Levitation Ale | Stone Brewing

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by xlperro on 09-27-2002

Ratings: 3,888 |  Reviews: 1,204

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- poured into a pint glass. Beautiful burgundy with a nice, dense tan head. Decent head retention and good lacing. This is a REALLY pretty beer, especially the ruby-red hues when held up to light.

S- balanced on the nose. Earthy hops balanced with bready, caramelly malt; hints of dates and raisins.

T- much more hops than I expected from the nose (not that I'm complaining); good bit of bitterness; same malt flavor as the nose. Very good.

M- Medium mouthfeel; very good carbonation

O- A great beer just on the hop-heavy side of balanced

2.42/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Great looking beer! Pours a nice deep hazy copper with some sentiment present, and a nice frothy off white head. Significant lacing on the glass. Looks like a nice strong iced tea with a fluffy head.

S: Smell is light overall. A little bit of malt and a fair bit of sweetness - almost sugary. I get a smell like a weak, sweetened iced tea.

T: much stronger than the smell, with more hop presence than expected from the nose. Starts out mild and a bit malt-esque, then the hops hit, which linger a bit throughout the sip and into the finish. I get that sweetened tea in the finish as well - it reminds me a bit of sweet tea flavored vodka, but with a hop bite instead of an alcohol bite.

M: Thin given the deep color, overall I'd say on the heavy side of thin, if that makes sense.

O: Dissappointing, overall. I wanted to like this, given the look and low ABV, but it just doesn't deliver. Has that strange bitter hop/sweet taste I just can't get into. Not a drain pour, but I won't be buying or drinking this again soon. More interesting then a macro light lager, but at 3x the price and the same ABV, I'll take a Bud Light.

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Bottle into tumbler.
I got the freshest bottle I could find... BB 6/25/2012

A- Hazy, dark amber pour with a two and a half finger off white head. Lacing is very good.

S- Some floral and citrus hops, there is a touch of strawberry and some fresh baked bread. Slight metallic aroma.

T- Slight metallic taste, floral hops are there but don't shine like in the aroma. Baked bread and a touch of orange rind.

M- Light bodied, slightly chewy. Good carbonation.

O- Every time I head to Buffalo I see this and check the date, I bought this in early July and the BB date is the freshest I've ever seen for this so I took a chance. I'd love to try it fresher but being in Canada and relying solely on Buffalo stores I think this is good as it's going to get...

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

The beer pours an opaque hazy red with a bubbly white head. The smell is light floral hops, very nice. It's very carbonated, a little too much... the hops are in front in the taste just like in the smell, definitely bitter - I guess I shouldn't expect any less from Stone considering their other offerings. I was expecting a little maltiness since this is an amber ale but I can't pick out anything over the hops. It's a supremely drinkable beer, a nice feat considering the hop-packed flavor.

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%