16th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

Added by CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

Ratings: 1,395 |  Reviews: 393

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from "bomber" bottle into a tulip glass.
Copper/amber in color, with a cascading head of off-white foam.
Aroma-Big bouquet of citrussy hops
Taste-Lemony, spicy rye notes, toasted malt, fruity and hoppy. A lot going on here. Almost too much, as everything just kind of swirls around without achieving a balance of flavor. A good food pairing could help matters greatly. Schezuan or Mongolian BBQ come to mind.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Fresh bomber poured into a globe glass, showing a clear light copper with half an inch of slightly off white foam. Decent retention and lace from a steady boil of carbonation.

Aroma of citrus and pine and moderately coarse in nature. Bit of lemon and mango but surely not the lemon oil/pledge others pick up on. I've had beers with that aroma and I'm glad it isn't too flamboyant here. Instead I get a subtle floral/lemon spice note, though a bit too much agitation does push the potpourri essence a bit much.

Flavor follows with hop spice dominant along with a surprisingly light malt backbone. Even warm the alcohol is hardly evident on the aroma or taste, and that's without an obvious malty coverup. Bit of citric/orange malt is present but doesn't come across as being viscous or debilitating/cloying. Offers a good carbonation and a creamy feel. Bitterness is quite subtle and balanced, especially for Stone.

Overall a well done brew that gently nudges the rules without bending them too much. Head lacks a bit as for stickiness and the aroma is solid yet not riveting. Nonetheless, at 10% this beer drinks silly smooth. Use caution.

3.25/5  rDev -14.7%

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

4.16/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured from a bomber into a Duvel tulip

A- pours a crystal clear shade of orange with a puffy, two finger head. Amazing looking beer, can't find any fault at all

S- light citrus, a decent bit of lemon, some nice rye coming through as well. Solid

T- I'm getting an even mix of the lemon and the rye, a bitter, spicy flavor. The bitterness lingers for awhile, but it doesn't cripple you like something like Ruination. Balanced pretty well IMO

M- medium bodied, on the heavy side....no complaints here

O- typical great IPA from Stone. Better than the 14th Anny, worse then Ruination 10th, and about even with the 15th. Well done

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.97/5  rDev +4.2%

Honied apricot colored with an eggshell colored frothy head that recedes a bit, but leaves a firm cap. Legs of lace reach up the sides of the glass as it's drained. Inviting aroma of sweetish malt, citrus, and honey. Rich flavors of big fat malt, citrus, brown sugar, and some alcoholic sweetness. Firm bitterness offsetting the malty sweetness. Full and creamy mouthfeel, slight warming of the cheeks. Great beer.

2.34/5  rDev -38.6%

Clear light amber color with a 3 finger foamy white head, with good retention and lacing. The aroma has lemon, grapefruit, citrus zest, and some spice.

The taste is heavy on lemons and citrus zest. There is very little grapefruit, some soapiness, and some spice. Definitely a disappointment. Harshly bitter to drink, and not what I would expect from one of my favorite breweries.

Medium bodied, plenty of carbonation, and it has a strongly bitter aftertaste. I hate to say it, but this beer is a train wreck.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

Consumed 8/28/12

Appearance: Clear, light amber - copper, gold when held to the light - little, white head that fades to a little ring - leaves a few specs of lacing

Smell: Lemon candy is center stage. but there are a lot of aromas in here - lemon, touches of other citrus (grapefruit), and some tropical notes (pineapple chunks), and some dry pine needles - some spiciness, slightly herbal, with a touch of grass - some booze - overall it kind of smells like tea, loaded with lemon, with a packet of sugar

Taste: Again, liquid lemon candy - hints of grapefruits, but it's mostly just lemon rinds - spicy rye, more spicy than the smell would suggest - earthy, herbal, grassy - some cooked, yet dry, bready malts - some tea-like flavors - kind of reminiscent of an Arnold Palmer, but with booze (apparently called a John Daly... hmmm)

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, oily, slick, adequately carbonated, a bit sticky

Overall: Ok, but weird

I like this, but it's not really what I was expecting. Maybe I just don't appreciate lemon enough. Honestly, I actually had to look up what "lemon verbena" was. Apparently it's a shrub (thank you, Wikipedia). That may explain the tea-like properties. Anyway, I love Stone, and I may revert to believing that the Ruination Tenth Anniversary IPA was actually the 16th anniversary beer. Because that kicked ass. This does not.

Update: I grew tired of the taste quickly after starting to drink the second half of my bomber. And I woke up the next morning with a raging headache, sick to my stomach, and sweating uncontrollably. Either my body hates this beer or I got a 6-hour West Nile virus. Taste and overall scores have been reduced slightly from my previous scoring.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear orange-red body with a tall white head. The lacing is brief.

Smells of orange, herbal, and slight lemon. The herbal aspect seems to cover up the pleasant citrus.

Ugh, not exactly what I was expecting. It's overly bitter and tastes like sucking on a stale tea bag. There's some redeeming orange flavor, but I keep coming back to the heavy herbal taste. The lemon is almost non-existant.

I don't like the mouthfeel much, either. It's dry and bitter, but in a cottonmouth kind of way. It almost leaves me parched.

Unfortunately, this one was a disappointment to me. I absolutely love Stone and this one was a detour from their usual path. It just didn't work.

16th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing