16th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

Added by CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

3.8

Ratings: 1,395 |  Reviews: 393
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance – This is light orange and clear in the body with a pure white, modest head.

Smell – The hops are large but very complex. Usually a big hop bomb like this is almost all pine at the nose but this one is a bouquet. It’s hard to pick everything out but the traditional West Coast collection has a hefty balance of Amarillos.

The malts are equally complex and although you have to hunt through the hops to find them it is well worth the effort. They are slightly carmeled and a little bit toasted.

Taste – The hops are equally impressive at the taste and the malts are a little more assertive. Together this is balanced towards hops of course but isn’t one-sided.

Mouthfeel – This isn’t super big like some DIPAs, I’d say medium-bodied, with a strong bitter bite and very light on the carbonation.

Drinkability – This will be too much for most but for those of us who have worshipped the brewery and are completely amazed at how they continue to find different iterations of their unique brewing style it won’t disappoint.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

22oz bottle poured into a large mug

Pours a nice coppery tan with a good sized beige head, clear with no sediment, lots of fine slow carbonation throughout. Smell is citrus and hops. Nothing exciting, but fresh and nice smelling.

Taste is a mixture of citric bitter (lots) and flowery sweetness and plenty of hops. Malty sweetness, too.

Mouthfeel is medium thickness, slightly sticky. Overall, this is a pretty solid beer with an interesting floral tinge.

3.97/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a deep translucent red, with a fluffy off-white head.

Smell is big hops (Stone, you say?), floral, grassy, bit of citrus (primarily lemon). The lemon is actually less pronounced than I thought. This is good, but a bit mild on the lemon. Smells like a variant on most other Stone IPAs I've had.

Lemon comes through a bit more on the taste, but it's actually got a pretty big caramel malt backbone. A lot more malts than I was expecting, especially based on the smell. Nicely hoppy, very bitter, crisp finish. Lemon, earthiness, a bit of a floral taste.

Mouthfeel is light (though maybe not as light as I'd like), crisp, decent carbonation.

This is a solid IPA, no doubt. But, it is certainly not a must-have. I like it, but I can't help but be a bit disappointed after the incredible beer that was Ruination X.

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

3.61/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours beautifully with a clear, copper color, tiny bubbles swirling toward the surface. A two-finger, meringue head formed that several minutes later remains a solid coating over the beverage.

Smell is pretty nice; not of the pedigree that lulls me into a brief, dreamlike, interludial trip to hop heaven. But there are definite hints of the promised lemon, and fruity, tropical, and spicy-peppery notes jump out as well.

Lemon; spice; lingering bitterness and warmth mixed with lemon flavor turns metallic and somewhat astringent throughout a lengthy finish. The body is surprisingly lithe and nimble for a 10% brew. A round sweetness pervades mid-quaff, but fades quickly as the lemony tang and bitter hops take over.

Overall I appreciate the beer; it's good to taste the lemon with more traditional double IPA flavors. However, it's not a combination that would produce repeat purchases from me if it were a regular release.

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

August 2012 is printed on the bottle.

A= Pours a totally translucent light amber color. Looks like a carbonated apple juice to me with a finger of head on it that holds steady leaving some decent retention.

S= Smells pungently fruity. Seemingly a little sweeter on the nose than most IIPAs. Digging deep I can some up with a little lemon but not much. I had to look for it.

T= The taste is quite unique. It hits with a ton of sweet hops. The fruity hop flavor is supported with a heavy malty sweetness. Without the hops backing this up it would be cloyingly sweet to me. At first I was a little skeptical about the lemon but after a few sips I can notice it on the finish. It's more of a lemon zest sort of taste in the finish. I'm also noticing upon further sips a sort of lemon oil coating on the tongue that leaves a zesty flavor in the taste.

M= A nice weight and carbonation.

O= This beer is a little sweet to me for an IIPA. The lemon zest is a weird component and I didn't notice it at first but after a few sips it seems to grow stronger and stronger. Worth checking out but this isn't something I would go crazy for. A solid beer for sure and I appreciate the experimentation.

4.36/5  rDev +14.7%

Appearance: I cannot find a single fault with the appearance of this beer. Beautiful amber-brown in color with a solid head that refuses to go away.

Smell: Everything you expect from the aroma of an IPA with well balanced blasts of lemongrass, citrus, and spice. Very inviting.

Taste: Very unique flavor. Strong hop flavor of course but within the taste is what the aroma promised; lemongrass, citrus, and spice. On top of that, there is a certain baked bread flavor that I cannot quite put my finger on.

Mouthfeel: Great balance of body to the flavor. Just the right amount of carbonation to the body. Well done.

Overall: I'm a big fan of this beer by Stone and of Stone in general. They never cease to impress me.

3.58/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a clear copper color with a finger of loose off white foamy head. Head dissipates to a thin collar after a while, leaving a good amount of sticky lacing.

Nose is grapefruit and citrus peel, herbal bitterness, caramel sweetness and a boozy fruity ester.

Citrus and herbal hop bitterness upfront, continuing to lighter floral and citrus peel fruitiness. A bit of caramel malt but the hop dominates. Very dry finish, with long lingering citrus pith bitterness and a boozy warmth.

Medium body, mildly carbonated, but relatively easy to drink. The abv is fairly prevalent in aroma but not too bad while drinking it. Though by the end of the bomber, you will definitely see that it's a high abv dipa.

2.11/5  rDev -44.5%

Pours a clear brassy gold in the glass with a solid 2-finger white head. Lacing is nice. But unfortunately, that's where the good news ends. Honestly, I think those people rating this beer in the "3" or "4" range are being overly generous just because this came from the Stone brewery, because it definitely doesn't deserve it.

I give the aroma a solid "2". And that's being generous. the smell is like a potpourri of weird floral scents, lemongrass, with an odd spicy note that reminds me of Thai soup. Definitely doesn't smell like something I'm keen on drinking. But despite the off-putting aromas, I press on and take a sip.

The taste doesn't get any better... The flavors are much like the aroma. An odd melange of acrid flavors heavily based on lemongrass. It's difficult to pick out the hops, but I assume they're there somewhere. Is this an IPA? Who can tell? As to the mouthfeel, well, it's fine. But who cares at this point?

Stone usually hits the mark, but not with this one. Honestly one of the worst "high end" brews I've ever had. Let this serve as a warning to others. I can't get my $8 back, but maybe you can avoid wasting your time and money on this stuff. It's borderline undrinkable, quite frankly.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%