Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone RuinTen Triple IPAStone RuinTen Triple IPA
4.3/5
Outstanding
Stone RuinTen Triple IPAStone RuinTen Triple IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

Added by ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

#517

Ratings: 5,837 |  Reviews: 907

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L -- Dark amber/gold color with a slight off-white head.

S -- Lots of hoppy tropical fruit, pineapple especially, with a dank end note.

T -- Same tropical hops up front, great bitter dankness; malts come through lightly towards the end along with mint. I usually hate mint, but it's pleasing and somehow fitting here. The flavors are all bold and I really dig it.

F -- Great smooth feel, goldilocks level thickness. The carb/booze level warmed my tongue a bit.

O -- Really delicious beer. The booze is hidden well and the flavor profile is great to me. I could drink this any day!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance. Hazy light amber hued. Pours with 3 fingers of white head, which dissipates leaving beautiful sticky lacing on the side of the glass leaving a half a finger.

Smell. A huge, almost overwhelming, burst of citric hops with grapefruit and orange. Balancing this is some pinyness and herbal character. There is a subtle medicinal quality behind all of this as well.

Taste. Starts out with a grapefruit citrus quality. Pineyness cuts in with a building resinous quality on the palate. The resinous-ness come to a climax with an addition of the grapefruit flavor again. On the back end of this climax an onion flavor develops and dominates until the finish which is dry, bitter, and onion/garlicky. The characteristic california yeast flavor, or lack thereof is present throughout.

Mouthfeel. A carbonated creamyness. Nice thick body, perfect for the style.

I dont remember enough about regular ruination to compare it to that, but this is certainly a great example of a hop bomb... and then some.

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured on draught at a local brewery. The sweetness of this beer just jumps out at me. What a great taste and feel. Very Creamy. While I get the citrus somewhat it's the sweetness that sticks. I think that to me over takes everything else which would normally be a bad thing but not here. This is that delicious. Well-done

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Low malt character. Which is great for me in my IPA's. Big hops, orange juice, with some grapefruit. Not much pine, but it's there. I get the oiliness coming through from the hops. Very big Double/Triple IPA.

Still prefer Enjoy By as my go-to IPA from Stone, but this is a great once a year offering.

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured into a goblet style glass

A - Pours a light amber, creamy off white head one finger.

S - A lot, I mean a lot of citrus hops on the nose. Grapefruit and pineapple is what I'm getting. A lot of malt in the background.

T - Grapefruit & orange peel leading into sweet pineapple. A bit of pine resin. Finishes with a bitter ending. Nice malt balance as well.

M - Medium bodied, oily finish, great carbonation.

O - I'm pleasantly surprised! Loving this beer! It's so well balanced that I can see a lot of palettes gravitating towards it.

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm currently holding an IMPERIAL version of Stone's Ruination IPA. Craziness. This anniversary edition has 3% more alcohol on the bill, thanks to the addition of more malt and double the amount of hops, including a one pound dose of both centennial and citra hops for dry-hopping. Yowza.

Ruination is one of my all time favorite IPAs. Do these extra additions throw off the balance of perfection? We will soon find out. I'm pouring from a bomber with the obligatory badass silk screen gargoyle artwork and a long diatribe on the back, which is strangely not about how unworthy we all are to be drinking this beer. The best by date is 8/23/2012 and I poured this into an imperial pint glass.

A: This beer pours a clear amber/orange with a thick white head with good lacing and retention. Looks inviting.

S: Smell is, surprise, hops. It's very tropical and dank.

T: Wow...this one is intense. It starts with waves of orange, pineapple and mango crashing into the palate. About halfway through, there's a nice pine and slight bitterness. Finishes bitter, as well. There's more malt expression in this beer, but it's pretty much required due to the insane amount of hops.

M: Mouthfeel is what you would expect from an 11% IPA: thick, viscous, oily, and slick. For 11%, there is surprisingly little alcohol burn (probably because it's overpowered by hops.) It drinks easy enough, especially for a strong and intense IPA.

O: My palate is officially shot for the night. This beer nails a perfect hop intensity with a malt balance. I believe it's better than the normal Ruination. Think what you want about Stone, but you cannot deny their passion for beer. This beer perfectly embodies their love for beer and dedication to brewing.

Stone has always been one of my top breweries, and this beer solidifies their position at near the top of my list. Get this one while you can, drink it fresh, and cheers!

4.59/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Light copper, large off white lacy head
S: Citrus, biscuty malts, a hint of alcohol
T: Very hop forward, citrus, a bit of pine, less pronounced sweet malts and just a touch of alcohol
M: Nice carbonation, relatively clean considering how hoppy the flavor is
O: Outstanding, one of the best IPAs I have had all summer.

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA from Stone Brewing