Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout | Stone Brewing

stonebrewing.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by EgadBananas on 05-23-2011

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

22oz, poured into a pint glass...

I'm looking forward to trying and reviewing this beer, having had the regular Imperial Russian Stout by Stone Brewing Company. I wonder what the anise will add to it. Here we go...

A: Good looking stout, just like its sister; beautiful dark chocolate in color, with a 3cm caramel colored head that lasts for just around two minutes.

S: Smells really, really good - coffee, dark chocolate, orange, a little spice. I can't wait to drink it. I'm almost afraid that it might not live up to the hype.

T: My fears were unfounded - this is a great tasing stout. All flavors are confirmed, and balanced well for a Russian Imperial Stout. The anise flavor is a welcome touch, not overdone, just right.

M: Better than great, almost spectacular. Medium in body, well carbonated, rolls over the palate beautifully, with a spicy, ever so slightly piney finish.

O: These guys at Stone sure know what they're doing when it comes to making beer, especially RIS. It went perfectly with my leftover fried chicken. Great Beer.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

appearance: deep dark brown nearly black, nice dark brown head retention

smell: coffee, loaded chocolate, and some herbal sweet spice

taste: tons of dark raw chocolate, mixed with an abundant licorice flavor. It's big, but not over done. I loved it.

mouthfeel: full bodied

drinkability: I know other don't agree, but I love this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +28.2%

I was at the liquor store and saw this on the shelf. So I decided to buy it. I drank it in a pint glass at room temp. It was a good purchase.

This beer taste great. It has all the flavors of the original but with an added complexity and thickness from the oak chips and anise. The Belgian yeast strain adds yet another layer of depth. But I prefer the house yeast in this beer. Nice full body. Good stuff.

Great looking beer.

4.47/5  rDev +27.4%

I reviewed this years batch of standard Stone IRS and this one looks just the same--maybe the head was slightly darker, for sure the head dissipated more quickly. The smell is sweet Sambuca. Somehow the alcohol heat that is so powerful in the aroma of the standard version is hidden or absent in this variant. The taste is definitely different from the standard brew, too. The Belgian yeast seems to have brought out more chocolate and coffee from the malt--this one is the sweeter of the two by a clear margin. The anise is clear and distinct without being overwhelming. I love Sambuca and I love this beer, too. I'm giving myself a genius award for pairing it with Indian food. I win!

Belgo Anise Imperial Russian Stout from Stone Brewing