16th Anniversary IPA | Stone Brewing

16th Anniversary IPA16th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

We've been loving creating Collaboration beers with great creative brewers from all over the world these last several years-unique beers that would never have existed without the free-flowing imagination and idea generation of the collaborative process. However, when it comes to the Stone Anniversary Ales, it's all us. Yet, it is indeed still a collaboration with great creative brewers (if we do say so ourselves). We're talking about our own brewing team, of course. And while some of our beers, anniversary and otherwise, have been designed by a single person, the Stone 16th Anniversary IPA was definitely a team effort.

This year our brewing team was inspired by some exotic-ish additions of the lemony persuasion. Yes, it's a Double IPA (can you really say you're surprised?), but as we strive to do with all our Stone Anniversary Ales of the let's-take-this-IPA-in-a-new-direction variety, we've brewed up a Stone-worthy divergence from tradition. The amount of rye malt we used isn't quite enough to warrant the appellation "Rye IPA," but it still adds hints of spiciness that contrast deliciously with the tropical fruit flavors and aromas of the Amarillo and Calypso hops. Add a few European specialty malts, some lemon verbena, and three more hop varieties to the mix, and you have a highly complex brew melding both bitter and fruity hop notes with rich toasted malt character punctuated by nuances of spicy rye and subtle lemon.

Added by CloudStrife on 08-10-2012

Ratings: 1,395 |  Reviews: 393
1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

3.93/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: pours an orange color with a 1" head that lasts. It slowly falls to a thick surface foam.

Smell: lemon, earthy hops, and some caramel come through to the nose.

Taste: caramel, lemon, spicy rye, earthy hop bitterness, and a mild fruitiness creates a well balanced flavors. Alcohol is noticeable and warming.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Lightly crisp to start, smoother at the finish. There is a bit of dryness arriving late.

Overall: a slower sipping big DIPA that has a nice spicy and earthy flavor. Enjoyable beer.

3.7/5  rDev -2.9%

This beer got progressively worse as it warmed up. Served in a Stone 15th anniversary snifter. Beer is amber / yellow and hazy with a white head, small bubbles tight, some lacing, moderate retention, some carbonation. Looks good.

Aroma is lemony and sweet, with some hops in there.

Beer is lemony and sweet, a little malty up front but a decent finish overall. The more it warmed however the more like Lemon Pledge it tasted. It gets rougher and rougher. I finish the thing but it is too much for me. I don't think I'd have it again.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

3.04/5  rDev -20.2%

I don't know. I just don't. Something in this beer is hitting me wrongly. Looks good, no question. The aroma is a bit like lemon Pledge and flowers. Maybe it's just that I expected hops. It's similar to hops, and hops are there, but the weird lemon thing....

For a base, the malt is great. A bit of spice, some caramel, but mostly it's sturdy toasted biscuit.

Feels like an IPA, abv is hidden very well. Normally a 22oz of Stone is fine. This one I shared b/c I wanted to. I don't know

3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

22 oz bottle
Served into a globe glass

A: Fairly clear amber copper colored body with a creamy, bubbly off-white one finger head. Lacing is pretty good as well as nice amounts of retention on the surface.

S: Big citrus hops, lemon and orange oil, sweet sugary malts. Sort of reminded me of a sugar-coated orange slice candy with touches of floral hops too.

T: More lemon and orange oil up front, almost as if this were some sort of extract; very potent. Citrus, floral and a dash of piney hops on the palate. Finish is fairly bitter into the linger.

M: Just a bit thin though it does have a nice feel and creaminess for the style. Easy drinking with a small amount of alcohol.

This was a nice beer but the oils just were a bit too much at times I felt. If those could have been dialed back a bit to let more of the rich malts and floral hops come out, this would be a big winner.

3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Fresh bottle from August 2012 poured in to Bruery tulip.

A - Translucent light to medium orange. One finger of creamy off-white head that reduced to a thin layer. Good lacing.

S - Grapefruit, peach, lemon and a spiciness present. The lemon is not as pungent as I expected, which is a good thing. A slight caramel malt backbone adds another layer of complexity to a nice nose.

T - A big bitter hop punch up front with some lemon zest and lighter grapefruit and orange notes. Some spiciness is present, alo

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

3.83/5  rDev +0.5%

Stone 16th Anniversary IPA

LOOK: Orange colored brew, with good clarity. Soapy foam lasts the duration and leaves good lace. Looks like an oily, sticky IpA.

SMELL: Citrus, typically lemon and grapefruit and some pineapple notes. Pine, grass and honey round things out.

TASTE: Herbal tones are strong from lemon verbena. Oily hops and lemon influences are also well pronounced. Decent balance of sweetness, herbal qualities and bitterness. The alcohol is not very apparent in the taste.

FEEL: Full bodied, crisp carbonation. Flavor of hop, lemon and herb linger.

OVERALL: As solid as ever, stone creates another hop monster.

4.23/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours a medium copper color with a small white, creamy head and light carbonation.

S - Pungent lemon pith, citrus rind, pine, spicy herbal aroma that initially smells almost minty.

T - Even taste throughout the sip, lots of spice, pithy lemon rind, pine, grapefruit, spice, and herbs - everything blends evenly and nothing is overbearing.

M - Medium full body, slick, viscous, resinous, smooth carbonation, and leaves a spicy rye, lemon, grapefruit/pine coating in the mouth that lingers for several minutes.

O - The blend is unique for an IPA, everything balances very well, and you need to seek this one while it's fresh.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Beer review #1300!

22oz bottle from Bear World Watertown NY for 8$

Appearance - Slightly hazy copper colour with an above average size fizzy/frothy off-white coloured head. There a low amount of carbonation and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for 4-5 minutes.

Smell - Malts, hops, oranges, grapefruit, lemons

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste hops and malts mixed with grapefruit, pineapple and lemon. There is also some pine/resin mixed with a herbal flavour (rosemarry/menthol? can't put mu finger on it). It ends with a fairly hoppy bitter citrusy aftertaste.

Overall - While it may not be a spectacular beer, I can at least appreciate that they are trying to do something different/original. I probably won't buy another bottle, but it was well worth 8$ to try it.

4.23/5  rDev +11%

bottle split with oglmcdgl

Stone 16th pours out nice like with a bright golden look with some burnt yellow highlights. The white foam builds up to two inches and leaves some nice clings on the glass. A nice lively looking beer with retention.

Smell is ultra hoppy at this young stage, with a nice heaping of the C-Hops giving of citrus rind out the wazoo. Yes, I get the lemon essense in this along with some more tropics, not that much pine. Just a hit of some pale malt keeping things in check. A earthy grassy appeal towards the end with some alc.

And this is anice beer, too nice perhaps, Realy easy to drink with lemon, orange, mango and some faint peach. The bitterness is there yet not scorching. Lighter tropics in the middle with a twist of bubblegum leading into the semi malty finish. A all around beer.

Feel is medium bodied with some nice bubbles going for it. Lively in the mouth, a long aftertaste with some lemonheads. I could of did the whole bomber easily.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a copper amber color with good head retention and lacing. The nose is likewise attractive, as I pick up some light lemon, dry citrus and light pine. The flavor profile replicates the nose, but there's more of a malt presence than I expected, and the finish is alcoholic and hot. The beer has good bitterness, but it's not enough to counter the sweet malty alcohol flavor, and I don't think the lemon flavor helps a whole lot. Mourhfeel is medium bodied with a long, bitter, alcoholic finish. Drinkability is very poor... cannot imagine trying to down an entire bomber of this beer.

While not terrible, I think this is a miss for Stone. I had a difficult time even drinking the sampler size glass I got, and drinking the beer side by side with the excellent Stone double dry hop IPA really put things into perspective. Am not impressed with this one.

3.11/5  rDev -18.4%

Clear deeply amber colored ale with a small white head. This is the color I call IPA Orange.

Smell is citrus and soap with tea scent. There is a delicate floral scent that is not obscured by the hops. The best I can describe the floral scent is roses. That said it isn't that aromatic.

Starts out semi-dry and savory without any complexities. Alcohol stings the tongue a bit. Alcohol warms the chest without really being detectable in the taste. Strong tea and wood with a little burnt sugar taste. Reasonably bitter. Honestly not that flavorful.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall I am severely disappointed. Stone can make better beer than this. I will try this again at a later date and confirm or revise my low opinion of this beer.

3.26/5  rDev -14.4%

Enjoyed in my Detroit hotel room... Picked up in Lansing at a party supply store... Can't remember the name.

Pours a polished clear lite amber... very pretty... off white head shows for about an inch and drops back pretty quickly but leaves behind decent drapes of lacing..

Nose shows herby lemon.. a bit of sorta soapy fruitiness.. just enough pale malt to balance... something that I identify with menthol with warmth, but I can't really pick out.. flowery.. almost potpourri (not a compliment)...

Flavor certainly has the traditional SoCal DIPA qualities, but they seem to get lost in a bit of astringent notes.. Big bitterness right up front.. "NOW I know what lemon verbena tastes like", too much.. reminds me of a dry tea... The malts are the tie that binds... Not really digging it.. Potpourri is a good comparison.

Expected body and carbonation... Stone does no wrong.

Overall though.. I think this one for me is maybe only a two or bottle buy... Seems pretty decent fresh, but just too abrasive and shows nothing interesting. Smells and tastes like a "flower shop" with warmth.. Okay, and I appreciate what they are going for, but it is just not in my liking.

4/3/3/4/3.5