16th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

Added by CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

3.8

Ratings: 1,395 |  Reviews: 393

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Aroma is VERY hoppy - not quite evergreen, more woody than resiny, but seriously hoppy nonetheless, with an undertone of sour orange. It pours a beautiful clear coppery amber with a fairly thick pale copper head. Extremely hoppy flavor has strong evergreen and woody notes but minimal bitterness, as well as, undertones of citrus and rye and a hint of honey. Full body has plenty of tingle and life, leaving a fizzy, hoppy, slightly sweet finish. An excellent Imperial IPA - catch it before it flies away!

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

4.32/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I currently live in Pensacola after moving from San Marcos, CA. I'm very used to drinking the local SD beers however we tend to get them months after their production date.

The weather down here is very warm, and I have to say this beer is an excellent complement.

It has had some time to mellow and it comes through. The color is a lovely orange to a lighter color that resembles their ruination.

The nose is interesting because you're trying to find the lemon, but I honestly think that if this was a blind taste test you wouldn't be able to smell it over the typical hop nose.

The taste is what I would call very refreshing. I hesitate to use that terminology due to certain trademarked slogans. But it almost resembles a Thai tea lemon flavor that blends very well with the already bitter hop characteristic. And the flavor dissipates very quickly leaving a clean feeling on the pallet.

I'm a hop head myself, the bitter the better. This one kicks fairly well for aging this long, but the 10% ABV is completely undedectable.

All and all and awesome brew. I honestly thought I wasn't going to like it, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Clear, golden-orange in color. This beer has a soapy, bright white head...it leaves the glass draped in lace. The aroma is flowery and fruity...citrus, and some peach like scents. Soft malt, spicy, earthy hops. The taste is complex and engaging. Lots of fruit and a solid hop bitterness and flavor. Semi sweet, spicy, herbal, and enjoyable. I get a lot of fruit, but I am not sure that I would call it 'lemony', despite the ingredients. The complexity, however, and the balance/flavor profile are well crafted. Firm body, lingering bitterness. Exceptionally good.

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing