Bear Republic / Fat Head's / Stone TBA | Stone Brewing

3.77/5
Alströms:

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Shared with areich6 poured into a wine glass for classiness biches

A- Brown ale? Nailed it! Pours quite brown with some tan head that sticks around with a lot of retention

S- All hops! Smells like a sweeter/maltier version of Alpha King and I love it!

T- Brown ale? Fuck that! This is a super hopped up IPA boys and don't expect anything less. The hops destroy your mouth with their resin and leave you begging for mercy

M- I can't tell if this is as carbonated as I think it is or if the hops are wrecking my palate. Either way the hops dominate this beer from beginning to end

O- I went into this knowing it was a super hoppy brown ale. The brown ale part is for color only as this beer is hopped to death. Enjoy!

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

Decent collab I just wasnt very stoked on a hoppy brown its kind of a weird try in mixing beer styles. The brown sugar comes
Through but I think the added sugar leaves the malt favors wanting and keeps an off hop flavor that is prominent in the taste. Decent but like many of the stone collabs I think this one could have been much better

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Appearance - dark Dr Pepper looking brown with a reddish tint when held up to the light. Kinda reminds me of an Arrogant Bastard, but with a lot more brown to it. The brown definitely came from the chosen malts of: Maris Otter, Munich, Victory, wheat and Chocolate malts.

Smell - My lowest rating at 3.5 for this beer, it states it's made with Brown Sugar & Molasses, but none can truly be detected with the "Extra Hoppy Brown Ale" tagging taking over the aroma far much more. Aggresively hopped with Columbus, Bravo, Brewers' Gold, and Cascade hops, and that's all I can smell really.

Taste - Creamy brown ale, with a hint of sweet taste upfront from the molasses and brown sugar I'm guessing. It follows, and transitions quickly into a hop and more hop flavor from the 4 hops used. Finishes with a bittering flavor, but refreshing with lemon-y, piney, flavor.

Mouthfeel - Slick, and creamy and flows down extremely smooth.

Overall - I would probably purchase this beer again, but at $3.00 a bottle maybe not. Great beer collaboration, but overall, too overly hopped for me, and I think the brown sugar and molasses, and malt should've shown up a bit more. But I do like my hops, and this fits the bill right in the middle.

4.75/5  rDev +26%

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Picked up a 12oz bottle from Olive Tree Market here in Ocean Beach for $2.99 and poured it into a Brouwerij 't Ij branded tulip glass.

A: Hazed cola brown, fat head and tons of thick lace from start to finish.

S: No hiding the brown sugar and molasses - both are up front and bold. Mild herbal hop, fresh mint, slightly medicinal - burdock and sassafrass.

T: On point with the nose but flavors are less bold than what the nose suggested. The flavor is nice though, just less complex with the hop cranked up in the mix which dominates most of the other flavors (I guess one should expect this from a "Extra Hoppy Brown Ale").

M: Good amount of carbonation that makes for a crisp refreshing medium bodied ale. The hop lingers a while as well which is nice.

Tasty brown IPA - nothing more, nothing less.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a murky reddish brown amber. Half finger off-white head with good retention and lacing. Aroma is intense herbal and citrus hops and light sweet malt. Nice flavor of piney, citrus hops, sweet malt and brown sugar with a lemony hop finish. Nice medium creamy body. Seems somewhat understated at first, but as it warms, the flavor integration and progression are quite nice. I liked the unusual sweet citrus flavors in this. Very nice ale and another great Stone collaboration.

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

This beer has a cool video to go with it, I'm digging Matt Cole's beers I've enjoyed Headhunter and Citra Pale ale recently both excellent brews. Pours a ruddy deep burgundy, amber brown color with a big thicket of deep khaki tan head forming thick and dwindling slows. My bottle has a cool spiel about Matt's homebrewing days and being kicked out of competitions for a beer to dark and bitter to make it into any style categories. Aroma has a big leafy, mint, and citrus kick going on completely green with hops with some welcoming brown malts backing it up. Flavor has a nice mix of assertive hop bitterness, I'm getting citric hops, floral notes, with an earthy spicy hop bite. Even mint herbal qualities colliding with some darker malts and brown sugar and molasses qualities, I'm getting assertive hop burps with each sip. Upfront big hops I mentioned fade to a balanced stand still to hints of brown sugar and darker malts with a sticky sugar coated malt character never becoming cloying. Keeps it balanaced finishes big and bitter, oily hop texture each sip is smoother than the next mellow carbonation bubbles slowly...I'd call it a full bodied IBA, in this case it's a Texas Brown Ale what's more American than Tay-haas. Overall I'm glad I got the Matt Cole bottle by chance with a great Fathead's cape snugged between Bear Republic and Stone's Gargoyle, I feel that my area has received a bit of a nod from the accomplished West Coast brewers.

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a light lemony ice tea color; quite see through. The head is dense and cready, settles into a light cap.

The aroma is light and sugary sweet. Not much from the malt at all. The beer has a pop-rock type sweetness that adds some life to the beer, its a bit weird but works.

The taste falls in line with a traditional IPA. Bitter hop flavors, with pine and sap being forefront. The malt is bready with a slight wood flavor. A touch of a tea flavor in the finish. More of an IPA than brown ale.

Moderate body with big fizzy carbonation. Good balance between malty sweet and hoppy bitterness. The bitterness does win in the end. Drinks well.

Definitely more of an IPA than brown ale. Not much from the malt, besides the darker color, that would tell me that this is a brown ale. Needs more of a malt influence.

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

I'm back in SoCal and this is one of the first things I picked up. Sort of a murky, medium brown with a lasting cap of mocha foam. Sticky lacing, mostly fine bubbles. Hops hit the nose first -- pine resin more than anything else. A little citrus and bready/dark malts as it warmed, perhaps a bit of molasses. An appealing juxtaposition. The flavour fell a little flat, muted malts and hops up front followed by strong, lingering bitterness. This type of profile made me think of hop extract more than anything else. Malt was a bit bready, slight dark kilned character, maybe a bit of residual sweetness from the unrefined parts of the added sugars. The texture was decent, soft carbonation with medium body, smooth and inviting. Overall this was a mixed bag. There were parts I liked (ie. aroma and texture) and parts I didn't enjoy so much (flava). I'd probably try it again if I found it on draft, but wouldn't purchase again.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

2.74/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Pours a hazy brown, very similar to iced tea, really nice off-white head, great retention and sticky lacing; looks pretty good. The aromas are pretty subtle, I was expecting it be more vibrant. Lots of earthy notes, grass, and a touch of pine. There's a touch of chocolate in the mix as well. Tastes metallic. Lots of pine and bitterness. It's almost an unenjoyable bitterness, and it doesn't go away. Lots of caramel malts in the mix. Molasses and a touch of burnt brown sugar are in the mix. I'm getting some lemon flavors, but it really lacks a fruitiness. Maybe that's not what they were going for. It's very robust and rustic. Not flashy. Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, maybe too much carbonation, but it's pretty smooth although it has a semi-syrupy quality. Surprisingly, the alcohol is noticeable.

Fat Head's and Stone are a couple of my favorites and they're masters at hoppy beers. Bear Republic is no joke either. I had high expectations for whatever reason, but this was a letdown for me. Not really enjoyable for me at all. Odd beer..

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

Clear brown ale with a small tan colored head.

Smell is extremely hoppy. Strong citrus scent particularly strong orange aroma. Toasted bread and carrot scents. Slight coffee aroma but the orange scent is really strong.

Starts out tasting of burnt toast with some citrus on it. Patent malt with a quite noticeable charred barley flavor. Taste of carrot. Medium bitterness most Orange rind taste.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a tasty yet weird beer.

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

If it's an Extra Brown Ale, shouldn't this be called an EBA? Whatever it's called, I have faith in the product inside, provided by Stone and Bear Republic's level of quality (I know nothing of Fathead's yet). So, on to the beer:

Strings of lace cling to glass after a large foaming head forms and in general retains very well. The color is brown, and there are hues of muddy orange mixed in at points. It has a very hoppy nose, and it feels very Stone-like in that respect. Fresh, oily hops with pine and bitter grapefruit take the show. Brown sugar is there, but it tends to stay as a backdrop. Those who read my reviews know that I'm not very keen towards hoppy brown ales, but here we're off to an unlikely great start.

It's more IPA than brown ale, however the brown ale part does make it's appearances. There plenty of grapefruit and lychee to make you believe that this was an IPA. Bits of toasted toffee and brown sugar work into the flavor. It has a medium body, and it's extremely smooth and on the oily side.

Extra Brown? After this episode, I say India Brown. Tally it as another good one.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.06/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle, pours a ruddy brown with a thin light brown head that actually holds a bit of retention as foam atop the ale. Still nothing special to look at. Aroma is great! Lots of fruity hops, floral hops, brown sugar, and molasses. Fruity hops are up front in taste as well, followed by the brown sugar and molasses, a hint of chocolate, followed by a nice bitter citric/piny hop finish. Mouth-feel is full and smooth. Goes down easy and is refreshing. Overall, an an American Brown Ale, this is not an accurate representation of the style, but for what I think the collaboration of brewers were shooting for, this is well done.

4.09/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a hazy, almost silty brown, like the color of cola, with a 2" off-white head that reduces with tons of sticky lacing.

Has a very piney, hoppy aroma, with loads of evergreeny goodness. There's an undercurrent of maple and brown sugar, and a hint of biscuity malt.

Starts and finishes bitter, yet sweet; the maple and brown sugar are quite present, but the piney hops, full of resin and sticky sap, do what they can to crush the sweet and leave a lingering hopped finish. There's an aftertaste of an ole-timey sweet, like a rootbeer hard candy taste that, once I identified it, was difficult to ignore.

Medium mouthfeel, this has more of a DIPA feel than a brown ale feel.

While the strength is not quite that if a DIPA, this beer smells and tastes like a highly malted DIPA, with a deeper and darker color that you'd otherwise expect. I understand this is supposed to be an "old school" brown ale, but I've got to believe that old school brown ales were never this aromatic or hoppy. I'm enjoying this quite a bit, but at $4 a pop and as intense as it is, this is a one and done.

Bear Republic / Fat Head's / Stone TBA from Stone Brewing