Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Chile Beer

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

Added by JAramini on 11-10-2011

Ratings: 1,529 |  Reviews: 483

1.62/5  rDev -56.7%

On tap, served in a 12oz wine glass at Martin City Brewing Company.

This beer pours a mahogany brownish red with a big 3 inch cap and leaves quite a bit of lacing down the sides of the glass. The best thing I can say about the aroma is that its definitely interesting. I would define it like a dunkelweizen that has been dry hopped with dates, coco nibs and chilies. Not good. Banana, clove, bubble gum, dates, chocolate and chili's all mixed together. I feel like I need to douche my nose. The taste is horrible. Every thing in the aroma is just amplified by about 10. Easily the worst tasting beer I've ever had from Stone. It's aweful. As in I'm in awe of how bad a beer Stone produced. The mouthfeel is oily. While it had a nice carbonation when pouring, its almost like none was absorbed into the beer itself. Stone tries to pack this beer of flavors and just completely misses the mark. I was only able to finish about 5oz of the 12oz I was served.

1.75/5  rDev -53.2%

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dark orangey color ale with large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of Anaheim peppers and bready yeast is intriguing with notes of cinnamon and caramel malt also easily noticeable. Taste is a mix between some solid caramel malt with a sweet edge and some cinnamon which unfortunately needs with too many spicy notes and therefore this beer ends ups as a major mess. Body is full with limited filtration and huge malt backbone with good carbonation. No alcohol notes or if there was any there were hidden by the peppers notes. I could barely bring myself to drink ¼ of the bottle before it hit the drain. Not sure where all those high rates are coming from.

2.03/5  rDev -45.7%

Keep your Zantac handy...

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay glass.

Wonderful and rich copper color, decent head although not the tight bubbles you see on many Belgians.

Smell fruity, caramel, but I couldn't smell the chilies or cinnamon as others have described.

Taste. A disaster. I was hoping the chilies would be an interesting afterthought, something slightly spicy to add to the sweet malt. No, the chilies were too overwhelming from initial taste to finish.

Mouthfeel- medium body, medium carbonation, can feel the spicy chilies in the mouth.

Overall - Undrinkable, I drank half and poured the rest down the drain which I rarely do. Had to take a Zantac because the chilies gave me acid reflux. I would drink a Keystone Light before I have another one of these.

2.06/5  rDev -44.9%

Did I get a bad bottle? That is the first thought that crossed my mind. Some editions of this beer I've liked more than others, but this is the first of the series that I have simply disliked. Some Belgian yeast notes and perhaps some Belgian candy sugar, but hovering at the surface was a dusty, acrid bitterness, like cheap dried spice that has languished too long in the spice cabinet. Drying at the end with an unpleasant woodyness.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing