Levitation Ale | Stone Brewing

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by xlperro on 09-27-2002

Ratings: 3,888 |  Reviews: 1,204
3.56/5  rDev -8.2%

So I bought a 6pack when Stone hit Chicago, had one of these and didn't think much of it. Tonight I finally sat down to review it and got distracted for 2 hours answering email-- and in that time I had 3 of these. I'm now officially reviewing it (no distractions):

I poured this into my standard pint glass and was actually impressed immediately with the copper color and beige head. It looked deep and clear with some ruby red highlights when held to the light. The color reminds me of the hair color of a girl I dated-- but she ALWAYS called her hair "auburn" and got really pissed if anyone used any other word. The lacing has been leaving thick rings around my glass all night. It really looks spectacular.

The smell of big malts is sweet and thick. It isn't fresh-baked bread, but more of a buttered toast. Then some piney hops cut in and smack you in the face. There is a slight citrus vibe hiding somewhere in here as well.

Taste is quite pleasant. Sweet at first, then a little bitter. Again, it reminds me of that girl I dated... The hops are more noticeable than in other ambers I've had, but it actually works well, because I am in fact a hophead. This isn't the most balanced beer, but I don't really think that is what Stone goes for too often-- and I can respect that. Nice bubbles on this medium body red (again it reminds me of the ex!)... It feels creamy and smooth on the finish, not gritty or chewy, but certainly not a water! The hop oils coat my teeth and remind me a little of smoking a joint.

All in all-- This is highly drinkable. Low ABV makes it sessionable enough (considering I'm finishing my 4th one right now), and the flavor is plenty good. I might buy more of this if only to hand to my Fat Tire drinking buds and hear their opinions.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter for this review.

Color: Deep red hue, almost a dark looking ale unless held to the light. Looks great in the glass.

Smell: Definitely a potent malt front. Slight piny hops characteristics finish off the aroma. Im not very experienced with this type of beer, so my comparisons might not be great, but I get unripened somewhat tart raspberries, maybe some hints at apricot and then of course the pine from the hops.

Taste: Again I get a fruity, smooth tasting beer. The malt is definitely the majority of this beers character but there is a nice hoppy backbone. Hops are more pronounced as the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Lush and invigorating, the flavors blend well to excite a wide range of taste buds. Thick without being chewy or overwhelming.

Drinkability: Very nice to sip on, could easily drink a number of these.

3.24/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance: Deep, dark, red. Virtually no head and very little lacing.

Aroma: A rich malt with strong spice background.

Taste echoes aroma: Strong malt with spicey, piney, hop background. Slightly bitter taste lingers a bit longer than most red ales.

Mouthfeel is good. Smooth and fairly heavy. Perhaps slightly over-carbonated.

Drinkibility is okay but this is a rather rich beer with an ABV on the low side. I can have a few at this sitting but later in the night will want to switch to something a bit less heavy.

Overall, a decent ale.

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Stone Levitation, the misunderstood baby brother of the Stone family. Pours a ruby amber with a creamy red-hued tan head with very good retention and lacing. Aroma is tea-like with a floral nose, grapefruit, toast, and caramel. Tastes of geranium, grapefruit, earth, pine. Finish has more flora, and a dry cookie taste. Medium with a prickly carbonation. I drank this pint well, and will do more in the future. Levitation is a fine, fine beer.

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%

bottle says 2007 Gold Medal Winner in American Red / Amber Beer Category. only once I was finished did I notice a faint "Enjoy by 03 03 10".

A - deep amber, a little hazy. initial head diapates to a thin whispy covering that remains thoughout. slight lacing.

S - floral hops, not much else

T - very hop forward, a tiny bit of malt. clean aftertaste

M - mid to high carbonation. slick

D - could be more balanced. tasting blind I would call it an IPA, not an amber ale. similar to arrogant bastard.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

appearance: nice lacing and reddish-amber color

smell: good whif of citrusy aromas

taste: easy drinking ipa for strength in hop flavor. citrus and pine flavors. Like an IPA light

mouthfeel: light-medum bodied, easy drinkingfor the power of flavor.

drinkability: Been really excited to try this. Whay a great idea. a session beer for real beer lovers have when they don't want to get buzzed. Because I have to work at 6am tomorrow. perfect!

3.88/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

After having this a few times on tap at various spots, I'm finally getting down to rating it (based on a bottle I picked up a couple of weeks ago). Levitation pours a hazy red, with a big, fluffy eggshell head. There are a few spots of lace, here and there, that get left on the glass; the head subsides to a thin layer / ring of creaminess. Smell is dominated by hops: grassy, herbal and hemp are big. Taste has some light caramel malt notes (very light) - the herbal hop character takes center stage. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but what would you expect from a 4.4% brew? Carbonation is a bit high, but seems fitting. Based on the abv, drinkability is up there... The fact that it's a good beer helps, too.

2.87/5  rDev -26%

HURRAAAYY!!!! I no longer have to go to Indiana to get Stone's beers!

What a grand copper and ruby head. This is the gold standard of color and not to mention head and foam for ths style of beer. What an awesome beige and yellow head and thick film of foam along with the fantastic bubbling.

Oily hop resin aroma that really muddies the toasted barley grains. This is a pretty overwhelming hop aroma.

The taste starts very oily and hoppy upfront and through to almost the finish. Just a few caramel and crystal malts and thats about it. This amber ale's flavos and paate is dominated by by oily, resiny tasting and feeling hops.

This would not be a session ale for me.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Body is a ruddy brown/ dark cherry color. Head is beige and rocky and has good stability. Pretty clear. I would guess a decent amount of black malt (roast, choc., patent, etc.), at least a decent amount for the style. Might I predict some roast in the flavor...?

Nice citrusy hop aroma, either one of the 'C's or Amarillo, but definitely that good american piney, citrus, and grass aroma. A little bit of sweet malt (caramel? crystal?) and it seems balanced in the nose.

I seconding Amarillo because this has that same grassy hop taste as gumball head, though not as vegetal. I do get some roast and while it is pleasant up front it is a bit astringent when mixed with the bitterness. I could have enjoyed this one with slightly less roast, but it does balance the big hoppiness and that is what separates the hop flavor in this brew from that of gumball head, its unique malt - hop balance.

Actually kind of thin for me. I know that the abv is low, but there are things you can do without adding too much, if any, flavor. Carbonation is good, but the bitterness is too dry for my taste.

A great beer. I'm in the CHI and we just got some Stone distribution, like, this week, so I'm pretty psyched about this while trying to review objectively. A little less roast, a little more body, but hey, I'm not complaining.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

Enjoy by date - 6/01/10.

A-Pours a ruddy amber with two finger head. This beer leaves really nice lacing.

S- Pine and grapefruit with a spicy, woody character and some caramel malt.

T-Piny and spicy notes upfront with a nice balanced caramel middle and a dry, bitter grapefruit finish.

M-Medium bodied with very subdued carbonation. I really like how this one feels.

D-I have a really hard time drinking these slowly. Really nice, flavorful, and thirst-quenching. Stone came to Chicago just in time for summer, and I have a feeling this will be a go to beer for me in the upcoming warmer months.

4.3/5  rDev +10.8%

355ml bottle at Bar Volo in Toronto, ON. Pours a burgundy red hue with dark ruby edges, two fingers of cream coloured, off-white head, and speckles of lacing on the flute glass. Smell and taste are strong citrus, tangerine, and clementine, slight yeastiness, pink grapefruit, burnt caramel, light nuttiness, toast, and a bold hop bitterness to finish. So much flavour for such a light beer, very impressive. Mouthfeel is medium, lush and slick, spicy hop punch mid-body, lingering dryness with a mildly citric aftertaste. The ideal session beer. If this were available in Ontario stores, it would never leave my fridge.

3.33/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a deep copper color with a light tan head, which is a good 2 fingers and rather resilient.

Smell is good, not wonderful. Theres a slight bit of citrus in the nose, along with a somewhat metallic tinge. Faint malts and hops in the background.

Taste is a little more predominant than the smell. Slightly citrus and woodsy, less on the metallic tinge, but hop presence was a bit lacking than I would have liked to see...if in fact this is a red. I find the "amber/red" classification to be a bit conflicting, as I see the ambers as more malty and sweet, and the reds with a more defining hop character. Oxymoronish I suppose. Oh well, I see the hop base more in this brew, so I think the red is more fitting.

Lower medium body, as it should. No complaints, from me.

I have to assume this is the lowest ABV beer stone makes, so theres major drinkability to it. It's tasty too, so that helps.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A - A real redish brow pout with a very nice off-white head that stuck around for a bit.

S - Really big hop aroma, citrusy grapefruit, and a little piney. Some caramel malts underneath.

T - Sweetness comes from the malts, I get hit with bitter pine and grapefruit right off the bad. There was a huge bitter bite that stung on the end of this at first. Nice hop profile that fades a bit as you drink it.

M - Little too thin, but pretty good, nice carbonation works well.

D - Somewhat harder to drink than expected for something with such low ABV. Maybe it's just the stronger than expected flavors.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass that is similar to an Imperial Pint.

Appearance: Fairly dark amber with decent sized head and some lacing.

Smell: Huge grapefruit aroma with traces of spice and malt.

Taste: Mostly grapefruit hops (and some pine) and tea-like and caramel malts. Long, lingering bitter and tart finish.

Feel: Moderately low carbonation, relatively light body. Quite firm and very dry, similar to an English Bitter.

Drinkability: Huge flavor for such a low abv ale. Not really what I would think of as an Amber Ale - seems more like a very bitter, American hop version of an English Bitter. Very tasty and sessionable due to the low alcohol, but the bitterness and tartness is off-putting for the light body and hampers drinkability.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

A nice red in color with a big foamy off-white head.

It has that trademark Stone hop aroma, though a bit lighter than, say, Arrogant Bastard.

The taste is lighter, but far from weak. Nice notes of bread and toast mix with citrus hop flavors and a big bitterness.

The body is also light, but not watery.

This is one of the weakest (in terms of alcohol) beers I've had since my trip to Salt Lake City. But it's a good one.

This is a session beer for hopheads.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

A - Dark amber pour. Thin to medium tan head that had medium staying power.

S - Beautiful American hop aroma: very citrusy with undertones of caramel sweetness.

T - Taste is very pleasant and predictable for a Stone ale. Sweet malts are rather subdued though. Not as aggressive as most of their other offerings, although I will say that the hops profile is very pronounced.

M - Medium carbonation with a rather watery texture. I am wondering how old this beer is. I bought it as a single bottle, so I don't know the brew date. But it tastes a little flat. Oh well, I will try another one in the near future and see how it goes.

D - It is very drinkable, but in the same way that a lot of other mediocre beers are: you can drink a lot before tiring. A good but not great beer.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a translucent reddish copper with a 1-finger off-white head. Moderate lacing.

The smell is strong of piney and grapefruity hops with hints of spices, coffee, and tobacco. The taste is bitter pine and grapefruit hops with just a little wood and tobacco. Mouthfeel is carbonated, crisp & kind of deadens the mouth, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Very sessionable. The hops are quite strong. This reminds me of a DIPA in taste and smell.

I was surprised to see Stone make a smaller session beer, especially after being reared on Arrogant Bastard and Ruination in my early days of craft. But I still felt compelled to see if they could succeed on this one, to see if they truly were a well rounded brewery. Here's my take:

A- pours a clear dark copper hue with great lace and retention from it's off-white head

S- hoppy and spiced up front joined by caramel malt

T- hoppy yet balanced, this could topple many reds twice it's size with juicy pine and citrus notes all throughout

M- coats your tongue and throat wonderfully, holding in all the flavor

D- another winner from Stone! one of the best light beers I've ever tried

4.46/5  rDev +14.9%

A: Amber in the finest since of the word with a perfect 1 finger head and some of the best lacing I've seen all the way down the pint glass. This beer was crystal clear and looked perfect!

S: Big hop aroma of the earthy, woodsy, piney variety. there is a nice floral complexity as well. Deep in the background there is a malty, yeasty bread character and a subtle sweetness

T: THe hops are at the forefront with a character spot on with the aroma, there is more malt in the flavor than the aroma however. here you get a good caramel character coming through.

M: good "meaty" body, almost chewy at some points. pleasantly surprising as it combined with a dry finish

D: Could have had this one all night. I found this beer to be one of the more enjoyable beers I've had, not technically flawless but it was just fantastic. The dry finish with the wonderful ballance of hops and malt allows you to drink several.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance - Beautiful clingy off-white head that sits nicely on top of a deep reddish brown body.

Smell - A lot of hops in the nose. Juicy grapefruit, lemon peel, and floral aromas. Very pungent smell, but in a good way.

Taste - The taste follows the nose although it is not quite as strong as the nose would let on but is still dominated by citrus hops. Tastes like a slightly subdued version of their IPA. I am also picking up a slight toasted flavor at the back as the beer warms.

Mouth Feel - Light body with a good balance between flavor and carbonation. Leaves the mouth feeling dry and begging for another sip.

Drinkability - Bought this as a single and am very pleased. At 4.4% abv this beer has loads of wonderful flavor and goes down smoothly. As this is only my second brew from Stone this beer has me hooked on trying their other beers. Great color, inviting aroma, the taste to match, and easy drinking.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from bottle into Pilsner Glass.

Appearance: Rust water brown, off white head about 2.5 fingers.

Smells of citrus and hops, lots of grapefruit accents, sugar, lemongrass. Nice floral smell.

Tastes of grapefruit, grape candy, hops, bakers chocolate, and Green Apple.

The mouthfeel is nice, good balance of carbonation and taste, nice thin mouthfeel with good drinkability. It drinks like water, be careful. Only comes in at 4.4% ABV so its a good session beer for sure, reasonably cheap too.

I definately recommend this brew to anyone, nice and refreshing, high drinkability.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

$2.20 for a single at Jacks. 4.4% ABV, 45 IBU. Hopped with Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe, and Crystal. Dry hopped with Amarillo.

Pours out to a slightly hazy garnet, forming a tall light tan head with yellow accents, with cery good retention and solid sheets of lacing. Moderately carbonated. The aroma is wonderful, full of fresh spicy green hops with tropical fruit overtones of mango, pineapple, pine and skunkweed up front, followed by nice toasted malts, grainy malt husk, and when swirled, I get light roast coffee and milk chocolate. Wonderful nose. The mouthfeel is fresh, crisp, light bodied, with a dry finish and hoppy acidity. The taste is essentially a recap of the aroma with a big hop profile up front carried through nicely by the malts. Certainly more hoppy than malty, but still with nice malt character. The coffee and chocolate in the nose is overwhelmed by the hops, so I'm not tasting it, sadly. Again, the finish is dry, and the aftertaste is one of pine, toast, and subtle tobacco.

This is a very good beer. It will be great during the summer when you want something crisp, light, and without much alcohol, but also full flavored and hoppy. I would buy this again for sure. Recommended.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

The body is a clear, deep rust color. The head was about 1/2", great retention, and left a little bit of residual lacing at the top, but it thins as the glass gets deeper.

The smell is weak. Coming from Stone, it's a little disappointing. I pick up grain, some bread, and a light leafy hop. I really had to bury my face in the glass to get a good whiff.

The taste makes up for the scent. It's somewhat heavy on the malt, biscuit and toffee. The hops are earthy and grassy. There's a little bit of pine there, too. It's like taking a bite of Mother Earth.

The body is light in texture, heavily carbonated, and finishes extremely dry.

For such a low abv and lighter body, this has some well defined flavor. This would make for a great session brew.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Pours a clear reddish brown with a nice 1/2" fluffy cap, laces nicely as the level drops.
Aroma is floral hops and fresh bread
Taste is hop bitterness up front, citrus and grass with a weak malt backbone, dry astringent on the aftertaste
Refreshing and easy to drink, the ABV is just right for a quaffer
Not as in your face as the Arrogant Bastard, a nice afternoon quaffer thirst quencher
Very Good brew!

3.92/5  rDev +1%

pours a unique red amber. an offwhite, foamy one finger thick head.
smells rich, bittering hops are in the mix. floral aroma, earthy aroma too.
this is a red ale that has an IPA character in it too. very flavorful.
mouthfeel is just alright. some aftertaste that isnt working with me.
this is by far the most flavorful and aromatic beer for this abv level.
cost 10.99 for the sixpack... not crazy about that