15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA | Stone Brewing

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA
4.21/5
Exceptional

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by HopHead84 on 08-16-2011

Ratings: 1,446 |  Reviews: 718
4.26/5  rDev +1.2%

August 2011 is on the bottle and it says consume fresh...

A= Pours a deep black color with a nice big ol two finger head on it that is super thick and holds nice retention and lacing on the side of the glass. Looks pretty ideal actually. The head is a nice dark color sort of a mocha.

S= Still smells like fresh fruity hops! I guess two months isn't too long to age it! Nice roast in the background and a solid hop nose. The nose is really about ideal on it.

T= The taste is just like the nose. Excellent. Smooth roasty malt and a ton of great fruity piney hops. Really a smooth combination. This is one of the most well molded Black IPA's I've had. Takes good aspects from each and blends them. Nice bitterness coming from both ends.

M= Finishes dry like an IPA and has a smooth lasting flavor.

O= I've read nothing but bad things about this beer but see only good reviews. I think this is one of those beers some love and others hate right out of the gate. A good blend of two extreme styles I think and worth checking out. I'm really happy Stone now distributes to MN and I'm even more happy we are getting beers like this.

4.26/5  rDev +1.2%

Had this big guy on tap at Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown last night before an amazing Kenny Garrett concert, as I knew that the beer at Blues Alley would not cut it.

Pours black with a great tan head with lots of thick body to it. Outstanding lacing leaving webs on all parts of the glass the brew touches. The smell has a ton of resin and also a heavy dose of citrus and pine. Some toasty bakery bread notes with even a hint of smoke come through in the aroma as well. Has some spices and herbs that are hard to place and also a dose of cocoa bean.

The taste reflects those things in the smell to a point, but mostly this is a huge hop bomb with aggressive citrus and pine with raw hop resin that hopheads would appreciate clearly taking center stage in the flavor dept. A note of barley with a tiny bit of roast in the finish but again mostly all I get are hops as the main characters here and it tastes great. The feel is good and slick over the palate without much of a bitter or roasty aftertaste that was slightly disappointing.

Enjoyable overall, and I'd like to get a bottle. The beer is hard to get through even a 12oz pour of though in one sitting as it's not really the most balanced of beers, just mostly a hop explosion with a bit of roast thats almost not even there. I'm giving it a 4 overall because it tastes great, but drinkability turned out to be average at best.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

Pours like a dark rich stout. I have had a number of other Black IPAs and this pours the same way. A little but tan creamy head, that does not last that long
The difference ends here between stouts and black IPAs. Once I put my nose into the glass, all that came out was nice and strong HOPS. Closing my eyes, I am thinking like Stone's Bastard Ales, not as hoppy as Ruination.
I have to admit, my first taste was somewhat disappointing. I think it was perhaps that I was looking for that rich full stout flavor, but instead, it was much thinner, still nice The mouthful didnt last all that long. From the initial sip till the end, was so very quick, I was hoping for a little more flavour.
The finish was very quick. Hoppy to the end, made you make sure this was an IPA and not a stout

4.25/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing