Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

Liked:
3.5/5
Alströms:

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

A - Pours with half a finger of orange-tan head on an opaque, black body. The foam disappears quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S - Earthy notes of chocolate and licorice with a bit of clove. Surprisingly little else, maybe a little molasses but that's about it.

T - Dark sugar notes up front with lots of molasses and brown sugar as well as some licorice. Some slightly fruity notes of cherry and red apple in the middle as well as a bit of tobacco. The dark sugar dominates the finish and the anise is right there with it in a sort of charred, woody way.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a somewhat dry finish.

D - To be honest, this sounded a lot better than it turned out to be. The anise works with the dark malt in a strange way that makes it come off more like licorice with a very dark, syrupy character rather than the bright, spicy notes I would normally expect. The Belgian yeast character is kind of subdued and only contributes a few fruity apple and cherry notes in the middle. The oak is really the last straw as it gives the beer an astringent harshness in the finish and contributes to the burnt character of the molasses notes. It isn't quite a drain pour, but it is pretty disappointing and I definitely won't be drinking this beer again.

3.92/5  rDev +12%

Truly one of the most memorable beers of the last couple of years. Very dark but more dark golden brown than black. A nice spritziness with a decent beige head. Thick bodied, though not as syrupy as a Barleywine.

Sweet with a candy and fruity flavor. The anise taste is like a liqueur. I don't even like licorice but I find this very drinkable in a totally off-beat way. Loads of dark malt, a touch of burnt sugar, caramel. But also sharp and tart in a fruity way.

I am not a big fan of Stone brews, but this one is audacious enough-- but well made-- to be likeable.

2.62/5  rDev -25.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into y CBS snifter. It poured black in color with a frothy tan head barely covering the top of the beer.

The aroma has a strong anise presence. It has more of a bubble gum, fruity, licorice flavor that I don't think works for it at all. I get a little dark, roasted malts to it, but the anise is overwhelming in it.

The taste also unfortunately is dominated by the anise. I get a some vanilla to it up front and some roasty, bitter malts in the finish. The anise is too much for me though.

The mouthfeel is heavy and somewhat creamy. Carbonation is moderate for the style. Overall I just didn't find to be a very good beer. The anise was just too dominating and covered up too much of the IRS flavors. It just didn't work for me.

4.43/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A – Nice dark khaki head with low retention and lace. Dark brown body with cola highlights.

S – Liquorish, vanilla, root beer, burnt marshmallow, chocolate nougat, gingerbread, and a light coffee note.

T – Dark liquorish with a creamy, delicious, 70% cocoa. Root beer and vanilla center. The root beer transitions into a ginger-like spiciness as oak builds through the backend.

M – Medium body with a spicy sweet finish.

O – Fantastic complexity. The flavors are potent, but if you’re a fan of them you’ll love this beer.

3.67/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours mahogany/black with a pinky of brown colored head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Dark fruit, cocoa, a little anise

T: Molasses, plums, carob& dryness up front, some cherry boozeyness & leafy hops. Molasses, stone fruit & ainise as this warms with a touch of oakyness. Finishes with cherry, oaky notes, booze warmth & a bit more molasses & carob, plus just a bit caramel, chicory & oddly; cayenne pepper

MF: Medium bodied, firm carbonation, somewhat slick

This is a quirky kind of RIS, but I do think that Stone's claims of historical accuracy are valid. Many years ago I tried courage RIS in England, this reminds me of that beer in many ways. I prefer the "Americanized versions, but this is interesting & good enough I would buy again

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

Dark brown where light only passes through the glass edge. Tan head that settles to a single layer of bubbles. Leaves ring lace after each sip.

Dark malt aroma with a light tinge of licorice. No coffee or dark chocolate smells.

Imagine Good-n-Plenty dissolved in a dry porter. It doesn't have any of the burnt elements of a Stout. I'm fascinated by the taste--this unlike any beer I've ever had. So, I have to give it points for originality. The main taste and the aftertaste is mostly licorice (anise). Thinner than most stouts.

Worthy of a try because it is a very different beer.

3.53/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a deep black color, very dark with no color tinges at all. A very small tan head formed on top with a little bit of retention, but eventually there was nothing on top. Left behind wisps of thin lacing.

S: A surprising amount of cocoa on the nose with some roast and a little bit of licorice. There is a touch of molasses and a hint of dark fruit.

T: Again, quite chocolaty - surprisingly so. There is some coffee and more licorice and the anise comes through a little bit. Slight hop presence on the back end. Really, much better than expected.

M: Full bodied with medium carbonation. It is rather oily and slick with a dry finish.

O: Compared to what I had heard about this beer, I liked it a good bit. For being rather fresh, the usual harshness was gone and was replaced with lots of chocolate. Prefer the regular RIS to this for sure, but not bad at all.

4.08/5  rDev +16.6%

dark brown color and a light bit of foam coming up and over the top of the glass. Settling down quickly it left a little lace along the sides and a touch of light shining through on the bottom keeping it from being completely black. Aroma of deep, sweet chocolate dominates here, rich with overtones of coffee and rich malted goodness. Interesting mix of aromas here, full with warming bringing out a touch of brown sugar. Smooth, easy sipper. Rich warming chocolate covers the palate and a nice back splash of hops dries you out and leaves you looking for the next sip. Complex, smooth and light enough to be enjoyed thoroughly. Not the best I have had but it certainly held its own.

3.43/5  rDev -2%

I appreciate Stone's willingness to go against the trends with a spice that is not used as frequently which is my disclaimer...however I guess it has to be a spice you are very fond of.

A dark black looking stout with thick cream of light brown -looks good with tight bead and opaque clarity, lace sticks okay. The smell is where I don't really enjoy the beer as much -the first sense of it going awry anyway. I am not much of a fan of black licorice which is exactly what this smells like-black twizzlers ugh. The feel is okay but a bit clean with the spice erasing the sense of malt and leaving the palate a little too cool for the style I am supposed to be enjoying it is like a medicinal almost minty quality which seems like a natural mouthwash or witchhazel maybe.

The flavor is good but the anise comes into the flavor of the stout midway and just overtakes any flavor of coffee or oak or vanilla or caramel that you wish you would be tasting or might get in the original. The taste is almost like rootbeer it is so herbal and earthy as one of my compatriots mentioned during our tasting. I suppose if I were a huge fan on Anise I would be in love with the taste. I am not so pissed that I would dump this or stop drinking it but feel like the original beer has suffered by the heavy handed anise addition. I guess the review already gives you an idea why I gave the overall score of 3 -it is flavor I personally find to detract from the overall enjoyment of the stout so buyer beware.

3.19/5  rDev -8.9%

Had a bottle of this in my fridge for a few months, finally decided to crack it on this cool fall night. Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into my DFH tulip.

a - Pours a near black color with one finger of dark tan head and moderate carbonation evident.. Head lasts for several minutes with an inch lasting throughout drinking, and a little bit of lacing left on the glass. Looks amazing, and just like the normal Imperial Russian Stone.

s - Smells strongly of anise and black licorice, as expected. Also smells of roasted malts, light chocolate, coffee, and dark fruits. The anise dominates the nose.

t - Tastes of black licorice and anise again, followed by alcohol, roasted malts, bitter chocolate, and bitter coffee. Again, the anise dominates, and the alcohol comes through more than the normal IRS.

m - Full bodied stout and moderate carbonation evident. Thick and creamy, with a little alcohol heat, but good for a big stout.

o - Overall not a porrly made stout, but not for me. I must admit I am not the biggest anise fan, but Stone's IRS is one of my favorite RIS' I've ever had, so I had to try this one. The anise is just so powerful, even after several months, that I couldn't enjoy it as much as I would have liked. Wouldn't buy it again but if you like anise, this would probably be worth picking up.

2.89/5  rDev -17.4%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Inky black with a khaki collar and a few islands of foam.

Smell - Black licorice. Sweet. Faint chocolate. Train wreck of a smell. I keep going back for more whiffs even though it's terrible.

Taste - Fruity. Anise is strong, amplifying the fruity flavors. Chocolate and bitter aftertaste. Not anywhere near as bad as the taste.

Mouthfeel - Lots of fruit without being overly sweet though. A lingering anise flavor. Not too boozy.

Overall - It's not awful, but the anise is a huge detractor. I expected something unpalatable from the reviews.

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

On-tap at Provisions

A: The beer pours essentially black with a finger of off-white head.

S: Huge licorice aroma is there, but I expected as much. Lots of roasted malts as well. A little bit of vanilla and graham cracker sweetness, but they're shortly overwhelmed by the anise.

T: Like with the nose, big time roast and anise character. A mild vanilla note and some definite booze. Lightly bitter with a touch of molasses, dark chocolate, and coffee. The licorice flavor is just invasive.

M: Medium to full in body with a smooth, medium carbonation.

O: Just way too much anise flavor. Almost like drinking Jagermeister.

3.47/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Thanks to Florida9 for sharing this bottle!

It's not like Kirk was reticent to relieve himself of the bottle, either, so I was all set to see how this fared against his negative comments. It pours a deep black-brown topped by a finger of tan foam. The nose comprises black licorice, roasted malts, blackened pretzels, and light chocolate. So far, not too bad, but also not as good as the normal RIS either. The taste brings in more of the same, with the roast and anise characters amped up a bit. The body is a straight medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda chewy feel. Overall, this stuff ain't so bad, bud it just doesn't stack up to the normal RIS. It's thinner than it ought to be, and while the anise character isn't offensive, it doesn't quite jive all that well with everything else (like I've seen elsewhere).

3.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a solid black with a giant tan head that sticks around forever and all over the glass. Smells of chocolate and anise right up front. Dark caramel, roasted grains and spicy Belgian yeast esters in there as well. The licorice/anise aroma is quite strong in this one. Taste is licorice/anise and milk chocolate initially. Roasted grains and dark caramel are in there as well. A hint of alcohol midway through then a long lingering dark chocolate and anise in the finish. Creamy and bubbly mouthfeel, spirited level of carbonation with a thick body. I didn't really find any of the oak but then again I was assaulted by black licorice. I thought this was only ok as is, I wonder how this will age.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%