of a little six pack sampler so to speak and this was #2 after toasted lager. The sampling is going from light to dark, both in color and taste.
Anyway, knowing stone I thought this would throw off my palate for beers to come... WRONG. What a great little beer from an amazing brewery known for Big Beers.

Appearance is a little dark, copper, brown look.

Smell: Nice and hoppy yet the malt really shines through. You can smell the sweeter malt bill. What is this anyway, an amber? Very unique, but not overbearing like an IPA or hoppy Pale.

Taste: Go try one! Frickin delicious. Full of caramel malts and slightly more carbonated than usual for this style which only benefits the hops and boy do they shine. Very well balanced.

Drinkability: All night baby. This beer goes down easier than that nasty toasted lager. Though I'd stick to Busch for beirut, cause the ladies might just puke around 2 am.

Overall this is a beer that will find its way into my gut again sooner rather than later. I'm glad Stone put out something everyone will enjoy, even my motha.

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

I am very impressed at how balanced this beer is.

A - Poured this beer into a glass, copper brown red ale. Held a nice head that hung in there till the end.

S - A hoppy aroma that carried a nice malt backbone.

T - The smell and taste are well matched with this beer. A great introduction to STONE

M - Great body for a Red, I'm still impressed with how smooth and clean this beer is.

D - I would consider this a nice year around option. Big enough flavor for winter and light enough alcohol for summer (4.4% ABV).

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

A beer that I'm amazed by everytime I drink it. It's delicious, yet affordable. This was actually the first beer I had when I turned 21.

12 oz. bottle poured into Stone Levitation tulip

A: Absolutely gorgeous, deep red hue with tremendous off-white head. Leaves layers of thick lacing on glass. A very inviting beer.

S: Smell is damn good, hops balanced well by malted grains and a hint of citrusy fruit. I'm refreshed just by the scent!

T: Spot on. Using only the basics; barley, hops, water and yeast, Stone manages to craft an incredibly tasty, affordable and refreshing ale. Hops up front and malted barley at the end with a fantastic aftertaste.

M/D: Nice medium body that goes down easy. Low ABV gives this one extraoridnary drinkablillty.

4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

I had this one tap a few nights ago thanks to Stone making a trip by Pazzo's pizza Pub and took some notes.

A. Somewhat dark with a huge and THICK head. The pitcher we got took a good hour to drink as we kind of bought in bulk (everyone had a pitcher) because of how busy they were. After the hour there was still a reasonable head on the pitcher. Simply amazing.

S. Sweet malt and a nice hoppy presence.

T. Do NOT drink this beer cold. As it warms the flavors greatly improve. You can pick up on a nice bit of dry hopping. It reminds me a bit of a rogue red ale that's been dry hopped. The malt has a slight bastard taste to it, but I'm told they aren't even remotely similar in how or what's in them. There is not another beer with this amount of flavor let alone hops at 4.4% ABV.

M. It feels a bit thicker than I guess I expected. It's got a good bit of carbonation and it's very smooth. Perhaps the only place they could do much to improve this beer.

D. It goes down easy as it should. In my mind this would be my go to beer for any social gathering if I could get it in kentucky. It's just amazing.

I've always been a huge fan of stone beer and I've desperately wanted to try this as they don't send it to kentucky or anywhere out east. After trying this I must say this beer NEEDS to make it out here. It may not be their best beer, but it is the craft drinkers light beer, only without that terrible stigma that the macros have created. Now just don't tell Greg I said it. He already chewed me out for it twice :)

best by 06/14/11

pours clear bright copper amber with a huge 2+ finger head that faded to a small film and left some spotted lacing

smells amazing - this must be dry hopped a ton - this has to have a ton of amarillo because if i was blind folded i would have thought this was 3f gumballhead

taste - there is no reason anyone should not give this a perfect 5 - the flavor that is packed into a beer with only 4.4% abv is amazing - tons of ruby red grapefruit flavor upfront and nice bitter ashy hops on the finish - i get that there is little malt but maybe that is why i love it

mouthfeel is light crisp - maybe a little thin but this is only 4.4%

overall - i am very impressed with this and i think i might have found my new go to session beer and beer to give to craft beer newbies to try

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stone Brewing Levitation Ale

Appearance: Dark red, small head with lots of good lacing.

Smell: Strong grapefruit, pear, and other fruits.

Taste: Floral hops, grapefruit, pear, spices.

Mouthfeel: medium-light with a large hoppiness.

Overall:
This is a very good beer. The smell is not like most beer. This is one you shouldn't pass up.

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%

Purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - poured into a dfh snifter.

This beer pours darker than I expected for a low abv.. don't know why I was expecting it to be lighter, i just was. perfect head nice lacing. Smells like BAM hops.. wow.. This is about as hoppy on the nose as the DFH 120 that I had last night. Very dry hop aroma. Taste follows very well as it is a very dry bitter flavor that peels the enamel from ones teeth.. Feels a bit thin though.

Overall this is an awesome low abv beer but it's pricey for a sixer.. more than a stone IPA sixer.. so yeah.. doesn't quite compute really

4.62/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Apperance - An excellent dark brown, through which some line shines. Similar to a nice iced tea color

Smell- A crisp smell that gives you some freshness

Taste - Fantastic. Finishes with an uplifting freshness.

Mouthfeel - Light carbonation, excellently smooth. Feels great

Overall - A very solid beer. A fall beer if ever there was one.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle #3 of the night. Second time in as many days I've had one, just keeps getting better. This beer has got to be the hoppiest 4.4% I've ever had! It's on the nose and palate and goes down so easy as it should. The hops make you believe you should be getting messed up, but the finish is light and refreshing. If stone weren't so expensive, this would be my everyday summer beer. Exceptional!

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

Pours a pretty golden brown in my tasting snifter. Little bit of head, little bit of lacing, but not a lot. Smell is great. Good piney floral hops but not a really strong nose. Taste is exceptional. Really great flavor for such a light and highly drinkable beer. I want this to warm a bit so I can get more subtle flavors, but it goes down so good!! Very thirst quenching an drinkable. Nice hot weather choice. I could drink a 6 right now.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Session Ale of the Gods!

Pours a very deep, dark red with hues of brown.

Smells of a wonderfully balanced crisp red ale malt and a grapefruity west coast hop. Amazingly intense for the size of the beer.

Tastes almost exacty as it smells, amazingly intense for the beer's small size. Perfectly balanced, and superbly drinkable.

This might not be the kind of Xtreme beer that most people would award a high score to, but it is so amazingly crafted that I have no choice but it give it a great grade.

4.58/5  rDev +18%

Wow, what a fantastic looking pale, super deep, dark coppery color thats very hazy and rusty with a thin tan head that faded fast with minimal drippy, spotty lace. Its only fault really as far as appearance. Aroma is a nice mix of roasty malts, dried pretzeled bread, dried hops that has a touch of piney resin and dried wood, maple syrup noted on some bigger wiffs. Taste is outstanding, perfect blend of malts in the front with a superb roastyness thats not overpowering, chewy, or sweet. Hops come in soon there after with a nice dried sense of leaves, pine, resin, bittering is intensely fine and lingers well with a small return in the roastyness of malts showing through. A great backbone in this one. Feel is medium bodied with a nice little hoppy texture in the finish. Finished this one in no time due to it being the only Stone brew I've had thats not in the bomber but in a 12 ouncer. Oh, plus its damn good; smooth, packed with nice flavors and body. Nothing empty about this beer but my glass and bottle- now that I'm done: I wan't another! And at 4.4 ABV this is the epitome of a session brew!

Thanks goes out to xlperro for the bottle!

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a vibrant red and caramel color with a thin, one finger head and great lacing. The amber coloration glows in direct light, making for an incredibly clean and sediment-free liquid.

Aromas remind me of ripe citrus and the tartness of dried fruit. Hop scent is also very present, balancing out some of the strong fruit scents.

Fruit and hop are also the focus when it comes to flavor. Beer is delightfully brisk and very easy to consume. It manages to balance the sweet and the scratchy and it's good to see a light session beer from the usually big beer oriented Stone.

The liquid is extremely smooth and well-balanced, hitting the tongue in one fell swoop with a tiny burst of hop scratch at the end. The mouthfeel and low ABV make this one dangerously drinkable and Stone's ability to walk the line between sweet fruit and strong hop is a delight to behold.

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

From a 12 oz bottle into a belled beer glass in the Belgian style.

First off I would like to point out that I am reviewing this beer as Levitation and not as an amber. Ambers generally suck and this beer does not suck, nor is it particularly malty and it is hoppy in a way ambers are not generally.

Aside from that...

Pours a dark red-amber with a red tinted tan head. The lacing is notable.

Smells are very hoppy. Cirtus and pine along with malty notes.

The taste is sweet, bitter, tart, citrus, grain, grasses...

The mouthfeel is light, crispy and well carbonated.

Drinkability is high. I ma have revisited a strong contender for best session beer ever.

Slainte.

A: POURS A DARK COPPER / THE HEAD REMAINED TILL THE BEER WAS ALMOST GONE

S: VERY MATLY ON THE FRONT / HOPS ON THE BACK

T: CARAMEL ON THE FRONT / FINISHED WITH HOPS & CITRUS / A BIT OF BITTERNESS LEFT ON THE PALATE

M: VERY SMOOTH / WELL MATCHED CARB

D: VERY DRINKABLE

SERVING TYPE: BOTTLE

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

i usually don't look at what others say before i review but i am shocked to see more people don't like this beer i really thought it was outstanding and a real knockout

appearance a nice red ale nice and clear you could see right through it the head looked great too

i thought the aroma was perfect for the style i really like the american red ale and this one had the real nice blend of west coast hops and some sweet malt in there

the taste was the same no letdown same as the aroma perfectly balanced through and through

best part was the mouthfeel really full rich beer without haveing that cloying feeling it was great perfect carbonation in the back end a refreshing beer actually light in the abv but perfect on the way down

overall a great beer i am keeping this one in the fridge when i can for sure

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%

12 oz brown bottle, no freshness date, served in a 16oz mug.

Pours a nice dark amber color with a generous head, even on a gentle pour. As the beer disappears a nice lacing remains both on the surface of the beer and the sides of the glass. An attractive halo of bubbles rings the top of the liquid...an innocence not usually seen in Stone's typically agressive beers.

Smell starts out full of malt sweetness...caramelly, I guess. Soft fruitiness and citrus...ness? (I guess) rise from behind. A bit of spiciness, like black pepper, is subtle but present.

Just gets better from there...wow, this is one complex Amber Ale. Most I've had are very one sided, mostly on the malts, sometimes in an unpleasent way. This is a really perfect balance between the soft sweetness of the malt and a great citrus, spice and grassy presence of the hops. The aftertaste is a great tingly bitterness on the middle of the tongue with orange tastes in the back of the mouth.I love this...

Mouthfeel is full, slick and tingly...full of a nice tight carbonation while staying somehow silky.

In conclusion, while Stone's other beers are highly-held for their wild, in your face flavors (as they deserve to be) this beer deserves attention in it's own right. A fantastic, highly drinkable session beer that is also nicely complex. Being available in six packs is a godsend...I'll be buying this again.

4.54/5  rDev +17%

A deep amber color a very consistent color all the way through. A light tan head forms on top, a half inch high, lacing slowly down the glass. A strong grassy and pine fragrance stands out from the glass. That is followed by a slight sweet malty scent. A bread, malt and cracked grain flavors starts out the taste. That is followed by the grass and pine flavors, bringing a tobacco flavor at the end. A strong grassy hop flavor lingers, long after each taste. A medium bodied feel, that gradually gains weight slightly, finishes with mild dryness. This may be the most hop flavored session beer I have had, period. The colorful and enticing look, along the unforgettable aroma and intense flavor, make this the hop heads choice for a session beer.

Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing