15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA | Stone Brewing

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by HopHead84 on 08-16-2011

Ratings: 1,443 |  Reviews: 718

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at Congregation Ale House's Stone week on 3/26/2014. Poured into an 8oz tulip.

A: Black with half a finger of tan head, looks like a stout. Good staying power on the head.

S: the aromas are pretty faint, but I can somewhat pick out some hoppy bitterness.

T: wow, this IPA is how old? It's not super hoppy as expected and I never had the original fresh but it's still super tasty. Taste like bitter chocolate with liquorice. I don't usually like liquorice, but I'm really digging this beer. And by that I mean I love it. Taste is very richand creamy, decently sweet too.

M: This is a stout right? No... Oh, because it feels like motor oil. Has wonderful mouth feel like surprisingly thick and full. From mouth feel alone I would think thisisa stout.

O: I really wish I had the beer fresh to compare it to, but I don't. However, it's still fantastic. It's almost like a stout now, this beer had probably changed allot fromit's days as an IPA but it had become something still fantastic..

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.96/5  rDev -5.3%

I am drinking a bottle that was brewed in August of 2011 on 10/26/2013.

This is not an IPA to me because all of the hop flavor has long since gone. That's ok though, because this has morphed into a quite tasty imperial stout. So, strangely enough, that's how I will review it.

A - opaque dark black.

S - very sweet, with dark fruit, fig and licorice notes. There is a slight hopiness left to it, but it's faint. It smells like a Russian imperial stout.

T - Very deep flavor. I get a taste of milk chocolate right off the bat with a depth of flavor that develops into figs, and then a flavor of very bitter deep roasted coffee that fades quickly. It's smooth but leaves a taste of booze on the tongue. Overall, very smooth.

M - Great. Heavy and chewy. Great for the style.

O - I can't say what the black IPA would be like had I tried this beer within 6 months of the brewing date. BUT, what I will say is that this is a delicious beer and very well crafted.

3.94/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Schlafly tulip. Bottled 8/1/11, so more than 2yrs old now. Bought for $5.99 at Total Wine Tustin (great value).

A - Pitch black, nothing even around the edges. Mocha colored head leaves decent lacing.

S - Dark chocolate, has a weird turpentine smell, I expect it is from the aged hops. Not off-putting. Weird, but nice.

T - Dark chocolate upfront, also dark fruits (prunes, raisins, figs). A little sweet on the front end. You get that same flavor (turpentine) and black tea from the aged hops. You can definitely tell this beer was massively hopped.

M - Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is low side of medium.

O - I think this is definitely past it's age, but still a great drink. The fresh version was even better because of the hop notes. This is still better than the Sublimely Self Righteous (which is also a great beer).

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing