Bear Republic / Fat Head's / Stone TBA | Stone Brewing

Style: American Brown Ale

Added by MasterSki on 01-14-2012

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle from Sunset Beer Co.

- Darkish Honey Brown Color with a thick Beige (I said beige) head

- Abstract candy caramel smell with citrusy hops. Similar to More Black than Brown, but sweeter.

- Almost like a great IPA, but it's not. Strong Ale maybe? Taste is not something to sleep on. It is tasty to boot.

- Mouth Feel is clean and hoppy.

- Overall - This is a must try beer. I've yet to be disappointed by collaboration beer from Stone. Enjoy!

4.77/5  rDev +26.5%

Pours out nice a dark, It really does look great. Decent head. The smell hits you right away with the brown sugar and molasses with the hoppy stone scent. When you first taste it, it lives up to the inviting smell and does what it's try to do as a texas brown ale great.The mouthfeel is fine, not off the charts. I had this along with quite a few other beers and this one was my favorite.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

[Poured into a mason jar]

I: Stone's collaborations have been hit and miss with me, but are always priced fair. After viewing the promotional video, for stones "TBA", in collab with Bear Republic (love em) and Fat Head's (haven't tried them), I knew there was a chance for something truly special. So I dashed to my local bevmo, and picked up three bottles, and oh some hog heaven, but that's comes next. This brew is also stones first use of cascade hops (the most widely used hops), which will be interesting to see. I really enjoyed the 2012 Old guardian, so lets see if we can keep this train rolling.

B: [7.1 ABV. 12 FL. Oz] Not much deviation from the "More Brown Than Black IPA", so not much to say (that's not saying it isn't a nice bottle). Whether this is shelf worthy, depends on my score. As for ingredients, "specialty malts, molasses, brown sugar, Columbus, Bravo, Brewers' Gold, and for the fist time ever at Stone Cascade hops!". Very intriguing and I'm always grateful, that stone includes a lot of information of their bottles. Bottle date, "Drink Fresh, Do Not Age". Now on to appearance.

A: Hazy dark brown, non transparent body, with scattered bubbly/fluff head (moderate dissipation), and pretty nice lacing.

S: Upfront I smell those dry cascade hops with brown sugar, followed by molasses and toasty/biscuity malt.

T: Piney molasses and biscuity malt throughout, followed by those cascade hops, brown sugar and spicy grapefruit.

M: Slightly slick/dry finish, light/medium bodied, moderate carbonation, and low alcohol presence.

O: So is TBA a winner? For 2.99, yes it is. It's an interesting brew, but I don't think I can call it special. I enjoyed "the more brown than black ipa" more, but that doesn't mean this isn't a good beer. It's touted as Texas style and with that I didn't expect to get such an earthy presence. I would say that this is stone second best collaboration. Go ahead and pick up a few, you can do no wrong. Aplausos!!!

4.85/5  rDev +28.6%

A- Pours a thick brown/red color that seems slightly cloudy. Looks the color of brown sugar. Pours a 2 finger head with slight lacing sticking to the glass.

S- Smells like any other Stone beer with their signature style. Not as strong of a hop aroma, but still present.

T- Wonderful. The brown sugar is definitely present on the back end. Leaves a sweet taste after each sip. A very good brown ale that is extra hoppy as advertised.

M- Moderate carbonation and the molasses/brown sugar notes cling to your palate.

O- Overall this is one of the better brown ales I've had. Goes down smooth and is pretty damn tasty. Definitely a unique beer and worth a try if you can find it!

firstprev| 551-575 | 576-600 | 601-625  | next → last