The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado | Stone Brewing

The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De CitracadoThe Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado
3.59/5
Good

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Brewed with Honey malt, Brown malt, and Rye malt, yams, pumpkin, toasted fenugreek, lemon verbena, and birch bark. Warrior hops, and New Zealand Motueka hops. "Citrouille", French for pumpkin, intentionally misspelled in honor of Patrick Rue.

Added by BdubleEdubleRUN on 10-18-2011

4.07/5  rDev +13.4%

Interesting collaboration between Stone, Elysian and The Bruery. The ingredients list is unorthodox.

Pours a nice burgundy hue with a thin head into my glass. I'm not really sure if it's a pumpkin ale.

Pumpkin, yams, candi sugar and a bit of birch stand out immediately in the nose. I've never had fenugreek so can't comment.

Interesting flavors upfront. How to describe it? Bitter and "rooty" upfront with a good dose of burnt sugar, birch and maybe a touch of the lemon verbena. Unorthodox. Not a pumpkin ale. I like the addition of birch bark.

The birch bark is all that lingers at the back of my throat. Not much else is there.

I'm torn between disdain and praise for this ale. On one hand, it's an excellent attempt at using non-traditional ingredients. On the other hand, it's so "different" that I can see many pouring it down the drain. I love it enough that I'm going to finish it.

4.06/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours out a nice creamy head. Notches at every sip down the side of the glass. It has a nice ruby red clear color to it. Really a beautiful beer. The taste is very well balanced. Dry with pumpkin spice notes and ending with more emphasis on clove. The flavor is also not very overpowering and I gotta say that its a great brew all together. Nice collaboration

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

I've had a bottle of this sitting in my cellar for almost a year and a half now, and I know it says on the bottle to drink fresh and not to age, and since I never got around to drinking a bottle of this fresh (did have it on-tap fresh though) so I figured it was time to crack this sucker open. Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my Stone imperial pint glass. This beer pours a clear, deep amber color with some dark ruby highlights when held up to the light. Has an off-white/tan head that is 1/2 inch thick when poured that eventually settles to a nice, very thick ring lining the inside of the glass along with swirls of foam resting on the beer's surface. Decent lacing. Aromas of pumpkin spice, rye, some toasted caramel malt, citrus, lemon grass, and honey are all present. Tastewise the pumpkin spice, rye, honey, and lemongrass flavors come right out. An interesting mix of flavors that I am not used to tasting in combination with each other, and it works pretty well! The yam flavor follows. Just enough to know the yams are there, and not overpowering. Rounded out with hints of the birch sweetness and a slight earthy hop bitterness. Very interesting and unique mix of flavors. Has a crisp, smooth, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy drinkin' here. Wish I had had this out of the bottle when it was fresh. This was quite tasty actually!

Eric

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

12oz bottle into snifter.

A: Pours a very dark mahogany red with a thick but short lived light tan head that faded into a thick and bubbly film. Great lace.
S: The yams and lemon come through in a very earthy and herbal way. I have no clue what the heck fenugreek is (despite Googling it), but I do get a bit of the birch.
T: I’m not a huge fan of pumpkin beers although they can be good every now and again (which is why I bought this one), but I must say the yams in this compliment the normally sweet pumpkin. The lemon verbena gives a fantastic herbal lemon flavor, and the birch and pumpkin add just a touch of sweetness to the finish. There is a great spice quality as well. Delicious and crisp all around.
M: Medium body with crisp carbonation and a dry mouthfeel. Very refreshing.
O: Thankfully not overly sweet. The yams and earthy lemon add much needed complexity to a normal pumpkin beer. Well done.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

I had this thanks to tenderbranson69 enjoyed with him and carlos.

The color is deep golden brown with good clarity and thick cap of light beige cream the lace sticks well and bead is fine. the smell is lush with herbal and earthy aromas, some lemongrass and light pumpkin spice with a hint of toasted grain and slight floral note from the verbena. the feel is nice with a smooth almost lager like quality with mellow bitterness and carbonation level is right on the money with a very conservative amount of spicing and sweetness.

The flavor is very complex with a lot of fenugreek and yam action yet still has the nice mild maltiness of rye with the yams definitely giving a round effect and smoothing out some spice in the profile. The taste is less like a candle as the smell with the verbena giving a hint of citrus tanginess yet it doesn't go too far. The flavor of the caramel/honey malt is present too but in balance. The finish is smooth and relativly dry for the style. Overall I really dig this a quality pumpkin that is quaffable...I could probably drink this year round and the abv is low which adds to this quality.

4.04/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Very dark amber to medium brown in color. Half finger head recedes slowly into a ring with decent lacing.

Smell: Very inviting. Citrus aroma is dominant. Smells fresh.

Taste: The flavor is great. Pumpkin followed by citrus. Very clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium carbonation. Light body. Not bad but could be a little more bold.

Overall: A very enjoyable beer with great taste that I would be happy to buy again.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Mahogany color with a solid tan foamy head with excellent retention and lacing.

Pretty nice nose with notes of lemongrass, ginger, fenugreek (I'm a chef) and faint pumpkin.

Flavor a real nice as well. Very cool and different especially for the style. Fresh and earthy. Again notes of lemongrass which is from the combo of lemon verbena and fenugreek, light citrus with a little sweetness like a lemonhead. Just a touch yam and pumpkin.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, fresh with med-high carbonation.

Overall this is a differently cool and good beer. Well balanced with a range of nice flavors. I recommend a try. I'm surprised by the previous low reviews.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured into an Ommegang flute. Pours a deep red mahogany, half finger fine light brown head with moderate retention and lacing. Aroma of bready and toasted malt, light pumpkin and a hint of lemon. Flavor dominated by toasted malt, with a hint of lemon citrus that gets stronger until the finish with light malt, citrus, other herbal elements and light hops. Interesting and different. No strong pumpkin flavor, although the body is somewhat creamy like a good pumpkin beer. I like this, an interesting unusual flavorful ale.

Bruery:stone /Elysian pumpin collab

A- pour produces a 1 finger light tan head that rests atop a copperush body. Decent lacing 4

S- light pumpkin spices, a woody scent from the birch I believe, a certain molassesy sweetness smells pretty good 3.5

T- forefront is some pumpkin spices mixed with caramel and chocoalte. There is a slight smoky flavor and there is also a woody flavor. There are some flavors that I can't put my finger on one of which is probably the yams.  This is a very complex and exciting beer for me. A definite winner  4

M- very nice and creamy. Good carbonation 4.5

O- I really have to applaud this effort. This beer is excellent and a treat to be able to have a few of. Good drinkability and it's very interesting so props for exploring 4.5

a-

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a rather dark brown/red color. Nice, creamy off-white head has decent retention, and leaves nice lacing as it becomes a thick film.

Smell: Great toasted malt aroma; hints of yams and pumpkins are in there too. Not much spice-wise, but I suppose the fenugreek is contributing to those toasted smells.

Taste: Very similar to the aroma, with a bold (yet not overpowering) toasted/roasted malt flavor, with some underlying pumpkins and yams. I think I can catch a hint of the fenugreek and lemon towards the finish, and there's a bit of roasted bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Probably rather dense, but since it is so smooth is comes across almost airy. Just a bit of tingly carbonation.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, with a moderate IPA.

Not your typical pumpkin ale, as it lacks the usual clove, nutmeg, and similar spices. I suppose if anything this is closer to a porter, especially with all the roasted flavors going on, but with the pumpkin and yam to make it something a bit different.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into tulip glass.

Pours a brown color with a slight amber hue. Healthy finger and a half head or so. Seems to have moderate carbonation. Beautiful rings of lacing.

Aroma is primarily pumpkin and brown sugar, maybe some pumpkin spices (cinnamon, clove). There is some toasty malt too. There are a few other aromas in there that I just can't identify (looking at the bottle its possiby birch bark, lemon verbena, or fenugreek-not that I know what those are supposed to smell like).

Pretty different beer. As I said with the aroma. I can only detect a few of the tastes. I can taste the pumpkin, along with its spices. There is a toasty quality to it, with a little bit of a brown sugar taste. The other flavors I just can't pin down, but its different for sure. A little bit of bittering hops provides a quick bite. The only thing that comes to mind for the other tastes are a little bit of a citrusy floral quality, thats also a tad sweet. Not really sure how well all the flavors mix, but I sure can appreciate this for being different.

Mouthfeel is medium body with moderate carbonation. Very drinkable, and uniqueness keeps me sipping this beer at a quick rate.

Really appreciate a unique pumpkin beer. The different ingredients they use make it pretty different. Not sure if I'd buy this regularly, but I'm glad I tried it. The more I drink it, the more I like it.

4.02/5  rDev +12%

I knew that The Bruery and Stone would eventually brew a beer together, but I wasn't sure who the third party would be. Enter Elysian. Here's pumpkin ale with a few twists. On to the beer:

Dark brown amber with reddish hues. The head forms an inch thick, retains solidly, and laves some creamy lace around the glass. I don't know how to describe the aroma. There must be one or two of those oddball ingredients doing much of the work. Definate tree bark, some lemon peel; it actually seems to take on the hop character of Stone's beers! And that's a good thing. Sweet baked Hawaiian rolls add a pleasing component to an already good smelling beer.

It's a sensory overload with so many things going on. I love the sweet toasted bready base, which acts as a canvas for the spice notes. There seems to be tree bark and lemom pepper, and something else happening I can't exactly figure, it's like some kind of agent that you would find in mouthwash. Toasted bread crust and lemon pepper in the aftertaste. The beer has a medium beer with smooth carbonation.

You always know that you're going to get something different from one of these Stone collaborations. It can get a little unbalanced at times, but there's little question that La Citrueille Celeste de Escondido is damn good.

4.01/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into a Beer Army pint glass.

A: Dark mahogany. The color reminds me of a well worn in dark red cigar chair. A 3 finger head that is a mixture of large and small bubbles and is light tan in color. The head settles quickly to a lacing that continues to lace as this beer disappears from my glass.

S: Dark roasted notes with a semi-sweet maple backing. Some coffee notes that play around beautifully with the dominate fenugreek.

T: Up front roasted yam and old coffee. No sweet maple notes which really suprises me comparied to the smell. Some lingering brassy notes with some subdued bitterness.

M: Light and playful. From the smell I expected sticky but not even close.

O: This is a "pumpkin" beer that I could actually enjoy drinking more than one or two then try to pawn off on guests. I am really enjoying this. Not the best Stone Beer but a damn fine collaboration.

This one pours a fairly clear brown color, with a tinge of buby. Almost non-existent off white head. Nose is lighter, but lots going on there. Some roasted coffee and chocolate are noticeable. Faint citrus and pine hops. Some spices which are faint but reminiscent of pumpkin pie. Faint caramel malts also. Interesting taste. There is an awful lot going on here. Somewhat of a citrus hop bit on top. Some malts, breadiness, spices, hints of the coffee and chocolate. Just a very nice brew.

The Bruery / Elysian / Stone La Citrueille Celeste De Citracado from Stone Brewing