Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA | Stone Brewing

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPABaird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Our style of brewing has always been about taking chances. It’s an extension of our “what-if” mentality, wherein we ask ourselves what would happen if we did things differently in the brewhouse, such as fermenting with a different strain of yeast or, in the case of this beer, incorporating whole-leaf green tea imported from Japan. The answer, embodied in this IPA when we first released it in 2011, was something truly magnificent, delicious and, as proven by the reissued edition you hold in your hand in 2015, worth brewing again. But what if we changed it? Yes, it’s riskier to change something most people thought to be liquid perfection, including our two-time collaborators Bryan Baird of Japan’s Baird Brewing Company and Toshi Ishii, a former Stone brewer and the founder of Guam’s Ishii Brewing Co., but we’ve found that, when approached with cautious curiosity and logic-driven creativity, reward often follows such risk. So, in bringing this IPA back to life, we followed the same recipe developed four years ago, but exchanged Pacifica hops from New Zealand, a hop-growing region that was becoming popular in 2011, for Helga hops from Australia, an area with a burgeoning botanical scene right now. The result is an IPA that’s as bright, herbaceous and bitingly hoppy as the one that’s had our fans requesting its return ever since its depletion from store shelves, but with a modern, hop-driven twist that makes this second draft unique and tasty in its own right.

2011 version is 9.2%
2015 version is 10.1%

2011 used NZ pacifica hops
2015 used AU helga hops

Added by HopHead84 on 07-10-2011

Reviews: 465 | Ratings: 1,396
3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Hazy orange, Hefe like with half-finger head.

S: Very citrusy, orange, grapefruit, green tea, hops w/ slight alcohol fume

T: Intense carbonation, very citrusy, slight tang, moderate hops, mild green tea tones

M: Warm carbonation probably due to the alcohol

O: This beer has a very unique character. Carbonation is intense, very citrusy/orange/grapefruit sweeteness. Green tea tones were only slight and I'd hoped for more. I expected the hops to be more intense but they were balanced which actually helped me enjoy this more. Alcohol is very well disguised.

2.87/5  rDev -25.5%

A: Pours an cloudy, opaque golden-orange with a plethora of yeast sediment floating around. Look kind of like pulpy orange juice. Yields about 1/2 inch of soapy, white head that dissipates quickly. Sudsy lacing slides down the side of the glass.

N: This has a very unique nose. There's definite green tea and black tea aromas. There's also some caramel and notes of orange, lemon citrus and honey.

T: Lemon, herbal green tea and hints of candy sugar are upfront. This is followed by earthy black tea, caramel, orange citrus and lemon rind. The finish brings dried leather, tobacco and lemon zest.

M: Light-medium bodied, foamy, dry and a little sticky.

O: An interesting idea but falls short IMO. It turns a little too earthy and somewhat cloying toward the finish. Has a nice bitterness and the alcohol is hidden well. Perhaps it would have been pulled off a little better if it was a more balanced style of beer.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

12 oz bottle in my Stone IPA flute.

The pour initially looks like a clear copper in the glass but holding it up to the light actually reveals a good bit of suspended solids floating throughout the liquid. The head on this consists of roughly 3 billowy fingers of bright white foam, which retains with a tight ½ finger of froth that then leaves some heavy swathes of lace sticking to the sides of the glass. That tea stands right out in the aroma, mingling with some more floral accents and then being cut through by notes of bitter citrus and a strong fresh piney feel. Some sweeter fruit character and malt pretty much gets relegated to the back here and I’m a bit bummed to find some stiff warmth emerge as this warms.

Like the nose, grapefruit and pine have some assertiveness on the palate, while some brighter fresh fruit flavors (I’m really getting some orange and lemon zest out of this) pushes out from the edges of the profile. That fruit works its way into the backend here, melding with the sweet sugars of the malt and then lingering with a final steady pithiness from the bitterness. The tea flavor is present throughout the taste and while it does have a somewhat general herbal texture to it, it’s not coming off as strong as what you would normally find being given off from hops and I’m therefore finding it a bit more quenching on the palate than I would have thought. The mouthfeel has some heft to it but it seems just shy of calling it full bodied. This does has a firmness to the carbonation, which is interwoven with a silky oiliness and herbal textures that at least help work the overall feel into more of a smooth crispness in the mouth. That over 9% ABV is the real WTF here for me, as it’s not necessarily hot or even overly warm but it just starts to wear on the palate after a while. I just don’t understand why it needs to be that high with this beer.

There definitely some things to like with this latest Stone Collaboration but then also some things that didn’t quite work for me as well. I really liked the use of the tea here. It worked well not only with the type of bitterness that was present but also the fruit flavors that those Pacifica and Sorachi Ace hops brought to the table as well, giving the flavor profile a well tuned and refreshing feel. Unfortunately, I don’t think that this translated nearly as well to the aroma, which I often struggled to really get any kind of robustness out of (which may have something to do with the age of this more than anything) and as mentioned before, that too-high ABV just kills any kind of thirst quenching drinkability that the flavor was trying so hard to bring to the table. Overall though, there was more to like than dislike here and I’d love to see more experimentation with tea-infused IPAs from all of the breweries involved. This one is one worth checking out if you see it on the shelf.

4.67/5  rDev +21.3%

Served from a bottle into a Spiegel tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden orange with a small head. The lacing was not as impressive as I had anticipated.

S: Orange and citrus with herbal smell coming as the beer warmed and there was less in the glass.

T: Very refreshing pine and citus upfront with tea notes at the finish, even more so as the beer became warmer.

M: Very light mouthfeel for the style.

O: I had been waiting awhile for this beer and I was not disapointed. I bought two bottles because of the price. But I can see myself going to pick up some more over the next few weeks if it is still around.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into white wine glass.

A: Poured a glowing dark iced-tea amber with four fingers of sticky off-white head that slowly faded into a greasy thick head that held great retention and left great sticky lacing down the glass. There were a few flakes of white yeast in the pour.
S: Grassy but straightforward. I maybe get a hint of mary-jane and macha powder (powdered green tea).
T: The flavor is mostly grassy like the nose, but I get flavors of citrus hops and hop resin as well. This definitely tastes like an ipa with something added to it, but if I didn’t know it was green tea I’m not sure I would have picked it out. Although, every couple of sips I do get a flash of sweetened green tea. The finish is full of tobacco and a bit of sweet malt, and the aftertaste is lightly bitter with a touch of lemon.
M: The body is viscous and sticky, the mouthfeel slick, and the carbonation low but even. For almost 10% the alcohol is hidden very well.
O: A decent to pretty good ipa, but I was disappointed the green tea wasn’t more noticeable. Definitely glad at least tried this once.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

12 oz. bottle shared with beer homey in The Big, 8.22.11 poured into wine tumbler.

Half a finger white head, pretty quick dissipation with minimal lacing. Orange amber clear body multiple streams of visible carbonation. I thought the nose was very vegetal, while the tea aromas were present had a hard time deciphering much in the way of hops. Taste mirrors nose, green tea up front then a heavy, rather unpleasant vegetal body, some floral hops more present than in the nose. Mouthfeel pretty full, alcohol quite noticeable. I appreciate that proceeds are going to charity, but this beer isn't one I look forward to having again. Pass.

4.29/5  rDev +11.4%

Good orange and yellow color, ample head, just the right amount of carbonation. Loved the dry hop aroma, usual citrus, but now with the vegetal greenness, that I assume to be green tea (never had green tea) because I don't recognize such a thing even in wet hopped beers, but I liked it. So herbal. Dunno if theres summits in here, but I like the herb and garlic feel in the dry hop. Unique points.

Taste, holy shit, I expected this to be gross, so I only bought one bottle. Wrong. This is delightfully hoppy and tasty. What? 9.2%? That must be a mistake. . . I guessed 6%. Totally hides the alcohol so very well. Just so herbal, really just kept making me think 'wet hops' like the first time I had Harvest ale back on tap a decade or so ago.

Sometimes I think well distributed brews get dinged up in here. Troegs and Stone, you've done it again. Great beer. Will buy multiples of these if I can find them again in a reasonable time frame. I wonder if tea will preserve hops better?

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

This bed actually looks like green tea with some carbonation and a good amount of floaties in it. The smell is heavy with tea notes and fruity hops. The taste is extremely tea like with the hop flavor and bitter SSS almost being a back note there is very little if any malt present. Mouthfeel was low carbonation light bodied but not dry. Maybe the non dry feeling is a side effect of the tea. This beer is interesting but I would not buy another bottle.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

Deep, cloudy orange, with a frothy one-finger head. With that cloudiness it could pass for a Hefe. The smell is not too impressive. It seems like this is going to be more on the malty side as I get some sweetness and only faint hops. Perhaps some alcohol fume also.

The taste has a very citrusy character with an almost minty spiciness. There is a grapefruit/melon tangy sweetness throughout with a modest bitterness in the finish. Alcohol is well disguised. The mouthfeel seems a bit watery, likely due to the carbonation being a bit too subtle.

This IPA has a unique flavor, though the addition of green tea is not readlily discernable to me. It's also too sweet for my liking. I suppose that is the tendency when it's over 8% ABV, perhaps this would have been more interesting as a single IPA. I imagine that would allow the green tea character to shine through better also. If the price tag were lower I would say it's worth a try...

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I remember my very first Stone IPA being very tea-like and strong from the hops. I could have sworn tea was used in that brew. Yes, that was five years ago, when I just started to drink beer. Fast forward to today, where this idea of tea and beer become a reality. It's one more neat collaboration to come from Stone. On to the beer:

There's a large share of sediment floating even in the bottle, so pour this one slowly and carefully. In the chalice, the beer has a burnt orange color which disguises much of the floating sediment. Head retention is okay, eventually plashing a few lines to stick. From opening the bottle, a lot of tea-like aromas escaped, which was a good sign. Time goes by and what develops is a fruity and malt forward IPA with the green tea being very subtle. Lots of canteloupe in the nose.

There's some herbal green tea found in this unique IPA. It's not just the green tea, but also notes of tree sap, wood (seems odd doesn't it?), and smaller doses of canteloupe and honeydew. It's surprisingly bitter too, but not in a resiny hop bitterness, like tea leaf bitterness. Body is on the thicker side with a "gummy" texture. Quite astringent in the finish.

I came in thinking that a Double IPA with green tea would completely smuther the tea. Not quite; there's still enough of it to get you thinking, especially with the herbal character it brings. The 12 ounce bottle it came in was a wise choice, cuz a 22 ounce could turn into an all nighter.

1.96/5  rDev -49.1%

On tap in a short stange at the Stone Tap Takeover at Acre.

Appearance: This has a light hazy golden color with a small white head that laces the glass nicely.

Smell: The aroma has a green tea base, with a fair amount of lemon, some grapefruit hops, and some biscuity malt.

Taste: The flavor is terrible. Medicinal flavor, fusel alcohol, green tea, sweet biscuity malt, and some lemon zest are pretty much a mess.

Mouthfeel: Astringent and dry, with a light to medium body and medium carbonation.

Overall: I could not really drink much of this at all. It is definitely the worst Stone beer I have ever had.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into a SA perfect pint.

Appearance: Orange-copper with an off white head about a finger thick that fades into a lacing over the top of the beer and clings to the side of the glass.

Aroma: Pine, citrus and a tough of fruit. I wasn't really able to pull any green tea from the aroma.

Taste: Astringent piney bitterness with a touch of citrus. Through all of the bitterness you can actually make out a green tea flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high carbonation, almost over carbonated, medium body and a dry finish with a long lingering bitterness.

Overall: I enjoyed it, but might have enjoyed it a little more if it was not so assertive, maybe a little more malt backing up all of the hopping, but that wouldn't be Stone's style.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. Picked up at the local Binny's right when the case was opened up.

A: Pours a very hazy orange with light yellow hues. There is a TON of sediment floating around in the bottle. The pour propagates a nice off white head that leaves some sticky lace behind.

S: The hops are there in the form of some nice citrus and light pine. I'm getting some faint green tea that brings in a nice bitterness to round it out.

T: There is light citrus hop at the beginning, but then the tea pushes its way to the front leaving a dried tea leaf bitterness. There is a very present alcohol taste at the backend, but there is no heat behind it.

M: Crisp and smooth. Light bodied with a light bitter tea left on the tongue. Decent carbonation.

O: I really don't think the tea blended well with this. This seemed like a bunch of ingredients side by side as opposed to blended together. Decent, but wouldn't revisit.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

I got a chance to try this on tap for the first, and probably ONLY, time this past Friday at the Stone 15th Anniversary Brewer's Reception.

Having already been a fan of this beer in bottle and being an avid tea drinker as well, I knew I had to sample this.

Compared to the bottle version:
- The appearance was nearly identical. A slightly hazy yellow, reminiscent of a good strong cup of green tea. The head was rather big on this pour and retained well. It had a very clean white look but sat thick atop the beer.
- Aroma wise the beer had lots of classic IPA notes but leaned more to the herbal side.
- Taste wise it was hard to compare the draft version to the bottle and say which was better. But regardless, the taste I was looking for was there. A friend of mine and I have been debating the bitterness of this IPA. Knowing Stone and their penchant for hops, this is bitter but there seems to be an increased bitterness which could possibly come from the green tea. For those of you who don't know teas do get bitter when they are over brewed, green tea especially. It's quite possible the added bitterness comes from the tea and not the hops.

Overall, I enjoyed being able to have this brew on tap. It is a definite winner in my book.

3.62/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Hazy golden yellow ale. A creamy white head forms to a nice size and has decent retention. A nice pillow but not much lace.

S- Nice big hop presence. Has a big herbal, citrus and pine presence. Some good peach as well.

T- Heavily herbal again, also big on floral, tea, mango, citrus peel and generally big hops. Takes on a weird overall feel I have a hard time describing it.

MF- Creamy feel with a light body and high carbonation. Bitter overall finish.

Have a hard time describing it but I am not a huge fan of the overall hop presence. It is nice but not what I was expecting.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

First off anytime I can drink beer for a good cause I'm in. Overall a pretty good beer but nothing special either. The green tea added an additional amount of bitterness but did little to present another dimension to an IPA. The nose was pretty subdued, but the appearance made for what appeared to be a tasty beer.

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

A-Pours bright amber in color. Half finger head retains well. Leaves patchy lacing. An insane amount of floating sediment. Not necessarily a detractor.

S-Slight whiffs of citrus, ginger, a bit of pine, sweet tea and ginger. The nose is not overwhelming. It is slightly perfumey and aromatic.

T-The tea comes through in an odd way. The flavors seem to interact poorly with one another. The overall flavor is not awful but it does not make me really want to finish the glass. Same components as in the nose but they work together oddly on my palate.

M-Slick and smooth. Medium carbonation. Feel is a bit off like the flavor.

O/D-Happy this was not an overly expensive 12 oz. coming in at $3.29. Flavor was awkward. Not a big fan. Its okay though, because Stone's 15th Anniversary brew is excellent.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

12oz bottle shared between my wife and I

Appearance- hazy, golden, orange. Little head. What is there is stark white. Not a lot of lacing. 4/5

Smell- Orange and citrus hop aroma. This is a good aroma. 4.5/5

Taste- Orange and citrus hop bitterness. Hefeweizen-esque. More bitterness than I expected. For a 9.2 abv beer, I don't taste much alcohol. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel- This is the most interesting part. I fully expected this to be super thin. Not at all. It has some legs to it. I also didn't know it was 9.2% abv. 4/5

Overall- I was prepared to have a non-interesting, thin, boring, green tea beer. That was not the case. It is a good, full bodied, Hefeweizen-esque beer. Great summer beer! 4.5/5.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Pours a glorious, almost glowing, honey gold. Hazy, and a bright white head on top. Leaves behind some decent lacing. The color itself is great.

S: Big citrus and pine scents bursting through, and a definite herbal quality from the tea.

T: As the nose leads on, a battle between pine and citrus, with the pine winning. Has a very floral taste to, pine cones meeting tea leaves. Slight malt sweetness, but quite hop forward. I don't think they used the Stone IPA as a base? Because this tastes much better.

M: Very clean, but well carbonated. Medium bodied, slight creaminess. A touch dry (which is the only reason why I'd think it's the Stone IPA base, but flavors don't match up).

O/D: Doesn't drink like a DIPA. Very easy, and sort of soothing going down. The hoppiness is great, and the herbal qualities are up front, but not overwhelming. An excellent collaboration.

3.46/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a hazy light orange, gold with a small white head that leaves just a bit of lacing. Smell is relatively strong, leaning heavily towards the herbal and green tea side with a bit of citrus hop in the background, most notably grapefruit. The bitterness hits surprisingly quickly and masks the taste at first. After it subsides there is a strong, earthy, lemon flavor that finishes with some slight alcohol and a nice dry finish. Mouthfeel is pretty spot on, just below medium bodied and a good amount of carbonation to soften the somewhat sharp taste and bitterness. There's a ton of different flavors going on here that do a good job of making this 9.2% beer drinkable, but at some points they seem to battle against one another. Glad I got to try this, definitely an interesting experience. I'll probably have to have it once or twice more though before I decide if it's my cup of tea...

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

A-cloudy dark gold orange. thick cream colored head

S-herbal hops, definitely getting some green tea as well. smells good, smells strong

T-comes in and tastes like any other herbal IPA that seems to have lost its hops luster. it then transitions in to a taste of alcohol and green tea some what. tastes a bit like a mistake to me.

M-medium creamy carbonation with a good semi dry finish

O-where are the hops? the bitterness? this tastes like an outdated IPA with enough herbal character to be called "green tea". worth a try, but don't get your hopes up...this is a let down.

3.36/5  rDev -12.7%

A - Honey, clear color. A really good head. Gives you an excellent impression.
S - You can really tell that this is a different IPA at the moment you smell it. You feel this soft citrus smell. Herbal, leafy, floral essence.
T - The particular flavor that this IPA has i cant described. Sweet, citrus, but in a very soft way, with a heavy kick of the hops flavor with the essence and the mistery of the green tea leaves and a little bit of mint.
M - Average. not so watery.
O - Strong IPA, with a particular flavor that calls your attention with the differents ingredients that this beer have been brewed.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

At first glance I notice a lot of setiment sitting at the bottom of the bottle, which is unexpected. I manage to keep any of it from getting into the pour and the result is a pleasant looking IIPA, clear with a yellow/gold color. Very slight white head comes up and goes away almost instantly. Lacing is evident but very light.

Smell is aggressive hops.... not a real strong citrus element there, or at least not one i'm picking up on. There is a little "something" else in the nose, but I can't quite define it.... the green tea element perhaps? (though it doesn't smell like green tea to me).

Taste is in line with a good IIPA, loads of bitterness and some citrus upfront but not astringently so....and then an odd almost mouthwash-like taste to the finish. The finish is not completely foul, but it is odd and not what I would call pleasant. I'm guessing this is the green tea element, but I can't say it reminds me of any green tea i've had.

Mouthfeel is good for the style. A nice sense of crispness and carbonation, making it easy to drink given the strength of the bittnerness and flavor.

In the end... this is kind of like drinking a Ruination with a little bit of mouthwash added in the finish. It's not as bad as that might sound, but I won't be drinking it again.

4.34/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz. bottle poured into a straight Baird Brewing pint glass. August 19th, 2011.

A: The beer pours an orange amber color with what appears to be a matrix of chunks suspended in the beer. This was also seen in the bottle before opening. There was a nice one-finger head of white foam that quickly settled into a thin cap. The lacing was extremely light but noticeable on the sides of the glass.

S: The aroma of this beer has lots of grapefruit and pineapple along with a very light hint of caramel malt. In addition, I notice some black pepper as well as the green tea. The earthy sencha is hiding in the back, and it's really picked up by the nose when you tilt the glass about 45 degrees. It reminds me of cracking open a bottle of green tea from a vending machine in Japan.

T: Initial flavors are of grapefruit, pineapple and bitter pine needles. The green tea is there, almost as a replacement for the sweet malt that I come to expect as a balancing agent in an Imperial IPA. The booziness is very noticeable, especially as you get further into the glass.

M: The beer has medium carbonation and a nice creamy mouth feel. The green tea and hops leave a very pleasant bitter aftertaste. As it warms up, you can really feel the boozy heat on your tongue.

O: Given that I have a soft spot for Baird, I found this to be an exceptional beer. Very drinkable and the green tea brings another layer of complexity to this Imperial IPA. I purchased this bottle three weeks ago when it first showed up in Seattle, and now I'm wishing I had drank it earlier as it is now gone. I really hope this helps expose Baird to more American beer aficionados who might not have heard of them previously. Fantastic beer.

2.91/5  rDev -24.4%

Appearance
While looking for some sort of freshness date, I noticed that this bottle had a TON of chunky sediment that was starting to get stirred up. I carefully poured and got a hazy pale honey colored beer with lots of suspended chunks. The haziness is odd looking. Its almost uneven and just doesn't look good. The head was short and there is no lacing.

Aroma
This smell is nice, though. Some juicy citrus with a base of denser, fleshier hops and a big kick of spice and herb. The tea lays subtly underneath.

Taste
The green tea comes out in a big way in the flavor, dominating the aftertaste and finish. The actual IPA seems to be very rough around the edges. There is a lot of bitterness from very dense, piney hops. There are a few flashes of candied citrus. Alcohol is noticeable on the finish. As the beer warms the green tea comes out a little bit more. It tastes like vegetables and leaves.

Mouthfeel
This stuff is entirely too alcoholic and hot. It should be just a standard IPA. The carbonation is quite high and prickly and the beer is thick and resinous. These are all qualities that are the opposite of green tea.

Overall
This beer is too heavy handed for being an IPA that has green tea. I expected, and wanted, a lighter IPA with good drinkability; one that refreshes you. This one is just another brash, uncouth IIPA from Stone with some green tea that's mostly overpowered.

Baird / Ishii / Stone Japanese Green Tea IPA from Stone Brewing