Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic AleStone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: Chile Beer

As with any good epic, herein lies the promise of larger-than-life experiences, heroics and twists & turns as the adventure unfolds. These bottle-conditioned ales are specifically designed to be aged until sometime after December 12th, 2012. Provided you can wait that long. At that time, enjoy them in a "vertical" tasting. Each one unique to it's year of release. Each with its own "twist & turn" in the plotline. Each one released one year, one month and one day from the previous year's edition. To remind you, the remaining dates are: 12.12.12

Added by JAramini on 11-10-2011

4.2

Ratings: 1,529 |  Reviews: 483
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

When I moved to first pour this one, I resisted the temptation to check the bottle to see what all was put in the beer to see if I could figure out what was in here. But after trying it, the beer seems crazy muddled with too much going on to be able to pick out individual characteristics. It's a decent enough drinker, but it seems clogged. Some more finesse would have been nice. A lot more at that.

3.83/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a clear, amber color. 1/3 inch head of an off-tan color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of yeast, sweet malt, slight citrus, hint of hop, and a hint of spice (coriander?). Fits the style of a Belgian Strong Pale Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with a low carbonation level. There is a heaviness associated with this beer. Tastes of alcohol, sweet malt, hint of dry hop, slight yeast, spice (all spice, cardamon?), hint of dark citrus, and a hint of wheat. Overall, good appearance, aroma, feel, and complexity. The blend is a little off; the spice dominates the finish.

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a bottle into a large wine glass, the beer is a vibrant, ruby-hued amber coloring with a steady dose of carbonation bubbling and a thin film of beige head. Very clean looking brew. Light clinging to the glass, but nothing that holds for a great length of time. Aromas of slightly sour and bready yeast characteristics, light candied and toffee malt profile, and sweet greens. The beer's flavors are dark roasted initially, with a baked caramel sweetness and some earthy tones to balance. There is a slight spicing throughout, with some pepper and clove presence. Medium bodied, there are only the slightest hints of the chiles throughout, but they help to keep the beer clean. The aftertaste is more of the tangy malt and slightly sour yeast, with a cinnamon spicing at the very end. The finish is clean, and slinks away without much distraction from the beer itself. Very tasty brew!

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer just arrived today. It pours a light brown with severe ruby red highlights and a beige lacing around my glass. The aromas are of cinnamon, nutmeg, cherries, plums, Belgian yeasts, figs, chocolate, and tobacco with a moderate chile finish. It's solid, and just enough chile to keep me interested. The flavor begins with short lived sweet malts with some slightly sweet cherries before going into a really nice chile profile that gives you a nice amount of chile spice and a nice amount of chile heat. That said, it could be hotter but it's still keeping me interested. The chile picks up a little too as it warms. I'm surprisingly a fan. It drinks between light and medium in body and has nice flavor. If this kept the amount of chile that it has now I'd be willing to get a couple of these and have one every once in awhile. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening. Overall this was a solid beer and I'm glad that Stone went with this approach.

4.03/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a medium dark red brown. One finger fine off-white head constantly renewed by carbonation. Looks nice. Aroma of Belgian yeast, banana and a hint of chile. Taste is interesting; banana Belgian flavor with a overtone of mild chile and cinnamon, finishes with a bitter chile cinnamon that clashes a bit with the beginning flavors. Nice medium creamy body An interesting experiment that almost works, but falls apart at the end. Glad I tried it.

3.58/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Another bottle shared by Chris (spycow). Served in a tulip.

A - White foam settles to a thick collar, wisps, and a few specks of lace. Transparent amber body.

S - Extremely vegetal - you can smell the chiles alright. Hint of cinnamon, and some sweet caramel malt. Not much Belgian character - Stone's yeast strain seems pretty mild in the phenol department.

T - The taste has more brown sugar and caramel malt flavor, with less of the chile and cinnamon I noticed in the aroma. Some unexpected citrus notes, perhaps from the yeast? Odd bitterness in the finish, not sure if it's from the chiles or some residual hops.

M - Smooth texture, medium-full body, well-hidden alcohol. Lower carbonation, and some chile heat the grows over time.

D - I'm not convinced the Belgian yeast and the chiles work quite well together. Might have been more interested fresh, but I'd skip it at this point. A disappointment seeing how much I like chile beers.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

4.25/5  rDev +13%

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

Appearance: pours a dark amber color with a short wispy head.

Smell: spicy yeast, cinnamon, and some malt sweetness comes through to the nose.

Taste: nice malty brew with loads of cinammon, a bit of spicy peppers, black pepper spice, belgian yeast, a hint of chocolate, and a decent bitterness. Alcohol is mildly noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crsip throughout. Aftertaste is long lasting.

Overall: easy to drink, but slow sipping with the spiciness of it all. Should be nice in a year from now when it mellows a bit.

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

At the time of this review, this is the #5 top Chile Beer on the beeradvocate.com best of style lists. Served from a 22 ounce bottle into a Vertical Epic glass because I am one sick badass. I pity you, just so you know.

Beer is light brown, light a burnt amber, clear, big bubble carbonation, thin head, low retention, no lacing. Looks OK.

Aroma is mostly sweet mildly, semi-spicy, mild pepper flavor.

Beer is medium in body, really sweet, interesting like a dubbel with a chili chilli chile flavor to the back ground. It finishes nicely and tastes really good. I would and will have it again next year.

3.08/5  rDev -18.1%

22 oz bottle finally made its way to my area. Grabbed one to review fresh and one for the cellar. Poured into multiple tulip glasses.

A: Brownish-red colored body with an initially nice off-white head, but it dissipated rapidly. A thin retention ring and barely any lace on the glass. The bubbles are tiny and tight, not thick or creamy.

S: Lots of banana and yeast notes up front. The cinnamon definitely comes in with subsequent sniffs, as well as some actual pepper flesh nothing spicy or stinging. Clove, pale and caramel malts with a small dash of bitter hops towards the end. Not overly aromatic to say the least, sort of boring. You definitely get a Belgian spin.

T: First sip brings the Belgian-centric nature of this beer, lots of clove, banana and spicy yeast notes. The cinnamon barely shows up in the taste save for a certain dry grittiness I'm trying to attribute to it. Chiles/peppers? Maybe, but it's that raw, sliced flesh. There's no heat or spiciness from them. Malty in the backbone and into the finish. I don't know, this isn't terrible but it's not delicious.

M: Highly active carbonation, very bubbly and fizzy on the palate. It's cleansing but doesn't help give this beer any body. I'm pretty indifferent here.

Well, this isn't mind-blowing nor anything I'd consider a great beer. It has a lot of interesting elements to it, but I feel the flavors labeled that I would think would give it a different flavor profile failed to show up in the taste. OK, but I don't need this one again.

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

3.23/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a tulip.

Appearance: well, I'm not certain I'd call this a "pale" ale. It has a rich, ruddy amber hue, with only the tiniest hint of haze to the body. Cap is a finger of nice ivory foam. Not bad.

Smell: mild aroma which has a lot of yeast character. There's spiciness, breadiness, biscuit and just a hint of band-aids. Not bad, but not really my cup o' tea.

Taste: nice earthy malt flavor provides a base for the chilies. These come through with a fresh peppery flavor right from the beginning. Heat is low, but I can feel it building slowly as I drink. I'm not, personally, sold on chili beers, and while I appreciate what they are trying to do here, I don't love this beer. Competent and well-made, but not really tasty.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a pretty decent carbonation and resulting creaminess. Sokay.

Overall: this beer doesn't really appeal to me, but if you like chili beers then it is definitely worth your time.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

4.27/5  rDev +13.6%

On-tap at Kelly Korner Tavern in a shaker pint. On to the beer:

Looks brownish amber in color with a small white head which leaves spots of lacing around the glass. There are a lot of chili peppers in the nose, and just when you think it's one-dimensional, out comes a fruity Belgian yeast character that hits the spot.

I anticipated a really spicy beer, and while the spice is there, it doesn't kill your paalte. In fact, it's quite complimentary to the Belgian yeast characteristics. Dark fruits like plums and raisin, also some unsweetened chocolate. There's little (if any) sign of the alcohol, which at the time I suspected was just under 8%, not the listed 9.4%.

To my surprise, I liked this quite a bit.

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

Cinnamon and and peppers are well faded, more cinnamon and caramel malt than anything.
Very faint cinnamon in the nose with very little pepper. Medium body, slick mouthfeel.

Uneventful and I should have opened this right after I bought it a few years ago.

2.91/5  rDev -22.6%

Count me as one that didn't enjoy this beer. Mild peppers? For me, the chili peppers just dominate this beer, and it's not so much that I don't like peppers in beer, since I've had several I like, but I think it's the type of pepper used. That green, spicy pepper flavor clashes with the other notes here and dominates them completely. The peppers are too bright and fruity to allow the other flavors to develop. I prefer either a smokier, more brooding pepper, which works particularly well with darker beers, or something subtler. I did have a siracha mild once that was delicious, but other flavors were at work there aside from just the heat and green vegetal qualities of the peppers. An interesting idea, but I think this should have been saved for a draught one-off, rather than made the 11/11/11. Oh well, not for me.

Stone 11.11.11 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing