Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Chile Beer

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

Added by JAramini on 11-10-2011

Ratings: 1,529 |  Reviews: 483

4.24/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This review was written about a bottle that was aged over a year. I aged it because the new bottles were somewhat overwhelming.

Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Super dark orange/ golden brown with little head and no retention or lacing.

The aged smell is more subdued than the new smell. Still bubblegum,cinnamon, and chile but not near as pronounced based on my recollection.

The taste is not the assault on the palate as I remember from a year ago. Chile beer to start with a somewhat hoppy malt middle and a fairly clean aftertaste. Very pleasant and very different. Unlike any other beer I have ever had. I guess you could call it a Belgian strong ale but its unlike any other beer I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is okay. Good carbonation and as usual it smoothes out as it warms.

Overall a good beer and super different. I'm glad I aged it as it did mellow with time. The new version was pretty close to over the top.

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%

Aged 14 months

A: Pours very hazy amber, thick 3 finger off-white head.

S: Tons of belgian yeast smells; banana, pepper, cinnamon, ester. To be honest this smell a lot like a home brewed belgian.

T: Chilis and cinnamon up front, a bit of that belgian brown malt taste in the middle, finishes with a pepper/ green chili kick. It almost has a metallic taste as well. Pretty lackluster if you ask me.

M: medium body and medium carbonation

O: I can appreciate 11.11.11 for what it is, a chili beer. It's not bad but I don't need to have it again. There was a good amount of flavors going on but none really shined through which just left me saying 'meh'.

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

2.46/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a slightly couldy amber to ice tea color with one finger of off-white suds. Slight lacing here.
Smell is malty sugar and yeast. Buttered raisin bread with burbon on top. the 9.4% is way over the top. Not enough ingredients and too much booze. Terrible.
Taste is a boozy mess with some raisin bread alcohol pudding thrown in there for good measure. Gross.
Mouthfeel is a little sticky but mostly clean. The problem is you don't want these flavors in your mouth after the initial taste. Nasty.
Overall I am going to poop on this one just like Stone did to all of us expecting something special out of this Vertical Epic nighmare. Booo on Stone.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

3.96/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into the Vertical Epic glass.

Pours a medium brown cherry bronze. Totally clear when poured carefully.

Smells like tart dark fruit and brown sugar.

Taste seemigly has no pepper left after a year. It tastes like a mildly spiced dubble with mild alcohol and bread crust.

Mouthfeel is clean and medium bodied.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

3.33/5  rDev -11%

A-deep amber color with an off-white head and minimal lacing

T-caramel malt, cinnamon, pepper, coriander, slight yeasty funk, minimal bitterness in the finish. The flavors just don't seem to blend well and not well-balanced.

F-medium body with moderate carbonation

O-awkward flavor profile, not my favorite in this series so far

2.28/5  rDev -39%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.75

Just cracked open this beer after aging it for over a year. It was kept in my fridge the whole time. May have been too cold to age, but I left it there more out of disinterest than anything else.

This pours a crystal clear cherry color, a dark red tending towards brown. Spots fo light tan head stick to the glass as you drink. Nose starts with lots of sweet caramel with allspice and some cinnamon. This smells like a spice cake. The sweetness is almost tangible. I get no peppers in the aroma. The flavor starts sweet too, with caramel, sweet bread, and rye. The candied sugar is heavy with this one. The flavors drift darker with some tobacco and very weak whisky. I can't tell what kind of hops are used, but they definitely are not the traditional West Coast varietals that Stone tends to favor. Most likely Saaz or another noble hop, as I get some nectar flavor and aroma. I also get some burnt Anaheim pepper taste, or maybe that's stale pepper heat? This beer finishes with severely burnt toast, and it lingers longer than it's welcome. The feel is slightly more watery than viscous, the finish dry.

I remember liking this on tap a year ago, but the heat is gone and something changed to give a burnt food flavor to it. Definitely not going to try again. I'm confused as to how I should rate it, though. The initial product was good, but aging it made it terrible. Keeping in mind that Stone advocated aging it, I decided not to hold back on the negativity in my rating. After all, this was confused at the get go. Is this a spiced beer, a traditional Belgian, or an American chili beer? Whatever Stone says it is, I say it's not very good.

2.1/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours very hazy amber, thin off-white head.

S- Overpowering spicy chili and a bit of cinnamon.

T- Very similar to the nose. It's basically all chiles. Cinnamon comes in a little on the aftertaste.

M- medium body and medium carbonation, but it is not easy to drink.

O- I don't know, maybe I let this sit for too long. I knew it would be spicy being brewed with Anaheim chilies and cinnamon, but this just obliterated any expectation I had. It is unbelievably spicy.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%