15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA | Stone Brewing

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

Added by HopHead84 on 08-16-2011

Ratings: 1,442 |  Reviews: 718
4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Glass - Tulip

A - Super pitch black brew with a sticky 2-finger tan head, retention seems to be decent. I'm not getting any light through this one. Surprisingly I only got a few spots left on my glass.

S - Right upfront I get an explosion of sticky, resinous hops! Tree sap, pine, grapefruit, pineapple, fruit rinds. Beneath the punch of hops I get deep dark chocolate characteristics, toffee, buttery notes, and a general sweet, cereal like malt character. Smells pretty sweet.

T - Wow! Upfront is such an intense punch of hop resins, pine, tree sap, rind. In the middle the hop flavors are just about intense with added bitterness, woody smokey notes, molasses, and dark chocolate. The finish consists of more hop resins, dark chocolate, smoke and a cloying bitterness that just wont let go. The alcohol is definitely noticeable, I can feel it down my throat to my stomach.

M - One of the most oily brews Iv had! Thick, viscous, and full bodied with soft crispness.

O - Wow, I gotta say that I would only really want to drink about 6-12oz of this brew in one sitting, after that it would become sickening to me. Overall I really like this beer, from it's super resinous flavor profile, to it's velvety mouthfeel. I definitely recommend it, although it's more like a break the bottle open and share with friends brew. I think I'd probably just buy the Sublimely Self Riotous over this in the future.

3.92/5  rDev -6.2%

A - Pours a very viscous, used motor oil black with mocha colored head.

S - Wow, not what I was expecting from the pour, lots of floral hops, mixed with roasted malt, a tinge of zest, some notes of dark fruits. Good--and interesting--smelling beer.

T - I'm working through this one. On first draw, you get some of those full stout properties, coffee bitterness, but a lot of floral hops as well. Not so much the taste, but the "feel" of them. It fades into some dark fruits like plum, and finishes with that baker's bitter chocolate taste. I wasn't aware a beer could taste like this.

M - Again, it's viscousy like an imperial stout, , but it has that dryingness of piney, floral hops. Mild burn from the alcohol as it warms

Overall - Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what to say. It has a lot of things working here, and I feel like in doing that, it got a little muddled. I can feel the properties of what's in the beer, but I can't necessarily taste them. I feel the coffee bitterness, but I don't really taste coffee. I can feel the bitterness from the hops, but I can't really taste them. But at the same time, I liked it?

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

A must pick up. Anytime they put out a new release I will totally support it.

A- Dark as night. Has a medium head of a browish color foam. Very little carbonation.

S- Its very interesting because I thought the hops would expode out of the glass. In this case it has a nice hoppy smell but you get a good scent of a sweet malt flavor as well.

T- Has a fantastic taste. I get a nice coffee like malt as well as a really nice balance of hop to malt flavor but at the end your mouth is left with a nice hop taste.

M- This beer has a fantastic drinkability. Never would of thought it was 10.8. Has a great smooth but yet bold flavor.

Overall- Really impressed, fantastic beer. Never have been let down yet. Cheers

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours like a dark rich stout. I have had a number of other Black IPAs and this pours the same way. A little but tan creamy head, that does not last that long
The difference ends here between stouts and black IPAs. Once I put my nose into the glass, all that came out was nice and strong HOPS. Closing my eyes, I am thinking like Stone's Bastard Ales, not as hoppy as Ruination.
I have to admit, my first taste was somewhat disappointing. I think it was perhaps that I was looking for that rich full stout flavor, but instead, it was much thinner, still nice The mouthful didnt last all that long. From the initial sip till the end, was so very quick, I was hoping for a little more flavour.
The finish was very quick. Hoppy to the end, made you make sure this was an IPA and not a stout

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark black with caramal like foam. Smells like a citrus/fruity ipa, but the taste does not follow suit. Tastes quite rosty and full. Very stout like. This would not nornally be a probably, but the beer itself says its an IPA. Other then the smell, i'm picking up nothing that resembles an ipa. Its not a bad beer, just wrongfully named.

3.31/5  rDev -20.8%

Ok, I don't usually like this style but I'm gonna try. Basically the appearance of this beer is it's best part. Black, two finger mocha head, nice looking. It smells like someone accidentally dumped way to many hops into a porter. Piney, pithy and roasty a combo I don't think works well. Not to mention it just isn't a complex aroma. The taste is similar, roasty, nutty, piney and dark. Again I keep trying to see how these are suppose to go together, but they just don't. Its thick like a porter, is it supposed to be? I can't even begin to detect the alcohol, is that good, probably given it's strength? I'm confused, and tired of beers that are a bunch of different things they shouldn't be. Usually I'm cool with experimenting but I think this beer was the straw that broke the camel's back. Black IPA, Black Saison, what is next Black Black Ale?

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

22oz bottle poured into shaker pint

This beer pours a viscous looking, inky black. Excellent cappuccino brown head, about 2 fingers with great full lacing. Smell is lots of roast coffee and chocolate with a pine hop bite. Taste is quite heavy on the roast, char and ash. The piny, grassy hops provide a nice addition on the back palate. Mouthfeel was a touch heavy on the booze, sticky, medium-heavy and slightly drying. Overall a good beer, definitely lives up to its "Imperial" label.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip

A-Pours black. No hints of light peeking through. 1/2" coffee colored head has good retention and leaves ample lace all the way down. Great looking beer.

S-Strong but not overwhelming nose. Very aromatic and pleasing. Pine resin and citrus are the star here with a nice dose of roasty malt, hints of chocolate and booze. Smells great too.

T-This is delicious. I can't quite give it a 5, but its close. A nice bitter hop bite of pine and citrus lead with a very pleasant roasted malt coming in just behind it. Got some booze in the nose, but none here. The alcohol is completely hidden to my palate. Just a hint of chocolate here. All of the flavors mingle together to provide an excellent drinking experience.

M-Medium body with slightly prickly carbonation that suits this beer well.

O-This style is hit or miss with me, but Stone hits this one out of the park. I'm a big fan of the SSR, but this one really takes the cake. I'd love to see this in the regular line up. I loved the entire experience from start to finish. Well done!

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bomber of this new Stone brew from Perry's in Livermore, CA. I pour into a large snifter to review. Black IPA over 10% with an A rating on here? Sounds interesting.

Pours thick like a stout with an inch of dark colored stout-esque head. Black in color. A thin layer of retention and great lacing.

Quite hoppy nose, but still on the balanced side with a healthy dose of lightly roasted malt. Hints of chocolate, cream and vanilla but the resinous hops continue to push through. I cannot detect the high ABV.

Taste is much more stout than IPA for me. Much roastier than I anticipated with the chocolate and molasses pushing the hops aside. That ABV is being more detectable, but still well contained.

Full body, thick and somewhat creamy. Good levels of carbonation make this one very drinkable for its size. Long finish of roasted malt. The bitterness I detected in the nose is seemingly non existent now.

A good beer I suppose, but I was hoping for more hops on this one and ended up being let down a little. For what it is, a hoppy stout, in my opinion, it is a good beer.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle into DFH snifter

A - Black in color with a finger of lovely brown head. No lacing, and retention is pretty ok for such a high ABV. The black color is brilliantly deep, though.

S - Chocolate, roasted malts, and bitter grassy hops. Some dark fruit sweetness that I wasn't expecting. More stout than IPA.

T - Wow. Chocolate in droves, with a sweetness that is balanced by hop bitterness. I liken it to a chocolate stout blended with an especially bitter Double IPA, like Ruination.

M - Full bodied and a bit sticky initially but ends up drying in the finish. In every way this has the body of an Imperial stout, but with the dry finish of many IPAs.

O - Overall this is a phenomenal beer, truly. A strong Imperial Stout-y flavor that then leads into the bitter hoppiness of an IPA, but without a sharp divided between the two. The flavor and body flow from one stage to the next and blend in the interim in a way that perfectly compliments the many aspects of this beers flavor.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a thick black with a brown head about two fingers thick that clings to the side of the glass and slowly fades into a lacing over the top.

Aroma: Strong citrus and pine notes mixed with chocolate and roasted aromas. Pungent.

Taste: Piney bitterness mixed with bitter chocolate and roasted grains with a touch of coffee.

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy with a lingering bitter finish. I see why they call it an Imperial black IPA.

Overall: If I didn't know any better from looking at the beer I would assume it was and RIS. Once you smell it you know it is not though. Of the three Stone anniversary beers I've had, this is my favorite so far.

15th Anniversary Escondidian Imperial Black IPA from Stone Brewing