Stone RuinTen Triple IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone RuinTen Triple IPAStone RuinTen Triple IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We first released this decidedly indelicate beer in 2012, as Stone Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA, to celebrate the 10th anniversary of our belovedly bitter Stone Ruination IPA. Stone RuinTen IPA uses the same recklessly hoppy recipe as the 2012 release; only the name has changed, as we plan to unleash this belligerently delicious hop monster upon the public annually from now on. We packed a whopping five pounds of hops into each barrel, and cranked up the ABV to stand up to the hop onslaught. The results are glorious, and we know you'll rejoice in tasting this audacious gem of hoppy splendor once again. You're welcome.

Added by ehammond1 on 06-14-2012

#508

Ratings: 5,835 |  Reviews: 906

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.06/5  rDev -5.6%

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Orange-amber color and cloudy. Small head but it leaves some thick streaks of lace.

Powerful, floral hop aroma. This has a strong grapefruit and alcohol to the nose. Spicy and inviting.

Starts with a decent malt base and the hop that comes in the swallow isn't altogether surprising, but its strength is far stronger than I expected. Very warming to the throat. Long bitter aftertaste. Neutral body with an above average carbonation.

4.39/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours an effervescent amber with 2 fingers of beige head. Decent lacing & head retention

S: Grapefruit & grapefruit pith, plus boozeyness

T: Grapefruit pineyness, woodiness, dryness & a touch of caramel up front. Some breadyness, much pineyness, & a boatload of grapefruit, plus a truckload of pineapple, plus orange peel as this warms. Finishes piney, mucho grapefruitty & cakey

MF: Big bodied, slightly carbonated, sticky, warming, great balance

Great DIPA, would love to see this more often, a hophead's delight; drinks fantastic for being such a massive & flavorful beer

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

22 ounce bottle - $7.49 at Charlie's Beer and Wine in Marietta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a dark orange-gold body with nearly two inches of near white foam.

Smell: Pointedly aromatic with some harsh resins, cutting florals, pure citrus oils, and enough alcohol to shrivel the nostrils. I was hoping for beautiful, for vivaciousness. Instead, it's just harsh. Some soften hints of overcooked sugar cookies and toasted grain do little to round it out.

Taste: A mercurial dose of sugar cookies, toasty grains. Then, alcohol and throat-scalding resins. Sip of pure citrus juices. A tad caustic. The bitterness is very high, and it's this bitterness along with the alcohol to angrily shoves you towards the burning finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. A bit of beefiness to the mouthfeel. Just a bit.

Overall: I feel like a champ for getting halfway through this thing!

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

Today is the annual IPA Day and I wanted to do something special to celebrate. I was able to purchase a couple of bottles from my local bottle shop when they initially went on sale and since it is marked "Limited Edition - Enjoy Fresh", it occurred to me that today might be the day to break it out.

From the bottle: "In June 2002, we released Stone Ruination IPA. Bigger, hoppier, & much much [italicized] much more bitter than the popular beers of the day. In fact, back then it was on the outer fringe of craft brewing. So, in a bid to warn folks of the bitter impact of our "Liquid Poem to the Glory of the Hop", we named it Stone Ruination, for its extraordinarily bitter, "ruinous effect" on the palate. People thought we were nuts. Nobody would want such a bitter beer. You see, in June 2002, only a tiny handful of breweries either had bottled a double IPA as a limited release or had one on tap at their brewpub. Without realizing it, we'd made a bit of history, as our new beer proved to be the first full-time brewed & bottled double IPA on the planet. How times have changed. Today, double IPAs are brewed by literally hundreds of craft breweries all over the world. Incredible. Delicious. And incredibly delicious.

No, we didn;t create the double IPA style. That honor's been attributed to our old friend, Vinnie Cilurzo, who produced his Blind Pig 1st Anniversary IPA in 1996 in nearby Temecula, CA (the same year Stone opened). We then picked up the double IPA baton with our successively-ever-bigger-and-hoppier Stone 2nd through 5th Anniversary IPAs (1998-2001). Ultimately, in 2002, we blended those recipes to create Stone Ruination IPA, if for no other reason than we simply wanted that big, hoppy character available to us all year 'round. Turned out you did, too! Today Stone Ruination IPA is one of the best selling double IPAs in the world, thanks to you, so we brewed this special version to celebrate."

I set this aside for International IPA Day and here we are! It poured with a massive two fingers of deep-tan head with excellent retention, leaving sticky lace behind as it fell. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity. Nose was dense with citrus hops, caramel malt and alcohol heat. I almost needed a seat belt before beginning! Mouthfeel was full, kind of viscous and quite oily on the tongue with lots of citrusy hops on the tongue. Phew! I know that I was missing subtleties in it, but the heat was masking a lot of it for me. Finish was beyond dry, it was f**king arid! Man, I wanted a glass of water just to be able to catch my breath. Phew! This was quite the beer, but a steady diet would be too much, even for this self-avowed hophead.

4.3/5  rDev 0%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a one finger, bone white head. Decent retention, very nice thin lacing all around the glass.

S: Lots of pine bitterness mixed with some tropical fruit, some grapefruit and a little bit of pineapple. There is a good bit of malt as well, some caramel, and a bit of sweetness.

T: Lots of juicy tropical fruits, some grapefruit and zesty rind with some nice pine near the finish. Not as malty as the aroma, just a bit of sugary sweetness to balance it...slightly.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks pretty smooth, no real sign of the abv, maybe a very faint warmth to it.

O: For a DIPA (maybe a triple?), this is nicely balanced with a good bit of malty goodness backing up the fantastic hop bill.

3.88/5  rDev -9.8%

22oz brown bomber with a vintage date.

LOOK: Hazed over, amber glow, head perfection

SMELL: Orange pulp, resin, melon rind, grapefruit, alcohol, fresh grass, hemp oil

TASTE: Full body, creamy, resin, bitter, orange peel, palate ruined, faint breadiness, crackers, alcohol, esters, faintly solvent, hoppiness rules, bitter hoppy finish

WTF, happy anniversary to a beer that has taken over my palate time and time again and this is what we get ... a beer that is a palate destroyer. LOL, thank you Stone. Gratz!!

4.1/5  rDev -4.7%

Picked this up a few days ago at City Swaggers in NYC. 22 oz. bottle poured into my Bell's tulip.

a - Pours a deep, hazy orange-amber color with one and a half fingers of fluffy off white head and moderate carbonation evident. Head lasts for about two minutes and leaves some spotty lacing on the glass.

s - Smells of citrus hops, oranges, pine hops, some tropical fruits, fruity malts, and
grapefruits. Lots of hops; a very nice nose.

t - Tastes of fruity malts, citrus hops, oranges, grapefruit, pine hops, and lemon. Moderate to high bitterness. Not quite as hoppy as the nose, but still quite nice.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Smooth and moderate to high bitterness in the taste.

o - Overall a very good DIPA. I find the normal Ruination a good DIPA, though not my favorite, and I find this one very similar, except a little more orange/citrus and hops in the nose, and more bitterness in the mouthfeel and taste. A good beer; if you like the normal Ruination you'll probably love this one, if you don't then I would pass on it as it is very similar.

4.25/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks so much to my brother tenderbranson69 for gifting me with this for my birthday -tasted during our birthday tasting -enjoyed chilled from a tulip.

The color is a deep golden with good clarity, lightly hazed with thick white cap. The smell is a mix of pine with some tropical fruit odors, possibly pineapple with a hint of alcohol and light sweet ester. The feel is intense, lots of bitterness, lots of oily hop and moderately carbonation with generally dry body and subtle alcohol influence.

The flavor is great I love how the extra dry hopping adds to the perception of intense hoppiness based on the aroma, lots of piney grapefruit and light tangy hop flavors with subtle tings of pineapple and grass with mostly fruity accent from the yeast and peppery tinge from the hops accentuated by the alcohol which is there, but not oppressive. This is another great hop forward offering from Stone I am glad I got to try this amped up version of Ruination which is a great double IPA in its own right.

3.76/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Deep amber. Clear. Small white head. Just some wisps on the surface.

Smell - Boozy, wow. Aggressive grapefruit and pine hop. Not a distinct hop profile, but nice. The malt profile is strong, but booze is more prominent.

Taste - Still really boozy. Grapefruit and some brighter citrus. Caramel malt is accentuated more than the sugars, although it retains some sweetness. A lot of booze, though. Aggressive bittering hops that build with each sip. Really boozy finish.

Mouthfeel - Heavier than your average double IPA. Excessively boozy.

Overall - I definitely enjoy regular Ruination over this. Rough alcohol and not enough of a hop profile to justify it.

4.27/5  rDev -0.7%

Served on-tap at Al's of Hampden into a snifter.

A - Pours slightly hazed golden orange with a nice one finger tall white head leaving sticky streaks of lace down parts of the glass.

S - Smells of fresh cut tropical fruits - mostly mango and grapefruit - pungent piney hops, fresh cut grass and an appropriate amount of caramel malt.

T - Starts off with a huge dose of piney hop resin and sweet caramel malt slowly giving way to hints of mango, grapefruit, pineapple, fresh grass and lightly toasted bread. Alcohol is ever present, growing stronger as it sits in the glass, but it never really gets in the way. Finish retains quite a bit of the hop bitterness, leaving the palate dried long after each sip.

M - This one is definitely a big hoppy beer with plenty of delicious flavors and moderate carbonation. Not as sticky sweet as I was expecting it to be, although it is definitely still very sweet, with a fairly dry finish that leaves me wanting more.

O - I was expecting this to be good but it ended up being really good. I also had a bottle of this one that wasn't as good as this was so I am glad I got to try it on-tap as well. Nice work Stone!

4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

Slightly hazed amber color with a white head. Huge citrus aroma, pine, and tropical fruit. A light floral note, mild malty sweetness, but mostly hops, which is impressive for such a high gravity beer. Really great grapefruit, peach, and tropical fruit. A moderate pine bitterness, and a bit of malt sweetness. Really a great beer.

Stone RuinTen Triple IPA from Stone Brewing