Stone RuinTen Triple IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone RuinTen Triple IPAStone RuinTen Triple IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

Added by ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

4.3

Ratings: 5,828 |  Reviews: 905
4.34/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

22 ounce snifter, bottled on 6/12/15, into a snifter.

Pours a good looking copper color, lightly hazy, with a small head and not much lacing. Smell is a boatload of hops- citrus, mostly grapefruit and orange, some pine, a little dank. Malt comes through, maybe a little yeast. Smells great. Taste is led by bitter, juicy hops and more malt than the nose. It's bitter, but not rip your face off bitter. To me, the malt provides a solid backbone. Really smooth for the ABV and the big hop presence. Refreshing.

There's no big palette of unique tastes battering your senses here. Just hops and malt expertly blended. Everyone should try this; I'll be buying it every year.

3.98/5  rDev -7.4%

3.78/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very very big. Abundant in all things IPA related. Huge hop character, massive malts and more than alot of alcohol. A bit too boozy for me. I love what stone can do with hops tho.

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%

4.44/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a deep golden color. Has a sweet malty aroma with a slight bit of citrus in the background. Flavor follows the smell. Definitely a malt forward IPA with a bitter citrus peel flavor at the end. Pretty well balanced overall

4.84/5  rDev +12.6%

4.3/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: light copper with a cappuccino foam head that dissipates moderately. Translucent with what looks to be low-moderate carbonation.

Nose: hello, grapefruit! Lots of caramel sweetness and grapefruit hop bitterness in the nose. This is a definite celebration of hops. Tons of leafy, lemony, piney backbone to the nose but a lot of sweetness up front. This is pure unadulterated hop smell. You can detect a slight breadiness at the back, but this beer smells as close to sticking your head into a bucketful of hops as any.

Taste: I was expecting this to be a lot like dogfish head 120 minute but it's quite different. It's cleaner than I thought it would be from the nose. Crispy bready notes deliver a wave of hop bitterness that finishes almost bone dry. It's as if someone spread hop butter on toast and then turned it into a beer. For what I thought was going to be quite a gimmicky beer, this is quite good. The hops are delivered very well in a restrained but not so restrained kind of way. I mean this is the most pure hop flavor I've ever gotten from a beer but it is done in this gourmet way almost. This is a deceptively simple presentation of pure hop flavor. There's just this solid malt balance underneath that delivers the hop flavor that is really impressive.

Mouthfeel: very enjoyable mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation is perfect for the style and the flavor profile. It would be cloying otherwise.

Overall/drinkability: this is much more drinkable than I had expected, but it is still quite the hoppy beer. Don't get me wrong, I love me some hops, but this one is not something I would have very often. A great offering by stone that I would definitely recommend for a try. It's just a little too forward to have all the time. A great comparison would be to a great tasting menu at a contemporary restaurant. It's a great experience that you wouldn't take back, but you won't be back for a while.

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.99/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.81/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.55/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.13/5  rDev -4%

RuinTen looks like an amber amulet, something you could buy at a museum gift shop. The beer is glossy, clear, resplendent, and completely flat (the lack of head is unsurprising given it's almost 11% alcohol). I've poured it into a tulip glass but it would look even more at home in a snifter.

I don't know exactly what five pounds of hops per barrel should equates to, but it's definitely something you can smell. This aroma is a cauldron of boiled-down pineapple juice, infused with macerated grapefruit skins and generous handfuls of a variety of botanicals. Plus some unavoidable alcohol. I better get comfy because I suspect I'm about to sink into my chair.

'Best Before' dates on beer would make me laugh if they didn't make me so angry. I go red in the face when brewers claim their IPAs are good for another two years. Really? Get out of here. Fortunately, the fines folks at Stone are of like-mind about this issue. They do it right - they stamp the "bottled on" date (well, that or they put the "enjoy by" date right in the name).

Hence, I know this bottle of RuinTen is 7 weeks old. Not exactly fresh but not old either. Regardless, I can still feel the green of the hops on my face. I can hear a tropical breeze whisking through palm trees. I can smell the rainy dew and dead brush of a northern forest. This flavour profile is abundant in many things: botanicals, citrus fruits, grass and pine chief among them.

Everyone preaches balance as if it's the be-all and end-all but it's not necessarily. RuinTen is one-dimensional and unsubtle - that's the idea. Stone, by their own admission, calls this "indelicate" and "belligerent". They're not wrong. But for those of us who like that kind of thing it's immensely gratifying. If you're a glutton for hop punishment then it doesn't really get more pleasurable than this.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very tasty brew from Stone. I really enjoyed this quality beer. It kicks you in the teeth to start but seems to finish quite smoothly. I recommend it.

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2015 vintage, drank within 3 weeks of bottling. Dank hop aroma, but I felt the beer was too malty and overpowering from an ABV perspective. Not much balance to be had here

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

22 oz bottle. dark Amber pour. Rich hoppy taste.

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA from Stone Brewing