Love Belgian Beer?

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
California, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

Added by JAramini on 11-10-2011

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last
Reviews: 482 | Ratings: 1,522
2.31/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a dark red that is unusual but interesting. The aroma is a slight cinnamon sweetness with belgian yeast and chiles. At this point it is intriguing.

However, the flavor is all chiles up front that finishes with a merging of belgian yeast, chiles and just the slightest cinnamon which is barely detectable. The merging of the flavors is really more of a crashing, as they do not blend well together at all. They create a harsh aftertaste that is not enjoyable. I have another that I will age, hopefully the flavors work themselves out over time.

4.83/5  rDev +29.1%

Serving Type: Served from a 22oz. bomber into a Maudite tulip glass

Appearance: The beer begins with an off-white head that slowly dissipates. The color is auburn and date-like, similar to a strong dark Belgian ale.

Smell: Great smells here. I get a mix bag of a quick banana smell at the beginning, pears, and the green chili and alcohol mix to close the nose.

Taste: This ale starts with hints of pears and bananas. There is a copper tinge to the center of your tongue but this gives way to the green chili that becomes more noticeable as you drink the beer. A few minutes post drink the after-taste is slightly caramel-molasses-like.

Mouthfeel: The ale is a light mouthful, with a subtle biting syrup texture, and a light carbonation leaving my mouth with a slightly dry feeling.

Overall: Being from the Southwest I was very excited about this beer but nervous since I have already been subjected to so many bad chili beers. As usual Stone does not disappoint. I love the addition of green chilies which pair really well with this strong Belgian pale ale. I look forward to trying this ale with my brothers next year during our vertical tasting in El Paso.

2.57/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Bought at Keg Liquors in Clarksville, IN.
Drank from snifter glass.

A - Cloudy. Dark amber/brown color. Minimum carbonation with a lasting 1/2-1/4" head. Lacing is low to moderate.
S - Lots of DMS (canned corn) smell up front. Slight spiciness.
T - Tastes of DMS as well. Slight nuttiness. Jalapeño? finish.
M - Heavy body. Sticky and lasting.
O - I couldn't get past the DMS flavor and smell of this beer.

4.84/5  rDev +29.4%

Appearance - Amber-red color minimal lacing, but retains slight carbonation throughout.

Smell - The Chili and cinnamon are sharp at the beginning with a hint sweet malts, brown sugar, and caramel that round out the spices.

Taste - Flavor of Anaheim Chile without the spicy burn that were present when it was young followed by a lingering sweetness with just a hint of cinnamon and caramel. Although the alcohol is present, it is well hidden by the spices.

Mouthfeel - Minimal carbonation. Coats the tongue with a syrupy texture that lasts for a minute or more, and has a slight burn at the end that one would expect from the spices.

Overall - I've had this beer a couple of times over the last year, and this is the best it's been. Previously the spiciness of the chili overpowered the subtleties of the sweetness of the beer. The cinnamon, although very mild, provides a unique spice counter to the heat of the chili. Good balance, and although it's ready to drink now, I think it will improve even more with time.

Well done Stone!

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

I was surprised by the taste in comparison to the description. "Spicy beer?" was my initial thought, but it's more mellow than that. The chili taste is more of an aftertaste or aftersip. Banana and clove are more present than the cinnamon. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

4.17/5  rDev +11.5%

A - Pours rusty amber, pretty appealing, and surprising considering this is a Belgian base.

S - The chili hits me first, then the Belgian sweetness, then a faint trace of the cinnamon. Overall the mingle together into something that quite remarkable, in my opinion. As I continue to drink the bomber, more banana becomes prevalent.

T - Tastes like a very solid Belgian brew. The chili and cinnamon are faint, but still detectable. Maybe this is something that will change with age. The sweetness is not over the top like with some Belgian brews. There's more banana taste as the beer warms. I'm looking forward to having this again next year.

M - Carbonation is just right, doesn't overwhelm but is still very intriguing.

O - This is a pretty outstanding brew right now, and I can only see it getting better. I like it significantly more than when I first tried the 10.10.10. I know that might seem like an odd comparison but it's the only other Vertical Epic I've had. I'd definitely recommend picking up at least two.

1.48/5  rDev -60.4%

One of the worst beers I've ever tried. It tasted like someone put some Anaheim chilies in a blender and poured copious amounts of the puree into an already unbalanced beer.

I've had some ok chili beers, but this one was literally undrinkable. Any other redeeming qualities it might have had (mouthfeel, appearance) were completely overshadowed by the putrid chili taste. I like Anaheim peppers, and I like beer, but this mix was wretched.

Split a 22oz with a friend, each took a couple sips, and we both poured it out on the lawn.

firstprev| 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next → last