Levitation Ale | Stone Brewing

Added by xlperro on 09-27-2002

Ratings: 3,888 |  Reviews: 1,204

4.5/5  rDev +16%

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured aggressively from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. No visible dates on the bottle.

A: I'd call it more brown than red, but it does have some amber red/orange highlights around the bottom. 1 finger of off-white head has respectable retention and lacing. Lots of sediment visible in this, so I assume it's unfiltered. Hopefully this doesn't cause regrets in the morning.

S: Hops, piney hops. Not too strong or too weak on the nose, doesn't have much depth though and doesn't cause much of a pique in curiosity, smells pretty straightforward.

T: It pretty much tastes like an IPA or APA. Hoppy and piney. Stays consistent throughout the experience, so it finishes the same way it starts. I detect a hint of malts in there to try to counter the hops, but it's not very prevalent. Again, not much depth or character to this one. Maybe a step above average.

M: Light bodied, medium carbonation, a bit watery, not a lot of gravity to this one at all. I half expected it to be a little more full bodied given the large amount of sediment throughout this beer, but it didn't deliver. A peg above average at best.

O: I have really liked almost all of the Stone products I have tried. I think Stone is a fine craft brewery, but this one lacked a lot of character and depth that I've come to expect from Stone brews. I wouldn't say that I'm disappointed in this beer, but it definitely missed the mark and failed to impress. There just isn't anything about this beer that separates it from others of similar styles.

This is not a bad beer, but it's one of the only Stone beers I've tried that I can safely say I will not be likely to purchase again.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

The poured a darker red than expected, but produced a nice off-white head that was well retained and left some lacing. A nice cap remained throughout the beer.

The smell was bready with a stronger than expected piney hops aroma to it.

The taste was good, but I think that the pine hops were a bit overwhelming. Seemed to be overly hoped for an amber/red ale.

The beer had a medium feel to it, good carbonation, clean, crisp and very easy to drink. Overall, while I thought it was a bit hoppy for the style, still a very good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.62/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is light amber, a bit hazy, has a warm off-white head which leaves little lacing but has good curtains.

The smell is malty, toast with loads of citric notes, grape-fruit, lemons and other fruits.

Tasting initially of bread, some raisins, the grapefruit juice and peel.

Medium small carbonation, rather thin and refreshing, a light dry finish.

A bit thinner than expected but in all well done, hoppier than I expect an amber to be.

Levitation Ale from Stone Brewing