Japanese Green Tea IPA

SCORE
Very Good
Japanese Green Tea IPAJapanese Green Tea IPA
Notes: Collaboration with Baird Brewing Company & Ishii Brewing Co

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.

Rated: 3.71 by DruC4 from Michigan

Sep 24, 2022

Rated: 4.22 by dbell23 from Tennessee

Aug 10, 2022
Rated by rpw from New York

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%
Bought a case of 24 cans on clearance for $12.99. They're about 6 weeks past the enjoy by date, but hey I'm stoked!
Aug 09, 2022

Rated: 3.98 by Cfitty from New York

Jul 23, 2022
Reviewed by ZebulonXZogg from Illinois

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
Pours an almost clear golden amber color, decent eggshell colored head fades quickly and leaves a moderately laced glass. Pine and bitter hops, typical old school Stone, taste was there, but I didn't get any green tea. Pretty solid IPA though.
Jul 04, 2022
Rated by Danzifer from Ohio

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25
These things get you ****ed up!
Jun 27, 2022
Reviewed by LifesAnesthesia from Virginia

4.43/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
L - Golden with some hazy to it with an off white head that dissipates somewhat quickly leaving behind some lacing
S - bright juicy, piney, bitter hops along with some floral and herby and earthy notes
T - Bright juicy, piney, bitter hops up front and throughout with notes citrus and malt intermixed well with notes of herbal green tea on the back end - some caramel in there as well
F - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation
O - A pretty interesting brew - wish there was slightly more green tea flavor, but it's delicate enough to be appreciated
Jun 11, 2022

Rated: 3.85 by steevo24 from District of Columbia

Jun 03, 2022
Reviewed by DrDemento456 from Pennsylvania

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25
Was happy to get hold of this never really found the bombers and cans seem to always be a better deal. Smell is herbal hops some sweet malts taste about the same really smooth more fruit forward profile but I couldn't really taste any tea flavors. Still not a bad IPA if I find it again I might pick it up especially for the price
May 13, 2022
Reviewed by NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.93/5  rDev 0%
Stone Brewing "Japanese Green Tea IPA"
12 fl. oz. can "Packaged 02/24/22 Enjoy By 06/24/22 13:47 R". Sampled on 05/12/22.
$3.79 @ Total Wine & More, Cherry Hill, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: I thought I'd had this beer before and looking at the label I see it was brewed in 2011. I remember thinking that it was interesting back then but that it didn't blow me away. Let's see how this version is. It's a hazy deep gold beneath a full head of off-white foam. The aroma is limited, and doesn't display any clear green tea notes. There's some, but not much. Perhaps this is past its prime despite still being "in code". It's sweetish, malty, grassy, earthy, lightly floral, delicately citrusy, otherwise fruity (apples), and subtly piney. On to the taste... well there's more green tea there but it's still hard to pick out amidst the other flavors. It's herbal, earthy, woody - almost cedar-like, and only then grassy. The fruits are jumbled together. I'm still finding apple, but not so much citrus, and more of a kind of nectarine, guava, and mango thing. I mostly get the green tea in the aftertaste. It's got a solid bitterness to it that balances the sweet malt leaving it dry but not sharply dry. The alcohol is noticeable but not overt. To make sure that I'm not losing my mind I've pulled out some Japanese green tea, nothing strange just your ordinary Bancha. The whole leaves (processed, of course) are bright, grassy, floral, and a touch woody and earthy. Ehh, maybe I was wrong. All of those things are there, I just don't get that whole, rounded green tea flavor. Or am I thinking artificial green tea flavor? I think I am because I recall some time ago making a fresh pot and thinking that it was much different than you find in green tea flavored items like ice cream or Kit Kat bars. Anyway... where was I? Ahh, the head. The head dropped to a finger's width and held for a short period and then dwindled. It fell to just an island of thin surface covering and a standard collar, and it didn't leave a whole lot of lacing behind. In the mouth it's medium bodied but dextrinous, and gently crisp-then-smooth. This must be a pretty big beer to begin with to get that after you've fermented it out to 10.1% ABV. In the end I think I have to go back to what I originally remember thinking of this beer, that it's unique and interesting but that it doesn't quite live up to my expectations of what it would be. That's on me though as it is still a good beer.
Review #7,964
May 12, 2022
Reviewed by Beaver13 from Colorado

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%
12 oz can, canned 2/24/22. Pours slightly hazy golden orange with a big fluffy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet floral malt and minty tea with some hops.

The flavor is sweet bready malt with a little fruit and some minty tea hops and the alcohol is not obvious. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, an interesting IPA.
May 05, 2022
Reviewed by Bouleboubier from New Jersey

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4
(12 oz can, enjoy by 06/24/22; purchased single off shelf... poured into my Chouffe tulip)

L: brilliantly-clear, amber liquid; fizzy, fleeting foam... after a few sips, virtually no collar remains; only a couple scratches of lace

S: no overt tea notes, but plenty of sweety-malty booze and Skittles-like fruity-candy hops; excellent expression and intensity... little more than halfway through, and it's just a mess of spice, herbacity, hard candy, and tonic spirits

T: certainly a curious herbal, vaguely fresh oregano note nestled in the dense, spicy hop-tincure grove; spicy capsicum, ethanol -stretched aftertaste... cinnamon bubblegum essence when I burped... lingering background toasted-caramel highlight... would love for this to have been more bitter (from the tea)

F: rounded, silky-resinous touch... the booze and spice warms to a superb degree, not harsh or wild... exceptionally light residuals; near absence of tactile viscosity

O: had one yesterday during a mini-session and it made little impression... today, I'm more tuned into its subtle nuances and, while it's bold and impactful, it's not coming across as all it could be (way too filtered) (1882)
May 04, 2022

Rated: 3.88 by bpkrippner from Missouri

May 02, 2022
Reviewed by NiceTaps from New Jersey

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%
On tap, 12 ounce serving.

See through golden orange color with a tight creamy cap.

Super fresh green tea aroma. Light earthiness pine, and citrus aromas.

Flavors come as tropical fruit mixed with green tea.

Smooth and full feel. The abv is noticeable upfront then mellows a bit. 75 ibus kick in.

Craft, extreme, good, and different. At 10.1% abv, it goes down easy.
Apr 27, 2022

Reviewed by DefenCorps from Oregon

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Can from Uptown Market. 2022 release

A clear orange with a dense, white head with good retention and lacing. The nose has a blend of hops, malt and a clear green tea character. There's pine and citrus, a moderate caramel malt but overall, though, the green tea dominates. The palate opens boozy and bitter with grapefruit rind, bitter melon, pine followed by green tea notes, floral and tannic. The mid-palate has flavors of caramel malt and candied grapefruit. Bitter, clean, mildly sweet on the finish. Decent.
Apr 18, 2022
Reviewed by Mark-Leggett from Missouri

4.76/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75
Had on tap. Golden in color with a good sized head and good lacing. Smells of tropical fruit, pine, malt and grain. Flavors match the smell, not really getting green tea but the flavor is really good.
Apr 18, 2022
Reviewed by gordongarlic

Goes down like water - prolly why old lady got mad at me later lol

But this my fav stone ever for being so unstonelike ie not syrupy and sweet like in their other higher booze beers

And it is very tea-like in its clean and smooth flavor. Outstanding stuff
Apr 17, 2022
Reviewed by teromous from Virginia

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
From the bottom of the can: "Packaged 02/24/22 Enjoy By 06/24/22 16:15P"

Appearance: The body is perfectly, brilliantly, crystal clear with a fiery gold color and a medium-large sized head that rests perfectly at medium in the glass. The head is white and fluffy with great retention. Nice cloud formations of lacing on the glass. It looks perfect.

Aroma: There are notes of candied orange at first, then a wildflower aroma creeps in and starts to dominate. Hints of ginger on the nose. It has a very intriguing aroma.

Taste: Up front it tastes of candied orange peel and a light dusty caramel flavor. Towards the middle of the mouth there is a bit of peach and oddly a bit of a shrimp flavor. A bit of grapefruit and caramel on the back of the palate and grapefruit in the aftertaste with a bit of what tastes like white oak.

Mouthfeel: It feels medium trending a bit towards medium-light in body with a noticeable slickness giving it a somewhat syrupy texture. Bitterness is high. Carbonation feels ok but it always feels at odds with the syrupy nature of the beer.

Overall: The can says "JAPANESE GREEN TEA IPA" and that it is an "INDIA PALE ALE WITH GREEN TEA." At no point does green tea ever come into the picture on this beer. It never shows up in the aroma or the flavor. It is pretty disappointing that the namesake would be missing such a critical component. What is even odder is that the beer doesn't taste particularly herbal at all; it has a more citrus-forward note with what tastes and smells like candied orange peel. The beer is still very good and it would make a really nice alternative to an East Coast Imperial IPA but it seems to significantly miss the brewer's intent. I could drink it again, knowing now what it is, but it wouldn't be something I would recommend to a green tea lover. It would be something I would recommend to an East Coast IPA lover.
Apr 15, 2022

Rated: 4.25 by paulish from New York

Apr 13, 2022

Rated: 3.74 by khargro2 from Tennessee

Apr 09, 2022
Reviewed by qjholler from New Mexico

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25
A: Nice cupric gold color to the body. The off-white head holds its shape rather well. Crystal-clear. Fairly standard (WC)IPA look.

S: I've had a stuffy nose for like a month straight but I'll give this my best shot. Not a ton of aroma to speak of (maybe more my fault than the beer's). I get some clean, spicy/piney hop notes. Not much malt, no green tea at all.

T: Way more going on here than the aroma let on. The hops are there, as in the nose, but the character quickly shifts towards the bitter side of piney. The tea melds with the hops and adds an almost ineffable quality to the herbal side of the taste. It's strange - I almost taste something akin to cherry cough medicine, but in a good way? Never thought I would type that about any beer, let alone an IPA. There is a nice balancing note of caramel malt that grows as the flavor develops. I'm left with a very long-lingering bitterness that is quite strong, but not unpleasant. A very interesting evolution of flavor. It probably won't be everyone's cup of tea (hah), but I'm a fan.

M: Medium body. The rather dry finish is amplified by the prolonged bitterness. Carbonation is appropriately unobtrusive. The heat from the alcohol is minimal, especially given the strength.

O: A unique beer - it's fun to drink and it offers something that really isn't available otherwise (afaik, anyway). If you like green tea and strong WCIPAs, I imagine you'll enjoy this. I don't see myself seeking it out, but if I happen across it again, I'd be happy to pick up a can or bottle.
Apr 09, 2022
Reviewed by MarshalLovesBeer

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25
This IPA pours a very deep honey color; head doesn’t hold up for long and not really any lacing; smell definitely is herbal along with the green tea; taste is very herbal and quite piney. Very warming astringency that lingers on your tongue after the sip. For what this beer is—a strong IPA brewed with green tea—it is still fairly well-balanced at 10.1% ABV; the ABV is still pretty well-hidden; however, I’ve recently had a better tasting IPA (a triple IPA) at an even higher ABV. I liked my first couple of cans of this from my first 6-pack and I was impressed enough that I immediately went out soon after and bought two more 6-pack cans. I then grew pretty tired of it fairly quickly and now I wish I didn’t buy two more 6-packs. However, it’s still a drinkable beer and I’m still going to finish off the rest of the cans I bought since it still packs a nice punch. The herbal taste kind of reminds me of Stone’s Ruination Double IPA 2.0 Sans Filtre, but I prefer this beer over the Ruination.
Mar 28, 2022
Reviewed by ilikebeer03 from Texas

4.16/5  rDev +5.9%
pour is crystal clear light copper. dense two fingers of head with decent retention. Retention could be improved; a bit of lacing. But overall a really beautiful beer in terms of color and clarity. Appearance definitely invites a sip!
Nose is pungent grapefruit, ripe mango, tropical fruit, floral.
Taste is grapefruit rind, subtly astringent green tea, tropical fruit, mango. firm bitterness. hint of supporting caramel malt on the finish. alcohol is well hidden. A bit of resinous hop character emerges as the beer warms.
clean and crisp beer with a dry finish. lingering grapefruit bitterness. easy to drink. not overly sweet
Mar 25, 2022

Rated: 4.16 by AmeriCanadian from Tennessee

Rated: 4.17 by o29 from Texas

Reviewed by BillAfromSoCal from California

3.56/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Initially pours a clear, bright golden orange with about 3/4 finger of nice white head in a tall tulip glass, but that all goes away pretty quickly leaving almost zero foam and no lacing; just a puddle of gold/orange fluid. Smells and tastes as advertised, but to me this is no less a novelty beer than some graham cracker/fudge/marshmallow desert stout made with fake flavoring. Ya, I get the herbaceous smell and flavor but so what? Its what happens when you put vegetation into the beer. To me the hoppy bitterness is weird with the tea overtones and there is no inherent richness or body to suggest that this is as high in ABV as it is.

Rated: 3.35 by DerwinWentworth from Utah

Reviewed by BB1313 from Ohio

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%
Canned on 2/24/22. 12oz can poured into a tulip.

Pours golden with great clarity and transparency; small white head that fades leaving decent retention and solid lacing. Great color.

The aromas are on the subtle side although they really open up as it warms. Mild hints of tropical fruit. Some rubber. Some caramel. Malts are there.

The flavors are big and bold. Some pineapple and rubber. Lots of pine. More hints of caramel. There's a nice amount of soap. Lots of pine. Some rye and black pepper in the mix giving this one a subtle spiciness. The green tea definitely comes through, especially in the finish. Strong bitterness. Low sweetness. Malts do their thing. The alcohol is slightly noticeable and it finishes slightly warm, but in a good way. It's not hot or anything like that.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied with moderate to active carbonation. It's sharp, fluffy and smooth.

This is a pretty nice DIPA. It's probably more "straightforward" than unique, but the green tea definitely still leaves its mark. Really nice hop flavors. It's big, bold and fun to drink. The craftsmanship is on point. Well done. I really like it.
Mar 21, 2022

Rated: 3.96 by AmitC from New York

Mar 05, 2022

Rated: 4.19 by jmbeerdude91 from Arizona

Mar 04, 2022
Reviewed by Mitchster from Michigan

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Part of the 12 days of IPA mix pack. 10.1% ABV, 75 IBU. Hopped with Warrior, Crystal, Helga, Aramis & Sorachi Ace.
Per the website :
"Bryan Baird of Baird Brewing Company, Toshi Ishii of Ishii Brewing Co., and I selected hop varieties for this beer that would blend well with Japanese sencha green tea, and I think we succeeded. Heavy doses of Crystal and Australian Helga hops, accompanied by the Aramis variety from France, provide a wonderful, spicy, and fruity hop character that blends exceptionally well with the herbal and grassy sencha tea flavors. The very late addition of Japanese Sorachi Ace hops provides hints of citrus and dill. Aside from switching out the Pacifica hops for Helga hops, we kept the recipe the same. The ABV on this rebrew is slightly higher than the 2011 release because of the annual changes in malt enzyme strength and variability with the yeast. This was one of our team’s all-time favorite Stone collaboration brews and we are thrilled to be brewing it again."

Pours out to a hazy light amber forming a modest white head with average retention and sparse lacing. Carbonation is moderate, ~2.5 carbs or so. Nose of pine, very herbaceous, light grapefruit, a little pineapple. No MJ or cat pee. Not as intense, pungent or fruity as I was expecting but this was also bottled 9/27/21, bought shortly thereafter and kept in a refrigerator until I drank it today 2/3/22. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, not as chewy or cloying as I would think given the ABV. Bitterness is moderate, actually a bit lower overall than many other beers in the 12 pack mixer. There is some cereal sweetness in the middle, some grassiness towards the finish, and then mostly pine in the aftertaste. I drink a lot of tea. I drink a lot of green tea. There is absolutely no tea character that I can pick up... perhaps I'm missing out on it if it were right out of the bright tank. No off flavors or aromas. Cleanly brewed.

To be honest, this tastes probably closest to Dbl two hearted, because hey, thats what we drink in Michigan. A decent beer, not a bad beer, just not anything special. Would not seek out or buy again.
Feb 04, 2022
Reviewed by izraelc from New York

Pours a hazy orange. Light foam. Hoppy aroma. Huge bitter hop body. Prominent green tea flavor. Bitterness persists. Slightly juicy. Good flavor but it's definitely bold.
Feb 03, 2022

Rated: 3.85 by uncleotis from Illinois

Jan 24, 2022
Reviewed by PathofChaos from Maryland

3.92/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75
Appearance:
A rich yellow, reminiscent of soft-boiled egg yolks. Forms a fizzing gulf of white froth that peters out in minutes, becoming a slender cap that laces (surprisingly well) in a fractured curtain.

Bouquet:
Sunny grapefruit and sweet golden malts casually relinquish leadership to one another, their charge being to guard an after-aroma of herbal, lightly honeyed, green tea.

Feel:
Silky and full-bodied as honey syrup, refreshed by a relaxed hum of carbonation. DECEPTIVELY POWERFUL. Comes across like a standard 6% IPA but hits with the fabled brawn of a barrel-aged imperial.

Taste:
A hungry chomp of just-ripe grapefruit whose tartness and acidity are sanded smooth by calm but immutable sweetened malts. A quiet trickle of green tea bitterness seeps in as it airs and eventually (thankfully) overtakes the linger, increasing its distinguishability.

Overall:
The green tea aspect is reaaallllly buried deep down in this quality IPA. That being said, its buried in a quality IPA so what’s not to love?
Jan 02, 2022
Reviewed by Peach63 from New York

4.17/5  rDev +6.1%
Golden Yellow with a 1/4" white head, which fades instantly. Suspended particles. Minimal lace.

Aroma is floral, tea, pine, citrus.

Tastes tea, orange zest, pine, astringent.

Medium body, light carbonation. Dry finish.

An interesting IPA. Astringency from tea, not usually found in an IPA.
Dec 29, 2021

Rated: 3.96 by ChuckTom from Arizona

Dec 24, 2021
Rated by KT3418 from Colorado

3.45/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75
I distinctly remember this tasting like a boozier Stone IPA. Where the tea at doe
Dec 16, 2021
Rated by TerryMills from Tennessee

3.77/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75
Traditional West Coast bitter pine ipa type of vibe with a little bit of the green tea up front..
Dec 14, 2021