Stone Enjoy By IPA | Stone Brewing

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing
stonebrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Added by nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Ratings: 10,773 |  Reviews: 1,500
3.51/5  rDev -20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Went to the store looking to get a 4 pack of Double Jack and came out with a six pack of Stone Enjoy by 10.31.15 instead - cost a little over $18 after taxes. I will start off by saying Enjoy By has always been hit or miss for me. Anyway, onto the categories

Pretty slow pour into a Spiegelau IPA glass:

Look [4.5] - A nice deep golden color with plenty of white, butty head. Absolutely no bubbles flowing up - not a big deal. The color is what you'd expect from a standard American IPA - good head retention and lace following the glass quite well. You wouldn't think this beer is 9.4% abv judging by the appearance.

Smell [3.75] - An orange/mango aroma followed by a spicy, bitter aroma. Mimics the taste quite well.

Taste [3.25] - This is where the disappointment set in for me. As the beer hits your tongue you get a splash of orange and mango followed by pure hop bitterness. As someone who considers themselves a hop head, I welcome the occasional bitter bite, but in this beer, it seems to be a very sloppy transition. As the beer warms up, the bitterness is prevalent from start to finish, which actually improves the taste and you get a more complex hop flavor, still not much malt, which I can understand that this is the nature of this very time sensitive DIPAs.

Feel [4] - Great mouth feel. Just enough carbonation combined with a slight creaminess - this really saves the beer for me. The beer goes down quite smooth despite the absolute hop-dominated profile. Really love the mouth feel.

Overall [3.5] Not a bad imperial IPA by any means, but considering the price tag, this beer is nothing special. The well balanced mouth feel is the real standout for this beer for me. The taste is what you'd expect from a Stone Enjoy By DIPA - hops, hops, hops. As much as I love double IPAs, I tend to rely on some malt backbone - even as someone who enjoys a pungent hop taste, the lack of a malt presence really leaves a bit to be desired. I wouldn't recommend picking up the 6 pack if you're looking for a good DIPA. I wish I had picked up the bomber instead. This beer is pure Stone - lots of hops. That being said, unless you let the beer warm up a bit, you won't taste the or notice the 9.4% ABV whatsoever. Letting it warm up, there's a slight heat to it, which I do enjoy. Otherwise at 35-40 F this beer is deceptively drinkable for anyone well versed in west coast IPAs.

3.53/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale clear orange color with lots of bubbles sticking to my glass. Nice fluffy off white head that falls to a ring with some nice lace.

Aroma is bright citrus, pine fresh hops. Not much malts. Overall not what i would expect from Stone descent but not mind blowing.

Taste is like the aroma not much malts noticed just bright hops fruity mango, tobacco notes with pine resin notes in the finish. whole thing seems light for Stone even hops are not over the top body even seems light, would of never guessed this one was more then 6%.

Mouthfeel is light for a double IPA carbonation is light side.

Overall not bad just not as good as I was expecting.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

They used an onion hop, either CZT or Nelson, and I'm sorry but I don't want onions or garlic in my beer. Just my opinion, sorry IPA geeks.

3.54/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

November 30th, 2012 - Stone's next iteration in the expiration series demands a pre-Christmas consumption. The color is the standard grain colored gold with a white head and a short statured head, and from this we catch touches of a bright and weedy smell. Grassy memories of soccer matches as a kid and clumsy face first tumbles into the turf are conjured here in the scent, with some spurts of pineapple juice, and even a bite or two of fresh, peppery mango. The flavor is milder than expected, given the nose, with a balanced mellowness. The intensity of the flavor is flat and predictable, consistent from beginning to end, but hoppy and well colored. It's that Stone hop profile that's practically Koch's signature, but it works well here, with all its marijuana and orange overtones, and once again, I am inclined to drinking this well before its date.

3.54/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -19.1%

I understand there is a huge demand right now for Double IPA hop assault beers. And Stone’s masterful play to this demand with the Enjoy By series has to be appreciated. They are not just playing to the market, they are also making multiple crazy hop balanced, big IPAs, that make your palate ride that sharp toothy edge of huge IBUs without drawing blood. If you know how to brew, you know it’s not easy to do.

Appearance 3.5: Slightly warm, glowing, golden color. Medium, white, lasting head. Laces well.

Aroma 3.5: Hop characters come across as pine tips, eucalyptus blossom, chamomile, and dank musky sage. A little wet alfalfa. No malt characters to speak of.

Taste 3.5: Aggressive peppery pine bittering. Most of the citrus peel and floral aromas are from the hop aromas invading the taste space. Malt provides a blank canvas only, carries no character to speak of.

Mouthfeel 3.0: Medium light body. Hop oil slippery to start – turns fast to astringent and bitter/dry. Alcohol heat and astringent hop bitterness finish in the mouth and throat. Somewhat medicinal.

Overall impression 4.0: This is a liquid delivery system for hop bitterness, astringency, and flavor. It stands back on balance in delivering fresh hop aroma. Other than to provide a carriage for hop characters, the malt and yeast profiles are nonexistent. I rate the overall higher for the novelty of a clean, dry, and very Stone execution of a hop assault. It reminds me of Pliny the Younger – where PTY is a laser beam focused hop weapon, this Enjoy By is a polished hop boulder to the palate. Another well done hop monster from Stone.

I get it, it’s a fun ride – but still, I’m a balance and nuance guy.

-- bct

3.56/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Enjoy By 11.12.13
Appearance:
The beer pours a decent and creamy white head. The beer itself a clear orange honey color but that is slightly foggy but that may be because of the glass.

Smell:
The smell has several types of hopes. One of them appears to be floral and another appears to be closer to a grapefruit smell. The sweet malts also make an appearance. Additionally, there also appears to be a bit of fresh grass smell as well.

Taste:
Very bitter hops dominate the taste palate and finish. Additionally, there also bits of alcohol that makes its way through. The malt makes a slight appearance but the hops are so bitter that it's hard to make it out.

Mouthfeel:
Very thick and heavy bodied. The finish feels heavy and lasts a bit that does not give it a very good feel.

Overall:
An okay DIPA under some circumstances but does not really do anything for me. Maybe I'll have to drink one of these earlier than the expiration date. Some people might like the Enjoy be a certain date DIPA gimmick but I'm not one of them.

3.56/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Lightly chilled 22 oz bomber into a 12 oz stemless tulip. Enjoy by 4.1.13.

Look- Clear medium amber with two fingers of dense frothy eggshell head. Decent lacing, good retention.

Smell- Standard profile but well executed. Honey, biscuit, fir needles, mint. Bubblegum in the background. Swirling brings out a more resinous aroma.

Taste- Similar to the nose, but calmer. Strongly reminds me of Nugget Nectar. Floral, pine throughout, orange blossom honey, lingering grapefruit pith and modest bittering.

Mouthfeel- Full, chewy, medium carbonation. Light prickle, on the whole a substantial feel- on the hefty side.

Overall- I had this on tap about a week ago and enjoyed it much more than I'm feeling this bottle at the moment- I'm thinking it's just a bit undercarbonated. As it sits it's a better-than-average DIPA and it's well marketed, but it's just not capturing my attention. High price point, not quite as good as the Nugget leaves me wishing for more. Worth trying, nice to see a national release like this. I'd probably buy it again.

3.58/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4-20-14 Enjoy By

A- fairly clear (a tad hazy), copper, orange hue. Appealing.

S- excellent nose. Pine!!!! Some grass, too. Some floral notes to boot.

T- big full wallop of resin (and that pine), lingers throughout. Bitter soon follows and strengthens at the end. Didn't note much of the citrus thing, unfortunately, compared to some the other reviews.

M- big, full, dry.

O- I'm a sucker for Stone (love Ruination!), and easily fall prey to the "enjoy by" campaign, so I'm a lock to try each offering. Not sure how long they've been doing this (started last year, I think), but I really, really liked the one I had in '13. That said, I'm glad I bought the 4-20-14. I "enjoyed" it, but won't be picking up another. A quality IPA, indeed, but not worth another round. Look forward to future offerings.

Cheers all!

3.59/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

It poured relatively flat and had no real lacing. The beer had a nice citrus smell. It was well balanced for an ABV of 9.4 percent, as the taste of alcohol was not over whelming. Definitely warming after a few sips. It just was not one of my favorites.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

Maybe it me, but all Stone beers have a similar "tinge" to them.

3.6/5  rDev -18%

Hop heads delight, as it says on the bottle it is devistingly dank. Almost a palette wrecker

3.61/5  rDev -17.8%