Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale
3.76/5
Very Good
Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Chile Beer

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

Added by JAramini on 11-10-2011

4.2

Ratings: 1,529 |  Reviews: 483
4.53/5  rDev +20.5%

Had on tap multiple times served in Chimay goblets and tulip glasses.

Appearance: Deep amber-brown beer with amber highlights, a thin tan head. Leaves a fair bit of weak lacing down the glass. A very appealing beer.

Smell: The smell is of candi sugar, with some dark cherries, and a slight bit of pepper (perhaps jalepeno or cayenne). There is a sweet malt aroma as well.

Taste: The taste is difficult to describe because there are so many individual flavors that I could pick out, but the beer tastes nothing like ay one of them. The flavor is complex, deep, and rich, and it is exceptionally satisfying. I pick up on bits of the peppers, some fruity flavors, big rich sweet malts, and a strong vanilla flavor that blends beautifully with the peppers, evening them out a bit and giving great balance to the beer.

Mouthfeel: Simply exceptional. Full, thick , creamy and superb. Moderate carbonation for the style, but the feel is silky and the finish is smooth.

Overall: An outstanding beer that I would encourage everyone to try if the opportunity arises before this beer is gone. I was lucky enough to also get a bottle of the 2011 an 2010 (properly cellared) in a bottle shop, so I feel spoiled. Anyway, I hope you all get the chance to enjoy this beer for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

4.52/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this beer by chance in the liquor store and boy am I ever glad I did. It`s absolutely gorgeous - a crimson reddish brown with an incredibly creamy head that lasts forever. Streams of carbonation run up the sides of my mug like an inverted waterfall.
The smell is very intense, giving you a hint of what`s to come in the taste - CHILIES. It`s such an unexpected smell in a beer that I have trouble smelling anything else but it`s absolutely amazing. The cinammon comes through in the flavour much more than in the smell. What an epic combination. Chilies and cinnamon. Unbelievable. Mouthfeel is a little oily but tolerable. I`m so disappointed that the Quebec government won`t let anyone import beer from the States, otherwise I`d be buying this again and again. Amazing.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Bought this one a few weeks ago, and it didn't seem right cracking it for no good reason, so why not Turkey Day?

A - Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip, the bottling date is readily apparent. Pours a deep, deep red, easily mistaken for some brown, but it's definitely dark ruby red. Two fingers of tan head dissipate quickly, leaving some lacing.

S - Sweet malts and cinnamon are up front, with just slight hoppiness in the back.

T - The hops are a lot more noticeable in the initial taste, more than the smell, but the malts are not to be ignored, with a definite caramel taste. Chilies are present, but not in the way you might think. More in the flavor than heat, and the cinnamon is just there enough to bring it all into focus. Pretty sweet for a chile style.

M - Sweet, dry finish with some noticeable alcohol burn. None of the stuff you'd expect from the chilies.

O - I expected a lot more heat from this beer, but it makes up for it with character and flavor. Certainly worth a turn of the head while it's still around.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

The appearance is mahogany with a long lasting head. The smell is malty and sweet.unlike many other chili beers that I have had before, the roasted flavors of the chili is what comes out, and (thankfully) not the heat. The Cinnamon is present and adds a nice dimension to this beer. I need to pick up a few more before they disappear - some for now, and some for next year.

EDIT 11/12/2012

served chilled in a snifter, after storing for a year in my fridge

A: a deep amber/mahogany with a slight yellow head

S: Very fragrant - floral and sweet smelling

T: I taste a lot of the fruitiness of the Anaheim chili, and strong cinnamon notes. The finish is bitter and dry.

M: this is well-carbonated, which helps the finish to dissipate quickly.

O: I enjoyed this beer fresh a year ago, and I like it now, however I wouldn't want to drink more than one in an evening. It's nice for something different, but I wouldn't want a ton of it. I find myself pleasantly surprised a the absence of chili heat, which has ruined other chili beers for me in the past. I am happy that I stored a few bottle s of this one, and I still recommend it.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing